PDA

View Full Version : Low voter turnout could change primary outcome

hotbrownsauce
08-10-2010, 03:54 PM
From http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/WWE_News_3/article_43021.shtml

McMahon's campaign recently launched a mass campaign trying to reach voters to encourage them to actually vote. McMahon said in a recent interview her main concern with the primary race today would be low voter turnout.

From http://blogs.courant.com/capitol_watch/2010/08/very-low-turnout-in-primary-ro.html

Low Turnout In Connecticut Primary: Roughly Only 20 Percent At 4 p.m.; Bysiewicz Now Predicts 30 Percent

Turnout is extremely low in many places across the state as voters are on vacation during some of the most important primaries in decades. It is the first time in decades that there are open seats for both the U.S. Senate and the governor, and many observers say that it is the most interesting year in Connecticut politics since 1970.

Secretary of the State Susan Bysiewicz said the updated numbers show an average turnout of about 20 percent as of 4 p.m..

"We could get up to 30 percent or higher, depending on the town,'' Bysiewicz told Capitol Watch. "Some of the towns where they have had more have probate primaries or legislative primaries.''

Bysiewicz had originally projected a turnout as high as 50 percent because there are 44 primaries today for the U.S. Senate, governor, state Senator, state representative, and probate judge. She said the number of primaries would generate a higher turnout than the 43 percent in the August 2006 primary between Democrats Ned Lamont and Joseph I. Lieberman. The all-time high was in February 2008 for the Democratic presidential primary of Barack Obama vs. Hillary Clinton at more than 50 percent.

"There seems to be less interest than in both of those races,'' Bysiewicz said. "We're encouraging people to keep it up to 8 o'clock.''

See some pictures of voters going out the polls here.

Av Harris, a spokesman for Bysiewicz, said the numbers are a rough average from the towns.

"It will go up, but that's pretty low,'' Harris said. "It's the middle of August, and you don't have the high profile race like Lieberman and Lamont [from 2006]. You don't have anything like that this time around.''

Despite heavy news coverage in newspapers and on blogs, plus a huge amount of television commercials, some voters are not engaged, he said.

"People are on vacation,'' Harris said. "There's been a lot of advertising on TV, but a lot of it is negative. It turns people off.''

The turnout varies from town to town with some better than others.

As of 4 p.m., for example, the shoreline town of Westbrook has a 27 percent turnout for Republicans and 25 percent for Democrats, based on statistics sent to Bysiewicz's office.

The following information is all as of 4 p.m.

Wilton: 17 percent for both Republicans and Democrats.

Woodbridge: 16 percent for Republicans and 9.8 percent for Democrats

Torrington: about 13 percent for both parties

Glastonbury: about 18 percent for both parties.

ELECTION RESULTS
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/elections/2010/by_state/CT_Page_0810.html?SITE=CTHARELN&SECTION=POLITICS

Legend1104
08-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Heres to voter apathy.

dannno
08-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Go Peter!!

amonasro
08-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Well just when I thought it was over, things get interesting. 13% turnout in some precincts, and many people are on vacation. I'm gonna be jonesing for my forum fix on my iPhone during rehearsal tonight. Could get me in trouble. :)