PDA

View Full Version : Down to the wire in Colorado for Ken Buck

bobbyw24
08-10-2010, 05:06 AM
DENVER — The week leading up to Colorado's pair of cliffhanger Senate primaries has featured a New York Times story calling into question the incumbent senator's past judgment on financial risk, a hastily arranged presidential tele-town hall meeting and a visit from Sen. John McCain on behalf of a fallen GOP front runner.

But it’s unclear how much impact any of this final flurry of activity will have because even though primary day is technically Tuesday, most of the election is already over.

With a majority of Colorado counties using the mail in system, it's estimated that more than half of expected voters — upwards of 200,000 in each party— had already cast ballots by Friday.

It's a unique situation where a last-minute attack or development may not pack the expected punch.

That could be the case with the New York Times story on Friday that described in exhaustive detail the financial strategy Sen. Michael Bennet, while serving as Denver school superintendent, used in trying to rescue the system’s endangered teacher pension fund. According to the Times account, “the transaction went awry,” costing the school system $25 million more than it anticipated.

The Times story appeared "at a time when roughly 250,000 Democrats had already cast their votes in the primary," said University of Denver political science professor Seth Masket. “If that story caused any of them to change their minds, it was too late to make a difference in the election,” he said.

But, Masket added, "It's been nearly 40 years since we've had two contested Senate primaries alongside a contested gubernatorial primary, so our turnout estimates are rough guesses.”

The early vote totals certainly haven't stopped all sides from taking their best shots in hopes of swaying those last-minute potential participants that could still number in the tens of thousands.

Recent polls had indicated that it was the two candidates who have positioned themselves as outsiders – Republican Ken Buck and Andrew Romanoff, Bennet’s Democratic opponent - who seemed to hold the advantage in a western state that's become the latest test case of anti-establishment fervor.

But two new polls from Public Policy Polling released Monday showed Bennet with a small lead and the Republican race too close to call.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0810/40827.html#ixzz0wCTfuJRf

itshappening
08-10-2010, 05:26 AM
Oh good, another chance to discredit PPP when Buck wins easily

speciallyblend
08-10-2010, 06:08 AM
don't forget we have bigger races then Ken buck;) we have Carl Bruning and Kevin Cannell and untold amount of Liberty candidates running across the state of colorado;) I will bring updates for our county this evening;) I hope Ken Buck Wins! but i am not 100% sold on Ken Buck either! A Ken Buck Win is a Kick in the balls to the gop establishment state and national;)

A Kevin Cannell or Carl Bruning Win is several kicks in the balls and a slap to the face for the failed gop establishment. lets hope there is plenty of ball kicking today;)

bobbyw24
08-10-2010, 06:09 AM
don't forget we have bigger races then Ken buck;) we have Carl Bruning and Kevin Cannell and untold amount of Liberty candidates running across the state of colorado;) I will bring updates for our county this evening;) I hope Ken Buck Wins! but i am not 100% sold on Ken Buck either! A Ken Buck Win is a Kick in the balls to the gop establishment state and national;)

A Kevin Cannell or Carl Bruning Win is several kicks in the balls and a slap to the face for the failed gop establishment. lets hope there is plenty of ball kicking today;)

Great points--thanks for the reminders

speciallyblend
08-10-2010, 06:11 AM
Great points--thanks for the reminders

Ken Buck is a big race but locally i think Carl Bruning and Kevin Cannell are huge as well!!! the revolution continues;) Liberty Candidates 2010,Ron Paul 2012