PDA

View Full Version : "For Liberty" docum3ntary inching close to Netflix acquisition - help write synopsis!

AdamT
08-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Netflix Mockup
http://www.forlibertymovie.com/images/netflix_mock.jpg

Netflix finally acknowledged our submission through their acquisition process, and they requested information to officially add the title to their site. It will be added as a "saved" title to measure queue demand. If the queue grows to an acceptable number (they didn't say the number) they will acquire it! This is an amazing chance to put the film at the fingertips of millions of people via DVD rental and more importantly, instant streaming. Once it's online we'll launch a "Queue Bomb".

We need to write a really good synopsis that will lure browsing viewers to watch the full 2 hour film. You can help. If you've seen the film (you can watch it here (http://www.forlibertymovie.com/watch) for free), let's hammer out a kick ass synopsis. 74 words seems to be about the max allowed. Here are 2 versions of some text (obviously too long) to get started. Remember, 74 words max, and keep in mind random browsing viewers here - who may or may not have heard of Ron Paul, the R3V, etc.

VERSION 1

It was politics as un-usual when Texas Congressman Ron Paul decided to step into the 2007-08 presidential race. Hated by his own party and blacklisted by the mainstream media, this unlikely candidate inspired a nation of freedom loving, anti-war individuals to take up the unenviable task of political campaigning on their own terms.

For Liberty: How the Ron Paul Revolution Watered the Withered Tree of Liberty follows this most successful of grassroots campaigns in United States history, and examines what it is that motivates ordinary American citizens to activism. It gives a historical context to recent events such as the notorious ‘Tea Party’ gatherings, and the populace revolt against the Federal Reserve Bank. It takes us into the minds of those passionate for Constitutional governance, and an individualistic unwillingness to be herded into a counter-productive two party system that seems interested in nothing more then government expansion and war mongering.

VERSION 2

As the 2007-08 presidential campaign cycle offered up the usual slate of Washington insiders, Ron Paul, an obscure Congressman from Texas brought an alternative voice that challenged the political establishment.

Advocating a philosophy of sound money, a non-interventionist foreign policy, strict Constitutionalism, and individual liberty, Dr. Paul inspired a unique grassroots movement unmatched in American history - the repercussions of which continue to reverberate today and into the future of the American psyche.

For Liberty: How the Ron Paul Revolution Watered the Withered Tree of Liberty follows this historic campaign from the perspective of grassroots activists, and showcases the unique, often bizarre, yet groundbreaking projects they undertook as they brushed aside traditional campaign methodology.

Sample synopsises of other popular docs on Netflix's site.

Capitalism: A Love Story
Filmmaker Michael Moore (Sicko, Fahrenheit 9/11) takes on capitalism's roots, the floundering U.S. economy, and 2008's global financial meltdown and subsequent bank bailout in this rousing documentary. Combining stories about those who suffer most from Corporate America's greed and insatiable thirst for profits and the people most responsible for myriad crises, Moore embarks on another shocking fact-finding rampage.

Fuel
With America so dependent on oil, filmmaker Joshua Tickell sets out to prove that biodiesel, made from vegetable oil, is a viable alternative. Although politicians and energy execs have done their best to quell it, the benefits of biodiesel are real. This documentary (winner of the Grand Jury Prize at Sundance) chronicles Tickell's quest to popularize the untraditional fuel source, citing the environmental and economic advantages the country could reap by adopting it.

Super Size Me
On the heels of recent lawsuits against McDonald's, director Morgan Spurlock takes a hilarious and often terrifying look at the effects of fast food on the human body, using himself as the proverbial guinea pig. For one month, Spurlock eats nothing but McDonald's, ordering everything on the menu and "super-sizing" his order whenever asked. The result is a sobering examination of the line between personal and corporate responsibility.

AdamT
08-09-2010, 10:49 PM
bump for input

BuddyRey
08-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Bump!

DirtMcGirt
08-10-2010, 09:57 AM
I like what you have- does netflix use key words in search? If so I would add Obama's name in synopsis...

Maybe something like: The 2008 election was a historic event for many United States citizens. The grassroots movements of two candidates, Barrack Obama and Ron Paul in particular, started a firestorm and will remembered across the internet and nation.

For Liberty- captures Ron Paul's rise to prominence within United States politics after freedom loving, anti-war individuals take up the unenviable task of political campaigning on their own terms for a candidate not recognized by the MSM.

I'll edit more tonight when I have some more time to tweak it...

angelatc
08-10-2010, 10:37 AM
to be blunt, Ron Paul is such a polarizing figure I think I'd try to downplay his name in the synopsis. One that that made the movie so engaging was that it wasn't just another fanboy video - when he appeared in it , it seemed like it almost as an afterthought.

This movie makes people happy. It gives them hope. That's something that a couple of the movies cited above don't have going for them. Look at Fuel. I haven't seen it, but the appeal lies in the David v Goliath aspect. It doesn't come across as an angry rant. I'm trying to capture that in my version.

I would want to lure in the TEA Party crowd - after all, they are our creation. Calling them war-mongers isn't exactly extending an olive branch.

I do think that mentioning the two party system in a negative light is a smart call.

And I'm always all about alliteration.

Here's something:

Two filmmakers provide a unique, uplifting glimpse inside an unlikely conservative youth coalition in an era when GOP was a four letter word. Following activists across the country and through the realities of the polarizing two-party political process, Rye and Kealiher successfully chronicle the inspiring genesis of the now topical demand for change from across the entire American political spectrum.

spcmckay
08-10-2010, 01:08 PM
I like version 2.

AdamT
08-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Here's something:

Two filmmakers provide a unique, uplifting glimpse inside an unlikely conservative youth coalition in an era when GOP was a four letter word. Following activists across the country and through the realities of the polarizing two-party political process, Rye and Kealiher successfully chronicle the inspiring genesis of the now topical demand for change from across the entire American political spectrum.

Angie I like where you're going with that. Not sure that's exactly it, but definitely headed in the right direction. Would love more input. I emailed Tom Woods about helping. Not sure if he will or not, but I'm sure he could knock out something pretty bad ass.

dannno
08-10-2010, 06:17 PM
72 words:

For Liberty: How the Ron Paul Revolution Watered the Withered Tree of Liberty follows the most successful of grassroots campaigns in United States history, and examines what it is that motivates ordinary American citizens to activism. It gives a historical context to recent events such as the notorious ‘Tea Party’ gatherings, and the populace revolt against the Federal Reserve Bank. It takes us into the minds of those passionate for Constitutional governance.

AdamT
08-10-2010, 06:24 PM
72 words:

Excellent, except I don't think you need to waste words with the full title at the beginning. Title will already be listed above the description.

curtissthompson
08-10-2010, 10:31 PM
I liked Version 2 and decided to work with that...

I was able to reduce it to 87 words in my first draft without losing any substance as a consequence, and supplemented various terms to make it more accurate and have a broader appeal. Is the 74 word limit definitive, or is that just the largest synopsis you've seen on Netflix?

As the 2008 presidential election offered the usual slate of Washington insiders, Ron Paul, an obscure Congressman from Texas offered a contrarian voice that shook the political establishment.

Advocating a philosophy of fiscal conservatism, a non-interventionist foreign policy, strict Constitutionalism, and individual liberty, Dr. Paul inspired a unique grassroots movement, a movement which continues to evolve today.

For Liberty follows this historic campaign highlighting the grassroots activists who not only devoted their time and money, but lent their talent and creativity to promoting the cause of liberty.

angelatc
08-11-2010, 01:16 AM
Angie I like where you're going with that. Not sure that's exactly it, but definitely headed in the right direction. Would love more input. I emailed Tom Woods about helping. Not sure if he will or not, but I'm sure he could knock out something pretty bad ass.

Yeah, I couldn't get it to flow exactly how I wanted it to. I also thought about Tom Woods - he's got the gift, that's for sure. I'll sleep on it, and hope he emails you back.

AdamT
08-11-2010, 02:31 AM
Yeah, I couldn't get it to flow exactly how I wanted it to. I also thought about Tom Woods - he's got the gift, that's for sure. I'll sleep on it, and hope he emails you back.

Tom is in the middle of a move to KS so it's just us. Thanks Angie. Hit it again after sleep.

curtissthompson
08-11-2010, 02:49 AM
I did a word count on a bunch of films in the Netflix Library and it looks like the word count can go at least as high as 80 words (http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Harold_and_Kumar_Go_to_White_Castle/70000091?strackid=30b134b22877429a_0_srl&strkid=823275794_0_0&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&trkid=222336). It might not actually be a word limit, but instead a line or character limit as I never saw a synopsis go longer than 7 lines on Netflix's site.

AdamT
08-11-2010, 11:08 AM
I think you're right about the line number. I'm seeing mostly 6 lines max on titles, haven't seen 7 lines yet. Could be browser font size settings, don't know.

curtissthompson
08-11-2010, 03:09 PM
I think you're right about the line number. I'm seeing mostly 6 lines max on titles, haven't seen 7 lines yet. Could be browser font size settings, don't know.

Yeah, it looks like they slightly shorten the synopsis, if needed, for the movie info you get when hovering over a movie's cover art, when compared with the actual movie page.

By the way, have you considered trying to get For Liberty on Hulu's Documentaries section (http://www.hulu.com/documentaries) or getting your YouTube upload of For Liberty listed on YouTube's movie section (http://www.youtube.com/movies) under documentaries (it might give it greater exposure on YouTube)?

AdamT
08-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Yeah, it looks like they slightly shorten the synopsis, if needed, for the movie info you get when hovering over a movie's cover art, when compared with the actual movie page.

By the way, have you considered trying to get For Liberty on Hulu's Documentaries section (http://www.hulu.com/documentaries) or getting your YouTube upload of For Liberty listed on YouTube's movie section (http://www.youtube.com/movies) under documentaries (it might give it greater exposure on YouTube)?

I contacted Hulu a number of months ago and never heard anything back. I'll look into getting YT to add it to the doc category. Hadn't thought of that, thanks.

Suzu
08-11-2010, 04:47 PM
I've seen the word "populace" twice above in this thread, where the meaning desired would be filled by the word "populist".

ronpaulhawaii
08-12-2010, 10:59 AM
All the drafts are good... I like where Angela is going and would like to see that developed. Also am wondering about the "keyword" issue...

Ethek
08-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Can we get Rand Paul added to the 'cast'?

AdamT
08-12-2010, 12:26 PM
can we "queue" it yet?

Hoping to finish up the synopsis this weekend, then will submit the info to Netflix. After that it should be available to queue soon. Right now they're waiting on me.

Want to give this thread a little more time to marinate. Requesting more input.

Can we get Rand Paul added to the 'cast'?

Yep, will do. Good idea.

ronpaulhawaii
08-12-2010, 01:10 PM
"marinate" - lol

angelatc
08-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Where's Melissa WV? Maybe she can tweak. Because she's awesome like that.

Cowlesy
08-12-2010, 06:45 PM
//

curtissthompson
08-13-2010, 07:58 AM
I threw together another rough draft that's a bit different. Although at 80 words it may border on the size limit. It's rather difficult to encapsulate the film's message within such constraints. Input is welcome.

Amid the usual slate of Washington insiders in the 2008 presidential election, an unlikely candidate emerged that challenged the status quo. Disowned by his party and marginalized by the media, Ron Paul shook the political establishment with a uniquely American message that spawned a grassroots campaign and inspired a movement unlike anything in American history. For Liberty teaches us that election results aren't the only measure of success and provides an example of civic responsibility we can all learn from.

nayjevin
08-14-2010, 01:16 AM
I threw together another rough draft that's a bit different. Although at 80 words it may border on the size limit. It's rather difficult to encapsulate the film's message within such constraints. Input is welcome.

I liked it, maybe the best yet. Makes the movie sound interesting IMO:

Amid the usual slate of Washington insiders in the 2008 presidential election, an unlikely candidate emerged that challenged the status quo. Disowned by his party and marginalized by the media, Ron Paul shook the political establishment with a uniquely American message that spawned a grassroots campaign and inspired a movement unlike anything in American history. For Liberty teaches us that election results aren't the only measure of success and provides an example of civic responsibility we can all learn from.

curtissthompson
08-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Here's a rough draft rewrite of my previous synopsis. It's at 83 words, but has room to be cut down to fit size limit. Doesn't flow quite as I'd like. Feel free to give a detailed critique of likes and dislikes, what you'd like added or removed. You're also welcome to edit and rework it as you please.

Amid the usual slate of Washington insiders in the 2008 presidential election, an unlikely candidate emerged that challenged the status quo. Disowned by his party and marginalized by the media, Ron Paul shook the political establishment with his uniquely American message. This documentary chronicles his historic grassroots campaign, which defied conventions, set records, broke new ground and inspired a political movement beyond the campaign. For Liberty stands as a testament to the talent, creativity and devotion emblematic of the grassroots campaign it recounts.

curtissthompson
08-15-2010, 09:57 AM
I contacted Hulu a number of months ago and never heard anything back. I'll look into getting YT to add it to the doc category. Hadn't thought of that, thanks.

No problem, I was looking up Hulu's content acquisition process and found this (http://www.hulu.com/support/content_faq):

To request additional programming, you may contact our content acquisition team at content@hulu.com.

Maybe we could do a For Liberty Hulu Bomb, likes was done with the Netflix (http://www.forlibertymovie.com/blog/archives/692) Bomb (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=251839&highlight=liberty+netflix+bomb).

Tinnuhana
08-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Rushed through the "entries" but thought I'd throw something in here: try using the present tense imperative and see how it sounds.
Too tired to give examples, but sort of like movie ads: Enter into a world of mind-numbing (whatever), where the only sane people are in shark suits...
Just kidding; really, really tired right now.

AdamT
08-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Maybe we could do a For Liberty Hulu Bomb, likes was done with the Netflix (http://www.forlibertymovie.com/blog/archives/692) Bomb (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=251839&highlight=liberty+netflix+bomb).

We can barrage Hulu once Netflix is in the bag lol.

nayjevin
08-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Here's a rough draft rewrite of my previous synopsis....You're also welcome to edit and rework it as you please.

a few ideas:

==============
Amid the usual slate of Washington D.C. insiders in the 2008 U.S. Presidential election, an unlikely candidate emerged to challenge the status quo.

Disowned by his party and marginalized by the media, Ron Paul nevertheless shook the political establishment with the passionate support of a truly grassroots campaign run by ordinary American citizens, inexperienced in the political arena.

This documentary chronicles his historic campaign, which defied conventions, set records, broke new ground and inspired a political movement that continues to strengthen.

For Liberty stands as a testament to the talent, creativity and devotion emblematic of the grassroots campaign it recounts.
===================

AdamT
08-17-2010, 06:50 PM
A hollywood screenwriter friend penned this after viewing this thread. Thoughts?

For Liberty begins as battle-scarred supporters of Ron Paul, a little-known Congressman from Texas, march to a rally that would rival the 2008 GOP convention, even though their candidate has already "lost." Known today as the Tea Party movement, this documentary shows why the harder the Establishment tried to stop it, the bigger the phenomenon of the freedom movement became, until it was world-wide and impossible to ignore.

nayjevin
08-18-2010, 01:16 AM
A hollywood screenwriter friend penned this after viewing this thread. Thoughts?

Good. It is curiously written so that it doesn't read to either 'kind' of partisan. Even mentions the tea party without sounding like the grassroots is on a real clear side of the aisle (which is of course true). Also alludes to the wider lesson nicely near the end.

The word 'why' in the last sentence pops out at me, but the content is right so I like the sentence anyway.

nayjevin
08-19-2010, 02:55 AM
I tried a simple one:

Follows the journey of everyday Americans turned grassroots activists as they stand up to the established political machinery in the 2008 United States Presidential election.

Elwar
08-19-2010, 08:55 AM

I like that one.

I think linking Ron Paul to the beginnings of the Tea Party movement would be useful.

AdamT
08-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks for all the input guys and gals. Here's the final version we settled on that I just sent in to Netflix. After a lot of discussion and input we ultimately decided the word "tea party" was too polarizing to the casual, uninitiated political viewer and left it out of the synopsis. If they watch the film they'll find about our TP ties/founding then.

When they get it added as a 'Saved' title, we're planning on having a "Queue Bomb" and flood them with demand. They actually encouraged us to be proactive in our marketing.

Principle cast: Ron Paul, Thomas Woods, Doug Wead, Ernest Hancock, Rand Paul

Directors: Chris Rye & Corey Kealiher

Synopsis:
Amid the usual slate of Washington insiders comprising the 2008 presidential election, an unlikely candidate emerges to challenge the status quo. Disowned by his party and marginalized by the media, Ron Paul shook the political establishment with a uniquely Constitutional message. "For Liberty" stands as a testament to the creativity and passion emblematic of a campaign that defied conventions, set records, broke new ground, and inspired a political movement that continues today.

Genre: Documentary, Indie Documentaries, Political Documentaries, Tea Party, Grassroots, Activism, Philosophy, History, Liberty

Cowlesy
08-20-2010, 09:15 AM
I am a netflix subscriber and will certainly queue it up. Let us know when you're ready to go.

Cowlesy
08-20-2010, 09:17 AM
Oh and I don't know if you have any contact with Penn Jillette (of Penn & Teller fame), but he has a vlog (I think that is what it is called) called Penn Point, and his sponsor is typically Netflix, so maybe some sort of collaboration with them would be possible -- maybe he'd do a Penn Point video review? I know the Liberty on Tour guys trade emails with him or know him on some level.

Just thinking out loud here on how to leverage this up.

http://revision3.com/pennpoint/greenfieldpolice -- here is where he talks about the Liberty on Tour gents.

UtahApocalypse
08-20-2010, 10:51 AM

Ironically that is so "Ron Paul" its hard to fit such an important and powerful message into a 'sound byte'

:)

Bump for more thoughts.....

rajibo
08-28-2010, 06:46 PM
:D
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/146/l_57ff4bb4ab0d418fad68aa41fde75364.png

Nate-ForLiberty
08-28-2010, 07:18 PM
you can't get it yet, but you can rate it!

torchbearer
08-28-2010, 07:33 PM
you can't get it yet, but you can rate it!

you need to save it! not just rate it.
everyone with a netflix account needs to save it to show demand.

torchbearer
08-28-2010, 07:34 PM
Oh, we can write reviews for the movie!

rajibo
08-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Sorry, updated image...

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/118/l_f9cca5b6ef8e48af9f7cfb72bb3e8f3e.png

rajibo
08-28-2010, 08:31 PM
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/For-Liberty-How-the-Ron-Paul-Revolution-Watered-the-Withered-Tree-of-Liberty/70148642?strackid=625447d820fe64a6_0_srl&strkid=1194477362_0_0&trkid=438381

I like what the synopsis ended up as.

AdamT
08-28-2010, 09:59 PM
OMG I didn't know it was up there!

In the process of launching a Queue Bomb now.

AdamT
08-28-2010, 10:12 PM
I like what the synopsis ended up as.

Political maverick and 2008 presidential candidate Ron Paul was a little-known member of the House of Representatives before his startling policy principles caught fire with the American public and shook up the political establishment. This film chronicles the politico's journey, capturing the electric excitement of Paul's national campaign while chronicling its lasting impact on the U.S. electoral landscape.

Wow, after all the effort and input writing the synopsis, this is Netflix's version. This is not the one we submitted. They wrote it.

rajibo
08-28-2010, 11:21 PM
Wow, after all the effort and input writing the synopsis, this is Netflix's version. This is not the one we submitted. They wrote it.

Doh! I like it anyway...

AdamT
08-28-2010, 11:29 PM
It's not too bad actually. I never even thought of mentioning the House of Representatives in there.

Why is the cast list so short?

That's what we sent in, mostly the bigger well known names. I'd be happy to add more if they allow it.

Matt Collins
08-29-2010, 02:02 AM
Here is a URL:
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/For-Liberty-How-the-Ron-Paul-Revolution-Watered-the-Withered-Tree-of-Liberty/70148642?strackid=625447d820fe64a6_0_srl&strkid=1194477362_0_0&trkid=438381

angelatc
08-29-2010, 02:33 AM
OMG I didn't know it was up there!

In the process of launching a Queue Bomb now.

That's where I found out about it!

DirtMcGirt
08-29-2010, 09:23 AM
//

Cowlesy
08-29-2010, 09:28 AM
queued up

AdamT
08-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Hoping everybody spreads this through their channels.

http://www.forlibertymovie.com/blog/archives/696

We want to totally overwhelm them with Queue demand so they complete the acquisition process in full, and make it available to their millions of subscribers. I have "added" titles on my Queue that have been sitting there for over a year and still no DVD in the mail.