PDA

View Full Version : Absolute proof Dr. Paul is NOT a racist!

jmdrake
10-16-2007, 09:32 AM
From the debate hosted by Tavis Smiley:
http://www.pbs.org/kcet/tavissmiley/special/forums/transcript.html

Paul: A system designed to protect individual liberty will have no punishments for any group and no privileges. Today, I think inner-city folks and minorities are punished unfairly in the war on drugs.

For instance, Blacks make up 14 percent of those who use drugs, yet 36 percent of those arrested are Blacks and it ends up that 63 percent of those who finally end up in prison are Blacks. This has to change.

We don't have to have more courts and more prisons. We need to repeal the whole war on drugs. It isn't working.

We have already spent over $400 billion since the early 1970s, and it is wasted money. Prohibition didn't work. Prohibition on drugs doesn't work. So we need to come to our senses.

And, absolutely, it's a disease. We don't treat alcoholics like this. This is a disease, and we should orient ourselves to this. That is one way you could have equal justice under the law.

And further:

Paul: A system designed to protect individual liberty will have no punishments for any group and no privileges. Today, I think inner-city folks and minorities are punished unfairly in the war on drugs.

For instance, Blacks make up 14 percent of those who use drugs, yet 36 percent of those arrested are Blacks and it ends up that 63 percent of those who finally end up in prison are Blacks. This has to change.

We don't have to have more courts and more prisons. We need to repeal the whole war on drugs. It isn't working.

We have already spent over $400 billion since the early 1970s, and it is wasted money. Prohibition didn't work. Prohibition on drugs doesn't work. So we need to come to our senses.

And, absolutely, it's a disease. We don't treat alcoholics like this. This is a disease, and we should orient ourselves to this. That is one way you could have equal justice under the law.

And finally:

Paul: You know, over the years, I've held pretty rigid all my beliefs, but I've changed my opinion about the death penalty. For federal purposes, I no longer believe in the death penalty. I believe it has been issued unjustly. If you're rich, you get away with it; if you're poor and you're from the inner city, you're more likely to be prosecuted and convicted.

Today, with the DNA evidence, there have been too many mistakes. So I am now opposed to the federal death penalty.

Now unless there is significant support at Stormfront or other racist groups for the idea that blacks are unfairly treated by the criminal justice system in general and the war on drugs in particular, their alleged support for Ron Paul is really a non-issue.

Regards,

John M. Drake

Shellshock1918
10-16-2007, 09:36 AM
He's not a racist. Can we end this pointless discussion now?

Hope
10-16-2007, 09:37 AM
He's not a racist. Can we end this pointless discussion now?

DaronWestbrooke
10-16-2007, 09:38 AM
Unless Dr. Paul starts hanging around with David Duke (sarc) or something like that.. I think we should just ignore the racist attacks. Why give them the attention?

richard1984
10-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Can we also add as evidence to the thread that Dr. Paul delivered babies of various backgrounds, ethnicities, colors, etc.?
Now, I don't know the details, but I do know that Dr. Paul delivered, for example, the singer Selena, who was a Mexican American.

That seems like pretty good evidence against the "kooky" claims that Ron Paul is a racist.

davidhperry
10-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Absolute proof Dr. Paul is NOT a racist!

No one said he was a racist. Just that he has a tiny number of supporters who are - just like any other candidate running for office.

davidhperry
10-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Unless Dr. Paul starts hanging around with David Duke (sarc) or something like that.. I think we should just ignore the racist attacks. Why give them the attention?

That's what I've been saying and I'm hoping it will catch on, quick! When you refute an attack, even an untrue attack, it gives the the attack credibility. The effective way to deal with these things is to ignore them.

RevolutionSD
10-16-2007, 09:49 AM
I agree. Ignore this complete and total nonsense of him being racist.

rp4prez
10-16-2007, 10:18 AM
No one said he was a racist. Just that he has a tiny number of supporters who are - just like any other candidate running for office.
Yep... one guy I know who is a journalist is quoting an article from the Houston Chronicle where RP says most blacks in DC are criminals and he's wanting me to say that the quote is racists. This guy is a moron so I keep posting things like the first post in this thread to piss him off because RP is not a racists. ;)

jmdrake
10-16-2007, 10:48 AM
I really WISH we didn't need to respond to ridiculous attacks. But in the day of extreme sound bite - negative ad politics you HAVE to respond to attacks that start getting traction. The political battlefield is littered with campaigns that didn't respond in a timely matter to negative attacks. The fact that there have been a recent rash of threads discussing this means it's a potential problem whether we want to acknowledge it or not. Right now this is only an issue at the "netroots" level, and I doubt anyone would make the race issue into a TV or radio ad because of the potential backlash. This really is just ammo for those responding to blogs or forums that want something better than a "Yeah a lot of people at Stormfront support Ron Paul but so what?" answer.