PDA

View Full Version : Governor's Race...Now What???

brenden.b
08-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Okay, so, the two largest political parties now have picked the worst candidates possible, Rick Snyder from the GOP and Virg Bernero of the Democratic Party, what now?

Perhaps some on this forum don't mind either of those two candidates, but let's be honest, neither of them are liberty-minded in the least bit.

So, I will be voting 3rd Party this time around. So far, I have found two options, I haven't really been impressed. Go figure, after all, they are 3rd Party candidates... It would be nice if a 3rd Party could actually find an effective candidate and actually orchestrate some form of a campaign, instead of just being a place holder on the ballot...

From the U.S. Taxpayer's Party, we have Stacey Mathia. Her stances on the issues are great, including support for bringing home the National Guard. Problem is, her campaign website needs SERIOUS work and I am not sure if she is actually running a serious campaign or just thought it would be fun to try it out.

Her website: http://www.staceymathia2010.com/

From the Libertarian Party, we have Ken Proctor. His stances seem decent, but is quite vague and in actuality hasn't taken many positions. His webiste is a little better than Mathia's, but it needs work as well.

His website: http://www.lpwm.org/KenProctor/index.php

Needless to say, these two candidates will probably only amount to less than 5% of the vote come election day, especially if they don't take their campaigns seriously.

Anyway we can work on these two candidates and bring them into relevance for the November election?

Dark Aerow
08-13-2010, 10:06 PM
I share your disappointment with the governors race. Unfortunately, even with the discontent about the republican nominee a 3rd party still doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell.

If only Cox and Hoekstra didn't split the vote...Either of them would have been preferable to, "make government more better" Snyder. I'm more than willing to vote for a candidate that I agree with 75% of the time...Snyder doesn't appear to fall into that category.

I don't want one tax removed only to be replaced with a "better" or "more fair" tax.

We will probably end up with Snyder I don't think a dem has a chance this time around. Who knows, maybe he'll be better than I think, he has a background in business rather than politics...for whatever thats worth.

In any case, I'll be "protest" voting for a 3rd party candidate. If I thought a 3rd party had even the smallest chance I'd donate/campaign/etc.

VIDEODROME
08-29-2010, 12:36 AM
I dunno in a very general way I like Snyder's background as a business entrepreneur out of Ann Arbor. And yet I kind of relate to you guys because that is how I felt back when Dick DeVos was running.

My general understanding was DeVos and Van Andels where very big powerful groups out of Grand Rapids running the Amway company. In fact I got this weird feeling they would make Michigan into a big version of Amway. DeVos seemed almost to powerful and coming from old money with a rich family running a bullshiat company like Amway. It just rubbed me the wrong way.

I still want to learn more about Snyder. So far it seems likely I'll vote for him over Virg. I managed to meet him at a speech.

Again though ties to the dubious company Amway turned me off of DeVos. I haven't found anything weird like that tied to Snyder yet.

brenden.b
08-30-2010, 03:18 PM
The most interesting connection Snyder has is to the Yobs, who have basically ran his campaign and, from what I hear, basically run the Michigan Republican Party.

Honestly, even with that knowledge, Snyder has, at least talked a decent game and he is a political outsider. Recently he went after tax incentives, while Bernero defended tax incentives, which is basically the entire economic policy of Granholm. So that is a start in the right direction for me.

I may vote for him in the end, just to give him a chance, as it is clear that once again no 3rd party candidate is actually serious about running a campaign.

2young2vote
10-05-2010, 10:38 AM
I ended up voting for Ken Proctor. I believe it was Stacey Mathia who i saw in Mackinaw City. She seems like a really nice lady but she would be EATEN ALIVE by the special interests. I just don't think she is forceful enough.

I also voted for Bob Roddis for Michigan Supreme court. Unfortunately a lot of the people running didn't have a good website so i had to do the best i could and Bob Roddis had "End the Fed" in his website title and he talked about how the bailouts are unconstitutional and how he wants the government to be within the constitution. He seems better than the others.

I voted with an absentee ballot because i am up at school and won't be home during the election.

Edit: and this is also the first time i have ever voted. I think I picked the right ones.