PDA

View Full Version : Putting a $ value on RP`s GRASSROOTS support

Dave Wood
10-16-2007, 09:28 AM
http://libertyman.wordpress.com/2007/10/16/putting-a-dollar-value-to-the-ron-paul-grass-roots-support/

They cant afford US, meaning the other candidates.:p

kylejack
10-16-2007, 09:31 AM
The 55,000 Meetup members are not averaging 4 hours a week. Most never go to meetings anymore.

cswake
10-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Just because we do not go to meetings does not mean we do not contribute. ;)

BLS
10-16-2007, 09:46 AM
I do NOT UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE ARE NOT GOING TO MEETUP MEETINGS!?

WE NEED TO GET INVOLVED. WATCHING HIM ON TV, AND DONATING ARE ALL GREAT THINGS, BUT WE NEED REAL PEOPLE KNOCKING ON REAL DOORS.

Pauliana
10-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Careful. They'll impose campaign laws about how much time and effort you're allowed to put into a campaign.

RevolutionSD
10-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Our meeting numbers have been steadily increasing here in San Diego.
But more importantly, members have been far more active in recent weeks than ever before.

Remember with any group you are always dealing with the 80/20 principle. 20% of your group will do nearly everything. It has nothing to do with the Ron Paul campaign, it's like this with everything.

Noodles
10-16-2007, 09:52 AM
We're not getting paid for this? WTF? :eek:

reaver
10-16-2007, 09:54 AM
http://libertyman.wordpress.com/2007/10/16/putting-a-dollar-value-to-the-ron-paul-grass-roots-support/

They cant afford US, meaning the other candidates.:p

brilliant editor.

Allan Bartlett
10-16-2007, 10:01 AM
It's been my observation from our Irvine Meetup that the "Pareto Principle" is alive and well. 20% of the people are doing 80% of the work.

Original_Intent
10-16-2007, 10:23 AM

WE NEED TO GET INVOLVED. WATCHING HIM ON TV, AND DONATING ARE ALL GREAT THINGS, BUT WE NEED REAL PEOPLE KNOCKING ON REAL DOORS.

I went to the first Meetup meeting in our area back in May.

I haven't attended one since as the leadership left a bad taste in my mouth.

But I have been passing out slim jims, donating, talking to friends, relatives and co-workers. I am certain I have brought at least 6 people into the Ron Paul camp.

I have gone to several sign making/sign hanging parties.

So I think that people that are attending the meetup meetings have got to quit thinking they are doing ALL the work. Certainly they do a lot and are awesome, but especially in this movement a lot of people just want to work on their own (at least I know I am that way) and while I would not say I am a leader of the pack by any means, I think I am making a significant contribution.

This 20% of the people are doing 80% of the work - well that may or may not be the case, but not attending meetups does not equal "doing nothing".

tekkierich
10-16-2007, 10:41 AM

Please do not be this harsh. I never disparage anyone who will vote for Dr. Paul. Anyone who wants to more, this is great, a bonus!

theodorelogan
10-16-2007, 10:43 AM
I stopped going to meetups because they seemed like a cheerleading session (which, don't get me wrong, is important, but I don't need the motivation boost.)

I have been spending my time instead passing out Ron Paul cards and putting them on driver's side windows in mall paring lots. I'm getting 10,000 more this Friday!

jj111
10-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Let's just say that of the people who never show up to the meetings, the total effort of their contributions to the campaign is not really known.

hopeforamerica
10-16-2007, 10:46 AM
I stopped going to meetups because they seemed like a cheerleading session (which, don't get me wrong, is important, but I don't need the motivation boost.)

I have been spending my time instead passing out Ron Paul cards and putting them on driver's side windows in mall paring lots. I'm getting 10,000 more this Friday!

Well, the meetings aren't as important as the actual events that are put on. Going to gun shows, fairs, and canvasing neighborhoods in small groups is very effective! What you are doing is fantastic, but actually talking to people generates a healthy discussion where people can learn about Ron Paul.

keep up the good work!

jj111
10-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Whether you go to meetings or not, there is always lots you can do.
Sign wave,
Put signs on your windows and car.
Talk with people
Email people
Hand out flyers or cards
Give money to the campaign.
Spread the word.

specsaregood
10-16-2007, 10:49 AM
//

Primbs
10-16-2007, 11:44 AM
The grassroots are Priceless.

Because the campaign would have to spend lots of money managing these people. The bureaucratic overhead of a campaign to coordinate all the activities would be too much money.

It gives Ron Paul a huge advantage.

A typical campaign might hire one grassroots coordinator to manage fifty to one hundred fifty volunteers. The man hours involved to oversee all the projects would take all the coordinators time.

It is worth tens of millions of dollars.

robatsu
10-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Me, I haven't been to a meetup "meeting". As far as I'm concerned, that's why we have the internet, so I don't have to cart my butt up to Rockville. I've participated in the planning and execution of various meetup inspired activities, as far as I'm concerned the system is working fine w/a minimum of meetings.

I agree w/the 80/20 rule and would go on to add that volunteer efforts should be spent wisely. For example, say volunteer x can devote 8 hours a month. Is it really necessary that 4 of those hours be expended on a meetup meeting doing stuff that can be done in much less time, w/a more flexible schedule, at home/work in front of the box. Of course not.

Meetup meetings are not the point of the campaign. Getting RP elected is. If you really need meetup meetings to make this happen, fine, but we shouldn't be taking these as any measure of success.

libertyman
10-16-2007, 03:58 PM
I estimated the 4 hours per week because I know that some people like myself put in a lot of hours and some people put in very few. I thought that figure was fair enough that it would be thought of as a correct assumption.

The value of our support is high even with what we do online as you can see that our actions gets Ron Paul on TV with the reporters talking about the huge support for the candidate as with this piece on CNBC

RAW STORY (http://rawstory.com/news/2007/John_Harwood_After_poll_removal_CNBC_1016.html) I thought putting a number value on our efforts would help put it in perspective for people.

Revolution9
10-16-2007, 05:20 PM
The 55,000 Meetup members are not averaging 4 hours a week. Most never go to meetings anymore.

I have been to two meetups. I have produced several posters and put on an RP freedom festival concert all day over the weekend that had 1500 people throughout the day and about 700 at the info tables. I did not g to the meetup last night as i had contracty obligations to complete or be in breach. Yeah..some of us have a life and still do the RP thing without going to meetups. I don't need no instructions.

Best
Randy

Revolution9
10-16-2007, 05:22 PM

Why do you have to go to a meetup to do this?. The logic escapes me.

best
Randy

Roxi
10-16-2007, 05:27 PM
in our group theres around 10 of us (out of 135) that are very very active. we set up all the events (usually around 2 a week) we have a lot of events and have become close friends i personally put in 20-50 hours a week in on my ron paul efforts as does a few others in my group... IF you belong to a good group with strong support the meetups can really be effective, we don't have cheerleading sessions we get stuff done, we have real meetings.. i have personally seen a group led badly, no one shows up for stuff, although a lot of people do stuff on their own, the organizer is a douche so i hear you on that part...

BUT if you are in a shitty meetup group, if you don't like the leader, BECOME the leader.. i realize not everyone has as much time as i do, but some meetups just need a strong and passionate leader to become great groups

some are good some are bad but it doesnt really matter as long as you are doing your part with or without the group

McDermit
10-16-2007, 06:09 PM
It's usually just me, my ex, and the ex's mom at our meetings. My ex organizes 2 local meetups... but no one shows up for any of them. We get tons of yes rsvps, then no one shows but us.

We had 3 non-meetup members come by and stay the entire day helping out at the festival booth this weekend. While a few meetup members did come by and pick up yard signs, slim jims, and bumper stickers, none of them stayed to help. And those who RSVP'd YES didn't even bother to stop by at all. The people who did stop by were those who hadn't RSVP'd. I can understand being busy sometime, even a lot of the time, but come on! The organizer has offered to work within anyone's schedules for meetings and everything. She actually scheduled one meeting specifically at a time when one dude said he could definitely make it. I took off work to be there, and she and her mom were there. Then no one else showed, not even the dude she was working with to schedule the meeting.

It gets to the point that it seems almost dumb to continue with the meetups. It would be easier for us to just coordinate amongst ourselves and not have to wait in a location for half an hour just to have no one show up.

/end rant.

libertyman
10-16-2007, 10:32 PM
This is something that is learned very quickly in a combat environment. I would not presume to tell anyone how to run their meet-up group but I would say that an effective leader is going to find ways to engage people in enough dialog to arrive at a solution instead of an impasse.

I have witnessed this as well where uncompromising group leaders insist on a location time and day for a meeting that is impossible for the bulk of the members but the leader just will not accept a change in venue. It makes it impossible to have a full representation of the members present when they are not consulted on schedules adequately.

The old saying applies that organizing Libertarian types is like herding cats.

This principle can not be ignored by anyone hoping to organize a Ron Paul meet-up group with any success.

IMHO

michaelwise
10-16-2007, 10:54 PM
I've been saying this to every one who says to me the he doesn't have enough money. What he doesn't have in money, he makes up for in volunteer support, with 55,000 Meetup group members, and Internet supporters.