PDA

View Full Version : Too Bad I can't vote for him

robatsu
10-16-2007, 08:57 AM
Copied from my blog here (http://robatsu.blogspot.com/2007/10/too-bad-i-cant-vote-for-him.html).

I've been studying jazz guitar with kev, a local star. As I was leaving his home recently, I ran into his mother.

Mom: Oh, I saw the Ron Paul sticker on your truck. I really like him.

Me: Well, he's the deal. I've been getting active supporting his campaign.

Mom: That's wonderful. I really like his positions.

kev: Yeah, I like Ron Paul too.

Me: Cool, I didn't know that.

kev: Too bad I can't vote for him.

Me:

Mom: Me too.

Me:

kev: We're Democrats.

Me (trying not to explode): Well, there is a simple fix for that, register Republican. It's fun and easy. You just have to be a Republican for a day, switch back after the primary.

kev: Well, I don't think I could bring myself to do that.

I went on to push it about as hard as I could, but was unsuccessful. Hopefully, kev and his mother will come around after a little more thought. Whatever happens with them, the lessons are clear.

The great news is that Ron Paul's message is reaching even cosmopolitan hipsters in the liberal/pc stronghold of inside the Beltway Silver Spring and even they are turned on by the message of peace, prosperity and freedom. So all of our efforts are working, keep them up.

The terrible news is the voter registration, affiliation news. Between apathy and antipathy, one of the largest hurdles before us is voter registration. I don't know the answer other than continuing the campaign and putting a lot of focus on registration, but this is a major vulnerability of the campaign.

Don't let the epitaph of the Paul campaign be, "Too Bad They Couldn't Vote For Him".

Sematary
10-16-2007, 09:07 AM
Copied from my blog here (http://robatsu.blogspot.com/2007/10/too-bad-i-cant-vote-for-him.html).

I've been studying jazz guitar with kev, a local star. As I was leaving his home recently, I ran into his mother.

Mom: Oh, I saw the Ron Paul sticker on your truck. I really like him.

Me: Well, he's the deal. I've been getting active supporting his campaign.

Mom: That's wonderful. I really like his positions.

kev: Yeah, I like Ron Paul too.

Me: Cool, I didn't know that.

kev: Too bad I can't vote for him.

Me:

Mom: Me too.

Me:

kev: We're Democrats.

Me (trying not to explode): Well, there is a simple fix for that, register Republican. It's fun and easy. You just have to be a Republican for a day, switch back after the primary.

kev: Well, I don't think I bring myself to do that.

I went on to push it about as hard as I could, but was unsuccessful. Hopefully, kev and his mother will come around after a little more thought. Whatever happens with them, the lessons are clear.

The great news is that Ron Paul's message is reaching even cosmopolitan hipsters in the liberal/pc stronghold of inside the Beltway Silver Spring and even they are turned on by the message of peace, prosperity and freedom. So all of our efforts are working, keep them up.

The terrible news is the voter registration, affiliation news. Between apathy and antipathy, one of the largest hurdles before us is voter registration. I don't know the answer other than continuing the campaign and putting a lot of focus on registration, but this is a major vulnerability of the campaign.

Don't let the epitaph of the Paul campaign be, "Too Bad They Couldn't Vote For Him".

Wouldn't the epitaph be - "Too bad they WOULDN'T vote for him" ?
I am having a similar problem with my step daughter. I'll wear her down. ;)

theseus51
10-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Something that worked for me was "he's the best Republican" and that wouldn't you rather your Democrat face Ron Paul, rather than potentially have someone even more fascist than Bush in 2008?