PDA

View Full Version : Power of the Progressive Mind

aravoth
08-09-2010, 10:07 AM
http://objectsinmotion.org/power-of-the-progressive-mind/

Once I heard a progressive say that "the free market caused the economic collapse." A few minutes later he told me that a "free market doesn't exist, and can't exist anywhere on the planet". To which I replied, "If a free market doesn't exist, then how can you blame the economic ills of the world on it"? I never got a response, and I don't believe I ever will.

Elwar
08-09-2010, 10:11 AM
I was thinking about the progressive idea that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer...

When you think of that statement in relation to Hayek's economics of slowing down the economy as it starts taking off, to prevent big swings in the market...why not just let a rich economy get richer? If a rich person will continue to get rich if left alone, it would make sense that a rich economy will continue to get rich if left alone.

ChaosControl
08-09-2010, 10:16 AM
"Progressives" are just regressive neanderthals who want to pretend they somehow are enlightened so they adopted a term to describe themselves that is the exact opposite of what they really are.

The more you talk to them, the more you realize this. They support outdated concepts such as centralism and oppressive government taking all the citizenry's money, basically the like old monarchs of the middle ages. I don't know how much more regressive one can get.

Stary Hickory
08-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Regressives have simply put a new spit shine on the oppressive use of organized force. They tend to rationalize the most abhorrent concepts.

If theft is wrong and has negative social effects when we deal with each other in person than how does this somehow lose it's negative social effect when institutionalized and done through government? The same negative social effects are there, they are simply rationalized and institutionalized by the progressive/regressive mind.

They often talk about helping the poor yet it is they more than anyone else who are hurting the poor, creating the wealth gap, and making more poor. It all boils down to the simple human action, why do men act? So that they can better there position in life by their own subjective standards.

Free markets eliminate aggressive force as an option, leaving only cooperative exchange. This is the secret to prosperity, a free market by eliminating force (organized or otherwise) ensures that human actions are mutually beneficial. When you replace voluntarily association with blunt force you destroy the very reason people act in an economically rational manner.

They cease to produce and will only produce to the extent that they can recieve benefit from it. On the flip side those that are using government force to rob others also cease to act or produce as they no longer need to trade anything of value since on their side of the equation force has been substituted for cooperative and respectful exchange.

This is why progressivism is so regressive. It destroys the very reason people engage in activities that build wealth. It makes societies poorer and lowers the standard of living. A man who makes millions legitimately by engaging in free trade, without the use of government coercion or force, is only a benefit to society. If he were to be eliminated society would lose out. You cannot arbitrarily condemn the wealthy or praise the poor, only those who engage in honest trade without government force or other force should be held as role models, rich or poor.

aravoth
08-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Regressives have simply put a new spit shine on the oppressive use of organized force. They tend to rationalize the most abhorrent concepts.

If theft is wrong and has negative social effects when we deal with each other in person than how does this somehow lose it's negative social effect when institutionalized and done through government? The same negative social effects are there, they are simply rationalized and institutionalized by the progressive/regressive mind.

They often talk about helping the poor yet it is they more than anyone else who are hurting the poor, creating the wealth gap, and making more poor. It all boils down to the simple human action, why do men act? So that they can better there position in life by their own subjective standards.

Free markets eliminate aggressive force as an option, leaving only cooperative exchange. This is the secret to prosperity, a free market by eliminating force (organized or otherwise) ensures that human actions are mutually beneficial. When you replace voluntarily association with blunt force you destroy the very reason people act in an economically rational manner.

They cease to produce and will only produce to the extent that they can recieve benefit from it. On the flip side those that are using government force to rob others also cease to act or produce as they no longer need to trade anything of value since on their side of the equation force has been substituted for cooperative and respectful exchange.

This is why progressivism is so regressive. It destroys the very reason people engage in activities that build wealth. It makes societies poorer and lowers the standard of living. A man who makes millions legitimately by engaging in free trade, without the use of government coercion or force, is only a benefit to society. If he were to be eliminated society would lose out. You cannot arbitrarily condemn the wealthy or praise the poor, only those who engage in honest trade without government force or other force should be held as role models, rich or poor.

That's why I used to get so frustrated when arguing with a progressive. The entire philosophy is a contradiction. It leads to the exact opposite of what it espouses.

Stary Hickory
08-09-2010, 10:54 AM
That's why I used to get so frustrated when arguing with a progressive. The entire philosophy is a contradiction. It leads to the exact opposite of what it espouses.

Well they don't like to think really. I have had an argument with one and we actually debated for awhile and after showing his contradictions at every turn he simply said he wanted to talk about something else. You have to get through the mental pride thing, where they are committed to an idea, and have invested their reputation and intellectual efforts into something that is wrong.

People will argue a completely ridiculous position just to try and preserve their pride, so when that happens you are never going to get through really because they aren't seeking the truth just a validation for why they have thought and acted in a certain way in the past.

This is why people like Rush Limbaugh and Hannity are basically loste causes. They have been wrong in the past, in a very open and personal manner that it is virtually impossible for them to change their minds and admit it honestly. The same goes for many progressives, they want to hear that they are intellectually superior when they are at best intellectually lazy.

RCA
08-09-2010, 11:27 AM
My family is made up of progressives. The one thing I've learned to do is stay far, far away from political discussions with them. The end result of debating politics with them has always been endless circular reasoning nightmares.

Seraphim
08-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Well they don't like to think really. I have had an argument with one and we actually debated for awhile and after showing his contradictions at every turn he simply said he wanted to talk about something else. You have to get through the mental pride thing, where they are committed to an idea, and have invested their reputation and intellectual efforts into something that is wrong.

People will argue a completely ridiculous position just to try and preserve their pride, so when that happens you are never going to get through really because they aren't seeking the truth just a validation for why they have thought and acted in a certain way in the past.

This is why people like Rush Limbaugh and Hannity are basically loste causes. They have been wrong in the past, in a very open and personal manner that it is virtually impossible for them to change their minds and admit it honestly. The same goes for many progressives, they want to hear that they are intellectually superior when they are at best intellectually lazy.

Bingo. Great posts. The ego halts progression because one does not want to damage their own ego. Remove the ego from the equation (as best possible) and things begin to dramatically change. Unfortunately most people don't/can't/dont' want to see their own biases and attribute their own self worth to their ideals and pre-conceived notions.

aravoth
08-09-2010, 12:18 PM
My family is made up of progressives. The one thing I've learned to do is stay far, far away from political discussions with them. The end result of debating politics with them has always been endless circular reasoning nightmares.

Story of my life right there, breaking that mold could be viewed as something of a miracle.

MRK
08-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Bingo. Great posts. The ego halts progression because one does not want to damage their own ego. Remove the ego from the equation (as best possible) and things begin to dramatically change. Unfortunately most people don't/can't/dont' want to see their own biases and attribute their own self worth to their ideals and pre-conceived notions.

There are some pharmaceuticals that are highly effective in shedding one's ego.

AlexMerced
08-09-2010, 01:33 PM
My Thoughts on Progressivism

YouTube - ‪The Inheritance Tax and Progressive Thought‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY6bjvmCIAc)

YouTube - ‪The Paradox of Progressive Logic‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1p1nCGvpEI)

YouTube - ‪Progressive Income Tax Vs. Uniform Tariffs‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVYWrU72Ff4)

YouTube - ‪Calling out All Leftist/Progressives/Democrats‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mWMDIjBED0)

BetaMale
08-09-2010, 02:41 PM
"Progressives" are just regressive neanderthals who want to pretend they somehow are enlightened so they adopted a term to describe themselves that is the exact opposite of what they really are.

The more you talk to them, the more you realize this. They support outdated concepts such as centralism and oppressive government taking all the citizenry's money, basically the like old monarchs of the middle ages. I don't know how much more regressive one can get.

Completely agree. In the book my brother and I just wrote, we made it a point to put the word "progressive" in quotes everytime. We did this, not only because we know it pisses off "progressives", but that their group mentality desire to categorize everyone as a hyphenated American and give certain groups more rights than others are both such regressive practices.

They just simply don't deserve to be calling themselves "progressives"

aravoth
08-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Completely agree. In the book my brother and I just wrote, we made it a point to put the word "progressive" in quotes everytime. We did this, not only because we know it pisses off "progressives", but that their group mentality desire to categorize everyone as a hyphenated American and give certain groups more rights than others are both such regressive practices.

They just simply don't deserve to be calling themselves "progressives"

Hey, can you hook me up with a 326px × 500px picture of the front cover of your book? I wanna post it on my literature page.