PDA

View Full Version : Is Palin becoming irrelevant? Her TN endorsement lost the election

Matt Collins
08-09-2010, 09:01 AM
Is Palin becoming irrelevant? Her TN endorsement lost the election
http://politics.nashvillepost.com/2010/08/09/polishing-a-turd/

specsaregood
08-09-2010, 09:04 AM
How about that misleading, and blatantly incorrect analysis of the blog posting.
Is that why you didnt' actually quote it?
Here it is:

“Cece was able to turn a 25-point deficit into a respectable 5-point defeat after receiving Palin’s endorsement. Like Todd Tiahrt, she outperformed where she stood in the polls prior to Governor Palin’s endorsement. CeCe came within 330 votes of winning Davidson county (where Nashville is located), the largest county in Tennessee’s 5th Congressional District despite the fact that her opponents outspent her dramatically.”

So palins endorsement added 20pts to the endorsee despite being "dramatically" outspent.
Yeah, "irrelevant" is the word that comes to mind.

MelissaWV
08-09-2010, 09:06 AM
I agree with specs' post.

I would add that an endorsement is not a guarantee of a win, and someone's endorsement is "relevant" so long as it provides a bump in support. The media is making a mountain out of a molehill, and you're helping do the shoveling. How many of Palin's endorsed candidates did or are doing well?

As much as I wish the woman would vanish, she's not yet irrelevant.

jmdrake
08-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Comment from the above link:

Can Sarah Palin's webmaster not do subtraction? CeCe lost to David Hall by 2,163 votes as opposed to "only" 330. The final vote count was:

David Hall 11,930
Jeff Hartline 10,005
CeCe Heil 9,767

There is another story that's being missed. Mike Huckabee endorsed Jeff Hartline. Huckabee and Palin will likely be courting the same supporters in 2012. Also David Hall simply out hustled everybody. His signs were all over the place were I live. And he seems to have knocked on more doors than other candidates. To quote Tip O'Neil "All politics is local".

Golding
08-09-2010, 11:33 AM
I believe endorsements in general are somewhat irrelevant.

charrob
08-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Is Palin becoming irrelevant?

i know in Maryland republicans are outright angry at her. :mad: She endorsed an unknown (Brian Murphy) TO PURPOSELY SPLIT THE REPUBLICAN VOTE. She even sent out letters to all republicans asking them to vote for Brian Murphy in November!

Ehrlich is loved by all Marylanders except P.G. and Montgomery counties (D.C. suburbs). After Glendenning (democrat) destroyed the state with debt when he was governor years ago, Ehrlich was voted in and not only got our finances under control, but also ended up with a huge surplus when he left office. I can drive for literally miles and miles throughout the state and all you see are signs for Ehrlich.

Unfortunately (only because of the D.C. suburbs) O'Malley (democrat) was voted in after Ehrlich, and now the state is a disaster. Ehrlich is a good guy...he's a lawyer fulltime and part-time his wife Kendel and him have a local radio show.

Palin's top advisor, however, is in with big money in the Maryland Democratic Party and spent $500,000.00 on O'Malley's (democratic) campaign last time to beat Ehrlich.
It's a tight race running neck and neck: if this splits the republican vote, we can all thank Palin for destroying Maryland.

When will republicans learn: Palin's folksy 'real' America behavior is a false exterior: an empty suit whose only goal is her own power and her own wealth. imho she is Obama without a brain.

http://www.examiner.com/x-39477-Baltimore-Conservative-Issues-Examiner~y2010m8d4-Palins-lump-of-Coale

Matt Collins
08-09-2010, 12:17 PM
How about that misleading, and blatantly incorrect analysis of the blog posting.
Here it is:

So palins endorsement added 20pts to the endorsee despite being "dramatically" outspent.
I don't always read the articles I post :o

specsaregood
08-09-2010, 12:19 PM

So what you are saying is that you just dump whatever you come across here? Indiscriminately? I will certainly keep that in mind when seeing new threads started by you in the future.

MelissaWV
08-09-2010, 12:25 PM

Disheartening, but not unexpected.

Matt Collins
08-09-2010, 12:47 PM
So what you are saying is that you just dump whatever you come across here? Indiscriminately? I will certainly keep that in mind when seeing new threads started by you in the future.

Disheartening, but not unexpected.

Hey, I'm a busy guy and I usually just skim the headlines unless it's something that's important to me. Besides I know which topics will generate discussion around here :)

CoreyBowen999
08-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Palin is not slowly turning irrelevant.

RCA
08-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Was she ever relevant?

jmdrake
08-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Here it is:

You do realize that the blog post was quoting from the Palin blog and making fun of the spin right? No I guess not.

Here's the deal. Palin's endorsed candidate lost big time. It wasn't by a mere 330 votes. It was by an overwhelming 2,130 votes. (The 330 total came from Davidson County alone. But Davidson county is the most liberal part of that congressional district.) And in the final analysis CeCe came in third place behind David Hall and Jeff Hartline. Note that on Palin's blog she showed percentages for the overall race which made CeCe look tied for second even by the total vote count she was in third. But in the when talking about Davidson county the Palin blog reported vote totals instead of percentages, because in that case the vote totals look better.

For a more accurate picture than the slick Palin backed spin see:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/elections/2010/by_county/TN_Page_0805.html?SITE=AP&SECTION=POLITICS

Lastly, I doubt Palin's blog is at all accurate on the spending amounts. I saw where CeCe bought digital billboard time (her picture with Sarah Palin). David Hall's campaign consisted almost entirely of crappy looking yard signs. And he recycled his yard sign design for his wife's campaign. (She was running for "recorder of deeds"). His son is also running an almost invisible campaign for the state legislature. (Yes the Halls appear to be a political family).

Anyway, Palin's blog didn't give any figures and we have to take her word for it that CeCe was "outspent". But outspent by who? David Hall and his crappy yard signs, or Jeff Heartline with his slick website, Huckabee backing and second place finish?

jmdrake
08-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Hey, I'm a busy guy and I usually just skim the headlines unless it's something that's important to me. Besides I know which topics will generate discussion around here :)

The title isn't all that inaccurate. You just needed to dig a little deeper to point out the pathetic Palin spin. ;)

specsaregood
08-09-2010, 02:26 PM
You do realize that the blog post was quoting from the Palin blog and making fun of the spin right? No I guess not.

No, I was just going off the information at the link Matt provided.
Thanks for the further details.

Still, this statement by Matt is incorrect:

Her TN endorsement lost the election.

Her "endorsement" did not lose the election, the person she endorsed lost the election.

I almost care less for Palin, than I do misleading/sensational thread titles.

jmdrake
08-09-2010, 02:42 PM
No, I was just going off the information at the link Matt provided.
Thanks for the further details.

Still, this statement by Matt is incorrect:

Her "endorsement" did not lose the election, the person she endorsed lost the election.

I almost care less for Palin, than I do misleading/sensational thread titles.

Fair enough. I read what Matt wrote as "Her TN endorsed candidate lost the election" as opposed to "Her TN endorsement cost her candidate the election". Sloppy writing on Matt's part I suppose. ;) Saying "Her TN endorsement lost the election" is ambiguous.

Anyway, I'm sure Palin's endorsement helped CeCe somewhat. But flashy endorsements are no substitute for simply getting out with your volunteers on the ground knocking on doors and plastering the place with signs. (We plastered our city with Ron Paul signs in 2008, but we did our door knocking too little too late. :( ) It's interesting that my neighbor who campaigned for CeCe told me that some of the voters he talked to didn't even know the congressional district they were in. One firefighter looked at CeCe's picture and said "She's hot. I'll vote for her". :eek:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Of-Y2dBRE7k/S-l-tfPiPOI/AAAAAAAAAAg/PqEARKhAuxE/S220/profile3.JPG

Oh, and from what I hear CeCe's not an airhead. She's a constitutional lawyer. (Ok, don't hold her being a lawyer against her. ;) )

Matt Collins
08-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Fair enough. I read what Matt wrote as "Her TN endorsed candidate lost the election" as opposed to "Her TN endorsement cost her candidate the election". Sloppy writing on Matt's part I suppose. ;) Saying "Her TN endorsement lost the election" is ambiguous.Yes, absolutely and I realize that. But there is a character limit to the title fields not to mention a psychological limit to how many words people will read when scanning the thread titles.

Oh, and from what I hear CeCe's not an airhead. She's a constitutional lawyer. (Ok, don't hold her being a lawyer against her. ;) )I voted for her because in a room full of Republicans she came out very openly against the Patriot Act

nate895
08-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Clint Didier has Palin's endorsement prominently featured in some of his literature. That is one thing I do not like about going door-to-door: The risk of someone seeing that.

jmdrake
08-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Yes, absolutely and I realize that. But there is a character limit to the title fields not to mention a psychological limit to how many words people will read when scanning the thread titles.

I voted for her because in a room full of Republicans she came out very openly against the Patriot Act

I voted for her too based on that fact.

fj45lvr
08-10-2010, 01:34 AM
when was she ever relevant???

cindy25
08-10-2010, 02:08 AM
no one can always support the winner.

malkusm
08-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Is Palin becoming irrelevant?

i know in Maryland republicans are outright angry at her. :mad: She endorsed an unknown (Brian Murphy) TO PURPOSELY SPLIT THE REPUBLICAN VOTE. She even sent out letters to all republicans asking them to vote for Brian Murphy in November!

Ehrlich is loved by all Marylanders except P.G. and Montgomery counties (D.C. suburbs). After Glendenning (democrat) destroyed the state with debt when he was governor years ago, Ehrlich was voted in and not only got our finances under control, but also ended up with a huge surplus when he left office. I can drive for literally miles and miles throughout the state and all you see are signs for Ehrlich.

Unfortunately (only because of the D.C. suburbs) O'Malley (democrat) was voted in after Ehrlich, and now the state is a disaster. Ehrlich is a good guy...he's a lawyer fulltime and part-time his wife Kendel and him have a local radio show.

Palin's top advisor, however, is in with big money in the Maryland Democratic Party and spent $500,000.00 on O'Malley's (democratic) campaign last time to beat Ehrlich.
It's a tight race running neck and neck: if this splits the republican vote, we can all thank Palin for destroying Maryland.

When will republicans learn: Palin's folksy 'real' America behavior is a false exterior: an empty suit whose only goal is her own power and her own wealth. imho she is Obama without a brain.

http://www.examiner.com/x-39477-Baltimore-Conservative-Issues-Examiner~y2010m8d4-Palins-lump-of-Coale

Palin endorsed Murphy over Ehrlich? I can't say that's a bad thing. Most Maryland GOPers might be mad at her for it, but that's because they are largely "Rah Rah, Go Team GOP" people. Murphy is more of a Ron Paul type.