PDA

View Full Version : Politicians at Sunday service

tropicangela
08-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Anyone ever been to a church service where a political figure running for office took center stage and spoke about his values (including being pro life, and fighting for liberty and freedom,) and then later he got back up so that everyone could pray for him (his campaign and votes)? Where they had a table in the foyer with bumper stickers with "vote for ____" and voter registration sheets?

Well that happened to me today after I went out of town to visit a lifelong friend and accepted an invitation to her church... I'm still processing what I witnessed.

The pastor said he realizes people want to separate church and state but reasoned that people should want to vote for people that hold the same values they do... and said this political figure does. Pastor also said they were going to spread their values and reject atheism.

Oy.

Anti Federalist
08-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Anyone ever been to a church service where a political figure running for office took center stage and spoke about his values (including being pro life, and fighting for liberty and freedom,) and then later he got back up so that everyone could pray for him (his campaign and votes)? Where they had a table in the foyer with bumper stickers with "vote for ____" and voter registration sheets?

Well that happened to me today after I went out of town to visit a lifelong friend and accepted an invitation to her church... I'm still processing what I witnessed.

The pastor said he realizes people want to separate church and state but reasoned that people should want to vote for people that hold the same values they do... and said this political figure does. Pastor also said they were going to spread their values and reject atheism.

Oy.

If that church is a 501-3(c) charitable organization, they could be in hot water with the IRS for that.

That said, was the candidate for office antiwar?

tropicangela
08-08-2010, 07:18 PM
He didn't say anything about war that I remember. But he did sue for Obamacare.

Anti Federalist
08-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Wasn't this guy, was it?

http://mantiqaltayr.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/cabala_newt_gingrich.jpg

tropicangela
08-08-2010, 07:20 PM
no who is that?

Vessol
08-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Religion and State have gone hand in hand for ages. I don't see why people are surprised when the State manipulates the religious for their own goals. That's the whole point of organized religion(note I say organized)

Anti Federalist
08-08-2010, 07:55 PM
no who is that?

I was being a wise guy.

That's Newt.

tropicangela
08-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Religion and State have gone hand in hand for ages. I don't see why people are surprised when the State manipulates the religious for their own goals. That's the whole point of organized religion(note I say organized)

The pastor said God's Kingdom is synonymous with God's Government.

Vessol
08-08-2010, 08:30 PM
The pastor said God's Kingdom is synonymous with God's Government.

A theocracy is worse and more powerful than any other form of tyranny..

Cowlesy
08-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Chuck Baldwin preaches freedom from the pulpit. Definitely my favorite sermons.

jmdrake
08-08-2010, 08:39 PM

Oy.

In my particular faith politicians openly campaigning are frowned on, though that's hard to stop once they start rolling. I was at a service a few months ago honoring one of our senior members and one of our congress critters (who is so vile that I will not dignify him by mentioning his name) gave a presentation after which he said "And I'm so glad Mrs. _____ lived to see this historic day when universal healthcare was passed." I had to do all in my power to restrain myself from shouting out You lie! (I really like Mrs. _____ and I wouldn't ruin her day for political reasons.) I should send this congress critter a DVD where our youth pastor basically came out and said Obama was in league with the masons and that the masons were in league with the forces of darkness. Oh yeah, and this is a 95% African American church. :D

On another personal note, when I was much younger I was asked by an independent congressional candidate to speak for him at a church. This was at the main Sunday service. I was brief and well received. But I felt really awkward.

jmdrake
08-08-2010, 08:42 PM

Chuck Baldwin definitely rocks! That said I personally see a difference between sermons that touch on political themes and actual campaigning. Maybe it's just me, but I want sermons that are relevant to the world around me. I'm even ok if I disagree with a particular political position. Just don't tell me who to vote for.

Anti Federalist
08-08-2010, 09:08 PM

Would like to line up this fellow:

http://www.thepatriotpastor.org/

for the massive December 16th rally and money bomb in Boston. ;)

I've talked to the man a couple of times, he's damn near a neighbor of mine, good guy.

TNforPaul45
08-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Any politician who walks into a Church and does not immediately burst into flames proves the fact of the Infinite Mercy of God.

tropicangela
08-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Chuck Baldwin definitely rocks! That said I personally see a difference between sermons that touch on political themes and actual campaigning. Maybe it's just me, but I want sermons that are relevant to the world around me. I'm even ok if I disagree with a particular political position. Just don't tell me who to vote for.

I was uneasy of how they made him out to be "the one."

Besides the attorney general and his wife, it appeared that I was the only other caucasion woman in the whole place. Everyone else was latino including my friends. The pastor is mexican. The place was HUGE and pack jammed.

The pastor also talked about an arena they were going to build now that they scored acreage for 6 million dollars. He said the asking price was 10mil but he was able to get it down.