PDA

View Full Version : Boy Scouts Boo Obama At National Jamboree

Matt Collins
08-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Boy Scouts Boo Obama At National Jamboree:

YouTube - ‪obama message booed at the boy scout national jamboree 2010‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAWsy7VV8oE&feature=player_embedded)

jmdrake
08-08-2010, 06:34 PM
LOL. Young racists! ;)

Matt Collins
08-08-2010, 06:34 PM
YouTube - ‪DAY FOUR #4 - 2010 National Boy Scout Jamboree - Fort A. P. Hill, Virginia (HD)‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEAd6t_ObWc&feature=player_embedded)

libertybrewcity
08-08-2010, 06:44 PM
sweet, i need to stop reading these comments. People are literally insane! I could spend all day responding to ignorant and hateful people.

FrankRep
08-08-2010, 06:44 PM
sweet, i need to stop reading these comments. People are literally insane! I could spend all day responding to ignorant and hateful people.

http://www.bpwrap.com/wp-content/duty_calls.png

jmdrake
08-08-2010, 07:00 PM

LOL. I need to print that out.

Vessol
08-08-2010, 07:43 PM
What selfish brats. Who do you think paid for that jamboree?

Edit: I have to point out before I'm flamed to death here, as I always am when I bring up the boyscouts.

Obama did not pay for the National Jamboree.

The Pentagon did.

So really, you and me payed for the jamboree.

Take from that as you will..

Koz
08-08-2010, 07:53 PM
These kids are little white racists. I bet all of thier parents are rich too. Rich kid racists.

Matt Collins
08-08-2010, 10:51 PM

Edit: I have to point out before I'm flamed to death here, as I always am when I bring up the boyscouts.

The Pentagon did.

Take from that as you will..Again you are incorrect. The DoD may have spent a negligible amount of money on prepping the facility and support for the event, but the event itself was not funded by the DoD AFAIK.

Bruno
08-08-2010, 11:00 PM
The last voice heard, "I hope you're watching this!!" lol

Petar
08-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Awesome

If only the Hitler youth would have been such little shits.

Matt Collins
08-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Awesome

If only the Hitler youth would have been such little shits.
As an Eagle Scout myself I can tell you we are trained to be the best ;):p

j/k

Captain America
08-08-2010, 11:27 PM
how the hell is this rasist. maybe they understand he is destorying liberties

Kregisen
08-08-2010, 11:31 PM
how the hell is this rasist.

YouTube - ‪He Was A Retard‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpsttlXye8)

libertybrewcity
08-09-2010, 12:11 AM
how the hell is this rasist. maybe they understand he is destorying liberties

There is nothing racist about this. "Racist" insults were all the rage in the comments section. One person was saying how it is bad to insult the president because he is democratically elected.

WHT! And I suppose they want ban all free speech too? Damn libs

JustinTime
08-09-2010, 02:53 AM

The Pentagon did.

Best use of my tax dollars in years.

JustinTime
08-09-2010, 02:58 AM
There is nothing racist about this. "Racist" insults were all the rage in the comments section. One person was saying how it is bad to insult the president because he is democratically elected.

WHT! And I suppose they want ban all free speech too? Damn libs

"Racist" is a meaningless word. Its like being called "heretic" in sixteenth century Spain, or "witch" in Salem circa 1692.

I oppose genuine racial hate, hating someone for their race alone, but our culture has reached the point where anytime anyone with white skin criticizes anyone with darker skin, the darker skinned person can defend himself by calling the lighter skinned person "racist" and avoid actually having to defend himself with an actual argument.

Its a word for the unthinking, the emotional and the demagogues in our culture.

The sooner our society gets over that word the better off we will be.

pacelli
08-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Has anyone ever gone to a national jamboree before? I have. I can tell you that I'd rather go camping in the mountains. The national jamboree is basically an over-crowded fema camp on a military base. Yeah, it is kind of neat to see scouts from all over the world, and it was sort of cool to be able to sit in military vehicles.

I think people are jumping to conclusions and reading into why these scouts were booing the president's taped message. When I was at the jamboree, the president didn't show up. The president rarely shows up. And when you are camping out in the heat and surrounded by people, and having to stand for these idiotic shows for hours at a time (after walking 45 minutes to get to the area), you get a little pissed at people who don't go through the same steps you are going through. We booed anyone who gave us a taped message. Our big highlight was a live performance by Lee Greenwood. Whoop-dee-doo. I think they were booing him for not showing up. One of the big things that is reinforced by leadership during these jamborees is the importance of BEING THERE. Halfway through the week you are running around psychologically conditioned that the entire scouting world and anyone remotely relevant to it is on this military base. So when you see taped messages, you boo.

Fun piece of trivia- this is the last national jamboree that will be held at Fort AP Hill, Va. Future jamborees will be held at... the Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve. Anybody familiar with Bechtel??

Romulus
08-09-2010, 08:30 AM
I never understood the point of the boy-scouts.

Matt Collins
08-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Teach skills, experience nature, build character, and most importantly gives kids something fun to do that they can use later on in life.

Bruno
08-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Has anyone ever gone to a national jamboree before? I have. I can tell you that I'd rather go camping in the mountains. The national jamboree is basically an over-crowded fema camp on a military base. Yeah, it is kind of neat to see scouts from all over the world, and it was sort of cool to be able to sit in military vehicles.

I think people are jumping to conclusions and reading into why these scouts were booing the president's taped message. When I was at the jamboree, the president didn't show up. The president rarely shows up. And when you are camping out in the heat and surrounded by people, and having to stand for these idiotic shows for hours at a time (after walking 45 minutes to get to the area), you get a little pissed at people who don't go through the same steps you are going through. We booed anyone who gave us a taped message. Our big highlight was a live performance by Lee Greenwood. Whoop-dee-doo. I think they were booing him for not showing up. One of the big things that is reinforced by leadership during these jamborees is the importance of BEING THERE. Halfway through the week you are running around psychologically conditioned that the entire scouting world and anyone remotely relevant to it is on this military base. So when you see taped messages, you boo.

Fun piece of trivia- this is the last national jamboree that will be held at Fort AP Hill, Va. Future jamborees will be held at... the Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve. Anybody familiar with Bechtel??

Thanks for sharing your personal experience. It does help put it in perspective.

What can you share about the Bechtel family?

Matt Collins
08-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Has anyone ever gone to a national jamboree before? I have. I can tell you that I'd rather go camping in the mountains. The national jamboree is basically an over-crowded fema camp on a military base. I have never had the (dis)pleasure to attend one but I remember from others that it's like the cattle call :p

I had no idea.

After Googling: http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/TheSummit/CenterFact.aspx

It's going to be in southern WV just west of the Jefferson National Forest.

Romulus
08-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Teach skills, experience nature, build character, and most importantly gives kids something fun to do that they can use later on in life.

All good things.. but wrapped in a 'boyscout' package is somewhat conformist to country and god. Plus is sort of creepy with certain adults that are involved. lol

Noob
08-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Boo the liar!!

His father did not serve in World War 2!!

Were there no reporters who double checked these statements and called the party on this?
They did for everyone else. Why not him?

Barack Hussein Obama Sr. (Obama's father)
Born 4/4/36
Died 11/24/82 at the age of 46
He was 5 years old when WW 2 started, and less than 9.5 years old when it ended.

Lolo Soetoro (Obama's step father)
Born 1935
Died 3/2/87 at the age of 52
He was 6 years old when WW 2 started, and 10 years old when it ended.

One of these guys must have been the youngest Veteran in the war.

Obama says his father served in World War 2

YouTube - ‪Obama says his father served in World War II‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv4jnlkxOaw)

Matt Collins
08-09-2010, 10:46 AM
All good things.. but wrapped in a 'boyscout' package is somewhat conformist to country and god. Plus is sort of creepy with certain adults that are involved. lolMost adults in the BSA are fine, parents of the kids. And it's not as conformist as you might think; it all depends on your troop. But it's voluntary, so if it's not your thing, then don't go :)

Natalie
08-09-2010, 11:06 AM

Hahahaha! Reminds me of someone I know...

Umbro2914
08-09-2010, 11:31 AM
pleasee this booing is nothing to cheer about. It just means these rich white kids come from the suburbs and their parents support the run of the mill Republicans. These kids wouldve been cheering Bush or McCain, who as we know are no different than Obama. I went to a Boys State (google it) and almost everyone there was white from the suburbs, which does not reflect the make up of NJ. Anyway they all booed Corzine, but lets not look too deeply into it, because that does NOT mean they understand the differneace between D and R, and they support Liberty..

Stary Hickory
08-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Well the Boy Scouts should not be funded by the government at all, but these guys had every right to boo the dictator-in-chief as much as they felt like it.

Kudos for them.

RCA
08-09-2010, 11:58 AM

The Pentagon did.

Take from that as you will..

What else is wrong with the Boyscouts? I don't know anything about them.

Matt Collins
08-09-2010, 12:15 PM
It just means these rich white kids come from the suburbs and their parents support the run of the mill Republicans. These kids wouldve been cheering Bush or McCain, who as we know are no different than Obama. Don't count on it. Most Boy Scouts are not rich. And since many of them tend to be free thinkers because they are trained to think for themselves, there are a lot more libertarian / Constitutionalists than you probably think.

Lord Xar
08-09-2010, 12:42 PM
pleasee this booing is nothing to cheer about. It just means these rich white kids come from the suburbs and their parents support the run of the mill Republicans. These kids wouldve been cheering Bush or McCain, who as we know are no different than Obama. I went to a Boys State (google it) and almost everyone there was white from the suburbs, which does not reflect the make up of NJ. Anyway they all booed Corzine, but lets not look too deeply into it, because that does NOT mean they understand the differneace between D and R, and they support Liberty..

Get your own biased agenda out of here. Obama is a piece of shit and deserves to be boooed wherever he goes. And Kudos for the kids for doing it. I can make assumptions on who they would cheer but that is irrelevant.

Matt Collins
08-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Hahahaha! Reminds me of someone I know...
Details? :D

Vessol
08-09-2010, 01:04 PM

Recruitment fodder. Military recruiters best friends are Scout Troop Leaders.

As for the skills Matt mentioned. I learned all that stuff growing up in Montana. I don't see why you need a national program to teach that stuff.

Bruno
08-09-2010, 01:05 PM

If you're talking about this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boys/Girls_State it has nothing to do with the Boy Scouts.

Boy Scouts are local groups. You'll find them in every community - rich, poor, white, black, etc. If there are under-represented in poor areas (I don't know the stats), then that would only mean that those people in that community to not volunteer to support troops there. Many Boy Scout troops raise money by selling firewood, Christmas trees, etc. to go on their trips. I went door-to-door selling lightbulbs for ours. We were a family of eight growing up and were at the poverty level.

Vessol
08-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Why do the boy scouts need a top hierarchy when they can be supported just as well locally?

Matt Collins
08-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Recruitment fodder. Military recruiters best friends are Scout Troop Leaders.Not hardly. Most Scouts don't go into the military, and in fact there is a great deal of people within the BSA who want to keep it as anti-military as possible. In fact they even have a rule that cammo isn't allowed, sometimes it's enforced, sometimes it's not.

As for the skills Matt mentioned. I learned all that stuff growing up in Montana. I don't see why you need a national program to teach that stuff.Most people don't grow up in MT.

Why do the boy scouts need a top hierarchy when they can be supported just as well locally?Pooling of resources and consistency of program.

Vessol
08-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Maybe it's just my experience, but out of the 7 people growing up that I knew were in the boy scouts. 6/7 are currently in the military, the other 1/7 is training as a correctional officer. 2/7 of them are at the Naval Academy. 1/7 is in the Air Force, and 2/7 are in the Marines.

If you also look at a lot of Special Forces and Infantry, you'll see that a lot of them were previous boy scouts. A lot of military officers are also Eagle Scouts.

Maybe it's a matter of perspective as I have no hard data, nor do you, but from my perspective the Boy Scouts play an important part for the military.

http://www.bsalegal.org/tribute-to-the-military-293.asp

I mean. If they are teaching survival skills and other well-meaning stuff. Why do they need uniforms to show different ranks, and badges to show accomplishments? Those are from the military.

I'm not saying that the Boy Scouts are bad, or that the benefits they provide to their members are bad. I'm just cautious of the nature of the existence of the boy scouts.

Matt Collins
08-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Maybe it's just my experience, but out of the 7 people growing up that I knew were in the boy scouts. 6/7 are currently in the military, the other 1/7 is training as a correctional officer. 2/7 of them are at the Naval Academy. 1/7 is in the Air Force, and 2/7 are in the Marines.

If you also look at a lot of Special Forces and Infantry, you'll see that a lot of them were previous boy scouts. A lot of military officers are also Eagle Scouts.

Maybe it's a matter of perspective as I have no hard data, nor do you, but from my perspective the Boy Scouts play an important part for the military.
Yes it is anecdotal experience on your part.

But yes there are similarities between the military and the BSA - Lord Baden Powell was an officer in the British Army and so there of course tend to be elements within the organization that are similar to the way the military organizes and operates.

And because of this many Boy Scouts are attracted into the military because of a lot of similarities - leadership, hiking, camping, swimming, PT, etc. You'll find a higher concentration of former Boy Scouts and Eagle Scouts in the military than in other places, but don't confuse correlation with causation.

The BSA is not a recruiting tool of the military, if it was it would be a lot smaller with less members.

JustinTime
08-09-2010, 01:55 PM
pleasee this booing is nothing to cheer about. It just means these rich white kids come from the suburbs and their parents support the run of the mill Republicans. These kids wouldve been cheering Bush or McCain, who as we know are no different than Obama. I went to a Boys State (google it) and almost everyone there was white from the suburbs, which does not reflect the make up of NJ..

Who cares? They dont have to reflect a damn thing.

oyarde
08-09-2010, 04:28 PM
I was a Cub Scout ,Webolo , Boy Scout, Acholyte and later usher at church.I hunted , fished , trapped.I played football , soccer , ran track and cross country.I do not feel that those things had much to do with the person I have become.Mostly for my own experience they just kept me busy and out of trouble.I personally knew no wealthy Boy Scouts.

moostraks
08-09-2010, 06:58 PM

http://www.bsalegal.org/tribute-to-the-military-293.asp

I mean. If they are teaching survival skills and other well-meaning stuff. Why do they need uniforms to show different ranks, and badges to show accomplishments? Those are from the military.

I'm not saying that the Boy Scouts are bad, or that the benefits they provide to their members are bad. I'm just cautious of the nature of the existence of the boy scouts.

Matt is making sweeping generalizations as to the merit of the boy scouts. Those in Marietta, GA were pandering to the military so much that we quit after two years of saluting folks and paying tribute to soldiers CONSTANTLY! I did NOT want my son thinking we were grooming him for the military and the majority of the focus in our area was on future service to God and country, I have that drilled in my brain we heard it so much and I was not a leader. I wanted him to learn different skills and that was not their focus or intent.

So despite all the happy memories some may have, all scout leaders are not the same. Yes, they do raise them as future cannon fodder in many areas.:(

moostraks
08-09-2010, 07:00 PM
I was a Cub Scout ,Webolo , Boy Scout, Acholyte and later usher at church.I hunted , fished , trapped.I played football , soccer , ran track and cross country.I do not feel that those things had much to do with the person I have become.Mostly for my own experience they just kept me busy and out of trouble.I personally knew no wealthy Boy Scouts.

Should have been in my area. We saw the inside of many a mcmansion during our tour of duty.

oyarde
08-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Should have been in my area. We saw the inside of many a mcmansion during our tour of duty.

Most of what I learned at that age probably came from reading( outside of school) and some older, male family members. Time may be relevent , this would have been in the 70's and I do not think the word mcmansion was in use yet , but I am aware of the type of home you are speaking of.The majority of people I knew were probably slightly less afluent than that.Even had they been affluent , you were not likely to see that outwardly as that much money would not be spent on homes/vehicles.

james1906
08-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Matt,

I was in scouting too. There is recruitment. Every year, we went to one of the nearby bases, got to camp for free, eat subsidized meals, go subsidized bowling, watch subsidized movies, and look at cool shit like fighter jets and planes.

I was also in a liberal troop and we did this stuff. We also went rock climbing, waterskiing, etc.

Matt Collins
08-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Matt is making sweeping generalizations as to the merit of the boy scouts. Those in Marietta, GA were pandering to the military so much that we quit after two years of saluting folks and paying tribute to soldiers CONSTANTLY! I did NOT want my son thinking we were grooming him for the military and the majority of the focus in our area was on future service to God and country, I have that drilled in my brain we heard it so much and I was not a leader. I wanted him to learn different skills and that was not their focus or intent.

So despite all the happy memories some may have, all scout leaders are not the same. Yes, they do raise them as future cannon fodder in many areas.:(Absolutely. Was it every troop in your area, or just the troop you were in? It's different everywhere you go, but institution-wide it is definitely not a part of the program.

Matt Collins
08-09-2010, 08:50 PM
I was in scouting too. There is recruitment. Every year, we went to one of the nearby bases, got to camp for free, eat subsidized meals, go subsidized bowling, watch subsidized movies, and look at cool shit like fighter jets and planes.So did we. But that's not recruitment. :rolleyes:

james1906
08-09-2010, 09:27 PM
So did we. But that's not recruitment. :rolleyes:

How is it not?

Matt Collins
08-09-2010, 09:35 PM
How is it not?
It's use and touring facilities. That's not the same as recruitment.

james1906
08-09-2010, 10:02 PM
It's use and touring facilities. That's not the same as recruitment.

Matt....and what purpose did you think touring those facilities served?

Matt Collins
08-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Matt....and what purpose did you think touring those facilities served?Learning about the government, the military, technology, seeing things that people don't normally get to see. It's interesting.

Have you ever touched a nuclear weapon?
I have... twice. :)

james1906
08-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Have you ever touched a nuclear weapon?

Do a lot of women slap you for asking this?

Matt Collins
08-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Do a lot of women slap you for asking this?
Not quite so much a "slap" :p

oyarde
08-13-2010, 07:39 PM
We never visited any military installations in Scouting and there was even one close by.

libertarian4321
08-14-2010, 01:23 AM
Didn't we already cover the fact that US Taxpayer's ARE FUNDING the BS Jamboree?

While it may not cost millions, it almost certainly costs hundreds of thousands- for all the people like me- both DoD civilian and active duty military, who support this event- to say nothing of costs of utilities, planning, clean up, and the like.

BTW, I did some research on this "horrible slight" by Obama. In reality, the US President has attended only 3 of the last 8 jamborees. The usually 1) send a flunky (VP or lesser official) or (most often) 2) send a taped message (which is what Obama did).

Anyway, in the future, if the Boy Scouts want to use Ft. AP Hill, they should reimburse the military for every man hour spent on it, and reimburse for all other expenses.

oyarde
08-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Didn't we already cover the fact that US Taxpayer's ARE FUNDING the BS Jamboree?

While it may not cost millions, it almost certainly costs hundreds of thousands- for all the people like me- both DoD civilian and active duty military, who support this event- to say nothing of costs of utilities, planning, clean up, and the like.

BTW, I did some research on this "horrible slight" by Obama. In reality, the US President has attended only 3 of the last 8 jamborees. The usually 1) send a flunky (VP or lesser official) or (most often) 2) send a taped message (which is what Obama did).

Anyway, in the future, if the Boy Scouts want to use Ft. AP Hill, they should reimburse the military for every man hour spent on it, and reimburse for all other expenses.

Biden would definaetlybe a "flunky".

fisharmor
08-16-2010, 01:43 PM
I didn't go to the national jamboree when I was a scout, because I jumped out of my bedroom window to go get stoned and laid all that weekend.
I don't really regret my decision.

I was in a REALLY militaristic troop full of leaders and children of fathers who were archetypal pentagon gangsters. Yes, most of the other eagles from my troop ended up serving.

I wore my hair down for my court of honor (it was halfway to my ass at the time) and I shaved my 6" beard into a fork for the occasion. If I didn't have really dark brown hair I'd have dyed it purple as a further "fuck you" to my troop's leaders.

The one eagle from my troop with whom I am still in voluntary contact likes to bed hispanic women and recently blew a whole bunch of money hiking up Mt Kilimanjaro to help him deal with the imminent birth of his illegitimate child.

Almost all the other eagles I've met in adulthood were stoner buddies before finding out that they were also eagles.

Boy Scouts isn't what it used to be - at least not everywhere. Penn & Teller were pretty spot on in their BS! show. I have only daughters, but if I had sons I'd be really careful about how smart & resistant they are before letting them join scouts. There's still a lot of good, but there's also a LOT of militaristic horseshit, libertarian mark-missing, herd mentality, mean-spirited hazing, and soul-damning theology wrapped up in the experience.

Matt Collins
08-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Boy Scouts isn't what it used to be - at least not everywhere. Penn & Teller were pretty spot on in their BS! show. I have only daughters, but if I had sons I'd be really careful about how smart & resistant they are before letting them join scouts. There's still a lot of good, but there's also a LOT of militaristic horseshit, libertarian mark-missing, herd mentality, mean-spirited hazing, and soul-damning theology wrapped up in the experience.
It depends on the troop which is largely the result of the neighborhood.

I was in a REALLY militaristic troop full of leaders and children of fathers who were archetypal pentagon gangsters. Yes, most of the other eagles from my troop ended up serving.

The one eagle from my troop with whom I am still in voluntary contact likes to bed hispanic women and recently blew a whole bunch of money hiking up Mt Kilimanjaro to help him deal with the imminent birth of his illegitimate child.

Almost all the other eagles I've met in adulthood were stoner buddies before finding out that they were also eagles.All of that is very sad and unfortunate. :(

00_Pete
08-16-2010, 06:00 PM
:D ZE boyscouts are statist-collectivist!! OMG ZE horror! :D

:) They need the be crushed by the libertarian boot to show them the right way! :)

PS - NEOCONS AND BILL KRISTOL ARE BEHIND THIS OPERATION! AND THE CHURCH!!! OMG!

CryLibertyOrDeath
08-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Sure is autistics who hate the Boy Scouts for no rational reason in here. I am an Eagle Scout, and the Boy Scouts definitely promote a healthy, republican-oriented civics education in addition to teaching young men to be proactive and take initiative not to mention all the survival skills.