PDA

View Full Version : Mosque schmosque

LibForestPaul
08-08-2010, 03:21 PM
I thought I had a simply question, who owns WTC cite. Apparently, I was a bit naive.

Governor Pataki established the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation (LMDC) in November 2001, as an official commission to oversee the rebuilding process.[22] The LMDC coordinates federal assistance in the rebuilding process, and works with the Port Authority, Larry Silverstein, and Studio Daniel Libeskind, the master plan architect for the site's redesign. The corporation also handles communication with the local community, businesses, the city of New York, and relatives of victims of the September 11 attacks.[23] A 16-member board of directors, half appointed by the governor and half by the mayor of New York, governs the LMDC.[24]

The LMDC had questionable legal status regarding the restoration of the World Trade Center site, because the Port Authority owns most of the property and Larry Silverstein leased the World Trade Center's office space in July 2001. But the LMDC, in an April 2002 articulation of its principles for action, asserted its role in revitalizing lower Manhattan.[25]

The World Trade Center site (ZIP code: 10048), also known as "Ground Zero" after the September 11 attacks, sits on 16 acres (65,000 m2) in Lower Manhattan in New York City.[1] The World Trade Center complex stood on the site until it was destroyed in the attacks; Studio Daniel Libeskind, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, Silverstein Properties, and the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation oversee the reconstruction of the site. The site is bounded by Vesey Street to the north, the West Side Highway to the west, Liberty Street to the south, and Church Street to the east. The Port Authority owns the site's land (except for 7 World Trade Center). Developer Larry Silverstein holds the lease to retail and office space in four of the site's buildings.[2]

While the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is often identified as the owner of the WTC site, the ownership situation is actually somewhat complex and ambiguous.[3] While the Port Authority indeed owns a "significant" internal portion of the 16-acre site, the Port Authority has acknowledged "ambiguities over ownership of miscellaneous strips of property at the World Trade Center site," going back to the 1960's. Two and a half acres of land at the site, representing the land where streets had been located prior to the development of the World Trade Center, have unclear ownership.

So how much of your and my tax dollars are going into billionaires pockets?