PDA

View Full Version : We ARE making progress

Thrashertm
08-07-2010, 03:12 PM
I have made 150 or so phone calls today, and I've noticed that most people have heard of Schiff. In my own informal polling, of the people that would answer, (5) 3 said they were supporting Schiff, and 2 McMahon. I am mostly getting voicemails.

I spoke at length to a McMahon supporter, and I think I won her over to Schiff. Peter is right, McMahon's support is a glass jaw, and people are eager to support someone of principle with his record.

KetchupMaster
08-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Anybody who says they support McMahon, tell them the primary is on wednesday. lol jk

I think we are definitely making progress.

Thrashertm
08-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Just spoke to someone else that met Peter at the convention and is now an ardent supporter.

iFollowPeterSchiff
08-07-2010, 04:58 PM
(trying to multitask, but very bad at this)

Depressing day for me. 100 calls in about 1.5 hours, which is better than twice the rate I've done before. This isn't a good thing because most people aren't answering or hanging up. (Surprised at how little voice mail I got today too.)

Several irate people annoyed at calls promised to vote against Peter if they remember. (One already voted absentee so they can't.)

More women seem to be angry than men. (Could be my presentation.)

One guy said you won't change any minds via phone. (I know this isn't true.) Thought Peter was a another rich guy buying the seat. Wouldn't let me say much to disprove that. (Wouldn't tell me if he was a Simmons supporter.)

Convinced one guy to vote for Peter.
Another woman in the strong maybe category.
One family already supports Peter.

Still haven't encountered any overt Linda supporters.

Hang up excuses are (not contesting whether legit, just listing):
long distance call waiting
family member is dying of cancer
have guests over
cooking dinner
waiting for call from family member in iraq
just house sitting
just moved, not registered

I've had much better results when my calling rates are less than half this on other days. Too bad for me that the incentive prizes (t-shirt) disregard this fact.

Thrashertm
08-07-2010, 05:02 PM
(trying to multitask, but very bad at this)

Depressing day for me. 100 calls in about 1.5 hours, which is better than twice the rate I've done before. This isn't a good thing because most people aren't answering or hanging up. (Surprised at how little voice mail I got today too.)

Several irate people annoyed at calls promised to vote against Peter if they remember. (One already voted absentee so they can't.)

More women seem to be angry than men. (Could be my presentation.)

One guy said you won't change any minds via phone. (I know this isn't true.) Thought Peter was a another rich guy buying the seat. Wouldn't let me say much to disprove that. (Wouldn't tell me if he was a Simmons supporter.)

Convinced one guy to vote for Peter.
Another woman in the strong maybe category.
One family already supports Peter.

Still haven't encountered any overt Linda supporters.

Hang up excuses are (not contesting whether legit, just listing):
long distance call waiting
family member is dying of cancer
have guests over
cooking dinner
waiting for call from family member in iraq
just house sitting
just moved, not registered

I've had much better results when my calling rates are less than half this on other days. Too bad for me that the incentive prizes (t-shirt) disregard this fact.

I just finished for the day, did about 250 calls in total I think. I would say that the results were much more positive. The last guy I spoke with was a big Schiff supporter, and it was a big motivator talking to him.

CoreyBowen999
08-07-2010, 05:10 PM
I would personally like to thank you guys for all you are doing..

brocius
08-07-2010, 05:43 PM
I swear every other person I talk to on these calls is either eating dinner, or has a family member dying of cancer. I don't get how people can't take 30 seconds to a minute of of their day to become more informed about a Senate race in their own back yard. A lot people don't want to care about anything anymore, and seem like they like being kept in the dark and out of the political process. So much for we the people. Hopefully Schiff gets elected so this country can wake the f back up.

SamuraisWisdom
08-07-2010, 06:35 PM
I swear every other person I talk to on these calls is either eating dinner, or has a family member dying of cancer. I don't get how people can't take 30 seconds to a minute of of their day to become more informed about a Senate race in their own back yard. A lot people don't want to care about anything anymore, and seem like they like being kept in the dark and out of the political process. So much for we the people. Hopefully Schiff gets elected so this country can wake the f back up.

Don't be discouraged by these phone calls. People in CT tend to be much more apathetic toward politics for a lot of reasons, one being how corrupt things are here with seemingly nothing we can do about it.

Thrashertm
08-07-2010, 08:07 PM

That's what happens if you call around dinner time :)

Don't take it personally. Just make sure you mention Peter's name to at least get up his recognition.

G-Wohl
08-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Remember that people may be understandably angry about cold-calls like the ones we're making. The average person probably doesn't understand the difference between a political cold-call (which is aided through voter information lists that cost an exorbitant amount of money) and telemarketers and other randomized call services.

To these people, it's just another "unsolicited" phone call, and unless people have a particular interest in the race, most will likely be unreceptive. Luckily for us, we want to be talking to the people interested in the race.

Koz
08-08-2010, 04:33 AM

Yeah, if a family member is dying of cancer you are not allowed to accept phone calls, it's a well known fact. I'm calling BS here. I used to cold call for a living and people have excuses ready to go to get off of the phone.

Tell them that you are sorry and ask them if they care about thier country and this will only take 60 seconds.

Ireland4Liberty
08-09-2010, 04:28 AM
You guys are amazing!!

Hats off. In europe, it would be unheard of volunteers putting effort behind a candidate. :(

I guess that is why we have such a turbulent political past.

american.swan
08-09-2010, 06:14 AM
I always ask the people cold calling me where they are from and see what information I can get out of them. One dude called my house from Sprint. My family used AT&T at the time and I was in college. My parents didn't want to take the call so I did. I got the dude to admit all sorts of stuff like Sprint piggy backs on AT&T network and at that point the call was pointless. Why switch to Sprint? I kind of enjoyed strange calls. Some would hang up on me when I asked them where they were.