PDA

View Full Version : Musician Wyclef Jean to run for President of Haiti

Natalie
08-07-2010, 09:50 AM
//

AlexMerced
08-07-2010, 09:58 AM
While I doubt I'd agree too much with Wyclef on policy, he'd be a step up from current politicians, and would hopefully reduce the corruption. We'll see, Wyclef and Haiti will be interesting to see

MelissaWV
08-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Having a President that comes with "their own money" would hopefully reduce the level of corruption on the island. There are few people who would be President of Haiti for altruistic reasons. Kudos to him, and hopefully this works out.

revolutionary8
08-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Former Fugee Pras not backing Wyclef for president

NEW YORK — Wyclef Jean's presidential bid in Haiti is receiving criticism from his childhood friend and fellow Fugees bandmate, Pras.

The Haitian-born musician says he will not back Jean because he lacks a definitive plan to bring the island nation into the 21st century.

"You've got 1.2 million people living in tent city right now. What are the plans to get these people out," Pras said of the survivors of the Jan. 12 earthquake.

Pras plans to support Jean's opponent, Michel "Sweet Micky" Martelly, who he said is better suited to run the country.

"He's more popular in Haiti than Wyclef," said Pras.

Jean's publicist, Leslie Chasky, didn't immediately return a telephone call Friday night seeking a response to Pras' comments.

Jean is currently regarded as the front-runner in the country's Nov. 28 election. But he has come under scrutiny since officially announcing his candidacy Thursday.

Actor Sean Penn has accused Jean of not spending enough time in Haiti after the quake and misappropriating $400,000 of the $9 million his charity, Yele Haiti, raised after the disaster. Jean told The Associated Press on Thursday: "I just want Sean Penn to fully understand I am a Haitian, born in Haiti and I've been coming to my country ever since (I was) a child."

Pras said that Jean uses a private jet for his frequent trips to Haiti and that he wonders why Jean doesn't take a commercial flight, since the money saved can help displaced families.

He added that he loves Wyclef "dearly," but he just doesn't support his policies.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gNEq9PqjTG3YhjNT5QnCTIOQF3iAD9HECBT00

I fear that Wyclef would unknowingly end up being a pwn for the IMF/MIC. He has praised Bill Clinton, comparted his presidential run w/ Obama's presidential run, and it seems he might have misappropriated funds from his own charity.

revolutionary8
08-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Here is an old Fugees movie if anyone is interested:

YouTube - ‪The Fugees Bootleg Movie - PT 1‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=654gczDNqic)

They began being very political, and they ended being political, and for "political" reasons. They always spoke out against police brutaility, and has hammered aganinst evil governments, illegal aliens, poice brutality,bankers, jordan maxwell, etc, but if Wyclef is an Obama fan and a Bill Clinton fan, he is just not seeing the forrest for the trees. It's sad.

In his interview with AP, Jean praised former U.S. President Bill Clinton's vision for Haiti's economy and said he would also work to attract foreign investment in agriculture, mining and the garment export industry — positions which Clinton readily admits will make Haiti's elites richer while growing a middle class.Clinton, who co-chairs the international commission overseeing a pledged $5.3 billion in reconstruction aid to Haiti, praised Jean but said he wanted to stay out of Haitian politics as the campaign season heats up.

"I consider him a friend of mine," Clinton, who as president restored Aristide to power, told The Associated Press on Friday. "I also have a high regard for the former prime minister (Alexis) ... I just want them to have a good election and I want it to reinforce, not undermine the reconstruction of the country."

He has compared his candidacy to that of U.S. President Barack Obama and says he wants to build Haiti's economy principally by attracting foreign investment — yet his campaign borrows songs, style and support from the populist liberation theologian and exiled Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jK6l4dHN9hCJ_FEDRV2NPiEsO1nQD9HE9B680