PDA

View Full Version : RNC Changes Presidential Primary Rules (Could help Ron Paul

Imperial
08-07-2010, 01:20 AM
From the National Journal:

The RNC has approved a resolution making dramatic changes to the way the GOP picks a presidential nominee, moving primaries to later dates and requiring states to allocate their delegates on a proportional basis.

The proposal will move the earliest nominating contests -- in IA, NH, SC and NV -- back from early Jan. to Feb. It will also require states that hold nominating contests in March to award delegates based on the proportion of votes candidates win, eliminating the prospect of an early winner-take-all state that would effectively end the nominating process.

Proponents said the measure would avoid the calamity of a national primary. Already, nearly 40 states have primaries scheduled for the first possible day in the nominating calendar.

"This is not a perfect rule, but it is the best possible rule under the circumstances we have now," said John Ryder, the TN national committeeman who served on the temporary panel that crafted the measure.

In practice, the new rules will require GOP WH candidates to place more emphasis on grassroots organizing. Candidates will have to build their campaigns in dozens of states, rather than focusing solely on raising money for TV ads. What's more, primaries won't be held so close to the winter holidays.

WorldonaString
08-07-2010, 01:47 AM
sounds great!

t0rnado
08-07-2010, 02:04 AM
More RP supporters should become delegates in 2012. In some states, you just need a few signatures and in others they're chosen at the state conventions.

Imaginos
08-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Sounds good!

specsaregood
08-07-2010, 07:57 AM
I just don't see how a political party can dictate this. Are they the ones paying for the primary voting and caucus activities? How are these decisions not up to the state?

Isaac Bickerstaff
08-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Excuse me for being cynical, but we need to figure out what they are actually trying to accomplish. They are incapable of telling the truth.

rich34
08-07-2010, 09:10 AM
If they're changing the rules I doubt it's an attempt in anyway to help Ron Paul. We'll figure it out when it's to late..

klamath
08-07-2010, 09:28 AM
This is a good thing. The system was getting very favorable to the well connected and funded.
The spread out primary system helps the candidates that get out and shakes the hands of the voters on a shoestring budget. When you have 40 states voting at once a good candidate with small name recognition is done. The politcal establishment candidates with the national name recognition will be the ones that always wins.

Epic
08-07-2010, 09:44 AM
I don't know, maybe this diminishes the effect of the Iowa Straw Poll, which is a must-win for us.

Alternatively, it lengthens the pre-season campaign, so we can fit in more moneybombs (one a month?).

Also, is Iowa still first? Seems like the first 4 can schedule anytime they want in February.

AlexMerced
08-07-2010, 10:03 AM
This is actually pretty logical, last time around you ended up with Mccain who couldn't raise money or had the grassroots Obama had...

they doubt they can raise the money to take on Obama, but if they can have a candidate with a strong grassroots, that better than having nothing like Mccain.

This can give an edge to a Ron Paul or Huckabee who have strong grassroots support, but I doubt it's their intention to help Ron Paul, but to be fair many of us have climbed the ranks of the party over the last two years, so this could be a sign of that influence.

AlexMerced
08-07-2010, 10:03 AM
I don't know, maybe this diminishes the effect of the Iowa Straw Poll, which is a must-win for us.

Alternatively, it lengthens the pre-season campaign, so we can fit in more moneybombs (one a month?).

Also, is Iowa still first? Seems like the first 4 can schedule anytime they want in February.

Nope, Iowa and almost every other state would go first.

acptulsa
08-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Well, they say that cramming them together would lead to grassroots campaigns having more power, but I'm not so sure. I think the more spread out it is the better for us. Some people--many people--don't even think about the primary candidates until after Iowa and New Hampshire.

But the proportional delegates is a very good thing. Undoubtedly they're just trying to prolong the process to keep more attention on the Republican brand for a longer period of time, but it's still a very good thing for us.

Matt Collins
08-07-2010, 10:29 AM
If they're changing the rules I doubt it's an attempt in anyway to help Ron Paul. We'll figure it out when it's to late..The majority of the GOP was not very happy that McCain won, especially down here in the South. They want the rules changed so that can't happen again.

acptulsa
08-07-2010, 10:35 AM
The majority of the GOP was not very happy that McCain won, especially down here in the South. They want the rules changed so that can't happen again.

Then they need to pass a rule fixing the number of conservatives and the number of RINOs that can run in a year, so the conservatives don't split their vote and pave the way for the RINO.

Either that, or we need to stick to voting for the real conservative, and pass on the big-spending spoiled sons of third rate auto executives. No rules needed for that; just a few brain cells.

Number19
08-07-2010, 11:15 AM
(edit) I got mixed up with the electoral college. Sorry.

Koz
08-07-2010, 11:44 AM
If they're changing the rules I doubt it's an attempt in anyway to help Ron Paul. We'll figure it out when it's to late..

I agree with this.

In light of the Tea Parties and establixhment candidates and incumbents getting thier asses handed to them this to me seems like a way for an establishment candidate to get nominated instead of a darkhorse stealing a couple of the early primaries and getting nominated.

I could be wrong and home I am.

BetaMale
08-07-2010, 12:18 PM
This is actually pretty logical, last time around you ended up with Mccain who couldn't raise money or had the grassroots Obama had...

they doubt they can raise the money to take on Obama, but if they can have a candidate with a strong grassroots, that better than having nothing like Mccain.

This can give an edge to a Ron Paul or Huckabee who have strong grassroots support, but I doubt it's their intention to help Ron Paul, but to be fair many of us have climbed the ranks of the party over the last two years, so this could be a sign of that influence.

This. Not everything the party does it is to "stick it" to Ron Paul. What I've read in this thread sounds like a good thing. RPs grassroots for 2012 is going to be epic.

Legend1104
08-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Excuse me for being cynical, but we need to figure out what they are actually trying to accomplish. They are incapable of telling the truth.

I think a lot of smaller rep. states, like my own Mississippi, probably complained that the old way focused to much on other states. By the time you get to primaries like MS, which are later in the year, no one cares any more because it is already basically decided by that point.