PDA

View Full Version : Sexual Statism

bobbyw24
08-05-2010, 05:38 AM
The decline of the male economy — and of fatherhood — arises less from the empowerment of women than from the government’s usurpation of the family.
By Stephen Baskerville

In “The End of Men,” the cover story of the July/August Atlantic, Hanna Rosin describes “how women are taking control of everything.” Suggesting that “the economics of the new era are better suited to women,” Rosin believes the fair sex are winning the struggle for the survival of the fittest. In what is apparently cause for celebration, she writes, “three-quarters of the 8 million jobs lost were lost by men” in the ongoing Great Recession. “The worst-hit industries were overwhelmingly male and deeply identified with macho: construction, manufacturing, high finance.” She contends that the economic crisis “merely revealed—and accelerated—a profound economic shift that has been going on for at least 30 years.”

The Atlantic used the same issue to ask, “Are Fathers Necessary?” Pamela Paul cites a widely publicized study purporting to prove that fathers are harmful in rearing children and that lesbians do it better. The study is politics camouflaged as social science—its authors acknowledge that the parenting virtues they extol are defined “in part in the service of an egalitarian ideology.” Their message echoes Rosin’s: within the home, as in the national economy, men are unreliable at best and pathological at worst. The Atlantic assures us that the decline of men is the product of impersonal forces against which we are powerless to respond, even if we wished to—which apparently we do not.

Rosin, whose essay is #1 on the magazine’s “Biggest Ideas of the Year” list, certainly identifies an important trend. But the phenomenon she describes is the result not of inexorable social forces but of conscious political decisions. The end of men is the consequence of the most profound trend in public life today: the sexualization of politics and the politicization of sex.

The emergence of sexual politics has elicited strikingly little critical treatment. Yet it represents the most radical change in the nature of government in modern times. The economic effects are only symptoms. More far-reaching are the vast shifts in political power at every level. Feminist ideology pervades every item on the public agenda: not just “women’s issues” like abortion but everything from gun control (think of the “Million Mom March”) and DWI laws (Mother Against Drunk Driving) to foreign policy (Code Pink). “Women have the most to gain and the most to lose in the climate crisis,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi claimed during the Copenhagen conference. “The impacts are not gender-neutral… . Women feel the consequences first.” Not an issue in public life has not been “gendered.”

The transformation of society wrought by sexual politics is most readily apparent where Rosin begins her article: with what she calls the “matriarchy” of the inner cities. Government policies produced this matriarchy: the men who are “increasingly absent from the home,” as Rosin writes, have been removed by welfare agencies and courts. The women are “making all the decisions” in inner-city households because the men have been forced out and government has usurped the role of father and husband, providing protection and income directly to the women and children. This produces in urban America not a “working class,” as Rosin terms it, but a class of government dependents whose living arrangements have been engineered by state officials.

As single motherhood spreads from the lower to the middle classes—among whom it is growing fastest—so does Rosin’s matriarchy. In the suburbs as in the cities, it is promoted by government machinery originally justified as helping the poor: child-care services, care for the elderly, public education, and publicly controlled healthcare.

http://www.amconmag.com/blog/sexual-statism/

ninepointfive
08-05-2010, 05:49 AM
I was thinking about this today. You've been posting some great articles!

bobbyw24
08-05-2010, 05:57 AM
I was thinking about this today. You've been posting some great articles!

Thanks--I am getting better at it.

Rael
08-05-2010, 06:41 AM
They still can't change their oil without us. We aren't as useless as they might think. ;)

MelissaWV
08-05-2010, 07:02 AM
They still can't change their oil without us. We aren't as useless as they might think. ;)

I can and do change my oil... and I've changed my brakes before, too.

Rael
08-05-2010, 07:16 AM
10 Cases Of Natural Gender Inequality

http://listverse.com/2010/08/02/10-cases-of-natural-gender-inequality/

ChaosControl
08-05-2010, 07:16 AM
I hate feminism because of crap like this. And the blantant sexism from feminists types is so often ignored because moderate type thinkers are afraid of being labeled a sexist by these wack jobs and eventually by the media.

Until people are willing to fight against this insane 'movement', it'll only get worse. Most of the social ills of society, the decline of the family unit, legalization of abortion, expansion of government, etc. are the cause of this. Feminism stopped being about equal rights in the 70s.

Elwar
08-05-2010, 07:33 AM

My wife changes the oil in our trucks.

She drives the truck to the Toyota dealer and waits while they change it...

Natalie
08-05-2010, 07:40 AM

Haha.

I would never change the oil of a car. I would never change the tire of my car either. My dad taught me how to do it, but that's what I have AAA and a boyfriend for. I live in a big city, so it's not like I'm going to be stranded in the middle of nowhere any time soon.

MelissaWV
08-05-2010, 07:43 AM
I hate feminism because of crap like this. And the blantant sexism from feminists types is so often ignored because moderate type thinkers are afraid of being labeled a sexist by these wack jobs and eventually by the media.

Until people are willing to fight against this insane 'movement', it'll only get worse. Most of the social ills of society, the decline of the family unit, legalization of abortion, expansion of government, etc. are the cause of this. Feminism stopped being about equal rights in the 70s.

"Rights" groups all go through these phases. They arise out of a real situation where there's inequality, under the erroneous premise that the Government can fix it. Then, once a maze of laws has been put into effect, the group needs to justify itself and continues going after more and more of the pie.

It's really, really sad. When I first read through the article, I thought about the "single mother" issue, playing Devil's Advocate: It's true that there are a lot more single mothers now, but it's a warped extension of what used to exist. The man is the breadwinner, the woman is the homemaker, therefore why shouldn't courts enforce it just that way? For that matter, these women didn't get single by themselves!

Not a chance. The men used to be breadwinners and the women used to stay at home, but the men also came home and parented, and went on vacations with an entire family. The women took care of the men when they got home, too, in most cases, with dinner on the table and fewer complaints. There were deviations, but that was the more common arrangement. Now the men must win their own living, ship money to women and children they see far less, and that woman is likely to be working as well (and spending part of her leisure time looking for someone new). Is that her right? Sure, but isn't it perverse that her ex has to finance things?

Women certainly became single MOTHERS with the help of Government. Men still get custody a very small percentage of the time. Add to that the fact that some women don't know who fathered the child in question, which is attributable in very large part to the mother's own behavior (obviously in cases of rape or whatnot, it's not her fault, but how many children are fathered via anonymous rape and then raised by the mother?).

Rael
08-05-2010, 08:05 AM
Haha.

I would never change the oil of a car. I would never change the tire of my car either. My dad taught me how to do it, but that's what I have AAA and a boyfriend for. I live in a big city, so it's not like I'm going to be stranded in the middle of nowhere any time soon.

It depends on the vehicle. I can change mine in 10 minutes without even jacking the car up. Some vehicles are a real pain and it's worth it to pay Jiffy Lube or some place to do it.

jfriedman
08-05-2010, 08:26 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_XDLnpGlOHFU/TFJd2sAJN5I/AAAAAAAAF1Q/DR8UBfRIdTU/s1600/Schlafly.JPG

http://theothermccain.com/2010/07/30/when-phyllis-schlafly-speaks-the-truth-democrats-call-it-extremism/

RM918
08-05-2010, 09:01 AM
The moment I see feminists fighting for gender quotas for sewer workers is the day their gender egalitarian dream finally comes true. I'm happy that it's not very likely to do so.

Pericles
08-05-2010, 09:13 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_XDLnpGlOHFU/TFJd2sAJN5I/AAAAAAAAF1Q/DR8UBfRIdTU/s1600/Schlafly.JPG

http://theothermccain.com/2010/07/30/when-phyllis-schlafly-speaks-the-truth-democrats-call-it-extremism/ (http://theothermccain.com/2010/07/30/when-phyllis-schlafly-speaks-the-truth-democrats-call-it-extremism/)

Very enlightening

MelissaWV
08-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Divorced people were not polled, or are they lumped in with someone else?

Imaginos
08-05-2010, 09:42 AM
I can't speak for other states but at least in California, the gender related laws/policies (both of written and unwritten) are more in favor of women.
Many educated men with money in California are avoiding engagement or marriage for that reason.

MelissaWV
08-05-2010, 09:47 AM
I can't speak for other states but at least in California, the gender related laws/policies (both of written and unwritten) are more in favor of women.
Many educated men with money in California are avoiding engagement or marriage for that reason.

And don't forget fatherhood.

Women who don't want to have kids are looked at funny. Men who want to have kids (and raise them) are looked at funny.

It's a strange world we live in.

Imaginos
08-05-2010, 09:59 AM
And don't forget fatherhood.

Women who don't want to have kids are looked at funny. Men who want to have kids (and raise them) are looked at funny.

It's a strange world we live in.
Yes, that's kinda strange.
I never understood the negative attitude of many people toward Women who don't want kids.
The same goes for the single fatherhood.
Each individual was born to pursuit happiness/ goal/ ideal/ whatever he or she wants to pursue.
If having kids is on some individual's must to pursue list, that's great.
I am happy for him/her.
However, an individual does not have any obligation to have kid to make people/family/society/church/etc. feel more comfortable.
An individual owns his or her genital, not society.