PDA

View Full Version : Federal cop shoots, kills dog at dog park.

Anti Federalist
08-04-2010, 09:07 PM
A mundane, or a mundane's dog, makes no difference, move along, nothing to see here folks...

Federal police officer shot dog in Arundel park
Anne Arundel authorities say man killed husky after dogs fought in park

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/anne-arundel/bs-md-ar-dog-fight-shooting-20100803,0,7786058.story

http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2010-08/55346813.jpg

Stunned dog owners and residents of a Severn neighborhood are shocked that authorities won't be charging a federal police officer who shot and killed a Siberian husky Monday night at a community dog park.

Bear-Bear, a brown and white husky that was about 3 years old, was playing in the Quail Run dog park at about 6:30 p.m., running off leash inside the fenced-in area, when the officer and his wife arrived with a German shepherd, who was kept on a leash. When the dogs began to play roughly, the federal officer asked Bear-Bear's guardian, his owner's brother, to call off the dog. But before he could do anything, the officer pulled out a gun and shot Bear-Bear, according to the husky's owner.

Bear-Bear, who belongs to Rachel Rettaliata, died of his injuries a few hours later. County police did not name the federal officer.

"I've been bawling my eyes out since 7 p.m. last night," Rettaliata said. "It's grief mixed with anger. We're so angry this guy was able to take our animal for what we feel was no reason at all.

"We still don't believe that he's gone. We just want so badly to be diligent about this. [The officer] has to pay some sort of consequence for his foolishness."

A spokesman for the Anne Arundel County Police Department said no charges will be filed and investigators found no evidence of criminal activity.

Rettaliata adopted Bear-Bear about two years ago from a husky rescue. He'd been seized from a Delaware home where people had tied him up outside, largely leaving him to fend for himself in the elements.

Tiffany Greco, who fostered the young Bear-Bear and placed him with the Rettaliata family, said the husky had led a hard-knock life, starved and neglected, with mats in his long fur the size of softballs. But even though he was mistreated, she said he never became aggressive around people or dogs.

"He was a very lovey-dovey, happy-go-lucky guy," Greco said, adding that Bear-Bear at least had a taste of a good life with the Rettaliatas. "All this dog wanted to do was curl up on top of you."

She said that huskies have a rough way of playing that, to people who don't know them, can seem intimidating.

"They have a much different play style than other dogs," she said. "They're a rough-and-tumble breed. They're mouthy. Often people interpret that as being aggressive when it's really them just playing."

In the Quail Run community of townhomes, a number of residents have dogs that they walk to the community dog park. Neighbors say the park is generally an easygoing place where well-mannered dogs play with one another.

Bear-Bear was a regular there.

Tarnna Hernandez saw Bear-Bear all the time. She lives two doors down from the Rettaliatas and Bear-Bear plays with her children and Marshmallow, her year-and-a-half-old Dalmatian/Australian shepherd mix.

"I've never personally seen him be aggressive toward any dog or human or anything, for that matter," Hernandez said. "My two very young children love Bear-Bear and would attack him every time they saw him with hugs and love."

She can't believe Bear-Bear would ever do anything to deserve being shot.

"I have not seen that dog hurt anyone. Or snarl. He's never even barked," she said. "His only way was to get out a gun out and shoot him? Uh-uh. It's completely unbelievable."

Dorothy Pearce, the homeowner's association manager, was appalled that someone would fire a gun in the community dog park — at dinnertime.

"This is tragic," she said. "A community of homeowners with children playing around should not have gun-crazy, off-duty policemen shooting in their area, especially a dog in a controllable situation."

Rettaliata said that after the officer shot Bear-Bear, the dog didn't yelp or cry, just lay down in the grass, bleeding heavily. "He just went and laid down," she said. "I just can't get over it and I don't think it's being taken seriously because it was an animal involved."

Carolyn Kilborn, chairwoman of the organization Maryland Votes for Animals, based in nearby Annapolis, thought the authorities should be investigating the case thoroughly.

"The killing of the dog in Severn is a sad situation that should be investigated carefully to determine if the incident was caused by a dangerous dog or a dangerous person," she said.

michaelwise
08-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Why do they hate our dogs so much? I can't figure it out.

pcosmar
08-04-2010, 09:14 PM

Cuz, Dogs Know.

BuddyRey
08-04-2010, 09:32 PM

Because dogs give their loyalty and respect only to those who reciprocate it, not just to the first guy who comes along waving a badge and a gun in front of them.

Dr.3D
08-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Cuz, Dogs Know.

Yeah, they don't need the glasses.
http://wzuy1.ask.com/r?t=p&d=synus&s=cnt&c=v81&l=dir&o=0&sv=0a5c4304&ip=40559a94&id=BF64CF93CA93583235734DA36695024A&q=they+live&p=1&qs=121&ac=24&g=6b0e9gSlRAqoIX&en=pi&io=1&b=img&tp=d&ec=16&pt=&ex=&url=&u=http://www.infowars.com/images2/cartoons/they_live.jpg

Kylie
08-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Cuz, Dogs Know.

Werd, my brotha.

pcosmar
08-04-2010, 09:38 PM
SARAH:'I was dreaming about dogs.'
REESE:'We used them to spot Terminators.'

from Terminator

michaelwise
08-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Cuz, Dogs Know.I had a black lab for 13 years and I can attest, you are correct sir.

jclay2
08-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Imagine if the situation was reversed!I bet the other owner would be dead right now.

james1906
08-04-2010, 09:56 PM
I volunteer with a dog rescue and I take both my dogs and my foster dogs to the local dog park regularly.

It's amazing how stupid people are. This cop is no exception. One of the big rules at a dog park is that you do not keep your dog on a leash. The other dogs will see this and act upon it. The other dogs know that the leashed dog cannot run and is in a state of submission.

Dogs scuffle. It happens. They rarely have death or serious injury on their minds. Just like when humans would use to fist fight, a couple of blows and you move on. If your dog is aggressive, then the dog needs to be taken home. It happens It's what dogs do.

I'm just going to stop typing, this is fucking pissing me off.

michaelwise
08-04-2010, 10:01 PM
My dog Sage would bring me my shoes when I asked her. I sad, bring me my shoes. She would run in the bedroom and bring me one. I said, bring me my other shoe and she would go get the other one. Then we would go for a walk. She knew all the names of her stuff too.

Kregisen
08-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Obviously since we don't have video there's nothing to go on....

The story sounds biased our direction but maybe it really did attack the other dog and maybe, somehow, someway there was a rational reason for shooting it.

I don't know.

james1906
08-04-2010, 10:03 PM

The story sounds biased our direction but maybe it really did attack the other dog and maybe, somehow, someway there was a rational reason for shooting it.

I don't know.

A husky and a GSD were in this. This wasn't a bichon getting torn up.

pcosmar
08-04-2010, 10:11 PM

I don't know.

I am a small man. Scrawny by appearance. I have handled Huskies,Rotts, Dobies Pits and Shepherds , and have stepped in and broken up scuffles.
I never needed a gun to do it. And never got bit either.
Currently have a Rott-n-Lab as part of our menagerie. In a house full of critters.

This was just another asshole with a bad attitude and a gun.

michaelwise
08-04-2010, 10:19 PM
My dog was always off leash when I walked her. She would wait at the corner till I got there to say it was OK to cross the street. She would heel, stay, and come when I called her. I always had a leash with me. The state statutes on dogs were, your dog had to be under your control at all times, except in public parks, on a leash of no more than 6 feet in length. The animal control officers gave me dozens of citations for not having here on a leash on the sidewalks. I beat the borough solicitor, complaining woman, and animal control officer in county court on those citations every time, and I represented myself.

If a cop had ever shot my dog, I would have mad it my mission to one day shoot that cop dead. I don't care how many children he had.

daviddee
08-04-2010, 10:28 PM

pcosmar
08-04-2010, 10:30 PM
I miss the Schooner Wharf in Key West, It was a dog friendly place. There were regularly a bunch running around the place. No leashes, no fights. Pits, Poodles, Labs and mutts.
A nice place to have a beer.

YouTube - ‪Michael McCloud singing Schooner Wharf Bar Dog‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV3DJd7l12M)

cindy25
08-04-2010, 10:30 PM
they do it bcuz they get away with it. cops were not like this 20-30 years ago.

daviddee
08-04-2010, 10:32 PM

Anti Federalist
08-04-2010, 10:33 PM
I miss the Schooner Wharf in Key West, It was a dog friendly place. There were regularly a bunch running around the place. No leashes, no fights. Pits, Poodles, Labs and mutts.
A nice place to have a beer.

There was a place just like that on the Gulf side of Big Pine.

Same kind of open air, all are welcome type place, right on the water in a grove of, of course, pines.

Can't for the life of me recall the name of the place.

Anti Federalist
08-04-2010, 10:35 PM
I wonder if the dog owner would have been charged for shooting the crazed man with the gun who was killing the dog?

Of course.

A mundane is not allowed to resist.

A mundane's job is to submit, always, under any conditions, quickly and respectfully.

daviddee
08-04-2010, 10:35 PM

daviddee
08-04-2010, 10:37 PM

cindy25
08-04-2010, 10:41 PM
With so many cops killing dogs I think a reasonable website could be built that would take verified submissions (news articles, youtube, etc.)

good idea, but don't limit to police killing of dogs; include anyone killing dogs.
and also include a section for the good guys, the police and firemen who rescue animals.

pcosmar
08-04-2010, 10:44 PM
There was a place just like that on the Gulf side of Big Pine.

Same kind of open air, all are welcome type place, right on the water in a grove of, of course, pines.

Can't for the life of me recall the name of the place.

No Name pub
http://www.nonamepub.com/

Philhelm
08-04-2010, 10:47 PM
The police hate us for our freedoms.

Anti Federalist
08-04-2010, 10:50 PM
No Name pub
http://www.nonamepub.com/

The explains why couldn't remember the name, thanks, that takes me back.

The police hate us for our freedoms.

I'd laugh, under other circumstances. ;)

GunnyFreedom
08-04-2010, 10:54 PM
I want to comment but I am too angry. :mad:

Philhelm
08-04-2010, 10:59 PM
I'd laugh, under other circumstances. ;)

My hatred for our enslavement has gone beyond rage, and has entered into hysterics. Gnashing my teeth at this point can do nothing. In fact, I don't know why I read these types of posts, since I already know the score.

In any case, other than the obvious joke embedded in my previous comment, it's actually quite literally true. When a mundane gets uppity about the Constitution and rights, it sends the police into a rage. So, in some ways, they really do hate us for our freedoms (or illusion of freedom, rather).

michaelwise
08-04-2010, 11:00 PM
It might be best to take out the kids also... They have been raised by a dog killing cop... probably miserably broken.We don't involve family members in the bad decisions of the perpertrators.

daviddee
08-04-2010, 11:02 PM

Rael
08-05-2010, 01:33 AM
It's too bad more cops don't get shot over this kind of behavior. They should be more scared of us than us of them.

devil21
08-05-2010, 01:53 AM
I'd kill another dog to defend my dog if I felt she was in danger. I'm going to have to refuse to pass judgment on this episode without having been there. The biggest difference here is that cops tend to carry their guns off duty while few citizens carry one at all. Any other person would have probably ended up in the middle of a dog fight, hoping their dog survives the encounter.

This is the biggest drawback to dog parks. Owners let their dogs go then start socializing or whatever and stop paying attention to their animals. A husky vs a GSD would be one knock down drag out brawl. Sad story.

johngr
08-05-2010, 03:13 AM
They should have police police whose only jurisdiction is over law enforcement and a separate justice system for them. It should require a masters degree.

Mach
08-05-2010, 03:45 AM
It's true, dogs can "feel" people.

Mans best friend..... and no questions asked.

They were the best hiking buddies I've could of ever had.

Too bad there wasn't another cop there to take care of this madman that pulled out a gun and started shooting it all over the place putting peoples lives in danger.

j6p
08-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Yep, hopefully the owner will sue

newbitech
08-05-2010, 07:56 AM
not a life or death situation. No reason to use deadly force. Luckily it was "only" someones dog who died and not a person, tho I hardly believe that the results of the "investigation" would have been any different if it was a person.

Very sad for the owner of the rescued husky. I think the cop deserves some ostracization from the community, which sounds like is already starting.

Mike4Freedom
08-05-2010, 08:14 AM
I don't know what I would do if this happened to my dog at a dog park. I might pull my gun out the second he pulled his out and fire a few rounds into him thinking I was going to get shot.

Drawing a gun out is an aggresive act and I would be justified. I can pull that little sub compact out quickly if I need to.

Hallamaat
08-05-2010, 08:56 AM
After the pouring of public outrage over this and a little intervention from a county executive, they're going to investigate (http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/features/mutts/blog/2010/08/the_latest_on_the_bearbear_sho.html) this after all. I'm sure it'll be another case of "nothing to find here, move along" after their BS investigation, but it's good to see the public reacting to this accordingly.

The county's top cop called the matter "a priority" Wednesday, and County Executive John R. Leopold says he was "outraged" and "deeply troubled" to learn about the shooting. Leopold says he contacted Chief of Police James Teare on Wednesday morning and demanded an investigation.

"This investigation is far from complete," Teare said Wednesday afternoon. "The Police Department takes this very seriously and will continue to investigate all aspects of the case."

The bolded part of this almost had me on the floor. I thought that the investigation was originally considered 'complete' when your band of shitheads already did their so-called investigation and found no evidence of criminal activity? And boy, did they take this seriously from the get-go, eh?

A spokesman for the Anne Arundel County Police Department said no charges will be filed and investigators found no evidence of criminal activity.

Welp, so much for that. Time to blame the evil internet for your woes in your next statement.

As much as I'd love to adopt a dog someday, I certainly won't be doing so if/when I ever move back to the US so long as LEO's are on the loose. I'll just stick with my spoiled house cat who hauls ass and hides under the bed when he hears new people coming into the apartment.

Pericles
08-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Of course.

A mundane is not allowed to resist.

A mundane's job is to submit, always, under any conditions, quickly and respectfully.

Q: How did that guy end up dead?

A: He shot my dog.

Q: Did you know he was a Federal Special Agent?

A: He never mentioned it to me.

Q: Do you know what we are going to charge you with?

A: It better be good, because under Texas law, I have the right to defend my property, and an armed assailant required me to use deadly force.

freshjiva
08-05-2010, 10:01 AM
This incident enrages me. That's an understatement.

Aggression really doesn't occur in dog parks, mainly because all the regulars are very well socialized. Dogs, when socialized, love to play and mix with both people and other dogs. What could be construed as aggressive behavior might really just be the dog's way of getting into a competitive spirit. Even so, it by no means warrants the use of a firearm.

Some people are just very ignorant of dogs. This cop was probably one of them.

Unfortunately, the cop will probably just get a slap on the wrist. I hope this case makes its way to PETA.