PDA

View Full Version : What Are The Best Places in the US to Ride Out the Economic Collapse?

michaelwise
08-04-2010, 07:42 PM
I live in Cape Coral Florida and feel this is a well protected area from the marauding hoards once the economic collapse lays the country to waste. The 2nd largest city in Florida by land mass with only 150,000 people, we are protected on 3 sides by water. There are few ways in and out of the peninsula and the 3 bridges can be well guarded in the event of an emergency. Fishing for food is always an option should supplies be cut off. For now there is plenty of empty real estate at cheep prices. Don't count on jobs here, but in a Wiemar Republic, that subject is moot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Coral,_Florida

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Cape_coral_fort_myers-RightSideUp.jpg

You will not want to be living anywhere near a major city once the major part of the collapse gets underway. Where else in the country do you feel will be a fairly safe place to ride out the complete and total economic collapse?

James Madison
08-04-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm looking to move to rural Texas maybe 30-45 minutes outside of Austin. The weather there should allow me to grow pretty much anything I'll need, and hopefully the local ranchers can provide enough meat and dairy products to survive on.

thehunter
08-04-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm looking to move to rural Texas maybe 30-45 minutes outside of Austin. The weather there should allow me to grow pretty much anything I'll need, and hopefully the local ranchers can provide enough meat and dairy products to survive on.

Forgive my ignorance, but is their sufficient water there?

michaelwise
08-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but is their sufficient water there?I have plenty of well water. I pay nothing for it. We also have the #1 pool hall in the country, Diamonds Billiards.

James Madison
08-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but is their sufficient water there?

There should be more than sufficient water. Unlike western Texas, central and eastern Texas receive a fair amount of rainfall. I believe Austin gets about 30ish inches of rain a year.

pcosmar
08-04-2010, 08:25 PM
A farm.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2431/3562323129_43ecb2001d_z.jpg?zz=1

speciallyblend
08-04-2010, 08:30 PM
colorado mtns, plenty of fresh water supply. natural fridge in the ground and moderate temps but you will need a few greenhouses to extend your growing season!! plus high ground!!

TheBlackPeterSchiff
08-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Alaska

TheeJoeGlass
08-04-2010, 08:35 PM
colorado mtns, plenty of fresh water supply. natural fridge in the ground and moderate temps but you will need a few greenhouses to extend your growing season!! plus high ground!!

Ya, but you're to close to Yellowstone and that Super Volcano is going to erupt any minute now. :rolleyes:

LibertyVox
08-04-2010, 08:39 PM
This just reminded that.......
I have a recurring sick fucking fantasy of a Zombie Apocalypse......
And I have constantly planned how to survive it.
God I'm still in love with Jill Valentine.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4hlmSkFCvQ8/Sm8WwWH9aXI/AAAAAAAAAHQ/N8f1V0iNixs/s400/jill+valentine.jpeg

speciallyblend
08-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Ya, but you're to close to Yellowstone and that Super Volcano is going to erupt any minute now. :rolleyes:

well if yellowstone erupts. i highly doubt it will matter where you are;) but i hear ya:) i will just jump into a colorado hot springs;) and see if i boil:)

REDNECK WOMAN
08-04-2010, 08:56 PM
In an old bear cave in W.V with my 4 wheeler.

michaelwise
08-04-2010, 09:09 PM
In an old bear cave in W.V with my 4 wheeler.I'm there. Oh wait, I thought you said "beer'.

messana
08-04-2010, 10:22 PM
New Hampshire probably.

Mahkato
08-04-2010, 10:40 PM
If things get dangerous, try for a naturally-defensible town of 4,000 to 6,000 people, at least 50 miles from any other similar or larger towns or 75 miles from any city.

michaelwise
08-05-2010, 12:47 PM
I was thinking the middle of Oklahoma would be a good place. The population of the entire state is only about 15 million.

LibertyVox
08-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Too much Jericho going on.

BuddyRey
08-05-2010, 02:22 PM
The outer banks of NC seem just cut off enough from the Feds. Then again, the Big Horn range out west would be a great place to hide too. And only 550,000 people live in the entire state of Wyoming...If that dadgum Yellowstone Supervolcano doesn't destroy it all, that is. ;):D

Old Ducker
08-05-2010, 02:37 PM
There are places here in Oregon. SW Oregon has been home to off grid survivalists for at least 40 years. There are pockets of good farmland in remote places in many areas including the mountains or if you really want to get away from it all, in the SE corner of the state. I think central Idaho is a good place too...good farmland, plenty of water and a decent growing season.

I know of a tiny valley up in the Cascades that contains an abandoned gold mine. The only road in has a bridge that spans a 100' deep chasm. Of course Im not the only one who is aware of this place and it couldnt support more than a few dozen ppl, at most.

TonySutton
08-05-2010, 02:47 PM
The important thing is to get away from population centers. If you currently live near a population center you need an escape route and a place to go. Make sure you store enough gas to get you to your destination.

Best destinations are isolated areas which will support sustainable living and are defensible. It is also best to have a handful of like minded people who can work together for food, water, shelter, clothing and defense.

Off a dirt road is your best bet.

michaelwise
08-05-2010, 07:37 PM
I do expect a collapse of government for a time, and the continuity of government plan will be of no use either. I expect the barter system will be of great value in those days.