PDA

View Full Version : THE Ron Paul Poll - Take it!!

dannno
08-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Did you find out about Ron Paul from a friend, family member, a sign, bumper sticker, acquaintance or from something somebody said on the internet (such as a comment in an article or such)

OR

Did you find out about Ron Paul watching the debates, the news, blog or some how find out about him doing your own research :confused:

FrankRep
08-04-2010, 11:54 AM
voted.

dannno
08-04-2010, 11:56 AM
voted.

Did not.

Seraphim
08-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Youtube.

I'm Canadian though.

FrankRep
08-04-2010, 11:58 AM
I first heard about Ron Paul on Digg.com. I was researching Investing/Financial stuff.

dannno
08-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Youtube.

I'm Canadian though.

Dammit.. this poll may be flawed.

I want to say youtube is going to be "doing your own research" however it is also a non-professional source.. It kind of depends on whether somebody sent you the youtube link, or whether you were actively searching youtube for political stuff.

The idea is to find out how many people found out about him on their own, versus those who were introduced to him by someone else, even if they are a random person on the internet who is a non-professional journalist..

GunnyFreedom
08-04-2010, 12:00 PM
neither/both?

Someone in a SHTF forum loosely associated with Appleseed listened to what I stood for and in February-March ish 2007 suggested that I look into a fella from Texas name of Ron Paul, since he was saying the exact thing I was saying. I did a massive ton of research and by June-July ish I was all in. The only major point he had that I didn't was the Federal Reserve. On account of my encountering Ron Paul, I now also oppose the Fed, and I am closer to pro-life than pro-choice where prior to my encountering Ron Paul I was closer to pro-choice than pro-life.

givemeliberty
08-04-2010, 12:04 PM
I found out about him in 2006 from an essay he wrote that was posted to lewrockewell.com then reposted to another forum. Been on the liberty train ever since. I'm trying to raise triplet boys so I haven't been nearly as active as I'd like to be. That is going to change this time around, the stakes are too high and the trips are old enough to get by without so much attention. 2012 here we come!

dannno
08-04-2010, 12:07 PM
neither/both?

Someone in a SHTF forum loosely associated with Appleseed listened to what I stood for and in February-March ish 2007 suggested that I look into a fella from Texas name of Ron Paul, since he was saying the exact thing I was saying. I did a massive ton of research and by June-July ish I was all in. The only major point he had that I didn't was the Federal Reserve. On account of my encountering Ron Paul, I now also oppose the Fed, and I am closer to pro-life than pro-choice where prior to my encountering Ron Paul I was closer to pro-choice than pro-life.

This is an option #2, you were introduced by someone else.. even if it isn't somebody you knew, they introduced him to you and they are not a professional journalist.

Unfortunately I think the results are going to be flawed.. Maybe I'll try this again some other time if I can think of better wording for the poll.

I'd like to see more #2s, because I know a LOT of Ron Paul supporters go out of their way to introduce him to others, I would hope a lot of people in the movement were introduced to him by someone else.

specsaregood
08-04-2010, 12:08 PM
I know the exact time and date that I learned of Dr. Paul from a friend. Thanks to instant messenger log files:

Fri Feb 16 2007
[09:48] me: who do you like in the next election? any of them?
[09:48] afriend: indeed
[09:48] afriend: Ron Paul
[09:49] afriend: Ron Paul is awake to the truth and to seeking it out and has a very solid history of it
[09:49] me: 3rd party?
insert 6 hours me taking off work and reading all of ron paul's columns...
[14:04] me: ron paul does sound like the man
[14:05] afriend: he is quite the man

Funny enough, neither of us were living in the US at the time. :)

sevin
08-04-2010, 12:11 PM
I saw a sign that said, "Who is Ron Paul?" and googled his name.

someperson
08-04-2010, 12:11 PM
aravoth's videos :)

djdellisanti4
08-04-2010, 12:20 PM
A friend gave me the Revolution and things took off from there.

Brian Defferding
08-04-2010, 12:23 PM
I've been a long-time card-carrying member of the Libertarian Party, and his name has been consistently brought up in Libertarian-related news (for obvious reasons). When I found out he was running for President, I geeked out.

ChaosControl
08-04-2010, 01:17 PM
I don't remember. I just remember it must of been early 07 or late 06.
Probably something I read on a message board.

JacksonianBME
08-04-2010, 01:36 PM
I was totally apathetic during almost the entire 2008 campaign. I was mired in school work and didn't care who won. My apathy started to wear off when I watched the bank bailouts and GM bailout. So I started researching and hanging about political forums. Then on one of them that was actually a part of a sports message board someone posted the video of hillary clinton praising ron paul about how enthusiastic his supporters were. I watched the video and was surprised since he was an R and it was a D (didn't understand the false left vs. right at that time) and researched who he was. As you all know, once you go down that rabbit hole you don't go back.

dannno
08-04-2010, 01:42 PM
I was totally apathetic during almost the entire 2008 campaign. I was mired in school work and didn't care who won. My apathy started to wear off when I watched the bank bailouts and GM bailout. So I started researching and hanging about political forums. Then on one of them that was actually a part of a sports message board someone posted the video of hillary clinton praising ron paul about how enthusiastic his supporters were. I watched the video and was surprised since he was an R and it was a D (didn't understand the false left vs. right at that time) and researched who he was. As you all know, once you go down that rabbit hole you don't go back.

Wow, i remember that video, pretty random!!

Rocco
08-04-2010, 01:54 PM
I learned of him through message boards and signs on trucks and such. At first i thought he was a cook, brainwashed neocon i was, and deccided that while i agreed with him economically that his crusade against Iraq was a threat to the country. That all changed when i learned my history and realized how many empires ended because of the need to create standing armies, and how unnecessary the vast majority of our wars have been. From that point I did more research and I was hooked.

Kludge
08-04-2010, 01:56 PM
I was reading/researching Ayn Rand for a school report, read up on Objectivism, then libertarianism, then incidentally discovered Ron Paul. Didn't support Ron Paul until after a short argument on his viability via Youtube. I was misled, but I have no regrets.

newbitech
08-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Aaron Russo, Freedom to Fascism interview with Ron Paul.

Whole Video America: Freedom to Fascism - Director's Authorized Version (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1656880303867390173#)

Ron Paul Interview YouTube - Aaron Russo talks with Ron Paul (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaUhGpBNBtk)

tropicangela
08-04-2010, 02:43 PM
i learned about ron paul on a mom's message board... a username "vbacmama" had a ron paul banner in her siggy. i did some research and the rest is history <3 (vbac=vaginal birth after cesarean)

youngbuck
08-04-2010, 02:43 PM
I found out about him from one of Alex Jones' older documentaries.

charrob
08-04-2010, 02:54 PM
first time i saw his name was on a highway overpass. -that was very intriguing.
second time i saw his name was when a guy was holding a Ron Paul sign on the side of the highway. -that intrigued me more.
the night of the republican debate i hadn't planned on watching it, but then thought about the overpass and the guy on the side of the road so decided to watch. -that clinched it for me.

farrar
08-04-2010, 03:24 PM
I first heard of him when I used to be a member of a bitorrent site about 3 years ago. :P
There was a political section in their forum. Ron Paul has alot of pirate fans ironically. Anyways... I never really looked into him, had virtually no opinion of him, and completely forgot about him until 6 months ago when I was researching to find a libertarian mined principled politician. I was hoping there would atleast be a state legislator somewhere, and was I suprised when I saw a US house rep: Ron Paul. I never really stoped researching him, almost everyday I check the news on the guy, read a few articles, maybe get in a TV program of interview... I'm still 6 months later undergoing the same research project. Lol.

Its a really refreshing thing when you think that everything you believe in is a lost cause, and then you find Rob Paul.

libertybrewcity
08-04-2010, 03:33 PM
I learned his name from the thousands of comments RP supporters put all over the web. Finally, I looked him up and watched the youtubes. They are pure inspiration.

Sentient Void
08-04-2010, 03:49 PM
A stripper friend told me about him back in Jan 2008. lol

Of course, right?

speciallyblend
08-04-2010, 03:58 PM
I voted first option! I also want to thank Harry Browne(r.i.p.)!!! If it wasn't for Harry Browne, i would of tuned out Ron Paul as another corrupt republican! The more i listened to Ron Paul. I was like WOW!!!!! the GOP better understand a miracle happened when i joined the GOP!

If the GOP wants to ignore miracles. Then they do so at their own peril!! Ron Paul 2012!!

found RPF thru a google search of Ron Paul as i investigated more! Then sent my money to a politician for the first time in written history;) Liberty Candidates 2010, Ron Paul 2012, The Line in the Sand has been Drawn!

BetaMale
08-04-2010, 04:02 PM
My brother was reading Revolution when I visited him in Hawaii. My world has not been the same since!