PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon blocks Rolling Stone reporter from embed

LibertyVox
08-04-2010, 11:02 AM
http://newsfeedresearcher.com/data/articles_n32/hastings-mcchrystal-embeds.html

''There is no right to embed,''' Lapan said. '''It is a choice made between units and individual reporters, and a key element of an embed is having trust that the individuals are going to abide by the ground rules. In that instance the command in Afghanistan decided there wasn'''t the trust requisite and denied this request.''' Now, the military could have maybe kinda sorta sought out Hastings to show they could let bygones be bygones, as well as to do some pushback against the WikiLeaks crowd by inviting a real, live reporter with a camera and junk out there. Or not. [4]

"A key element of an embed is having trust that the individuals are going to abide by the ground rules. The command in Afghanistan decided there wasn't the trust requisite and denied this request." Some officials have charged that reporter Michael Hastings failed to follow ground rules when they claim he printed "off the record" comments in which McChrystal viciously criticized Obama administration officials on the war.

specsaregood
08-04-2010, 11:04 AM
That's a shame. I enjoyed "Generation Kill" which was written by an embedded rolling stone reporter.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0995832/'

It could use a season 2.

LibertyVox
08-04-2010, 11:11 AM
The term "embedded hournalists" may have entered popular lingo in recent times, but in truth is an old ruse for state propaganda.

Thanks for the Gen Kill reference specs.

EDIT:
specs, I meant I agree Rolling Stone has marketed its popular niche as an anti-establishment publication, hence their flavor of journalism or the op/ed story they would publish wouldn't exactly be the spoon fed, "follow-the-guidelines", screened journalism that has become typical of the embedded journalists. Embedded journalism isn't exactly the war footage of Vietnam. It has more oftne then not played the role of accompanying bugles and drums for the war machine. Allowing RS journolists' well known cynicism after a pice like GENKILL would be like allowing some one from Free Speech TV or Aljazeera English to actually cover the war from the front lines.

This is a war fought by the first playstation generation. As Rolling Stones journalist Evan Wright explains: "One thing about them is they kill very well in Iraq."

oyarde
08-04-2010, 01:16 PM
I see no reason that any commander in the field would approve of an imbedded journalist.I see nothing to be gained for the soldiers , but the risk is there that something negative may come from it.