PDA

View Full Version : WHEN do they start spending the money?

Sematary
10-16-2007, 12:20 AM
Looking over the list on this page:
http://query.nictusa.com/pres/2007/Q3/C00432914.html

You can see that the campaign has spent NOTHING on primary expenditures. NOTHING! Am I missing something here? Shouldn't they spend SOMETHING? Especially in the early primary states?

Hook
10-16-2007, 12:22 AM

You can see that the campaign has spent NOTHING on primary expenditures. NOTHING! Am I missing something here? Shouldn't they spend SOMETHING? Especially in the early primary states?

They spent $430,000 on radio ads. That is almost 10% right there.

Corydoras
10-16-2007, 12:22 AM
http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=25433
They just spent $430k.
???

Suzu
10-16-2007, 12:23 AM
I'd hardly call $400+k for *one* radio ad in *one* state "nothing"....

Cunningham
10-16-2007, 12:44 AM
I'm guessing that they're looking at all the money the other guys have spent yet the undecided numbers haven't changed much. Now they got a chunk of change and some free media coverage for the 3Q numbers. I'd expect a Blitzkrieg media strike starting now but really ramping up in November and December.

OptionsTrader
10-16-2007, 12:55 AM
The state of affairs in big spending blitzes is that in this short-term memory society, a month is a year, and to waste millions now instead of spending the dollars closer to the primaries would be a horriffic miscalculation in my opinion given the free publicity and momentum he is enjoying.

Relax, Ron Paul knows what he is doing. To complain here about him being too frugal with VERY limited funds is pointless. He lost in 1988 and I seriously doubt he wants to lose again. He knows more than any of us what is at stake.

LibertyEagle
10-16-2007, 01:33 AM
I'd hardly call $400+k for *one* radio ad in *one* state "nothing"....

4 states.

richard1984
10-16-2007, 01:35 AM
The state of affairs in big spending blitzes is that in this short-term memory society, a month is a year, and to waste millions now instead of spending the dollars closer to the primaries would be a horriffic miscalculation in my opinion given the free publicity and momentum he is enjoying.

Relax, Ron Paul knows what he is doing. To complain here about him being too frugal with VERY limited funds is pointless. He lost in 1988 and I seriously doubt he wants to lose again. He knows more than any of us what is at stake.

Another post that's right on the money. ;) :D

Malakai0
10-16-2007, 02:04 AM
Look at the candidates who are already almost out of money or in debt, and still not topping the big candidates like romney and ghouliani.

We need to stop trying to backseat drive the campaign =) Our job is to get Ron noticed by the public, get the message out, and money.

Ron Paul Fan
10-16-2007, 02:07 AM
Yep. We just hit 5% nationally and what have we spent? $430k of $5 million and those radio ads just came out! Romney is 5% ahead of us and what has he spent? Tens of millions of dollars and he has no where near the grassroots that we do. The money still be spent my friends. Let's trust the campaign and trust our candidate. They're not political newbies!

libertarian4321
10-16-2007, 03:12 AM

According to the page you referenced, the campaign has spent about $2.8 Million so far. Thats not "nothing."

AlexAmore
10-16-2007, 03:53 AM
My mom by just random luck turned on the radio in her car and heard a ron paul commercial. We also were told by another ron paul supporter that he heard a commercial recently as well. :D

stevedasbach
10-16-2007, 08:29 AM

I assume you are referring to the allocation by state page:

http://query.nictusa.com/pres/2007/Q3/C00432914.html#ALLOCATION

The campaign only has to fill out this page if they are filing for matching funds. Since the Paul campaign isn't filing for matching funds, they don't have to complete this section.

reduen
10-16-2007, 08:37 AM
Does anyone have a link to these radio ads anywhere?

reaver
10-16-2007, 08:39 AM
We had to hold onto the money to show we are not desperate. The MSM was trying to bankrupt Paul by forcing him to overspend on advertisement.

Hope
10-16-2007, 08:44 AM
Five million dollars is great, but that's nothing compared to the advertising power we have in our hands. If you aren't waving signs, knocking on doors or handing out literature at least once a week, you need to get busy!

me3
10-16-2007, 09:15 AM
Everyone needs to find 2 or 3 new Ron Paul voters. Everyone.

Friends
Family
Neighbors
Co-Workers
Fellow parishioners
Business associates

And they have to actually show up to primaries and vote! It's not enough to say they like Ron Paul if they won't campaign or vote for him. Get the people you know to commit to Ron Paul.

pennycat
10-16-2007, 09:51 AM
Yep. We just hit 5% nationally and what have we spent? $430k of $5 million and those radio ads just came out! Romney is 5% ahead of us and what has he spent? Tens of millions of dollars and he has no where near the grassroots that we do. The money still be spent my friends. Let's trust the campaign and trust our candidate. They're not political newbies!

With all due respect to our National campaign headquarters, I have to say I'm not impressed.

1). The much vaunted $430k radio buy highlighting of all things 'health care'?? Since when does RP have a chance of exciting interest in his stand on doctor bills.

2.) Florida is recovering from a major hit piece in the St. Petersburg Times. The reporter has responded to many letters of protest with, 'I contacted your national campaign headquarters when I was researching the article. They never responded.' Either the reporter is lying or our campaign headquarters dropped the ball.

3.) While the Meetup groups have put this campaign on the map, they receive little more than lip service from HQ. I'm inundated with email of 'support' and 'news' of the campaigns of Obama, Romney, etc. Yes, I'm on their email lists (know your enemy). And from the Ron Paul campaign? Umm, an email every once in a while that looks like it was written out of the yahoo mail client. Apparently HTML formatting is not considered professional enough for those that work in our HQ.

4.)While National Ron Paul HQ tries to figure out a winning strategy, their most valuable asset, namely the Meetup groups are left to fend for themselves. Lower the prices of campaign materials would help a great deal.

Sorry that the truth hurts, but this campaign will win in spite of itself, not because of any grand plan. Maybe that is as it should be. I just expected them to REALLY embrace the grassroots campaign that we've all longed for.

ItsTime
10-16-2007, 09:56 AM
Ask your state HQ for the slim jims and signs. If they dont have any go to a printer and get copies for 5 cents a piece.

Campaigning 101: State who you are first. Then go after the issues.

If one hit piece is going to lose FL the meet up groups have really dropped the ball.

With all due respect to our National campaign headquarters, I have to say I'm not impressed.

1). The much vaunted $430k radio buy highlighting of all things 'health care'?? Since when does RP have a chance of exciting interest in his stand on doctor bills.

2.) Florida is recovering from a major hit piece in the St. Petersburg Times. The reporter has responded to many letters of protest with, 'I contacted your national campaign headquarters when I was researching the article. They never responded.' Either the reporter is lying or our campaign headquarters dropped the ball.

3.) While the Meetup groups have put this campaign on the map, they receive little more than lip service from HQ. I'm inundated with email of 'support' and 'news' of the campaigns of Obama, Romney, etc. Yes, I'm on their email lists (know your enemy). And from the Ron Paul campaign? Umm, an email every once in a while that looks like it was written out of the yahoo mail client. Apparently HTML formatting is not considered professional enough for those that work in our HQ.

4.)While National Ron Paul HQ tries to figure out a winning strategy, their most valuable asset, namely the Meetup groups are left to fend for themselves. Lower the prices of campaign materials would help a great deal.

Sorry that the truth hurts, but this campaign will win in spite of itself, not because of any grand plan. Maybe that is as it should be. I just expected them to REALLY embrace the grassroots campaign that we've all longed for.

Matt Collins
10-16-2007, 09:59 AM
SEE THIS POST:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=25536

kylejack
10-16-2007, 10:09 AM

Buzzwords are important. Ron Paul can continue pointing out how things used to be, and how healthcare was affordable in the past. Regardless, healthcare is the most important issue of this election.

He should have called. HQ is getting bombarded with e-mail. Its unfortunate, but true. A good reporter knows to call. His factual inaccuracies prove he is a bad reporter.

I agree this needs to improve, though they have sent out a lot of free slimjims and signs. There was a co-ordinator lady who was trying to get that going, but she got fired (or quit?) so they're probably trying to re-establish the position.

The other problem is that they can't get too connected with the Meetup groups that are running ads and things, or the FEC will drop the hammer. Election law is ridiculous now.

kylejack
10-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Ask your state HQ for the slim jims and signs. If they dont have any go to a printer and get copies for 5 cents a piece.

Campaigning 101: State who you are first. Then go after the issues.

If one hit piece is going to lose FL the meet up groups have really dropped the ball.

Please note: VERY FEW STATES have a "state HQ". You can't just keep saying this, because most of us don't have one.