PDA

View Full Version : Springsteen, Willie, Dylan, Big&Rich at Philly rally?

terlinguatx
10-15-2007, 11:46 PM

surf
10-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Rich gave max to Fred

quickmike
10-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Rich gave max to Fred

Yeah most of those shit-kicker country guys are all about kickin ass for the red white & blue.

LizF
10-16-2007, 02:48 AM
While Bruce might lean Democrat (I really don't know), it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for him to support RP:

"(CBS) The music that emerged from his upbringing was a kind of blue collar ballad set to rock and roll, Elvis meets Dylan, uniquely Springsteen. Much of the new music is a protest. Some of it blunt, as in the song that asks "Who will be the last to die for a mistake," but most of it subtle, like "Long Walk Home," the story of a man who returns to his all-American small town but doesn’t recognize it anymore.

"What's on your mind? What are you writing about?" Pelley asks.

"I guess I would say that what I do is I try to chart the distance between American ideals and American reality. That's how my music is laid out. It's like we've reached a point where it seems that we're so intent on protecting ourselves that we're willing to destroy the best parts of ourselves to do so," Springsteen says.

Asked what he means, Springsteen tells Pelley, "Well, I think that we've seen things happen over the past six years that I don't think anybody ever thought they'd ever see in the United States. When people think of the American identity, they don't think of torture. They don't think of illegal wiretapping. They don't think of voter suppression. They don't think of no habeas corpus. No right to a lawyer … you know. Those are things that are anti-American."

"You know, I think this record is going to be seen as anti-war. And you know there are people watching this interview who are going to say to themselves, 'Bruce Springsteen is no patriot,'" Pelley remarks.

"Well, that's just the language of the day, you know? The modus operandi for anybody who doesn't like somebody, you know, criticizing where we've been or where we're goin'," Springsteen says. "It's unpatriotic at any given moment to sit back and let things pass that are damaging to some place that you love so dearly. And that has given me so much. And that I believe in, I still feel and see us as a beacon of hope and possibility." "

Link to full interview & video:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/04/60minutes/main3330463_page3.shtml

(FYI: Interview is 3 pages)

ctb619
10-16-2007, 02:50 AM
Yeah most of those shit-kicker country guys are all about kickin ass for the red white & blue.

hahaha....couldn't have said it better myself

Man from La Mancha
10-16-2007, 02:58 AM
Like I suggested before unless they want Dr. Paul and want to do it on their own time and buck it doesn't mean much. They have to want freedom as much as us or it is just show business as usual. They aren't no different than all of us just in a more profitable trade.

reaver
10-16-2007, 03:52 AM
Bono, Cher, fifty-cent, elton john. this is gonna be huge! ;)

recess
10-16-2007, 04:23 AM
cannibal corpse, napalm death, iced earth- this is gonna be great

terlinguatx
10-16-2007, 04:36 AM

recess
10-16-2007, 04:52 AM
I thought Springsteen told Reagan he wasn't allowed to play it.

DjLoTi
10-16-2007, 05:27 AM
Allz I gots to say is put up or shut up

NewEnd
10-16-2007, 05:33 AM
It would totally be worth $100,000 to have springsteen headline.

It would be a defacto endorsement, it would be the move of a top tier candidate, and the press would not be able to ignore it.

NCGOPer_for_Paul
10-16-2007, 07:13 AM
I am a big Bruce Springsteen fan. I've seen him 11 times, and would love to see him actually endorse someone who stands for the America Bruce longs for in his songs...alas, Bruce is a hard-core Democrat, campaigning for Kerry in '04.

However, Springsteen is playing in Washington DC the following night (11/11), and you never know, it's worth a shot.

As for the Reagan incident, he totally misunderstood what Reagan was talking about when "Born In The USA" was played at a rally in New Jersey in 1984. Reagan's quote was something along the lines of "It's great to be in a state where so many young people find hope in the music of New Jersey's own Bruce Springsteen." Springsteen COMPLETELY missed the point. He was so intent on the song "Born In The USA" being known as an anti-war song that he missed Reagan's message and only listened to the song. The guy that actually wrote Reagan's speech that day was a HUGE Springsteen fan who was inspired by a lot of Bruce's earlier work.

Later on, he kind of apologized about the incident. Of course it was never front page news.

The new CD, Magic is wonderful. Many well-written anti-war songs.

Last To Die
we took the highway till
the road went black
we'd marked, Truth or
Consequences on our map
a voice drifted up from the radio
and I thought of a voice from long ago

who'll be the last to die for a mistake
the last to die for a mistake
whose blood will spill, whose heart will break
who'll be the last to die, for a mistake

kids asleep in the backseat
we're just counting the miles, you and me
we don't measure the blood
we've drawn anymore
we just stack the bodies outside the door

whose blood will spill, whose heart wil break
who'll be the last to die, for a mistake

the wise men were all fools, what to do

the sun sets in flames as the city burns
another day gone down as the night turns
and I hold you here in my heart
as things fall apart

a downtown window flushed with light
"faces of the dead at five"
our martyr's silent eyes
petition the drivers as we pass by

darlin' will tyrants and kings
fall to the same fate
strung up at your city gates

Santana28
10-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Local H, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, and Nine Inch Nails ;)

I know someone who knows someone in 4 of those 5 bands ;) heehee. Unfortunately, not well enough to convince them to come play for us. Darnit.

speciallyblend
10-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Someone with connections needs to step up to the plate in the entertainment world...

TVMH
10-16-2007, 09:39 AM
2 Skinny J's :D

EDIT: Or The Bloodhound Gang...they're from somewhere in PA.

Matt Collins
10-16-2007, 10:06 AM
I Work In The Music Industry. Artists Dont Book Dates This Late.

Beerhall Agitator
10-16-2007, 12:36 PM

yeah for a corporate gig, but they might for paul

spivey378
10-16-2007, 12:41 PM
ween is from philly

Nefertiti
10-16-2007, 01:30 PM
I don't know if this singer is anyone well-known, but he contributed $2300 to Ron Paul:

http://www.jimmievaughan.com/

Mandrik
10-16-2007, 05:09 PM
ween is from philly

So are The Dead Milkmen. Maybe Ron Paul could walk on stage to Bitchin' Camaro, eh? ;)

austin356
10-16-2007, 05:39 PM

Your singer that helped yall out in Nashville would:) :) :) He was pretty good.

brandon
10-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Local H, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, and Nine Inch Nails ;)

I know someone who knows someone in 4 of those 5 bands ;) heehee. Unfortunately, not well enough to convince them to come play for us. Darnit.

I would love more than anything to see NIN play this venue, They would love it too. Unfortunatly, NIN is a band that does not have univesral appeal, and would divide some of the potential RP supporters.

Man from La Mancha
10-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Yea they don't book this late but that should not stop them from just doing for it for free with local volunteers to do back up and do stage work. They can just show up. Just let people know a little ahead of time to get the word out.IMO

TVMH
10-16-2007, 10:18 PM
I would love more than anything to see NIN play this venue, They would love it too. Unfortunatly, NIN is a band that does not have univesral appeal, and would divide some of the potential RP supporters.

I'm thinking "Closer" wouldn't go over very well with the older folks in the crowd...'specially if kids is present. :eek:

Matt Collins
10-16-2007, 10:34 PM
yeah for a corporate gig, but they might for paulOnly if they support him and are willing to give up parts of the schedule (unlikely) to appear at his shows.

Matt Collins
10-16-2007, 10:35 PM
Yea they don't book this late but that should not stop them from just doing for it for free with local volunteers to do back up and do stage work. They can just show up. Just let people know a little ahead of time to get the word out.IMO.More than likely they already have their dates booked. Second of all, the expenses for something like this could easily be $10k not to mention lost revenue from not doing a paying gig. Booking national artists that support RP in January might be doable. But for November and December? Not likely.