PDA

View Full Version : Chelsea's Wedding - Let Them Eat Cake

Brian4Liberty
08-03-2010, 11:09 AM
A classic power wedding among the Oligarchs...the banker and the princess.

Chelsea's Wedding
Let Them Eat Cake

By PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS

It is not unusual for members of the diminishing upper middle class to drop $20,000 or $30,000 on a big wedding. But for celebrities this large sum wouldn’t cover the wedding dress or the flowers.

When country music star Keith Urban married actress Nicole Kidman in 2006, their wedding cost $250,000. This large sum hardly counts as a celebrity wedding. When mega-millionaire real estate mogul Donald Trump married model Melania Knauss, the wedding bill was $1,000,000.

The marriages of Madonna and film director Guy Ritchie, Tiger Woods and Elin Nordegren, and Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones pushed up the cost of celebrity marriages to $1.5 million.

Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes upped the ante to $2,000,000.

Now comes the politicians’s daughter as celebrity. According to news reports, Chelsea Clinton’s wedding to investment banker Mark Mezvinsky on July 31 is costing papa Bill $3,000,000. According to the London Daily Mail, the total price tag will be about $5,000,000. The additional $2,000,000 apparently is being laid off on US Taxpayers as Secret Service costs for protecting former president Clinton and foreign heads of state, such as the presidents of France and Italy and former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who are among the 500 invited guests along with Barbara Streisand, Steven Spielberg, Oprah Winfrey, Ted Turner, and Clinton friend and donor Denise Rich, wife of the Clinton-pardoned felon.

Before we attend to the poor political judgment of such an extravagant affair during times of economic distress, let us wonder aloud where a poor boy who became governor of Arkansas and president of the United States got such a fortune that he can blow $3,000,000 on a wedding.

The American people did not take up a collection to reward him for his service to them.
Where did the money come from? Who was he really serving during his eight years in office?

How did Tony Blair and his wife, Cherrie, end up with an annual income of ten million pounds (approximately $15 million dollars) as soon as he left office? Who was Blair really serving?

These are not polite questions, and they are infrequently asked.

While Chelsea’s wedding guests eat a $11,000 wedding cake and admire $250,000 floral displays, Lisa Roberts in Ohio is struggling to raise contributions for her food pantry in order to feed 3,000 local people, whose financial independence was destroyed by investment bankers, job offshoring, and unaffordable wars. The Americans dependent on Lisa Roberts’ food pantry are living out of vans and cars. Those with a house roof still over their heads are packed in as many as 14 per household according to the Chillicothe Gazette in Ohio.

The Chilicothe Gazette reports that Lisa Roberts’ food pantry has “had to cut back to half rations per person in order to have something for everyone who needed it.”

Theresa DePugh stepped up to the challenge and had the starving Ohioans write messages on their food pantry paper plates to President Obama, who has just obtained another $33 billion to squander on a pointless war in Afghanistan that serves no purpose whatsoever except the enrichment of the military/security complex and its shareholders.

The Guardian (UK) reports that according to US government reports, one million American children go to bed hungry, while the Obama regime squanders hundreds of billions of dollars killing women and children in Afghanistan and elsewhere.

The Guardian’s reporting relies on a US government report from the US Department of Agriculture, which concludes that 50 million people in the US--one in six of the population--were unable to afford to buy sufficient food to stay healthy in 2008.

US Department of Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said that he expected the number of hungry Americans to worsen when the survey for 2010 is released.

Today in the American Superpower, one of every six Americans is living on food stamps.

The Great American Superpower, which is wasting trillions of dollars in pursuit of world hegemony, has 22% of its population unemployed and almost 17% of its population dependent on welfare in order to stay alive.

The world has not witnessed such total failure of government since the final days of the Roman Empire. A handful of American oligarchs are becoming mega-billionaires while the rest of the country goes down the drain.

And the American sheeple remain acquiescent.

http://www.counterpunch.org/roberts07302010.html

Slutter McGee
08-03-2010, 11:28 AM
I really see no problem with people spending as much as they want of their own money on their own wedding.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Bruno
08-03-2010, 11:30 AM
I really see no problem with people spending as much as they want of their own money on their own wedding.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Did you miss the $2 million we are footing for security? I have a problem with that.

Philhelm
08-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Did you miss the $2 million we are footing for security? I have a problem with that.

Especially since a mundane such as myself wasn't invited.

Also, I don't have a problem with wealthy people spending their money as they wish; however, it is angering when the source of their income can be questionable to begin with. I have no problem with Tom Cruise and the like spending the money that they gained legitimately (I wouldn't go so far as to say earned). Our treasonous politicians who have sold out this nation are another story though.

dannno
08-03-2010, 01:06 PM

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

*WHHHIIIIFFF*

You missed.

That wasn't the subject of the article, the question is WHERE DID THE MONEY COME FROM?? Where the fuck did they make so much that they can blow $3 million on a wedding?? Was this money given to them as a return for favors that they made to the political elite during their service to 'their country' ??

I have no problem with Tom Cruise and the like spending the money that they gained legitimately (I wouldn't go so far as to say earned). Our treasonous politicians who have sold out this nation are another story though.

Precisely.

VBRonPaulFan
08-03-2010, 01:26 PM
*WHHHIIIIFFF*

You missed.

That wasn't the subject of the article, the question is WHERE DID THE MONEY COME FROM?? Where the fuck did they make so much that they can blow $3 million on a wedding?? Was this money given to them as a return for favors that they made to the political elite during their service to 'their country' ??

Precisely.

Well, I know Bill Clinton travels all over the place giving speeches, and hasn't he written a book or two? He's probably got income coming in from all sorts of places so I wouldn't think it totally unreasonable for someone who got themselves elected as the president to be pretty good about making a buck.

As far as the wedding, there is nothing else I could probably care less about. I honestly think it's sad that the media wants to jump all over this instead of focusing on more important issues. It does make me angry that we are spending so much taxpayer money on secret service though. I'm not totally sure why we need to give an ex-president secret service protection for the rest of their life after their presidency, anyways.

Todd
08-03-2010, 02:13 PM
There's very few politicians alive who are multi millionaires who "earned" their money.

More like backhanded deals while in the public trust

Bruno
08-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Well, I know Bill Clinton travels all over the place giving speeches, and hasn't he written a book or two? He's probably got income coming in from all sorts of places so I wouldn't think it totally unreasonable for someone who got themselves elected as the president to be pretty good about making a buck.

As far as the wedding, there is nothing else I could probably care less about. I honestly think it's sad that the media wants to jump all over this instead of focusing on more important issues. It does make me angry that we are spending so much taxpayer money on secret service though. I'm not totally sure why we need to give an ex-president secret service protection for the rest of their life after their presidency, anyways.

Bill has contributors to his Presidential Library that he doesn't want revealed. He has had questionable dealings overseas that he didn't want to report when Hillary was being vetted for Secretary of State.

Clinton disclosures didn't list $24 million of Bill's income

The sketchy disclosures on Clinton's statements might help explain why many Americans were surprised to learn, upon release of the couple's tax returns and a summary of their 2007 income, that they earned $109 million over the last eight years after leaving the White House buried in debt in 2001.

Read more: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2008/05/05/35929/clinton-disclosures-didnt-list.html#ixzz0vZmZYY1X

Read more: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2008/05/05/35929/clinton-disclosures-didnt-list.html#ixzz0vZmQ6vLy

Brian4Liberty
08-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Also, I don't have a problem with wealthy people spending their money as they wish; however, it is angering when the source of their income can be questionable to begin with. I have no problem with Tom Cruise and the like spending the money that they gained legitimately (I wouldn't go so far as to say earned). Our treasonous politicians who have sold out this nation are another story though.

That and the taxpayer money being spent on the wedding.

As far as the wedding, there is nothing else I could probably care less about. I honestly think it's sad that the media wants to jump all over this instead of focusing on more important issues.

The media attention was kind of like a "royal" wedding. The media was ecstatic. Maybe the happy couple will go on to have a child that will marry a Bush.

libertarian4321
08-03-2010, 03:21 PM
I don't care what he spends on the wedding, but he should reimburse the taxpayers for the extra security costs.

What I find truly appalling is that Clinton's niece (his brother Roger's daughter) is LIVING ON FOOD STAMPS while Billy and Hilly toss around millions on an ostentatious wedding for their ugly duckling daughter.

What happened to "It takes a village?" Bill and Hill don't even take care of their own close relatives.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/28/macy-clinton-niece-of-bil_n_555043.html

dannno
08-03-2010, 03:24 PM
What I find truly appalling is that Clinton's niece (his brother Roger's daughter) is LIVING ON FOOD STAMPS while Billy and Hilly toss around millions on an ostentatious wedding for their ugly duckling daughter.

What happened to "It takes a village?" Bill and Hill don't even take care of their own close relatives.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/28/macy-clinton-niece-of-bil_n_555043.html

Dude you're right, wtf?! That girl is fuckin way HOT compared to Chelsea!!

Bruno
08-03-2010, 03:26 PM
I don't care what he spends on the wedding, but he should reimburse the taxpayers for the extra security costs.

Yeah, Bill and Hillary here totally looking the other way and not helping out a family member when they are swimming in the cash.

And considering Bill was probably doing coke with Roger when he conceived this child, he could at least help the girl out.

Acala
08-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Anyone know how to get into the business of making $10,000 cakes? That's the career for me!!!

dannno
08-03-2010, 03:31 PM
And considering Bill was probably doing coke with Roger when he conceived this child, he could at least help the girl out.

LOL!! Probably...

The New Clinton Chronicles (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8438833120507357139#)

nate895
08-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Guys, former Presidents make serious dough just going around talking. President Clinton probably makes $3,000,000+ a week just giving speeches, not to mention all of his book proceeds. That does not mean it isn't sickening to think about all the money wasted that could go to more worthy causes.

dannno
08-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Guys, former Presidents make serious dough just going around talking. President Clinton probably makes $3,000,000+ a week just giving speeches, not to mention all of his book proceeds. That does not mean it isn't sickening to think about all the money wasted that could go to more worthy causes.

LOL, where does that $3 million/week come from?!

MelissaWV
08-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Anyone know how to get into the business of making $10,000 cakes? That's the career for me!!!

You should consider what goes into those cakes, how long they take to make, and the investments that come ahead of time in building one's reputation to such levels. You should also consider how rarely you'll be called upon to make a cake that costs anywhere near as much. :p

nate895
08-03-2010, 03:43 PM

A President can make millions from just one speech at one college campus. $3 mil./week is a low ball figure.

noxagol
08-03-2010, 03:45 PM
I highly doubt anyone makes that much from a speach. Post some evidence or stop making shit up.

lester1/2jr
08-03-2010, 03:47 PM
I don't have a problem with outlandish weddings either. roberts does make the point: how the fuck did he get so rich?

all these politicians go to washington and end up multi millionaires.

and it is tacky considering her mom is the one who helped send kids to afghanistan and iraq.

it's not the wedding but the fact that it's the DC aristocrats rubbing their corruption in our face

MelissaWV
08-03-2010, 03:47 PM
I highly doubt anyone makes that much from a speach. Post some evidence or stop making shit up.

Old data, but it still refutes the "$3mil/wk" figure, and provides a little more context:

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Former President Bill Clinton traveled the globe in 2005 giving speeches that earned him $7.5 million, according to financial disclosure documents his wife, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, is required to file annually.

The Senate released financial disclosure statements Wednesday.

Clinton's speaking fees mark an almost nine-fold increase from the $875,000 he earned in 2004, when he spent much of the year writing and promoting his memoirs and later recuperating for several months from heart bypass surgery.

He earned $9.5 million in speaking fees in 2002

Clinton's speaking tour in 2005 included 43 speeches in 14 countries. He began in February and averaged about four speeches a month, usually charging about $150,000 per event. On occasion, the price was much steeper.

On October 18, 2005, for example, he addressed about 8,500 business executives at a "Power Within" motivational speaking conference in Toronto, Ontario, for a price of $350,000.

The next day he addressed a similar group at a "Power Within" conference in Calgary, Alberta, for $300,000.

When factoring in his $125,000 fee for remarks to a different business group delivered via video-conference before the Toronto event, the former president's total two-day haul was $775,000.

lester1/2jr
08-03-2010, 03:50 PM
those speaking things is one way people can make a ton of money for doing not a lot.

nate895
08-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Old data, but it still refutes the "$3mil/wk" figure, and provides a little more context:

It seems I stand corrected on the 3 mil/week figure, but I did find this:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/04/04/clinton-releases-tax-returns/?fbid=X4_Z7vBHvdJ

It seems the Clintons had made around $100 Mil from 2000-2006, around half of which is from Bill's speaking. It does show that they certainly have plenty to blow on a wedding, especially since this is their only child.

Acala
08-03-2010, 04:04 PM
You should consider what goes into those cakes, how long they take to make, and the investments that come ahead of time in building one's reputation to such levels. You should also consider how rarely you'll be called upon to make a cake that costs anywhere near as much. :p

Thanks for the encouragement. Wet blanket. :(

Philhelm
08-03-2010, 07:27 PM
it's not the wedding but the fact that it's the DC aristocrats rubbing their corruption in our face

That's another issue that concerns me. This wedding is quite symbolic of the Washington aristocracy, in my opinion.

Brian4Liberty
08-03-2010, 11:19 PM

Come on, you really expect Bill and Hillary to pay for all of the illegitimate Clinton children? That would be too expensive. And besides, food stamps is how they take care of the girl. The elite use taxpayer and donation money to help society, they don't use their own money. :rolleyes: Donate to Tsunami Relief! Clinton probably only takes a 10% cut for himself.

Marenco
08-04-2010, 03:25 AM
"Sarah, there's a government inside the government and I don't control it." - Bill Clinton

Noob
08-04-2010, 04:34 AM
What about those 24 hour drive in wedding temples in Las Vagas?

teacherone
08-04-2010, 04:56 AM
"Sarah, there's a government inside the government and I don't control it." - Bill Clinton

source?

lester1/2jr
08-04-2010, 08:22 AM
LBJ had something like this. his daughter had a big splendid wedding during the vietnam war and people thought it was tacky.

Bruno
08-04-2010, 08:31 AM
source?

Can't find a video of it

http://www.hillaryclintonufo.net/billclintonquotes.html

http://www.presidentialufo.com/gerald-ford/92-the-ford-ufo-letter

http://www.presidentialufo.com/ufo-quotes

Brian4Liberty
08-04-2010, 02:01 PM
A President can make millions from just one speech at one college campus. $3 mil./week is a low ball figure.

:D

roberts does make the point: how the fuck did he get so rich?

His cut of the Haiti and Tsunami Relief funds? The Bill Clinton "I Gave You Amnesty" Fund? :confused: