PDA

View Full Version : Foundout I'm going to be C4L internship, need help with housing!

jbrace
08-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Hey guys, I just found out I got accepted as the C4L intern at their office in Springfield, VA (D.C. area) and I was wondering if anyone knows of any affordable housing that is nearby? I'm coming from Arkansas and will most likely be flying. The dates are: August 16th to Dec 17th. If you know of anything let me know!!

healthpellets
08-03-2010, 10:45 AM
congrats!

sorry, no useful info.

tangent4ronpaul
08-03-2010, 11:04 AM
I believe the Leadership Institute has low cost lodging available for people taking their classes. Considering what you are doing, they might open it up to you.

http://www.leadershipinstitute.org/

You might also try local colleges housing offices looking for a roommate situation, however as you would leave a potential roommate hanging with the bills and needing to find a new roommate mid school year, most will not be eager to rent to you. They would also want to meet you first.

I believe there are still RP meetups in that area, "The Belly of the Beast" meetup comes to mind. Might join a few in the DC/NOVA area and ask there.

Also, the farther out you get, the less rent is. You might look at the MARC train map and look at areas near where it stops for a more travel time / less rent trade off.

Housing in that area is extremely expensive.

-t

tangent4ronpaul
08-03-2010, 11:10 AM
There is also couchsurfing, but it's not really designed for that duration. You could try or try and find several in the area.

http://www.couchsurfing.org/

-t

specialkornflake
08-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Hello!
I live in the area. For convenience, you will want to live on the metro, especially since you won't have a car.

True, you could commute in with the commuter train lines, but this isn't nearly as nice as you will want to hang out in downtown DC in the evenings probably.

Here is a map of the metro so you can see what towns you could try:
http://www.dcmetromap.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/dc-metro-map2.jpg

I would have suggested College park because it is a college town and might be reasonable and it's on the metro but unfortunately it's on the other side of the city.

Hope this helps!

tangent4ronpaul
08-03-2010, 11:55 AM
One other note - BWI is much less expensive to fly into and out of than either of the DC airports. You can catch the train to DC from there. There is a shuttle from BWI to the MARC.

-t

LibertyMage
08-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Have you communicated with either of the Virginia Campaign for Liberty State Coordinators by any chance? Are you looking at Virginia exclusively or would you consider a place in Maryland?

Matt Collins
08-03-2010, 02:00 PM
I thought the CFL / YAL had a frat house that they rented for their interns?

WaltM
08-03-2010, 03:50 PM
I thought the CFL / YAL had a frat house that they rented for their interns?

yeah, don't they?

jbrace
08-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Have you communicated with either of the Virginia Campaign for Liberty State Coordinators by any chance? Are you looking at Virginia exclusively or would you consider a place in Maryland?

I'm looking for anywhere close to Springfield, VA. I'm flying out so I'll need access to public transportation.

jbrace
08-04-2010, 02:30 PM
yeah, don't they?

You guys have any more information concerning the YAL Frat house.

Matt Collins
08-04-2010, 02:36 PM
You guys have any more information concerning the YAL Frat house.Contact any of the YAL guys on Facebook and ask them. Allison might have information on that too.