PDA

View Full Version : Jones Snubbed Again For Anti-war Views

Bradley in DC
10-15-2007, 11:39 PM
http://www.politics1.com/index.htm

CONGRESS: The Hill reported that Congressman Walter Jones Jr. (R-NC) -- a vocal supporter-turned-opponent of the Iraq War -- will likely be passed over for the ranking member spot on a House Armed Services Committee. Jones, who has more seniority that any other Republican interested in the spot, was hoping to succeed the late Congresswoman Jo Ann Davis (R-VA) as ranking member of the Readiness Subcommittee. The House GOP Leadership has assigned Armed Services Committee ranking minority member Duncan Hunter (R-CA) with the task of making the decision. Leadership, however, is opposed to Jones being given the slot. This will be the second time Jones is passed over for a ranking member subcommittee slot, again due to his Iraq War opposition. "I have a lot of respect for you, but I don’t agree with you on Iraq and I feel that I must not recommend you for ranking member," Hunter reportedly told Jones the last time he passed him over. Jones is also facing a tough GOP primary challenge next year from Onslow County Commissioner Joe McLaughlin, an Iraq War supporter. Jones' CD-3 seat is dominated by the giant Fort Bragg military base.

RP4ME
10-15-2007, 11:49 PM
ughh!

BuddyRey
10-16-2007, 07:00 AM
Walter Jones was also one of only two or three House Republicans to vote against FISA a couple months back, wasn't he? North Carolina (and every other state, for that matter) could use a lot more folks like him!