PDA

View Full Version : UNI-YAL Website: Feedback?

cybloo
08-03-2010, 03:13 AM
I've been working on a website for the YAL chapter at the University of Northern Iowa. If you could give me some feedback, it would help me immensely.

This design is for the front-page only. Sub-pages will be arranged a little bit differently (more like a simplified version so that the "spotlighted" content is not overwhelmed). I used Illustrator to create the written text and more complicated graphic elements and then made this mock-up in Photoshop.

http://www.courtneybeadel.com/random/layout.png

DirtMcGirt
08-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Very creative, nice work... These are just suggestions

I would lose the "ch-ch-check it out" replace with Check it out or Liberty links (I think that's a Beastie Boys lyric)

I like the fingers for the Y, but I think the UNI YAL all together is a little confusing- University of Northern Iowa, right... maybe put the "University of Northern Iowa Chapter" under your YAL logo.

2nd menu tab "blog" needs to be tweaked... (maybe its just too small)

Where you have the text "Join us Online" needs something; different size-font or you could keep empty or put a logo of some sort( eagle, school mascot, statue of liberty, etc...)

Best Wishes

cybloo
08-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks! I will definitely recheck things and update.

That Beastie Boys song came on just as I was doing the linkroll. :)

cybloo
08-04-2010, 12:40 AM
I think I need to tone it down a little bit, after some careful consideration. Do you think it's too much? Too busy?

Kludge
08-04-2010, 01:11 AM
I really like the lack of blank space in the design - it's efficient in the right way. It looks both professional and original - I enjoy looking at it, but agree with all of Dirt's suggestions (though approve of the linkroll title!). Some of the content positioning seems really unnatural to me: blog posts on the left & login/register not furthest top-right. Might want to consider making the social networking buttons pop out a little more with contrast. Definitely figure something else out for the top-left logo - might just need the text lowered below the graphic.

cybloo
08-05-2010, 02:55 AM
Yeah, that logo has had several different versions to it and I never seem to be able to tweak it quite right. Maybe I need to apply the adage "simpler is better" and just use a really nice, clean typeface sans hand and do some adjusting of the content blocks.

DirtMcGirt
08-05-2010, 10:55 AM
I think I need to tone it down a little bit, after some careful consideration. Do you think it's too much? Too busy?

I think what you have so far is original and solid...I wouldn't change your concept and design...
*I like kludge's idea with giving a bit more color to the social networking buttons...
*You could also lineup the bottom of "Hello Internets" to the "resources" box by making it a touch longer...