PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think the USA Is On A Decline As A Civilization?

DamianTV
08-03-2010, 02:45 AM
In response to the Matt Collins thread of the same topic, I thought it would be interesting to poll our forum users. Just curious what the results will turn up...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=255528

Probably more than 62%...

Zippyjuan
08-03-2010, 02:55 AM
The US has seen better days. And it has seen worse days. And it will probably continue to see more of both. That's life.

libertybrewcity
08-03-2010, 02:59 AM
Oh yes. Future conflicts will be fought between civilizations.

"The Clash of Civilizations"
http://history.club.fatih.edu.tr/103%20Huntington%20Clash%20of%20Civilizations%20fu ll%20text.htm

Southron
08-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Yes and I think our declining birthrates bear it out.

Travlyr
08-03-2010, 08:34 AM
It was on decline until a few years ago. Now with the power of the Internet Americans are getting it turned around. As soon as we get back to sound monetary policy, civilization in the USA will prosper and move toward freedom.

MelissaWV
08-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Yes and I think our declining birthrates bear it out.

Declining birthrates are a symptom and sign of many things. In general, "civilized" nations have lower birthrates, though.

LibertyVox
08-03-2010, 09:40 AM
I withhold my vote.

lester1/2jr
08-03-2010, 09:41 AM
I think other nations are going to pass us economically but you are never goin to have the type of freedoms you have here in say russia or china

LibertyVox
08-03-2010, 09:42 AM
I think other nations are going to pass us economically but you are never goin to have the type of freedoms you have here in say russia or china

This.

Precisely.

No other nation has grasped the notion of liberty in its civil religion than the US.

pcosmar
08-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Civilization is overrated.

erowe1
08-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Why should the USA be considered "a civilization" to begin with? What is it about civilizations that their boundaries have to be coequal with territories that are subjugated to any given gang of thieves?

Austrian Econ Disciple
08-03-2010, 10:16 AM
This.

Precisely.

No other nation has grasped the notion of liberty in its civil religion than the US.

This is absurd. Americans do not have some divine gospel of liberty. Any other people have the capability to embrace liberty and freedom as did the Colonists.

Costa Rica has no army. They even celebrate the abolishment of their standing army. I would say that is a great feat. The libertarian party in Costa Rica is approximately 30% of the population, which, even though not as Austrian as the libertarian counter-parts here in America would be far better than anything we have now. Similarly, the Swiss are up there. Somaliland is up there also (And no, Somaliland is not Mogadishu).

China is moving in the opposite direction we are. In fact, if it wasn't for the widespread political corruption in China when it comes to business, they would be more free economically than most other countries (granted it isn't saying much...). Some top Chinese economists also have been espousing Mises and Hayek, so we'll see how much more market reforms they continue to carry-out. Granted, I don't see China abolishing their Central Bank and fiat money, but nonetheless if I had a choice of either starting a business here in America or in China, I'd pick China. Georgia is also making great strides to becoming a great place for investors and free-marketeers. In fact, their head economist is fucking awesome.

The US is headed towards more tyranny.