PDA

View Full Version : Texas Judge Arrested For Jailing School Kids With Unpaid ‘Truancy Fines’

Rael
08-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Texas Judge Arrested For Jailing School Kids With Unpaid ‘Truancy Fines’

Source: Valley Central

An Hidalgo County Judge finds herself on the other side of the bench after being indicted.

Judge Mary Alice Palacios of Precinct 4, Place 2 is accused of sending kids to jail for months at a time, because they couldn’t pay their truancy fine.

Shielded by family and friends, Judge Palacios made her way from the Hidalgo County Jail at 12:32pm Friday just 15 minutes after being booked into the jail.

Palacios is being charged with official oppression and was given a $2,500 PR bond, after an Hidalgo grand jury handed down an indictment against her Wednesday.

Before being whisked away in an awaiting vehicle, she rolled down the window and thanked those who supported her through the years. “Thank you to everyone for all of their support” said the Judge.

Anti Federalist
08-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Palacios is being charged with official oppression

I'll be damned.

Hope springs eternal...

oyarde
08-02-2010, 07:50 PM
I have never been aware of any truancy fines.Is this just something in Hildago County ?

angelatc
08-02-2010, 08:25 PM
I have never been aware of any truancy fines.Is this just something in Hildago County ?

I'm wondering if the checks were supposed to be made payable to the judge.

michaelwise
08-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Indite them for steeling kids from parents too. What a great concept. Citizens Grand Juries!

libertybrewcity
08-03-2010, 02:56 AM

Truancy has been debated for a long time now. The school district I was from had truancy fines. I would think that because school is mandatory for a certain amount of time(eighth grade is it), there would some punishment for not going whether it be fines or community service.

libertybrewcity
08-03-2010, 02:57 AM
Also, just to note. Isn't it ironic that if the kids are in jail they wouldn't be able to go to school. It is summer though..still kinda funny.

oyarde
08-03-2010, 12:43 PM
What school district ? California ? I am amazed by this.Never heard of such a thing.

nate895
08-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Most states have these laws. They are simply not enforced.

HOLLYWOOD
08-03-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm wondering if the checks were supposed to be made payable to the judge.

All 3 branches of government are corrupt... We The People are now the servants to government.

Luzerne County Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan took $2.6 million in payoffs to put juvenile offenders in lockups run by PA Child Care LLC and a sister company, Western PA Child Care LLC. The judges were charged on Jan. 26 and removed from the bench by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court shortly afterward.

Pa. judges accused of jailing kids for cash
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29142654/
Judges allegedly took $2.6 million in payoffs to put juveniles in lockups

oyarde
08-03-2010, 01:07 PM
The laws I was aware of were directed at parents and not the juveniles.In my home state you are not required to inform the state if you home school,