PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL - Get Willie to Philly Project!!

BLS
10-15-2007, 11:19 PM
Let's get organized here and use the power of the internet to...

Get Willie To Philly!!

Let's get Willie Nelson to Philly to play at the November 5th Philadelphia.

Just email his site.
If we get enough people to email his managers he might just show up!!

Send him the link
http://philly.ronpaulrally.org/

And ask him to attend to help take back our Country, legalize marijuana, AND abolish the income tax!!

Please take 5 minutes to help get this event a huge turnout!

http://www.willienelson.com/headquarters/contact.htm

Sematary
10-15-2007, 11:26 PM

Get Willie To Philly!!

Just email his site.

Send him the link

And ask him to attend to help take back our Country, legalize marijuana, AND abolish the income tax!!

First - the event is November 10
Second - the CAMPAIGN is deciding who will be there.
So - if you have ideas for entertainment (I'm all for it) - it needs to go through the campaign.

BLS
10-15-2007, 11:26 PM
First - the event is November 10
Second - the CAMPAIGN is deciding who will be there.
So - if you have ideas for entertainment (I'm all for it) - it needs to go through the campaign.

Oh...well that's a downer.

Sorry for the confusion.

Sematary
10-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Oh...well that's a downer.

Sorry for the confusion.

No problem - but why don't you suggest it to the campaign?

Man from La Mancha
10-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Curious, why ask the campaign, they won't be paying for it and like they would turn down Willie, sureeeeeeee. .

RP4ME
10-15-2007, 11:36 PM

Get Willie To Philly!!

Just email his site.

Send him the link

DONE! Wooo hooo! I love me some Willie........

G-khan
10-15-2007, 11:37 PM
I already wrote and asked - so too late for me..........

G-khan
10-15-2007, 11:38 PM
If nothing else it will get his attention and he may not know about the good Dr.

Matt Collins
10-15-2007, 11:39 PM
Willie is probably $100,000 to book. Not to mention it's waaaaaaaay past time to book him. Most artists of his scale make their touring schedule 6-12 months out.

terlinguatx
10-15-2007, 11:41 PM

Sematary
10-15-2007, 11:42 PM
Curious, why ask the campaign, they won't be paying for it and like they would turn down Willie, sureeeeeeee. .

The campaign has taken over the rally. If we want someone there - it HAS to go through the campaign.

McDermit
10-16-2007, 12:03 AM
Willie is probably $100,000 to book. Not to mention it's waaaaaaaay past time to book him. Most artists of his scale make their touring schedule 6-12 months out.

Last I heard, he was taking a month long hiatus from touring beginning November 4th. And he's not $100k. More like 50. Certainly lower for a good cause. (Maybe free? Who Knows. HQ would have to reach out to him.) And he DOES support RP, just has not officially endorsed him.

McDermit
10-16-2007, 12:04 AM
If nothing else it will get his attention and he may not know about the good Dr.
He knows plenty! I personally handed him an Ozzfest flyer and a slimjim not too long ago when he was in Jersey. We got one to Merle and Ray Price too.

And Willie mentioned RP in an interview with a Seattle radio station. Said he liked some of his policies, but didn't take it any further.

Man from La Mancha
10-16-2007, 12:05 AM
Who would want any celebrity unless they felt like us and decided to use their talents for the benefit of freedom. Do we charge.

terlinguatx
10-16-2007, 12:08 AM

McDermit
10-16-2007, 12:18 AM
Bon Jovi? He's in Jersey the whole week (more than that, even) for concerts at the new Prudential Center and his shows are usually later in the evening...

Springsteen is performing in DC on the 11th... so he'll need to be on the East coast anyway, and as of now, it looks like his schedule is open on the 10th.

RP4ME
10-16-2007, 12:22 AM
I emailed Willie anyway - i didnt see that teh other posts but we should reach out to him and Bon Jovi and Springsteen if we think they roll that way.....

It worked with Adam curry!

Matt Collins
10-16-2007, 01:06 AM
Last I heard, he was taking a month long hiatus from touring beginning November 4th. And he's not $100k. More like 50. Certainly lower for a good cause. (Maybe free? Who Knows. HQ would have to reach out to him.) And he DOES support RP, just has not officially endorsed him.I bet his expenses are still a good $10k at least. I haven't seen his show so I have no idea how involved it is, but I am sure it isn't cheap to produce, even if he isn't making any net.

chon
10-16-2007, 02:59 AM
phil collins

McDermit
10-16-2007, 03:19 AM
phil collins
yeah, good suggestion. he might be willing as well. My ex got a mosaic flyer to him when we saw genesis in Philly last month. A few of the suite leaseholders got a really brief meet and great before the show. He just thanked her and smiled when she handed it to him, so we don't know for sure whether he read it... But I'd hope so!

McDermit
10-16-2007, 03:22 AM
I wish Duran Duran weren't doing that darn broadway tour in November. They wont even be rolling out of bed until after noon, or they would have done it for sure.

jointhefightforfreedom
10-16-2007, 04:22 AM
email sent

Tom29
10-16-2007, 04:37 AM
Dylaaaaan!!!!

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=z8rD1GpIgpo

Nefertiti
10-16-2007, 06:02 AM
phil collins

Uhhh....he's not an American.

constituent
10-16-2007, 06:05 AM
maybe we could start a Texas Willie Trackdown club?

seems my whole life Willie Nelson either just was (somewhere near)
or is about to be.

i think if all the texans out there put their heads and powers of observation
together we could probably find willie and ask him oursel(3 or 400)selves.

njjack
10-16-2007, 06:16 AM
Sent Willie an email, I don't care who decides what. Grassroots will do what they do, make opportunities happen, the campaign can do whatever they want. It would be too cool if he came and he would have reason to, the hundreds of thousands of Youtube views alone would be insane for anyone to pass up. Especially someone as cool as Willie. :cool:

paulicywonk
10-16-2007, 06:30 AM
As someone with a little knowledge, you're going to have a hard time bringing a mega-act into Philadelphia for this event because Independence Hall is not equipped with the sort of sound that you would need.

rpfreedom08
10-16-2007, 06:39 AM
1) The flaming lips
2) Jack Johnson

I listen to these guys all the time and they are spot on with what the Ron Paul freedom message says. Would be a great show if flaming lips went! Very possitive vibe!

edit: thier message isn't as clear as say bob dylan's but if you listen closely you can definatley hear it.

constituent
10-16-2007, 06:56 AM
^flaming lips 2nd'd ::w/ gusto::.

Eric21ND
10-16-2007, 07:40 AM
I wanted Minus The Bear but they're booked that day.

jm1776
10-16-2007, 07:59 AM
I don't think Willie Nelson needs an elaborate setup to put on a show. He is playing in our small Auditorium, built in 1928, on Friday the 26th of this month.

http://www.theaud.org/index.html

We're a small artist community with regional draw. You might remember last year when we passed a city ordnance to make marijuana possession a lower priority than j-walking. ;)

http://www.katv.com/news/stories/1106/374159.html

I think Willie just likes the town, not a lot of capacity in the Auditorium.

My meetup group is meeting tonight to finalize plans to to show Freedom to Fascism in the same building on Saturday night. The idea is to get both events on the same marquee.

A member or our meetup is a photographer for a city promotion orginization and has a go anywhere pass and I have tickets to take my wife. We'll see what we can do!

PredatorOC
10-16-2007, 08:08 AM
Get Flogging Molly.

Lyrics from 'With a Wonder and a Wild Desire':

Hail the shower from the broadside
To the heavens down below
Draw one last breath from your fanning ship
Sink the hunger in us all
Shake the hand that speaks of freedom
Kiss hate one final bow
Till each twilight falls then rests till dawn and tomorrow's never sleep

So with a wonder and a wild desire
I will crawl from under every weight
With a wonder and a wild desire
Bless the day it was I shared your name
With each word forever speaks your grave

And of the fool we shall not mention
That depraves the cries of youth
Drag not your strength from government
But from the voices they abuse

runderwo
10-16-2007, 09:01 AM
Willie,

Please support Ron Paul, the only Republican peace and freedom candidate, who has enjoyed mainstream success in both fundraising and polling.

Contact the official campaign at ronpaul2008.com and book 11/10 at the Independence Mall in Philly. The rally runs from 12-4pm and we want so bad for you to headline the after-party.

Ron Paul stands for everything you stand for.

Matt Collins
10-16-2007, 09:51 AM
I Am Telling Yall - Artists Don't Book Gigs 3 Weeks Out!!!

runderwo
10-16-2007, 10:06 AM
He's not booked that day.

I've played shows on hours worth of notice.

If they want it to happen they can make it happen, especially with a low-key production like Willie's.

freedominnumbers
10-16-2007, 06:57 PM

You are probably right. Can't hurt to try though.

I know I'd make it work if I believed in something.

tfelice
10-16-2007, 08:27 PM

Matt,

I know that and others do as well. Nonetheless, contacting him cannot hurt. Although Nelson is a mega-star he still is an individual who is very capable of getting on a plane, flying to Philly and coming to the rally. The point is not so much to have a Willie Nelson concert in Philly, but instead to have him, and other than have been contacted there to increase media attention and potential turnout.

danda
10-16-2007, 08:39 PM
I'd just like to say two things:

1) This rally came from these forums, and as far as I know, the rally is open for all to attend. That means we can invite whomever we like, as individuals. No need to ask permission from the campaign.

2) As individuals (and not organizers) we cannot guarantee that the people we invite will have stage time. But they sure as hell can come out with us, and they can bring along whomever they like, and whatever equipment they like. And if the person is famous enough, there's still a very good chance they will be able to get some stage time if they want it.

But the fact is, we will never know unless and until we try. This rally came from these forums, and as far as I'm concerned the campaign's "handling" of it has been terrible, or somewhere beyond terrible. They don't even have a website for it, less than 1 month away. An objective observer would say they are trying to kill it by neglect.

This rally is by and for us. So it's up to us to make the rally GIANT and GREAT.

voortrekker
10-16-2007, 10:38 PM
As far as getting Willie to play in Philly, I'd say it's a very long shot, but what have we to lose?

I do live close by Willie(seriously) in Spicewood, TX.(near Austin)

His gate says "Luck, Tx" and I've heard he's got is own zip code.

Anyhow, I've got some "official" Ron Paul yard signs(9) that I could put up right next to his gate. If y'all think it's worth it I'll do it(In the midnight bandit way so to speak).:)

I don't see why he wouldn't support RP.

Matt Collins
10-16-2007, 10:53 PM
He's not booked that day.

I've played shows on hours worth of notice.

If they want it to happen they can make it happen, especially with a low-key production like Willie's.Yes, but this involves moving at least the following people and equipment:

People:
Road manager
Probably a production/tech manager
Merchandise person
Probably 3 or 4 audio engineers
Probably 2 or 3 lighting techs
Willie's band (if he has one) and their techs
Willie himself and his family or traveling companions
Guitar tech

Gear:
Willie's guitars
Two audio consoles
Band instrument and tech gear (if appliciable)
Mic stands
Guitar tech equipment
Wireless equipment rig
etc.. (there is more I am sure but I am tired at the moment)

You are EASILY looking at over 1 ton of equipment that either has to be transported and/or rented locally (not all of it can be rented though). Then you are looking moving at minimum 13 people to pull this off. The logistics for this are a nightmare and it's why concerts get planned MONTHS in advance.

As I said, this might be possible to pull off in January, but I think Nov and Dec are out of the question if for no other reason than a logistical quagmire. And you are right, Willie is one of the easier productions to pull off.

Matt Collins
10-16-2007, 10:54 PM
I know I'd make it work if I believed in something.Read the post above mine. It's not always up to Willie if he can do it. There is an entire myriad of decisions and logistics that have to adjoin setting up a date, specifically a fly date.

parocks
10-17-2007, 08:44 PM
per pollstar, these people/bands are playing in the greater philly area later on saturday nov 10 (partial list)

John Fogerty
Dashboard Confessional (acoustic)
Augustana
Bob Mould
Arlo Guthrie
Annie Lennox
Dr. Dog

If any of these people support Dr. Paul (and they might), they might play this show.

http://parocks.com/banners/RONPAULRALLY.gif

4RPinKC
10-18-2007, 01:50 AM
Um we are all forgetting one thing. Willie Nelson is linked to one issue more passionately than hating the IRS or loving weed. He put on this little thing called Farm Aid to get FARM SUBSIDIES. Ron Paul opposes the issue he is most strongly attached to. This is probably why he has appeared with Kucinich. Here is a video of him endorsing DK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIzfQx98XSg

Realistically we have a few supporters. Neal Pert from RUSH and John Popper from Blues Traveler. Blues Traveler has the mass appeal we have been talking about. I plan on sending a message to call out John Popper on YouTube in the coming days.

I am picturing a mega group with Jimmie Vaughn on Guitar, Pert on Drums, Popper on Harp and Vocals. So one go recruit us a bassist

libertythor
10-18-2007, 02:02 AM
I got this reply a week ago when I wrote him asking if he would consider supporting Ron Paul.

Thank you for inviting Willie Nelson to endorse Ron Paul in his campaign. Unfortunately, it is my understanding that Willie generally does not endorse political candidates; he doesn't even mix politics with his concert events. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause.
We wish you the best, and thank you again for thinking of Willie.

Sincerely,

Jillian Lopez
Mark Rothbaum & Associates, Inc.

McDermit
10-18-2007, 02:03 AM
Um we are all forgetting one thing. Willie Nelson is linked to one issue more passionately than hating the IRS or loving weed. He put on this little thing called Farm Aid to get FARM SUBSIDIES. Ron Paul opposes the issue he is most strongly attached to. This is probably why he has appeared with Kucinich. Here is a video of him endorsing DK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIzfQx98XSg

Realistically we have a few supporters. Neal Pert from RUSH and John Popper from Blues Traveler. Blues Traveler has the mass appeal we have been talking about. I plan on sending a message to call out John Popper on YouTube in the coming days.

I am picturing a mega group with Jimmie Vaughn on Guitar, Pert on Drums, Popper on Harp and Vocals. So one go recruit us a bassist
If RP and Willie had a chat, RP could get Willie to see the light in no time though. And Willie HAS said that he likes RP.

But regardless, at this point, we'll have a tough time getting anyone... this stuff all should have been done months ago.

jaybone
10-18-2007, 06:42 AM
I wanted Minus The Bear but they're booked that day.

man I love them, such an original sound, seems nobody outside of seattle knows them though.

Eric21ND
10-18-2007, 12:48 PM
man I love them, such an original sound, seems nobody outside of seattle knows them though.

They have their cult following and anybody who hasn't heard them or seen them play would instantly become a fan once they did. They aren't hugely popular either so it would be realistic getting them to play also. I think the college kids would've loved them.