PDA

View Full Version : The Problem With The Libertarian Party

Matt Collins
08-02-2010, 01:56 PM
YouTube - Michael Badnarik Libertarian Party Convention 2010 Speech Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRBdKMitPIg)
YouTube - Michael Badnarik Libertarian Party Convention 2010 Speech Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmqXS5XSn10&feature=related)

heavenlyboy34
08-02-2010, 02:42 PM
"libertarians are lazy...always looking for a shortcut". :rolleyes: Collectivist drivel, badnarik.

BW2112
08-02-2010, 03:18 PM
"libertarians are lazy...always looking for a shortcut". :rolleyes: Collectivist drivel, badnarik.

Im sure he meant "a lot" of libertarians are lazy.... It seems like everyone, oh excuse me, " a lot" of people here just love to brand someone as a collectivist the minute they mispeak and say something about a group of people without preceding it with "most", "some", "a few", or "a lot". Its turning into a new politcal correctness.

Anyways, Badnarik was spot on in these videos.

NewFederalist
08-02-2010, 03:45 PM
The Problem With The Libertarian Party

... is that it is irrelevent.

Bman
08-02-2010, 03:54 PM

^this

(breaks into song) Hershey Park Happy, get Hershey Park glad. So many things to see and do. Good times to be had.

FrankRep
08-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Michael Badnarik: "... Libertarians spend 98% of their energy debating each other on the 2% they disagree on. STOP DEBATING."

:) I agree.

Matt Collins
08-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Michael Badnarik: "... Libertarians spend 98% of their energy debating each other on the 2% they disagree on. STOP DEBATING."

:) I agree.
But then RPF would be very boring! :p;)

Jeremy
08-02-2010, 04:16 PM

someone is going to attack you for using the word "collectivist"

specsaregood
08-02-2010, 04:18 PM

If the CP with Tancredo can break through and win a governorship, they will in relatively short time have surpassed the LP. for this reason alone, I'd support Tancredo's constitution party bid in spirit and online.

purplechoe
08-02-2010, 04:39 PM
http://outtheotherear.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/bob-barr-small-thumb-425x279.jpg

MRoCkEd
08-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Great speech!

Number19
08-02-2010, 05:17 PM
"libertarians are lazy...always looking for a shortcut". :rolleyes: Collectivist drivel, badnarik.This quote occurs at 5:35 and what he actually said is : ...Libertarians as a whole are lazy...". This does not convey the same, all inclusive, "collectivist" meaning as what you have him saying.

YumYum
08-02-2010, 05:48 PM
He makes total sense. Is he correct in what he is saying, or, are Libertarians as a whole in denial?

I ask because I started supporting Ron Paul when he was running for president and I registered as a Republican to campaign and vote for him. I have never been a Libertarian, but I have learned a lot about Libertarians from this discussion board and I think it is a damn shame that the Party is dead.

Libertarian = "Dysfunctional Liberty" :)

heavenlyboy34
08-02-2010, 05:53 PM
This quote occurs at 5:35 and what he actually said is : ...Libertarians as a whole are lazy...". This does not convey the same, all inclusive, "collectivist" meaning as what you have him saying.

Yes it does. To make it "uncollectivist" he would have had to specify which libertarians are lazy. What he said was the result of lazy reasoning.

Pericles
08-02-2010, 06:59 PM
This quote occurs at 5:35 and what he actually said is : ...Libertarians as a whole are lazy...". This does not convey the same, all inclusive, "collectivist" meaning as what you have him saying.

Yes, and the reaction to it proves his point, which is correct.

jmdrake
08-02-2010, 07:00 PM
But then RPF would be very boring! :p;)

The scary thing is, I kept thinking of RPF, the CFL etc when listening to his speech. :eek:

Number19
08-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Yes it does. To make it "uncollectivist" he would have had to specify which libertarians are lazy. What he said was the result of lazy reasoning.He was specifying which "libertarians" are lazy. You used the small "l" libertarian. I capitalized the word. Now, Badnarik was speaking at the LP Convention. Who do you think he was directing his words at, small "l" libertarians, or members of the LP? The phrase "Libertarians as a whole" is indicative that some, obviously, are not included, but in his opinion, many, or most, members of the LP are guilty of this trait.

chudrockz
08-02-2010, 07:59 PM
I'd post a comment, but I'm a registered Libertarian and I'm too lazy to watch the speech at the moment! :)

Matt Collins
08-02-2010, 08:29 PM
The scary thing is, I kept thinking of RPF, the CFL etc when listening to his speech. :eek:Yeah but you and I are actually doing things instead of sitting around debating (although we do our fair share of that too ;) :p ) :D

Imperial
08-02-2010, 10:05 PM
If the CP with Tancredo can break through and win a governorship, they will in relatively short time have surpassed the LP. for this reason alone, I'd support Tancredo's constitution party bid in spirit and online.

I will give the CP credit, as far as gaining ground they have been doing it well. Choosing Chuck Baldwin, who has credibility with Ron Paul supporters that might not be CPers (like the Libertarians who defected or newly political Paulistas) for their presidential candidate gave them a record number of votes all things considered, especially when you note Baldwin did not get on the ballot in California due to a schism (past years CP candidates got a ton of votes there). They also managed to get John Hostettler, Tom Tancredo, and Virgil Goode to speak before their party. Goode recently registered with the party; Tancredo is running for guv. As far as pulling the right moves, the CP may be beating their third party competitors in some aspects.

ninepointfive
08-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Libertarians are the annoying persons with plenty of criticism, but no actual work ethic which would bring positive results. The real fighters are found in the Republican party for the time being.

In effect, I am sorry to say, the Libertarian party is all protest. This is my experience.

LibertyVox
08-02-2010, 11:31 PM
;->