PDA

View Full Version : Key WikiLeaks Figure Detained, Phones Seized by US Customs US Army Officials Attended

Agorism
08-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Key WikiLeaks Figure Detained, Phones Seized by US Customs
US Army Officials Attended Questioning of Appelbaum at Airport (http://news.antiwar.com/2010/08/01/key-wikileaks-figure-detained-phones-seized-by-us-customs)

A top volunteer with WikiLeaks, Jacob Appelbaum, was detained by US customs officials in New York today, following his return to the nation from a trip to the Netherlands. During the three hour detention, officials rummaged through his belongings, photocopied all of his receipts, searched his laptop computer, and seized his cellular telephones.

According to Appelbaum, the officials demanded to know his opinion of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and also pressed him to reveal the whereabouts of Julian Assange, the WikiLeaks founder. He says FBI officials again accosted him at his final destination, Las Vegas, where he was to attend the DefCon conference.

Appelbaum, who works for the non-profit Tor Project, gave a talk at the DefCon conference regarding how to circumvent Chinese censorship of the Internet. In recent weeks, Appelbaum has repeatedly stood in for Mr. Assange in public appearances in the United States, as Assange’s safety could not be guaranteed in the wake of several embarrassing leaks of US military secrets.

Mysteriously, the officials who detained Mr. Appelbaum told him he was selected for “random screening,” even though they pressed him on WikiLeaks and members of the US Army were reportedly on hand for his questioning. He was not permitted to make any phone calls during his detention, but was eventually released. His phones were never returned.

Pentagon officials have been searching for Julian Assange for quite some time, and officials have refused to rule out “targeting” him for his role in the leaks of 92,000 documents related to the Afghan War. In an interview with Judge Andrew Napolitano on Fox Business yesterday, Assange said he was in London.

speciallyblend
08-01-2010, 08:58 PM
NEW WAR by the US GOVERNMENT, WAR ON AMERICA. i wish our military would arrest the gop/dnc and hold free and fair elections in our country! forget iraq, SAVE AMERICA and have our generals hold elections in America!!!

tangent4ronpaul
08-01-2010, 09:06 PM
:rolleyes: TOTALLY DISGUSTING!

Business as usual, I see... :mad:

-t

t0rnado
08-01-2010, 09:09 PM
OH fuck. I was at HOPE a few weeks ago. Jacob gave a talk because Assange was in hiding and couldn't come to the country.

He darted out the back while DHS agents were looking for him.

speciallyblend
08-01-2010, 09:10 PM
:rolleyes: TOTALLY DISGUSTING!

Business as usual, I see... :mad:

-t

i think these 3 letters pretty much tell it like it is! FTG

Agorism
08-01-2010, 09:10 PM
I like that Tor project. I use it to avoid getting banned on sites that have open posting.

pcosmar
08-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Tactically Stupid.

"everything we've come to expect from years of government training"

:(

angelatc
08-01-2010, 09:12 PM
OH fuck. I was at HOPE a few weeks ago. Jacob gave a talk because Assange was in hiding and couldn't come to the country.

He darted out the back while DHS agents were looking for him.

That right there is funny.

TNforPaul45
08-01-2010, 09:12 PM
NEW WAR by the US GOVERNMENT, WAR ON AMERICA. i wish our military would arrest the gop/dnc and hold free and fair elections in our country! forget iraq, SAVE AMERICA and have our generals hold elections in America!!!

As long as the GOP and DNC both hold policies of feeding money into the Millitary Industrial Complex, this will never happen.

Dissent among generals and soldiers in the millitary will be squashed the same as it is in the general public.

Those young officers who hold views to the contrary will never be promoted to a powerful position high enough to do something like this, since the power holders are almost 100% M.I.C. leaders.

speciallyblend
08-01-2010, 09:16 PM
As long as the GOP and DNC both hold policies of feeding money into the Millitary Industrial Complex, this will never happen.

Dissent among generals and soldiers in the millitary will be squashed the same as it is in the general public.

Those young officers who hold views to the contrary will never be promoted to a powerful position high enough to do something like this, since the power holders are almost 100% M.I.C. leaders.

i totally agree with you;) that is why i said I WISH!!:)

pcosmar
08-01-2010, 09:21 PM
A bit more reported here,
http://news.cnet.com/politics-and-law/?tag=contentAux;categories

Vessol
08-01-2010, 09:55 PM
If they really wanted to get rid of Wikileaks it would be a snap of their fingers. A few members commit suicide, a few die of mysterious diseases, and a few just disappear.

This sounds too obnoxious and obvious.

Agorism
08-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Assange has political capital and protection though. If he had nuke secret or something then the ante would be upped. Maybe they don't know where he is anyway. It took them years to find Saddam, and they still haven't found the other guy.

pcosmar
08-01-2010, 09:59 PM
If they really wanted to get rid of Wikileaks it would be a snap of their fingers. A few members commit suicide, a few die of mysterious diseases, and a few just disappear.

This sounds too obnoxious and obvious.

No doubt the reason for the insurance file that has been distributed. ;)

Vessol
08-01-2010, 10:01 PM
I have a hard time believing that the U.S Government can't find Assange.

Saddam I can believe. The man went into hiding within a tiny network of associates and allies, keeping on the extremely down low and hiding in fucking holes. Even then, this tiny network could not last forever and he was caught within the year. He wasn't broadcasting himself and doing interviews all the damn time like Assange and bin Laden.

Legend1104
08-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Maybe they are watching him to root out his Informants.

free1
08-01-2010, 11:11 PM
If you missed it, this jerk was on Freedom Watch and says that the guy's a terrorist!

(at about 1:45)
YouTube - Freedom Watch July 31st, 2010 - Part 3 of 5. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz7KDtEXM2s)

Sheesh! Let's label anyone / anything we don't like a terrorist!

That damn old constitution thing also gets in our way all the time, it's a terrorist document and should be banned!

And the guy never read anything, you have to wage WAR to be held for treason. WHAT A FOOL!

"Former intelligence agent" - NOT VERY INTELLIGENT!