PDA

View Full Version : Newt Gingrich expects Ron Paul to be among the candidates in 2012

MRoCkEd
07-31-2010, 04:12 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/111857-gingrich-expects-palin-to-run-for-president-in-2012

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) said Friday that he expects former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (R) to be among the crowd of GOP presidential candidates in 2012.

Gingrich, himself a potential candidate for president, sized up the field of would-be competitors, detailing which GOP politicians he expects to jump into the race.

The field Gingrich listed included: former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, Palin, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels, Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour, Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, Sen. John Thune (S.D.), and Rep. Ron Paul (Texas).

"There are going to be lots of Republicans running — Gov. Romney clearly, Gov. Palin, Gov. Huckabee, Gov. Mitch Daniels, Gov. Haley Barbour, Gov. Tim Pawlenty. I think John Thune, the senator from South Dakota, is probably going to get in. Ron Paul's probably going to run again," Gingrich said in an interview with Newsmax, a conservative magazine. "I think it's going to be a lively campaign, there'll be a lot of good candidates."

Some of the candidates Gingrich listed — like Romney and Pawlenty — have already begun to quietly organize a team to prepare for a bid to challenge President Obama. Others have taken a more unconventional route, like Palin, who's used Facebook and Twitter missives to build support among a field of conservative House and Senate candidates.

Gingrich, asked specifically about Palin, said she'd be a formidable opponent.

"I think she's already a very strong personality and has the potential to be a very strong candidate," he said.

As for his own plans, the former House speaker, who's flirted with presidential bids in previous cycles only to back out, said he'd decide on a run early next year.

"Calista and I, along with our family, will make that decision in February or March," he said. "For the moment, I'm totally focused on trying to help Republicans win the biggest possible election this fall."

brenden.b
07-31-2010, 04:27 PM
I wish Newt would just go away... This guy is nothing but trouble... For anyone who may think Newt is a good guy, go watch the series on YouTube called "The Real Newt Gingrich". It's done by the John Birch Society, which I am not personally promoting, but the information in the series is sound.

FrankRep
07-31-2010, 04:28 PM
The Real Newt Gingrich

The Real Newt Gingrich on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/6445068)

buffalokid777
07-31-2010, 04:32 PM
I hope he is right and RP runs. Because I sure could never support Newt, Romney, Palin, or the rest of the deficit increasers via warmongering.

Matt Collins
07-31-2010, 04:45 PM
If he thinks Ron is a potential opponent, then expect his rhetoric to start sounding like Ron's. I just don't understand how Newt thinks he has any credibility anymore...

brenden.b
07-31-2010, 04:55 PM
If he thinks Ron is a potential opponent, then expect his rhetoric to start sounding like Ron's. I just don't understand how Newt thinks he has any credibility anymore...

The media has given that man endless amounts of credibility...

KramerDSP
07-31-2010, 05:04 PM
I'll save you time and quote all the RP-related comments beneath the story.

I will not vote for Palin, Gingrich or Paul for President. I will vote for Romney, he knows what is needed to turn this country around. Mr. Paul is a wonderful man and he has great ideas but he will never win against the establishment of Washington so he becomes a lost vote for the republicans. Palin I believe would make a great VP and then maybe in 4 to 8 years become President. NOW she is just not ready. Mr. Gingrich should work to help Romney get elected, he has great power but he will never become President. He can't win!
BY Richard on 07/30/2010 at 12:38

The new memo - "Paul's awesome and has some great ideas, but he'll never win, so let's play their game and continue to vote for the lesser of two evils".

Ron Paul will not run …
BY allan on 07/30/2010 at 13:48

Vote Ron Paul 2012!! That's some real change you can believe in.
BY Darren Johnson on 07/30/2010 at 14:06

Romney and Hucksterbee? If those two get the position, this country is doomed. Paul-Palin 2012. Whoever runs under R will win hands down in 2012… you think over 50% will want anything to do with the failures in office at this time? We could run a toenail against BO&B and win.
BY Leftsmack on 07/30/2010 at 14:44

Character, honesty, leadership, responsibility, conviction, vision, patriotism, duty. No name mentioned from either side embodies these qualities. This is what citizens want in a president.
BY Citizen on 07/30/2010 at 15:33

Forgetting someone? :rolleyes:

I don't think Palin will run. If she's still a viable media star in '12, she'll probably prefer to keep doing that and if she's played out she probably won't be able to get up the steam.

As a Dem, I hope Palin runs. After her, Paul, then Gingrich. Romney is the strongest candidate IMO. But unless some impressive GOP dark horse appears, or there's some disaster, Obama is going to get another term.
BY Horatio on 07/30/2010 at 16:21

NEWT IS AN OLD,TIRED RETREAD.ROMNEY IS A STEALTH DEMOCRAT.THE REST OF THE GOP(EXCEPT SARAH AND RON)ARE RINOS OR BORING.PAUL AND PALIN ARE EXCITING AND UNLIKE THE OTHERS HAVE BEEN OPROVEN CORRECT AGAIN AND AGAIN…
BY ROBERT M. SIMON on 07/30/2010 at 17:08

OBAMA WINNING A 2ND TERM?ONLY IF THE GOP NOMINATES SOMEONE BESIDES PALIN OR PAUL…GINGRICH OR ROMNEY WOULD BE A DISASTER…
BY ROBERT M. SIMON on 07/30/2010 at 17:13

Of course Sarah Palin will be running for the Republican Nomination. She will win too. She's been running since McCain chose her to be his VP. The MSM didn't let her run for VP. She's been running ever since. She will win the nomination and the Presidency. I absolutley guarantee it. I am sick and tired of all of you who will refuse to vote for her if she is the pick. The goal is to get rid of Obama. Period. If somehow she isn't the nomimee, I will vote for whoever is the nominee - Romney, Gingrich, Paul, a Ham Sandwich. ABO - Anybody But Obama. That's the goal.
BY Michelle on 07/30/2010 at 18:30

If the mantra holds of "Anybody But Obama" holds, and Paul gains enough momentum and support, who knows what could happen. There's a lot of pro-Palin comments beneath the story, though.

Imaginos
07-31-2010, 05:14 PM
I hope everyone Newt mentioned run in 2012.
Not only them but I also want every single one of the neocon politicians in Washington, D.C. run in 2012.
More neocons run, they will split their voting base (neocon voters) and create better chance for Ron Paul.
Maybe we should start a movement to encourage all the other neocons to run in 2012 race.
Let our enemies destroy each other!
That'd make our ultimate task (to elect Ron Paul) much easier.

libertybrewcity
07-31-2010, 05:29 PM
I hope everyone Newt mentioned run in 2012.
Not only them but I also want every single one of the neocon politicians in Washington, D.C. run in 2012.
More neocons run, they will split their voting base (neocon voters) and create better chance for Ron Paul.
Maybe we should start a movement to encourage all the other neocons to run in 2012 race.
Let our enemies destroy each other!
That'd make our ultimate task (to elect Ron Paul) much easier.

Yes, but then they drop out and endorse one another giving the top tier candidates clout and votes.

t0rnado
07-31-2010, 05:33 PM
Yes, but then they drop out and endorse one another giving the top tier candidates clout and votes.

Most of them will stick around for Iowa and New Hampshire though. We'll have to try to win the early primaries in which the field of candidates is large.

kahless
07-31-2010, 08:22 PM
In the past there have been very few places that your every day Republicans get thier news and unfortunately FNC has been their main souce. FNC, especially in that 9 - 11pm hour is pushing Newt Gingrich heavily. I suspect this will be a major problem, despite the more people turning towards the internet and being wise to what this fraudlent clown is really all about.

Kregisen
07-31-2010, 08:38 PM
Most of them will stick around for Iowa and New Hampshire though. We'll have to try to win the early primaries in which the field of candidates is large.

+1 the first primaries are what matter....if Ron could somehow manage a win or 2nd place in Iowa or New Hampshire then people will take him seriously and look him up.

The more people in the race from the start, the better. (even though most will just drop out eventually and endorse eachother)

SWATH
07-31-2010, 09:12 PM
The next time somebody takes the position of "Newt, Romney, Huckabee, anybody but Obama" remind them that they are exactly where they are wanted by the establishment with this Carrol Quigley quote:

"The argument that the two parties should represent opposed ideals and policies, one, perhaps, of the Right and the other of the Left, is a foolish idea acceptable only to the doctrinaire and academic thinkers. Instead, the two parties should be almost identical, so that the American people can "throw the rascals out" at any election without leading to any profound or extreme shifts in policy."