PDA

View Full Version : Wikileaks now has an encrypted 1.4 GB "insurance" file

Depressed Liberator
07-30-2010, 09:39 PM
http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Afghan_War_Diary,_2004-2010

Who knows what's inside... Most are suspecting that it's there in case Assange, the site's creator, is taken into custody. A few people probably have the password to it.

charrob
07-30-2010, 09:48 PM
http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Afghan_War_Diary,_2004-2010

Who knows what's inside... Most are suspecting that it's there in case Assange, the site's creator, is taken into custody. A few people probably have the password to it.

do you mean the documents released last Sunday? -you can just download them from the site; you don't need a password.

Dr.3D
07-30-2010, 09:49 PM
do you mean the documents released last Sunday? -you can just download them from the site; you don't need a password.

I would have to suspect it is something in reserve that the Gov wouldn't want to get out. Probably so in the event something happens to the guy, it can be released.

libertybrewcity
07-30-2010, 09:50 PM
These documents are probably circulating on so many hard drives by now, there is no way to ever control the war diary proliferation.

charrob
07-30-2010, 09:51 PM
I would have to suspect it is something in reserve that the Gov wouldn't want to get out. Probably so in the event something happens to the guy, it can be released.

what do you mean? :confused:

libertybrewcity
07-30-2010, 09:51 PM

That would be awesome if their was a leak about some assassination plot or something against Assange. not awesome in a get back at the government way.

specsaregood
07-30-2010, 09:54 PM

No, on the download page there is a new entry at the bottom. It is titled: "insurance file" it is much, much bigger than the other files and encrypted.

Dr.3D
07-30-2010, 09:56 PM
what do you mean? :confused:

If something happens to Assange, the file would then be disclosed to the public.

This file must have some pretty incriminating stuff in it. Perhaps worse than what has already be divulged.

The idea would be that many people can now download the file. Just given the password, it would then be open to the public.

charrob
07-30-2010, 09:57 PM
No, on the download page there is a new entry at the bottom. It is titled: "insurance file" it is much, much bigger than the other files and encrypted.

thanks.

t0rnado
07-30-2010, 09:57 PM
The huge file, posted on the Afghan War page at the WikiLeaks site, is 1.4 GB and is encrypted with AES256. The file’s size dwarfs the size of all the other files on the page combined. The file has also been posted on a torrent download site as well.

WikiLeaks, on Sunday, posted several files containing the 77,000 Afghan war documents in a single “dump” file and in several other files containing versions of the documents in various searchable formats.

Cryptome, a separate secret-spilling site, has speculated that the file may have been posted as insurance in case something happens to the WikiLeaks website or to the organization’s founder, Julian Assange. In either scenario, WikiLeaks volunteers, under a prearranged agreement with Assange, could send out a password or passphrase to allow anyone who has downloaded the file to open it.

It’s not known what the file contains but it could include the balance of data that U.S. Army intelligence analyst Bradley Manning claimed to have leaked to Assange before he was arrested in May.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/07/wikileaks-insurance-file/

It's not the Afghan War Log which was substantially less than 1.4GB. It's a cache of unknown files. Could be a bluff though.

Dr.3D
07-30-2010, 09:59 PM
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/07/wikileaks-insurance-file/

It's not the Afghan War Log which was substantially less than 1.4GB. It's a cache of unknown files. Could be a bluff though.

Thing is, do those who would do something to Assange, want to call that bluff?

Mini-Me
07-30-2010, 10:00 PM

That is an incredibly clever use of blackmail. This guy is definitely playing with fire now. I wonder if he's bluffing, or if it's actually something seriously damning (that is, more so than usual).

EDIT: Hah...given the fact that several people in this thread are wondering the same thing, I imagine a few guys at the CIA are sitting around asking themselves the same question.

libertybrewcity
07-30-2010, 10:03 PM

i have a feeling the government could easily hack into the file if they wanted to.

t0rnado
07-30-2010, 10:04 PM

I don't even this they'd have to go that far. Even though I think the government is pretty incompetent, AES256 has vulnerabilities and it may be possible for the NSA to decrypt the file.

Then again, I'm sure Wikileaks already planned on releasing info if Assange was shot or something. This insurance file on the site just sends a message to the government.

Baptist
07-30-2010, 10:06 PM
This guy is either a CIA asset, or he is 100% the read deal bonafide hacker turned free press dude. Either way, my money says that there is some narley stuff in the 1.4gb file. If I were to guess, it is 100x worse than anything we've seen. Seriously guys, our empire is wicked. If the public knew 1% of what we are doing overseas..... I'm sure Wikileaks has a lot of stuff on their hands.

Dr.3D
07-30-2010, 10:08 PM
i have a feeling the government could easily hack into the file if they wanted to.
Well, if it is authentic and not a bluff, it wouldn't matter much if they did.

Since people can now download the entire file and wait for the password, it wouldn't do them much good other than knowing it is an authentic threat.

It would be the level of encryption that would cost them enough time to decode it that could be the big factor here.

Dr.3D
07-30-2010, 10:11 PM
You can bet all of the IP addresses of those who download that file are being recorded.

free1
07-30-2010, 10:14 PM
I don't even this they'd have to go that far. Even though I think the government is pretty incompetent, AES256 has vulnerabilities and it may be possible for the NSA to decrypt the file.
Isn't that the point?

If they decrypt it and find out it has some really "bad" stuff in it, they won't touch the guy because they know that the password would then be released.

So it's probably not a bluff.

You can bet there's joe six pack in his basement with his 100 PS3's networked already working on decrypting it. So the clock is ticking on it's public release anyway.

Then again, maybe it will backfire when someone figures out the password and posts it, then it's no longer "insurance".

Depressed Liberator
07-30-2010, 10:23 PM
I doubt this thing could be decrypted by just anyone, otherwise they probably would have not just released it... This is really interesting though. I would suspect that the stuff in there is also stuff he hasn't gone all the way through to verify, and stuff he's been saving. If anuses had doors and everyone in the government had them, they would probably be blown wide open if this stuff gets out.

tpreitzel
07-30-2010, 10:23 PM
It could be a not so subtle message to governments that WikiLeaks has even more damning material beyond the "insurance" file. I suspect WikiLeaks released this "insurance" file knowing and expecting that some government would eventually decrypt it. "See what we have for teasers?" Who knows for sure?

Direct link to torrent which bypasses the WikiLeaks website? TIA

t0rnado
07-30-2010, 10:28 PM
Isn't that the point?

If they decrypt it and find out it has some really "bad" stuff in it, they won't touch the guy because they know that the password would then be released.

You can bet there's joe six pack in his basement with his 100 PS3's networked already working on decrypting it. So the clock is ticking on it's public release anyway.

Then again, maybe it will backfire when someone figures out the password and posts it, then it's no longer "insurance".

Simply using bruteforce attacks against AES256 would take years depending upon the length of the password, so the government would have to resort to other attacks.

The government acts pretty irrationally. If they figure that he'll release the info anyways, they might do something just to make a point.

Dr.3D
07-30-2010, 10:33 PM
Direct link to torrent which bypasses the WikiLeaks website? TIA

That file should be on multiple sites by now. If it isn't, then concerned people with internet sites need to get cracking. It would be much harder for the government to track a multitude of sites rather than just one.

free1
07-30-2010, 10:34 PM
If anuses had doors and everyone in the government had them, they would probably be blown wide open if this stuff gets out.
More reason to set up that PS3 cluster you've been thinking about.

It looks something like this:
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/12/30/researchers-use-ps3-cluster-to-reveal-internet-security-flaw/

Mini-Me
07-30-2010, 10:40 PM
Isn't that the point?

I might agree with the "isn't that the point?" comment, except there's always a chance that he's actually bluffing and putting all of his eggs in the "nobody can crack it" basket.

Even with 100 PS3's or the entire might of the NSA, I'm not sure if that file will be possible to crack. As far as I know, all of AES's known vulnerabilities revolve around a.) flawed/buggy implementations, b.) reduced versions of the algorithm (e.g. 11 rounds as opposed to the full 14), or c.) side channel attacks. AFAIK, the PS3 cluster was used to crack encryption that fell under category a.

Of course, it's likely that Assange wants the government to know what's in the file [if he's not bluffing], but deliberately introducing weaknesses in the encryption would be a poor way of doing so (since someone else might then crack it, reveal it, and destroy his leverage).

Anyway, I doubt they're using a flawed/buggy implementation or reduced version of the algorithm for such an important file. Since no keys are being exchanged and attackers probably don't have access to a computer with the secret key (to analyze internal state, etc.), the best side channel attack is probably the $2 wrench attack.

Unless Assange already let the government know what's in the file (or unless he's a gatekeeper anyway), he'd better hope he's hiding his friends [who have the key] carefully. Actually, he'd better hope he's hiding them carefully anyway.

Carson
07-30-2010, 11:26 PM
Bold American.

Depressed Liberator
07-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Bold American.

Except he's Australian :D

Dr.3D
07-30-2010, 11:32 PM
LOL, that file could be just a lot of garbage that was then encrypted. If that is the case, then even with the correct password, it would appear to not have been decrypted correctly.

That would be the ultimate bluff tool.

daviddee
07-30-2010, 11:39 PM

fletcher
07-30-2010, 11:41 PM
Cracked it. Wasn't that hard.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Can't believe who actually killed Kennedy...

Mini-Me
07-30-2010, 11:46 PM
Cracked it. Wasn't that hard.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Can't believe who actually killed Kennedy...

Hey, no fair: You left out half the key (I'm assuming he's using 256 bits)! ;)

Rael
07-30-2010, 11:46 PM
They won't touch him. It would be too obvious. Instead they will try to discredit him.

Depressed Liberator
07-31-2010, 12:24 AM
They won't touch him. It would be too obvious. Instead they will try to discredit him.

No need to worry, the media is already on it.

RoamZero
07-31-2010, 01:23 AM
I dont understand. If the encrypted file is incredibly important/incriminating, why don't they just release it? It's not like Assange didn't know the risks involved by becoming Wikileaks' public front-man when he came forward. It seems to go against the spirit of the site.

WaltM
07-31-2010, 01:24 AM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/security.png

nate895
07-31-2010, 01:28 AM
I dont understand. If the encrypted file is incredibly important/incriminating, why don't they just release it? It's not like Assange didn't know the risks involved by becoming Wikileaks' public front-man when he came forward. It seems to go against the spirit of the site.

Personally, I like the drama. It's like watching a spy thriller in real life. Furthermore, I don't think you can blame him for trying to protect his life, liberty, and property by whatever means necessary.

Finally, something we can agree on.

Mini-Me
07-31-2010, 01:30 AM

I was off by $3. I must have been thinking of discount wrenches. ;)

Mini-Me
07-31-2010, 01:35 AM

Unless it's a bluff (or he's a gatekeeper anyway), an "insurance file" is probably the equivalent of a nuclear option: If it's really that bad and he releases it, all hell will break loose. Wikileaks will probably face the full wrath of government and be done for, and the same will go for his life and future. If he keeps it as blackmail instead, the government may be cowed into letting him continue to release lesser bombshells for years to come. Of course, the beauty of it is that he could be bluffing entirely. Then again, as others have suggested, it could even be something very specific to him, like a leak of specific plans to destroy him or Wikileaks...but given the filesize, I highly doubt it.

paulim
07-31-2010, 03:10 AM
Could be the 260 000 super secret files, which Manning told to have sent to WL, although WL denied it initially.

He said something like: These files show the whole extend of how the west exploits the region

tangent4ronpaul
07-31-2010, 07:06 AM
I have it on good authority that the file contains 60,000 copies of a xerox of his butt. :D

The steganography in those images, however, contains all the minutes of the CFR, the Bilderbergs and Skull and Bones...

-t

Carson
07-31-2010, 07:20 AM
Except he's Australian :D

I suppose he should keep an eye out for those unmanned, remote control, borderless killing machines...

accepting for the insurance..

coastie
07-31-2010, 07:21 AM

There's no way the .gov only paid $5 for that wrench. It had to cost at least $75 for it.

pcosmar
07-31-2010, 07:30 AM
YouTube - JFK Secret Society Speech Re-edit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS7l6i4w11U)

IF, He has a file the government already KNOWS what is on it. Likely a secret they don't want known.

Personally I applaud Wikileaks. They are doing what the MSM should be doing, but won't.

Baptist
07-31-2010, 08:16 AM
Good short documentary on Wikileaks/Assang

youtube.com/watch?v=kCmjmDXp7TI&feature=player_embedded

YouTube - Wikileaks - Iceland (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCmjmDXp7TI&feature=player_embedded)

charrob
07-31-2010, 10:21 AM
Good short documentary on Wikileaks/Assang

YouTube - Wikileaks - Iceland (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCmjmDXp7TI)

that was great...thank you! :)

Baptist
07-31-2010, 10:40 AM
that was great...thank you! :)

Those guys make some good flicks. If you're ever bored check out their channel.

charrob
07-31-2010, 12:05 PM
Those guys make some good flicks. If you're ever bored check out their channel.

thank you, i will! :)

buffalokid777
07-31-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm betting one of the things is this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/jun/16/wikileaks-us-military-afghanistan-garani

The whistleblowing website WikiLeaks says it plans to release a secret military video of one of the deadliest US air strikes in Afghanistan in which scores of children are believed to have been killed.

WikiLeaks announced the move in an email to supporters. It said it fears it is under attack after the US authorities said they were searching for the site's founder, Julian Assange, following the arrest of a US soldier accused of leaking the Afghanistan video and another of a US attack in Baghdad in which civilians were killed.

WikiLeaks released the Baghdad video in April, prompting considerable criticism of the US military. It says it is still working to prepare the film of the bombing of the Afghan village of Garani in May 2009.

The Afghan government said about 140 civilians were killed in Garani, including 92 children. The US military initially said that up to 95 people died, of which about 65 were insurgents. However, American officials have since wavered on that claim and a subsequent investigation admitted mistakes were made during the attack.

The video could prove to be extremely embarrassing to the US military and risks weakening Afghan support. The US said it was targeting Taliban positions when it used weapons that create casualties over a wide area, including one-tonne bombs and others that burst in the air. But two US military officials told a newspaper last year that no one checked to see whether there were women and children in the buildings.

I remember reading one of the things that held up the release of the helicopter attack against the journalists in Iraq, was breaking the decryption on the video. I bet the Garani attack video is one of the things on that file.

freshjiva
07-31-2010, 02:36 PM
You can bet all of the IP addresses of those who download that file are being recorded.

Haha, let them. By now, there are probably millions of people who have copied and redistributed the files. I downloaded the files from Wikileaks when the news originally broke over 8 days ago chillin' on my flash jump drive. To make sure no NSA/CIA operative could possibly corrupt it remotely, I have it connected to a computer with zero internet connectivity :D

devil21
07-31-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm betting one of the things is this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/jun/16/wikileaks-us-military-afghanistan-garani

I remember reading one of the things that held up the release of the helicopter attack against the journalists in Iraq, was breaking the decryption on the video. I bet the Garani attack video is one of the things on that file.

Naaa. Killing brown kids doesn't phase Americans anymore. If it's legit it's gotta be something huge. First thing that crossed my mind was 9/11, though it's probably not that. There's not much bigger that would turn the country (world?) upside down than a huge archive of 9/11-inside-job documents. Oh well we can speculate but I doubt the contents will come out.

Check out the file path for all those docs: /straw-glass-and-bottle/
That's gotta mean something.

buffalokid777
07-31-2010, 04:10 PM
Naaa. Killing brown kids doesn't phase Americans anymore. If it's legit it's gotta be something huge. First thing that crossed my mind was 9/11, though it's probably not that. There's not much bigger that would turn the country (world?) upside down than a huge archive of 9/11-inside-job documents. Oh well we can speculate but I doubt the contents will come out.

Check out the file path for all those docs: /straw-glass-and-bottle/
That's gotta mean something.

I think it's it because they already announced they were gonna release it but haven't yet.

They don't want Afghanistan to turn into a modern Nam with the baby killer label on the war effort, the Iraq tape was pretty damning on the reuters reporters execution.

I am sure a similar tape of soldiers laughing at dead children they blew up would be even worse.

Teaser Rate
07-31-2010, 04:23 PM
YouTube - JFK Secret Society Speech Re-edit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS7l6i4w11U)

IF, He has a file the government already KNOWS what is on it. Likely a secret they don't want known.

Personally I applaud Wikileaks. They are doing what the MSM should be doing, but won't.

What does the threat of Soviet infiltration have to do with Wikileaks ?

The speech you quoted was edited in a very deceitful manner which makes the listener believe that JFK was talking about the Illuminati instead of the Soviet Union.

You can read and listen to the full speech here. (http://www.jfklibrary.org/Historical+Resources/Archives/Reference+Desk/Speeches/JFK/003POF03NewspaperPublishers04271961.htm)

pcosmar
07-31-2010, 04:43 PM
What does the threat of Soviet infiltration have to do with Wikileaks ?

The speech you quoted was edited in a very deceitful manner which makes the listener believe that JFK was talking about the Illuminati instead of the Soviet Union.

You can read and listen to the full speech here. (http://www.jfklibrary.org/Historical+Resources/Archives/Reference+Desk/Speeches/JFK/003POF03NewspaperPublishers04271961.htm)

:confused:
The socialists/communists are the ones in control of this country today. The same secret societies he spoke of are still in existence and in positions of power.
That speech was to journalists. It applies quite well to the Wikileaks publication.

The President and the Press: Address before the American Newspaper Publishers Association

And the speech was about the Freedom of the Press and Transparency in Government.

Teaser Rate
07-31-2010, 04:51 PM
:confused:
The socialists/communists are the ones in control of this country today. The same secret societies he spoke of are still in existence and in positions of power.
That speech was to journalists. It applies quite well to the Wikileaks publication.

And the speech was about the Freedom of the Press and Transparency in Government.

Um, no, they aren't. Large corporate interests who use their resources to co-opt government representatives into passing favorable legislation are running the show, not former Soviet spies.

Listen to the full speech, he did not talk about secret societies, he talked about how the Soviet Union was a closed society and how the press should help him deal with their threats.

Baptist
07-31-2010, 04:55 PM
Yeah, taking things out of context discredits the truth movement. The JKF speech was talking about Communists... basically = McCarthy was right. JFK was not talking about the Illuminati and Bilderbergs.

pcosmar
07-31-2010, 05:03 PM
Um, no, they aren't. Large corporate interests who use their resources to co-opt government representatives into passing favorable legislation are running the show, not former Soviet spies.

Listen to the full speech, he did not talk about secret societies, he talked about how the Soviet Union was a closed society and how the press should help him deal with their threats.

You listen to it. I have, several times over the last 50 years.

The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths and to secret proceedings. We decided long ago that the dangers of excessive and unwarranted concealment of pertinent facts far outweighed the dangers which are cited to justify it. Even today, there is little value in opposing the threat of a closed society by imitating its arbitrary restrictions. Even today, there is little value in insuring the survival of our nation if our traditions do not survive with it. And there is very grave danger that an announced need for increased security will be seized upon by those anxious to expand its meaning to the very limits of official censorship and concealment. That I do not intend to permit to the extent that it is in my control. And no official of my Administration, whether his rank is high or low, civilian or military, should interpret my words here tonight as an excuse to censor the news, to stifle dissent, to cover up our mistakes or to withhold from the press and the public the facts they deserve to know.
First, I never said anything about "illuminati" Bilderburgs, G20. UN or any other entity.
That was your injection. I like this cut of the speech because it deals with the issue at hand.
And the whole recording is a bit long.
At this same time people were warning about communists in our government. They are still there and now this country is closer to the Soviet Union than Russia is.

btw they are called Fabian Socalists. They are still active, and they are still here.

The Wikileaks exposure of Government incompetence and lies is still in the highest order of good journalism.

Rael
07-31-2010, 05:04 PM
It's probably a bluff or at most something along similar lines to the previous leak.

JK/SEA
07-31-2010, 05:11 PM
So who do you think should play Assange in the movie?...

buffalokid777
07-31-2010, 05:15 PM
So who do you think should play Assange in the movie?...

I would go Andy Warhol if he was still alive, but since he isn't I would go David Spade if you dyed his hair grey.

tjeffersonsghost
07-31-2010, 05:30 PM
Naaa. Killing brown kids doesn't phase Americans anymore. If it's legit it's gotta be something huge .

Correct.

buffalokid777
07-31-2010, 05:34 PM
Correct.

I think you are wrong, I think 90 innocent children getting killed in a mass bombing might make a difference.

tjeffersonsghost
07-31-2010, 05:38 PM
I think you are wrong, I think 90 innocent children getting killed in a mass bombing might make a difference.

Innocents getting killed is already in the first open doc he released. A lot of the innocents werent even reported on by the government. America right now doesnt care about the innocent browns getting killed, dancing with the stars is on TV ya know...

That being said I wonder if the script kiddies will be out in full force trying to crack this with their 512 HD :)

angelatc
07-31-2010, 05:52 PM

According to the interview Assange did with AntiWar.com, the stuff that Manning released created a flood of additional documents from other informants. They have a huge backlog to go through.

I guess it's the type of work one can't just hire temps for. :)

tjeffersonsghost
07-31-2010, 05:53 PM
Ive got great news... After a few hours of my comps working in tandem Ive got the first 9 digits..

R0nP4vL4p

WHAT COULD THE PW BE!! Give me a few more hours Ill have it :)

devil21
07-31-2010, 06:11 PM

It would make a difference, sure. Would that be a big enough bombshell on the Feds to act as an insurance policy for Assange's life? Not in my book. It's gotta be something huge and it's gotta be something the Feds already know he has. eta: At 1.4gb its probably a whole shitload of state secrets. I doubt one single issue could take up that much space.

(again, assuming it's legit and not a bluff or Assange isn't an asset himself)

Vessol
07-31-2010, 06:12 PM
I wonder if there is any evidence showing that Assange could be cointelpro.

tjeffersonsghost
07-31-2010, 06:18 PM
I wonder if there is any evidence showing that Assange could be cointelpro.

My initial thought was he was a front for MI6. The fact that he put this file out there and didnt advertise that he did it tells me otherwise.

Baptist
08-01-2010, 09:53 AM
bump

HOLLYWOOD
08-01-2010, 11:11 AM

Well it would be a scrimmage game for Obama/FEDS new law... even if it's foreigners :rolleyes:

Rising Fascism: Obama’s Assassination Program Against US Citizen Without Due Process! (http://socioecohistory.wordpress.com/2010/07/07/rising-fascism-obamas-assassination-program-against-us-citizen-without-due-process/)

charrob
08-01-2010, 01:03 PM

just posted part of this on another thread but it is applicable here as well since it shows there was a 2nd "top secret" computer system Manning had access to as well, and so far no "top secret" stuff has been published:

Washington fears it may have lost even more highly sensitive material including an archive of tens of thousands of cable messages sent by US embassies around the world, reflecting arms deals, trade talks, secret meetings and uncensored opinion of other governments.

He described how his job gave him access to two secret networks: the Secret Internet Protocol Router Network, SIPRNET, which carries US diplomatic and military intelligence classified "secret"; and the Joint Worldwide Intelligence Communications System which uses a different security system to carry similar material classified up to "top secret". He said this had allowed him to see "incredible things, awful things … that belong in the public domain and not on some server stored in a dark room in Washington DC … almost criminal political backdealings … the non-PR version of world events and crises."

Bradass87 suggested that "someone I know intimately" had been downloading and compressing and encrypting all this data and uploading it to someone he identified as Julian Assange. At times, he claimed he himself had leaked the material, suggesting that he had taken in blank CDs, labelled as Lady Gaga's music, slotted them into his high-security laptop and lip-synched to nonexistent music to cover his downloading: "i want people to see the truth," he said.

He dwelled on the abundance of the disclosure: "its open diplomacy … its Climategate with a global scope and breathtaking depth … its beautiful and horrifying … It's public data, it belongs in the public domain." At one point, Bradass87 caught himself and said: "i can't believe what im confessing to you." It was too late. Unknown to him, two days into their exchange, on 23 May, Lamo had contacted the US military. On 25 May he met officers from the Pentagon's criminal investigations department in a Starbucks and gave them a printout of Bradass87's online chat.

On 26 May, at US Forward Operating Base Hammer, 25 miles outside Baghdad, a 22-year-old intelligence analyst named Bradley Manning was arrested, shipped across the border to Kuwait and locked up in a military prison.

News of the arrest leaked out slowly, primarily through Wired News, whose senior editor, Kevin Poulsen, is a friend of Lamo's and who published edited extracts from Bradass87's chatlogs. Pressure started to build on Assange: the Pentagon said formally that it would like to find him; Daniel Ellsberg, who leaked the Pentagon Papers, said he thought Assange could be in some physical danger; Ellsberg and two other former whistleblowers warned that US agencies would "do all possible to make an example" of the Wikileaks founder. Assange cancelled a planned trip to Las Vegas and went to ground.

Today's stories are based on that batch of logs. Wikileaks has simultaneously published much of the raw data. It says it has been careful to weed out material which could jeopardise human sources.

Since the release of the Apache helicopter video, there has been some evidence of low-level attempts to smear Wikileaks. Online stories accuse Assange of spending Wikileaks money on expensive hotels (at a follow-up meeting in Stockholm, he slept on an office floor); of selling data to mainstream media (the subject of money was never mentioned); or charging for media interviews (also never mentioned).

Earlier this year, Wikileaks published a US military document which disclosed a plan to "destroy the centre of gravity" of Wikileaks by attacking its trustworthiness.

Ellsberg has described Manning as "a new hero of mine". In his online chat, Bradass87 looked into the future: "god knows what happens now … hopefully, worldwide discussion, debates and reforms. if not … we're doomed."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/25/wikileaks-war-logs-back-story

Dr.3D
08-01-2010, 01:11 PM
What's to say the government didn't plant a bunch of false information, knowing it would be compromised? This way, they could get exactly 180 degree results from those who would read it in the future?

This type of thing has worked quite well in the past.

I seem to recall a case where a dead body washed up on shore with a lot of "secret" documents on it, this was planned, knowing it would fall into enemy hands. After the enemy had that false information, it was easy to get them to look in the opposite direction from what was about to actually happen.

Vessol
08-01-2010, 01:16 PM
You know, if they really wanted to get this stuff out there. They should just upload all the files they receive right away.

Don't go through "authenticating" or "formatting" like they said they did with these files. Let all the raw data speak for itself and let others do all that busywork.

Then wikileaks budget would be tiny.

charrob
08-01-2010, 01:34 PM
What's to say the government didn't plant a bunch of false information, knowing it would be compromised? This way, they could get exactly 180 degree results from those who would read it in the future?

I seem to recall a case where a dead body washed up on shore with a lot of "secret" documents on it, this was planned, knowing it would fall into enemy hands. After the enemy had that false information, it was easy to get them to look in the opposite direction from what was about to actually happen.

i've been playing with that idea over and over too. But after downloading the reports and looking thru them, so far all i've seen are low-level field incidents-- no strategy either way. (It just shows the numbers of people who have been killed, when there was an attack, etc.) So a conspiracy, at least with the data published so far, doesn't seem to be logical.

Kludge
08-01-2010, 01:39 PM
I don't understand why Wikileaks didn't host a .torrent of this instead of directly serving the file to every single person requesting it. They've done it before with far smaller files. Seems like a silly strain on their already-overloaded server.

heavenlyboy34
08-01-2010, 01:43 PM
I don't understand why Wikileaks didn't host a .torrent of this instead of directly serving the file to every single person requesting it. They've done it before with far smaller files. Seems like a silly strain on their already-overloaded server.

If I understand Julian correctly, he's proceeding in this matter in order to be as accurate as possible. He also redacts info that could put lives at risk. Keeping that "file bomb" secret also seems to serve as a disincentive to nosy government officials.

t0rnado
08-01-2010, 01:50 PM
You know, if they really wanted to get this stuff out there. They should just upload all the files they receive right away.

Don't go through "authenticating" or "formatting" like they said they did with these files. Let all the raw data speak for itself and let others do all that busywork.

Then wikileaks budget would be tiny.

Anyone could just create a site that would allow people to anonymously upload documents. There would be thousands of fake documents for every real document. Wikileaks verifies all the documents it receives and releases authentic documents.

It would be like a newspaper publishing all the tips it received. That would be stupid.

Kludge
08-01-2010, 01:50 PM
If I understand Julian correctly, he's proceeding in this matter in order to be as accurate as possible. He also redacts info that could put lives at risk. Keeping that "file bomb" secret also seems to serve as a disincentive to nosy government officials.

I'm not saying he should give the code to decrypt it - I just don't understand why he doesn't have a 1kb .torrent with a checksum on his server instead of a 1.4gb file which could be more easily compromised by hackers, and will likely be uploaded at a far slower pace.

specsaregood
08-01-2010, 02:10 PM

It is also a common tactic of discovering where the leaks are coming from.

lester1/2jr
08-01-2010, 03:28 PM
haha. don't fuck with wikileaks

RCA
08-01-2010, 06:09 PM
From the Cryptome website:

"Cryptome: Got the insurance file open by changing the extension to .TXT, then loading in Firefox. No header. The first and only word is "Salted." The file might be junk, or the family jewels."

Alex Jones and John Young on the Wikileaks documents:

YouTube - John Young: Wikileaks War Logs Show Global Intelligence Facade Of 'War On Terror' Alex Jones Tv 1/2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70pmhZHy6eQ&feature=player_embedded)

YouTube - John Young: Wikileaks War Logs Show Global Intelligence Facade Of 'War On Terror' Alex Jones Tv 2/2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3XE448dfXA&feature=player_embedded)

Peace&Freedom
08-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Hmmm, what if the insurance file is a gigantic archive of passwords, with corresponding urls to hundreds of other big encrypted files on different offshore servers, filled with data incriminating the government?

Reason
08-02-2010, 12:43 AM
This video sums up my opinions on the wikileaks leak pretty damn well...

YouTube - SA@TAC - Obama is a Threat to National Security (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXzzYBhOi4E)

teacherone
08-02-2010, 06:05 AM
anybody crack this thing yet?

Kludge
08-02-2010, 09:53 AM
anybody crack this thing yet?

It'd be incredible if it were. As far as I know, AES-256 encryption has never before been cracked.

brandon
08-02-2010, 10:07 AM
In for updates in a very interesting thread. I'll try to crack it tonight. :)

charrob
08-02-2010, 10:26 AM
This video sums up my opinions on the wikileaks leak pretty damn well...

thanks for sharing...

jake
08-02-2010, 10:31 AM
In for updates in a very interesting thread. I'll try to crack it tonight. :)

sarcasm?

Bern
08-02-2010, 10:43 AM
I'm pretty certain that the file, when cracked, will reveal a stream of zeros and ones.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
08-02-2010, 10:44 AM
AES-256 encryption??? LOL good luck to anybody trying to crack that shit. Unless you have a few supercomputers at your disposal maybe.

Man, this dude is pure. g.a.n.g.s.t.e.r. I hope he isnt just a CIA misinformation-ist.

brandon
08-02-2010, 11:27 AM
sarcasm?

No I was being serious. I don't plan on succeeding though. Just trying. :)

Baptist
08-03-2010, 11:04 AM
New Journeyman Pictures video.
No Part 2, they want you to pay for it.

YouTube - Inside Wikileaks - UK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEzAIEKr9Jo)

Baptist
08-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Maybe the file contains proof that Obama is not a citizen.

TheeJoeGlass
08-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Well we already know that the State Departments cables are in there. Those are supposed to get Hillary in trouble:rolleyes:

YumYum
08-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Israel will crack it.

Is AES Software Encryption Breakable?

: "A team of researchers has discovered what they think could be a flaw that leaves AES encryption open to attack. The technique has only been shown in a theoretical setting; in practice, such a hack would be very difficult to pull off. Still, such a finding could bring into question the faith that's been placed in AES — and spur new innovation to make encryption even better.

Governments and businesses place a great deal of faith in the belief that AES is so secure that its security key can never be broken. However, a team of researchers from Germany, France and Israel has recently demonstrated what may be an inherent flaw in AES -- theoretically, at least."

read more...
http://ciphertex.com/news/CiphertexArticle

Rael
08-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Israel will crack it.

: "A team of researchers has discovered what they think could be a flaw that leaves AES encryption open to attack. The technique has only been shown in a theoretical setting; in practice, such a hack would be very difficult to pull off. Still, such a finding could bring into question the faith that's been placed in AES — and spur new innovation to make encryption even better.

Governments and businesses place a great deal of faith in the belief that AES is so secure that its security key can never be broken. However, a team of researchers from Germany, France and Israel has recently demonstrated what may be an inherent flaw in AES -- theoretically, at least."

read more...

The article mentions several times that AES is save to use and is only vulnerable in theory.

t0rnado
08-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Israel will crack it.

read more...

No, that's an attack that could work in theory just as a brute force attack, in theory, should crack the encryption. Practically, it's a bit of a problem because it would take decades to do.

pcosmar
08-06-2010, 04:58 PM
I had a fantasy about this,,

,,,Not only is the file real, and an assortment of very political, career Killing, information ,,
Lies , Corruption, Criminal activities Fraud and Murder. As well as any and all personal "indiscretions".

Now,,Upon triggering the "Insurance Policy",,as well as the wide spread release of the "Key" on the web,,,It would be sent specifically to certain people of influence (implicated in the data) but also to all of their political enemies, The media,
With the instructions,,
Tell The Truth

:)

hey,,it's a nice fantasy, and it's mine.
:cool: