PDA

View Full Version : MSNBC Morning Joe: Time Magazine jumped the shark this morning

Cowlesy
07-29-2010, 06:06 AM
Did anyone else hear the Managing Editor of Time Magazine this morning speaking about their new issue with a cover of a young Afghan woman that had her nose/ears cut-off by the Taliban?

The new cover is disturbing, and the Editor was proclaiming we have an obligation to the women of Afghanistan, because if we leave, they will be the victims of retribution.

The left is now solidifying their position in the pro-war camp. The Editor disagreed with Biden's assertion yesterday that we aren't nation-building, so there was a ray of truth from Time Magazine that we are in fact nation-building.

The article, from what I can tell, will be a pro nation-building article using the woman as a heart-string puller that we can never leave the region.

At least Mike Barnacle (guest commentator on Morning Joe) as well as Pat Buchanan asked "what about Cambodia, Vietnam, Central Africa when we left?" and, "what about the 60 U.S. servicemen and women we lose per month?," respectively.

Never thought I would see Time Magazine go full-monty for the War, and use a Afghan woman as a prop to promote their agenda.

torchbearer
07-29-2010, 06:19 AM
saudi arabia oppresses women too, are they advocating we invade them also?

Live_Free_Or_Die
07-29-2010, 06:54 AM
If there is absolutely no way to stop the out of control spending because you 1) do not have the votes in Congress or 2) do not have the support of the people at large, the upside is they will spend the United States into oblivion faster maintaining the wars.

dean.engelhardt
07-29-2010, 07:17 AM
Was this woman assualted by the Taliban since the US military has occupied the region? Does this justify a military occupation or does the military occupation make the matter worse for woman? When a culture is threaten by foreign forces people tend to dig their heels in as resistance.

If China invaded the US because they believed our right to bear arms was wrong, what do you think our reaction would be.

I don't condone when different cultures or groups treat women inhumanly. But sticking this womens face on a magazine to justify military occupation is sick. How much suffering have we caused by collateral damage? How many woman and children are disfigured by military activity? Why don't they show both sides of the story?

GunnyFreedom
07-29-2010, 07:25 AM
Was this woman assualted by the Taliban since the US military has occupied the region? Does this justify a military occupation or does the military occupation make the matter worse for woman? When a culture is threaten by foreign forces people tend to dig their heels in as resistance.

If China invaded the US because they believed our right to bear arms was wrong, what do you think our reaction would be.

I don't condone when different cultures or groups treat women inhumanly. But sticking this womens face on a magazine to justify military occupation is sick. How much suffering have we caused by collateral damage? How many woman and children are disfigured by military activity? Why don't they show both sides of the story?

Because that would make their messiah look bad. :mad:

Cowlesy
07-29-2010, 07:25 AM

So do parts of Iran..

Oh, wait...

Imaginos
07-29-2010, 08:07 AM
Majority of countries in this messed up planet oppress women.
Why don't we just start WWIII and fight our holy war (to spread democracy) all over the continents?
We are not a fucking savior of this fucking planet!
And you want to save those women?
America is number one when it comes to rape cases and why don't we save those women first?
America is number one when it comes to jail rape cases and why don't we save those men first?
America is one of the top tiers when it comes to child molestation cases and why don't we save those children first?
We are in no fucking situation to fight or bomb anybody to spread our virtue!
Take care of our problem, our people first!
Set the priority straight!
All of you traitors in Washington, D. C., if you want to save those women, do it with your money, not ours!
FUCK OFF AND DIE!
And you, Time magazine, you sell out piece of shit, fuck off and die as well.

Fredom101
07-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Majority of countries in this messed up planet oppress women.
Why don't we just start WWIII and fight our holy war (to spread democracy) all over the continents?
We are not a fucking savior of this fucking planet!
And you want to save those women?
America is number one when it comes to rape cases and why don't we save those women first?
America is number one when it comes to jail rape cases and why don't we save those men first?
America is one of the top tiers when it comes to child molestation cases and why don't we save those children first?
We are in no fucking situation to fight or bomb anybody to spread our virtue!
Take care of our problem, our people first!
Set the priority straight!
All of you traitors in Washington, D. C., if you want to save those women, do it with your money, not ours!
FUCK OFF AND DIE!
And you, Time magazine, you sell out piece of shit, fuck off and die as well.

Hear hear!

How do we even know this woman was assaulted by the Taliban and not the U.S. military? Time magazine is completely controlled by the CFR (I'm not a conspiracy nut, but this is the truth), so I wouldn't be surprised if this is a lie, much like that video right after 9/11 of the Palestinian woman allegedly celebrating the towers coming down.

Anti Federalist
07-29-2010, 11:16 AM
Neocon left?

Jesus, the bullshit is piling up so fast you need wings to stay above it.

Welfare/warfare, it just never stops in DC, just a continual orgy of killing and consumption of tax dollars.

starless
07-29-2010, 11:24 AM
How do we even know this woman was assaulted by the Taliban and not the U.S. military?

You are a piece of shit.

Fredom101
07-29-2010, 11:54 AM
You are a piece of shit.

Gee, thanks, are you defending the US military? If so, your comment only applies to you here.

akforme
07-29-2010, 11:59 AM
You are a piece of shit.

personal attacks don't help. You can attack his idea, but name calling doesn't help anyone.

Cowlesy
07-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Hear hear!

How do we even know this woman was assaulted by the Taliban and not the U.S. military? Time magazine is completely controlled by the CFR (I'm not a conspiracy nut, but this is the truth), so I wouldn't be surprised if this is a lie, much like that video right after 9/11 of the Palestinian woman allegedly celebrating the towers coming down.

We have a lot of military guys on the forum, and I imagine they would take a great deal of offense to your baseless comment about this girl whom we know little about until the article is printed.

You are a piece of shit.

Personal attacks violate the forum guidelines. Please refrain from using them in the future, rather, report the comment to the Moderator team.

Gee, thanks, are you defending the US military? If so, your comment only applies to you here.

Unnecessary.

personal attacks don't help. You can attack his idea, but name calling doesn't help anyone.

Correct.

My thread. Any further going down this path will be deleted by me. Thanks.

ababba
07-29-2010, 12:06 PM

I'm in favor of withdrawing from Afghanistan but I don't think this is a good argument. If you consider invading a country, there is always a list of good and bad reasons to do it, or costs and benefits. Oppressed women may be one benefit of the invasion. That doesn't mean this benefit outweighs the costs, even to a warmonger, if a country has oppressed women.

Anti Federalist
07-29-2010, 12:16 PM
My thread. Any further going down this path will be deleted by me. Thanks.

Tensions are running high. ;)

Fredom101
07-29-2010, 12:19 PM
We have a lot of military guys on the forum, and I imagine they would take a great deal of offense to your baseless comment about this girl whom we know little about until the article is printed.

Baseless? Over a million lives have been lost at the hands of the US military just since the first Iraq war. This photo could easily be one of those people. My comment was hardly baseless; we have no idea if this girl was killed by the Taliban, the US military, or someone else, but no matter what, murder is wrong, even if the murderer is wearing a costume with a US flag on it.

ItsTime
07-29-2010, 12:21 PM
So do parts of Iran..

Oh, wait...

So do parts of Utah. Shit, we are screwed :eek:

ravedown
07-29-2010, 12:23 PM
youtube of morning joe?

acptulsa
07-29-2010, 12:26 PM
So do parts of Utah. Shit, we are screwed :eek:

'We couldn't realize their attitude in not falling on our necks and blessing us for giving them the assistance of our superior knowledge of government.

'We couldn't figure out why they didn't appreciate the fact that they had been shot in the most cordial manner possible.'--Will Rogers

This sort of stuff might actually work if our own shit didn't stink. But it does.

lester1/2jr
07-29-2010, 02:09 PM
even the presidents base isn't buying it

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=389&topic_id=8839807&mesg_id=8839807

in europe they fall for stuff like this

Cowlesy
07-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Baseless? Over a million lives have been lost at the hands of the US military just since the first Iraq war. This photo could easily be one of those people. My comment was hardly baseless; we have no idea if this girl was killed by the Taliban, the US military, or someone else, but no matter what, murder is wrong, even if the murderer is wearing a costume with a US flag on it.

Yes, baseless. Did you miss my "about this girl" to avoid some anarchist dropping a sweeping generalization of war in general and how innocents are murdered?

This girl was not "killed" by the Taliban, like I said, her nose/ears were cut off.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2007238,00.html

The Taliban pounded on the door just before midnight, demanding that Aisha, 18, be punished for running away from her husband's house. Her in-laws treated her like a slave, Aisha pleaded. They beat her. If she hadn't run away, she would have died. Her judge, a local Taliban commander, was unmoved. Aisha's brother-in-law held her down while her husband pulled out a knife. First he sliced off her ears. Then he started on her nose.

This didn't happen 10 years ago, when the Taliban ruled Afghanistan. It happened last year. Now hidden in a secret women's shelter in Kabul, Aisha listens obsessively to the news. Talk that the Afghan government is considering some kind of political accommodation with the Taliban frightens her. "They are the people that did this to me," she says, touching her damaged face. "How can we reconcile with them?"
Read more: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2007238,00.html#ixzz0v6WHLPjL

yokna7
07-29-2010, 02:20 PM
TIME MAGAZINE = PROMOTERS OF WAR

What a rag!

Anti Federalist
07-29-2010, 02:27 PM
This girl was not "killed" by the Taliban, like I said, her nose/ears were cut off.

Time ought to be asking why, in conjuction with Pakistan's ISI, CIA and our government placed the Taliban in power back in the 1990s.

Cowlesy
07-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Time ought to be asking why, in conjuction with Pakistan's ISI, CIA and our government placed the Taliban in power back in the 1990s.

Well they wouldn't want to go down that path, that could upset their elite friends.

Fredom101
07-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Yes, baseless. Did you miss my "about this girl" to avoid some anarchist dropping a sweeping generalization of war in general and how innocents are murdered?

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2007238,00.html

You must have mis-read my post. I said "this girl" may have been any girl, killed by the US military OR the taliban. Many 10's of thousands have children have died at the hands of the US military in Afghanistan.

And then I said that how do we know this photo is authentic? Lots of problems with propaganda here.

Do you see a difference in innocent children being killed by Taliban vs. innocent children being killed by US marines?

lester1/2jr
07-29-2010, 04:13 PM
I would swear there was story exactly like this on 60 minutes not long ago

Anti Federalist
07-29-2010, 06:34 PM
///

angelatc
07-29-2010, 06:39 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/29/time-magazine-cover-expla_n_663617.html

Looking at the comments at HuffPo, the propaganda machine will have its work cut out for it.

BuddyRey
07-30-2010, 10:43 AM
I hope TIME's general readership is as pissed off over this tasteless pandering as we are.

pcosmar
07-30-2010, 10:55 AM
I don't remember reading about much outrage over Nazi Collaborators.

http://lisawallerrogers.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/french-women-nazi-collaborators.jpg

:confused:

dean.engelhardt
07-30-2010, 01:01 PM
It is a race. Which will happen first? Will they change their culture or will the U.S. go broke first?

Imperial
07-30-2010, 01:49 PM

To be clear here, the Taliban has much worse policies than Saudi Arabia, even if they both are negative toward civil liberties.