PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul and Liberal Republicans

bobbyw24
07-29-2010, 04:17 AM
By W. James Antle, III

David Frum has a post talking about liberal Republican support for Ron Paul in a recent poll of New Hampshire GOP primary voters. Although Paul's conservative supporters would say the Good Doctor is self-evidently more right-wing than Newt Gingrich, that's pretty consistent with the exit poll results from the 2008 primary. I made note of the data in my review of Bill Kauffman's Ain't My America for Reason (skip to the third paragraph).

Of course, Ron Paul wasn't the top choice of liberal Republicans in New Hampshire. That honor went to the winner of the New Hampshire primary and the eventual 2008 GOP nominee: John McCain. (Incidentally, I think Mitt Romney's lead in the early New Hampshire polls probably reflects his roots as a New England governor and McCain's absence from the race more than it says anything about his perceived economic competence, though there could be some data that proves me wrong.)

http://spectator.org/blog/2010/07/28/ron-paul-and-liberal-republica

low preference guy
07-29-2010, 04:22 AM
David Frum article actually has a good point:

Ron Paul's economic ideas (to the extend voters are aware of) aren't controversial anymore; they're accepted widely in the Republican Party. But there is more variety in opinion for the social issues. The New England "liberal Republicans" support Paul over other candidates due to his positions on drugs and foreign policy. The "conservative Republicans" in New England don't support him mainly due to his positions on non-economic issues.