PDA

View Full Version : Students Against Selective Service

RileyE104
07-29-2010, 01:47 AM
Found this little gem on Facebook... About 210 members so far.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=94026765533

Those of you who are on FB, please join the Group and get involved in the discussion with me!

I'm currently debating with a (possibly racist - made some derogatory comments) man who thinks that it is cowardly and ignorant to protest the SS.

Hope to see some of you there defending Liberty... :)

Matt Collins
07-29-2010, 09:18 AM
Signing up for that group is a great way to get pre-subscribed to the Camp FEMA invite list :p

silverhandorder
07-29-2010, 09:54 AM
WE are all on RPF here. There is entire departments devoted to each poster here to study our every move. :D jk

Matt Collins
07-29-2010, 11:13 AM
WE are all on RPF here. There is entire departments devoted to each poster here to study our every move. :D jk
I'm hosed then :(

Matt Collins
07-29-2010, 11:15 AM
But seriously, looking back, I wish I hadn't had signed up for it.

RileyE104
07-29-2010, 11:42 AM
But seriously, looking back, I wish I hadn't had signed up for it.

For Selective Service?

I'm also signed up... :(

Anyways, how do you respond to a guy like this?

Stuart Robertson: Riley you are free to gripe and bitch all you want thanks to people like me. I see that you are a young, and seemingly very angry, boy. You have much to learn. Freedom isn't free- it comes at a sacred price. Good luck in your studies. As for Carlos, our prisons are filled with lazy, cocky, uneducated people like him.

libertarian4321
07-29-2010, 12:00 PM
No one in the military today is "keeping you free."

Our military went past the point of merely defending us and keeping us free long ago. It is now a political tool used to bend other people to the will of our leaders.

Philhelm
07-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Alright, I joined.

RileyE104
07-29-2010, 12:04 PM
No one in the military today is "keeping you free."

Our military went past the point of merely defending us and keeping us free long ago. It is now a political tool used to bend other people to the will of our leaders.

This was my response:

First of all, I have freedom of speech because it is a God given right, not because of any man. Secondly, the fact that you think "freedom comes at a price" is just ridiculous. It is against the VERY PRINCIPLES this country is supposed to stand for to forcefully take a citizen and make them do the State's bidding against their will.

Stuart, there's no sense in defending this country if we sacrifice the very Liberties and Principles that we are supposed to be defending.

Personally, I want there to be honor in the Armed Forces. I want people to defend this country because they WANT to defend this country, not because a bunch of politicians tell them to. I respect you for your service to this country and I would ask that YOU respect the Constitutional values that you swore to.

Kludge
07-29-2010, 12:05 PM
I signed up for it electronically. Dumb move looking back.

But, if there were ever a draft, it wouldn´t be too hard to evade - no roots.

Danke
07-29-2010, 12:10 PM
I signed up for it electronically. Dumb move looking back.

Weren't you warned? Anyway, you'd make a good soldier.

Matt Collins
07-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Weren't you warned? I did it right out of high school when I was on track to become an officer in the USAF anyway. If I had known then what I know now I wouldn't have signed up for it.

Kýrie eléison
07-29-2010, 12:24 PM
I just turned 18 a little over a week ago. Don't I have to sign up for it otherwise they put me in prison and/or fine me?

Danke
07-29-2010, 12:30 PM
I just turned 18 a little over a week ago. Don't I have to sign up for it otherwise they put me in prison and/or fine me?

No. Just lose a few benefits, like some Student loans/aid, etc. Some employers may not hire you.

Kludge
07-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Weren't you warned?

Not soon enough - registered before I was out of high school. American History teacher said it was a federal crime worth years of imprisonment not to register within a month (or something like that) after your 18th birthday and I still wanted to work with the system back then (+ wanted to go to college without enough funding). .... And I was still living with my mom.

Danke
07-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Not soon enough...

Oh? I thought we had this conversation a while back before you did the deed. nvm. (I get you CPs confused...)

Kludge
07-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Oh? I thought we had this conversation a while back before you did the deed. nvm.

Just a couple weeks after.

Philhelm
07-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Wow, that Stuart Robertson fellow is a real bitch.

RileyE104
07-29-2010, 04:09 PM

If you're not signed up you can't receive any Federal benefits and you also can not hold any Federal office. (If I'm correct... I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere)

And they say they will fine you and/or put you in prison, but I'm sure it wouldn't come to that unless they actually try to draft us and we refuse.

I sucked it up and signed up for a few reasons, mainly because if I ever want to seek office in the future I don't want this holding me back.

But even though I'm signed up, if they were to try and draft me I wouldn't go.
They'd have to put me in jail after they caught me.

------------
If anyone has Facebook and hasn't joined the group yet, please do so:

DisillusionedPatriot
07-29-2010, 04:22 PM
For Selective Service?

I'm also signed up... :(

Anyways, how do you respond to a guy like this?

Riley, I would respond to Stuart thus:

It is a self contradictory remark to claim that in order to obtain greater freedom, some men must be forced to pursue that goal against their will. The Declaration of Independence assigns to all men certain intrinsic rights, including those of “Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness”. Put simply, conscription is unjust because it violates each of these most treasured rights. The draft also transgresses upon rights afforded to us through the Constitution, including those mentioned in the 1st, 4th, 10th, and 14th Amendments.

I believe it is possible, morally and Constitutionally speaking, for states to provide for a draft of the citizenry militia in the event of an invasion. However, nothing in the Constitution should be construed to provide Congress with the right to conscript citizens or with the right to any state to force citizens into an overseas war, against their will.

heavenlyboy34
07-29-2010, 04:48 PM
Riley, I would respond to Stuart thus:

It is a self contradictory remark to claim that in order to obtain greater freedom, some men must be forced to pursue that goal against their will. The Declaration of Independence assigns to all men certain intrinsic rights, including those of “Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness”. Put simply, conscription is unjust because it violates each of these most treasured rights. The draft also transgresses upon rights afforded to us through the Constitution, including those mentioned in the 1st, 4th, 10th, and 14th Amendments.

I believe it is possible, morally and Constitutionally speaking, for states to provide for a draft of the citizenry militia in the event of an invasion. However, nothing in the Constitution should be construed to provide Congress with the right to conscript citizens or with the right to any state to force citizens into an overseas war, against their will.

True, but the counter-argument would be that the Selective Service Act was passed by Congress (Constitutionally). :p

DisillusionedPatriot
07-29-2010, 04:53 PM
True, but the counter-argument would be that the Selective Service Act was passed by Congress (Constitutionally). :p

I deny the right of Congress to pass any bill that does not conform to the Constitution. A majority of votes does not provide Congress the right to make any law it chooses. I believe that a great deal of our nation's problems exist precisely because all branches of government have systematically grown their powers well beyond those granted them. Many laws are enforced which Constitutionally speaking are null and void on the face, as they attempt to govern actions and decisions which are rightfully left to the state or the individual. The American citizenry is not bound to honor such encroaches on our Constitutionally safeguarded freedoms.

heavenlyboy34
07-29-2010, 04:56 PM
I deny the right of Congress to pass any bill that does not conform to the Constitution. A majority of votes does not provide Congress the right to make any law it chooses. I believe that a great deal of our nation's problems exist precisely because all branches of government have systematically grown their powers well beyond those granted them. Many laws are enforced which Constitutionally speaking are null and void on the face, as they attempt to govern actions and decisions which are rightfully left to the state or the individual. The American citizenry is not bound to honor such encroaches on our Constitutionally safeguarded freedoms.

We'll see how far your denial goes when you're sitting in a military prison for not obeying TPTB and suiting up to go kill brown people in an illegal war. ;)

DisillusionedPatriot
07-29-2010, 05:11 PM
The way i see it, the mere fact that I may one day find myself sitting in prison will mean that I have voluntarily chosen to continue my denial of that right to Congress, or alternatively, that I have refused to yield what I consider to be an inalienable right of my own. The fact is, they may be able to kill me, they may be able to imprison me, but they cannot force me to cooperate or give them my endorsement. No free nation would force an individual to fight another man's war.

"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit — appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free...." - Joseph Warren, American account of the Battle of Lexington, April 26, 1775

heavenlyboy34
07-29-2010, 05:35 PM
The way i see it, the mere fact that I may one day find myself sitting in prison will mean that I have voluntarily chosen to continue my denial of that right to Congress, or alternatively, that I have refused to yield what I consider to be an inalienable right of my own. The fact is, they may be able to kill me, they may be able to imprison me, but they cannot force me to cooperate or give them my endorsement. No free nation would force an individual to fight another man's war.

"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit — appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free...." - Joseph Warren, American account of the Battle of Lexington, April 26, 1775

At least you stand for something reasonable, unlike some of the jelly-spined folks around these days. :cool:

RileyE104
07-29-2010, 06:26 PM
After speaking with the page's creator, I am now an Admin on the page!

I plan on doing everything I can to promote the shit out of this cause...
If anyone cares to help me spread the word, that would be nice. :)

RileyE104
07-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Only 9 people on here use Facebook???

That's all the member count on the page has gone up since the day started...
Come on guys..!

libertybrewcity
07-29-2010, 11:50 PM
I had to register in order to get financial aid and loans and whatnot..

I'm really not worried because the draft is political suicide for politicians. Do you really think all the weak little non athletic kids we have today would be fit for service? no. Parents wouldn't stand for it either. Unless there was some attack on the United States, I don't think the draft would be accepted, and even then an abundance of people would likely join in that case.

RileyE104
07-30-2010, 12:15 AM
I had to register in order to get financial aid and loans and whatnot..

I'm really not worried because the draft is political suicide for politicians. Do you really think all the weak little non athletic kids we have today would be fit for service? no. Parents wouldn't stand for it either. Unless there was some attack on the United States, I don't think the draft would be accepted, and even then an abundance of people would likely join in that case.

I did the same as you and I also feel the same way.

But it is important that we get this law off the books.

Like Ron says, if there is no intention to ever use the draft again, why do we still have it?