PDA

View Full Version : Steve Forbes Endorses Peter Schiff

qwerty
07-29-2010, 12:07 AM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Schiff Locks Up Forbes Endorsement

MILFORD, CT - Steve Forbes, a staunch defender of the free-market and one-time Presidential candidate, today endorsed Peter Schiff's bid for U.S. Senate in Connecticut.

"I have known Peter Schiff for several years. He has a deep knowledge of finance and economics," said Steve Forbes. "He had long warned of the troubles we now face. As your citizen-Senator he will be a fierce fighter for cutting spending, cutting taxes and repealing Obamacare."

[...]

"Steve Forbes understands the massive strains the American economy is under, and to have his backing and trust means a great deal to me," said Peter Schiff. "We need to restore free-market principles, get government out of the way and put people back to work. Steve's understanding of my vision, coupled with his backing, will help me get to Washington to make sure we grow the economy, not the government."

puppetmaster
07-29-2010, 12:17 AM
cool

anaconda
07-29-2010, 03:24 AM
WHY IN GOD'S NAME DID STEVE FORBES ENDORSE JOHN MCCAIN????????THIS UNDERMINES ALL OF HIS CREDIBILITY. BARF!!:mad:

Krugerrand
07-29-2010, 05:08 AM
WHY IN GOD'S NAME DID STEVE FORBES ENDORSE JOHN MCCAIN????????THIS UNDERMINES ALL OF HIS CREDIBILITY. BARF!!:mad:
Steve Forbes is also in one of the Peter Schiff was right clips where he's arguing against Schiff.

Perhaps he saw the light.

It's a big name backer. I'll take it.

EDIT: I didn't realize that this was a current election endorsement of McCain rather than a previous election. Strange.

NewFederalist
07-29-2010, 06:31 AM
A little late in the game as well.

puppetmaster
07-29-2010, 09:47 AM
If the endorsement gets votes then it is a good endorsement....we cant play the game if we don't get in the stadium!

johnrocks
07-29-2010, 09:50 AM

Although he's totally free market, he's also pretty much a supporter of the interventionist f/p we have so he bats about a 500 in my book, take what we can get though and he has great name recognition and has a lot of respect of others.

johnrocks
07-29-2010, 09:51 AM
if the endorsement gets votes then it is a good endorsement....we cant play the game if we don't get in the stadium!

qft

erowe1
07-29-2010, 10:08 AM

You mean when McCain was the Republican nominee? If we're not interested in building a coalition that includes Republicans and Democrats with histories of voting for what they see as the lesser of two evils in a general election, and the only people we want on our team are the 1% who support third party pipe dreams, then we might as well throw in the towel.

What really destroys someone's credibility is when they type in all-caps.

Krugerrand
07-29-2010, 10:18 AM
You mean when McCain was the Republican nominee? If we're not interested in building a coalition that includes Republicans and Democrats with histories of voting for what they see as the lesser of two evils in a general election, and the only people we want on our team are the 1% who support third party pipe dreams, then we might as well throw in the towel.

Email I received today from the Schiff campaign:

MILFORD, CT - Steve Forbes, a staunch defender of the free-market and one-time Presidential candidate, today endorsed Peter Schiff's bid for U.S. Senate in Connecticut.

"I have known Peter Schiff for several years. He has a deep knowledge of finance and economics," said Steve Forbes. "He had long warned of the troubles we now face. As your citizen-Senator he will be a fierce fighter for cutting spending, cutting taxes and repealing Obamacare."

Mr. Forbes has only endorsed three other candidates for U.S. Senate running in the 2010 election cycle: John McCain, Marco Rubio and Rand Paul.

"Steve Forbes understands the massive strains the American economy is under, and to have his backing and trust means a great deal to me," said Peter Schiff. "We need to restore free-market principles, get government out of the way and put people back to work. Steve's understanding of my vision, coupled with his backing, will help me get to Washington to make sure we grow the economy, not the government."

nobody's_hero
07-29-2010, 10:33 AM
"Mr. Forbes has only endorsed three other candidates for U.S. Senate running in the 2010 election cycle: John McCain, Marco Rubio and Rand Paul."

Forbes gets it at least half-right. Hopefully this helps Peter, if the liberals don't get out and start calling Forbes an evil person because he's interested in money.

erowe1
07-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Email I received today from the Schiff campaign:

Ohhhh. That makes a difference. That's disappointing.

That definitely does lessen his credibility (which doesn't mean his endorsement shouldn't be welcome, but still...).

On the one hand, we should take for granted that there's a lot of behind the scenes you-scratch-my-back-I-scratch-yours stuff with most of these endorsements that get traded back and forth between politicians. So the rational approach to them is not to view any at all with very much "credibility."

On the other hand, that doesn't mean that Forbes wouldn't have purely ideological reasons for endorsing McCain that are consistent with his own positions. McCain's only serious rival is J.D. Hayworth, and the two biggest differences between them are that Hayworth is a bigger proponent of more federal spending than McCain is and Hayworth is more of a protectionist than McCain is, particularly when it comes to immigration. On both of those differences, Forbes lines up with McCain more than Hayworth. This would be less explicable if Forbes endorsed McCain over somebody whom we might expect Forbes to be more supportive of, but that's not an option.

anaconda
07-29-2010, 11:56 PM

No I believe he endorsed shit for brains/corrupt as hell McCain for the CURRENT election cycle.

Kregisen
07-30-2010, 02:18 AM
No I believe he endorsed shit for brains/corrupt as hell McCain for the CURRENT election cycle.

lol McCain said he wanted 0% interest rates......it's on youtube. The man is dumber than your average 12-year old kid.