PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart to Embed RFID Tags in Clothing Beginning August 1

FrankRep
07-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Beginning August 1, men’s blue jeans and underwear sold at Walmart will carry electronic radio identification tags (RFID), causing concern that the tags may be used to track people. by Joe Wolverton, II

Wal-Mart to Embed RFID Tags in Clothing Beginning August 1 (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/tech-mainmenu-30/computers/4157-wal-mart-to-embed-rfid-tags-in-clothing-beginning-august-1)

Joe Wolverton, II | The New American (http://www.thenewamerican.com/)
Wednesday, 28 July 2010

Beginning August 1, men’s blue jeans and underwear sold at Walmart will carry electronic radio identification tags. The company, the world’s largest retailer, insists the devices are crucial to improving the logistics of inventory management, while critics point to the privacy concerns associated with the tags.

The markers in question, called radio-frequency identification (RFID) tags, are implanted in the garments and can be read by hand-held scanners. Wal-Mart officials praise the portability of the tags and the boost in speed and accuracy they bring to inventory control. “This ability to wave the wand and have a sense of all the products that are on the floor or in the back room in seconds is something that we feel can really transform our business,” crows Raul Vasquez, Wal-Mart’s representative for its stores in the western states.

RFID tags are nothing new at Walmart (or many other retailers). Until now, however, the tags were chiefly used to track pallets of goods from factory to warehouse to the local outlet. After August 1, though, for the first time Walmart will bring the technology out of the storeroom and into the consumer’s pants — literally.

In order to understand why Walmart’s selling of clothes loaded with RFID tags is worrisome, one needs to know a bit about how the devices work.

Radio-frequency identification tags are made of two principal components: an integrated circuit for storing and processing data and modulating a radio-frequency (RF) signal; and an antenna for receiving and transmitting the radio signal.

There are three types of RFID tags in common use: active RFID tags, which contain a battery and transmits signals autonomously; passive RFID tags, which have no battery and require an external source to stimulate signal transmission; and battery assisted passive (BAP) RFID tags, which operate only when “turned on” by an outside source, but have significant higher forward link capability providing greater range. The tags being used by Walmart are reportedly the passive version.

The workings of the technology reveals the privacy privations feared by critics. These tags can be scanned not just by Walmart employees, but by anyone with a scanner tuned to the signal. And, the signal given off by these “inventory control devices” cannot be turned off. Even if removed by consumers, as Walmart anticipates, the tags remain active and, whether sitting in the garbage or in the closet, they are emitting a signal.

That perpetually “on” aspect of the RFID tags is what sends chills down the spine of privacy advocates like Katherine Albrecht. Albrecht is the founder of Consumers Against Supermarket Privacy Invasion and Numbering, an organization dedicated to tracking the tracking.

Albrecht told reporters that, “This is the first piece of a very large and very frightening tracking system.”

Large and frightening are apt descriptions of a plan being implemented by a company with the global footprint of Walmart. The plain economic fact is that Walmart sets the standard for many other retailers by exerting control over suppliers and compelling them to alter their methods according to the wishes of the Behemoth of Bentonville.

This influence is felt by stores of all sorts that draw inventory from the same supply stream. Thus, as goes Walmart, so goes retail. This domino effect works to expand the scope of the RFID tracking issue to cover most of the population.

The Wall Street Journal reports that “several other U.S. retailers, including J.C. Penney and Bloomingdale’s, have begun experimenting with smart tags on clothing to better ensure shelves remain stocked with sizes and colors that customers want.”

International industry journals report that Indian suppliers to other retail heavy hitters such as Metro, Target and U.K.-based Tesco have already been issued directives to replace bar codes with RFID tags. While this may lower margins of these suppliers, it is also expected to create a demand for RFID tags in India. The value of the entire RFID market — tags, readers, software/services and labels — is expected to touch $5.63 billion in 2010, according to a recent survey conducted by IDTechEx.

Is there any doubt that supply will meet the challenges of demand? Especially when the demand is made by those earning their livelihood by catering to the wishes of Walmart.

Industry insiders, while trying to downplay the “Big Brother” aspect of the technology and promote the logistics applications, illuminate red warning lights in their praise of RFID. Robert Carpenter, chief executive of a group that helped universal product codes (UPC) reach ubiquity, now predicts the same saturation of retail by RFID codes.

There is, of course, a stark distinction between UPC and RFID. As stated above, RFID is always “live” and continuously transmits a signal despite the consumer’s efforts to remove them. UPC, on the other hand, can be removed and is a static, or dead, device and can be defaced or erased, thus terminating its tracking capabilities.

Another concern to Albrecht and others protective of the privacy of citizens is the potential for coordination with other objects embedded with the chips and carried by people who shop at Walmart.

According to Albrecht and other privacy sentinels, drivers in states along the Canadian border (Michigan and Washington) are now issued licenses containing RFID tags that enable them to cross back and forth across the border with ease. Albrecht explained her fear to USA Today that “retailers could scan data from such licenses and their purchases and combine that data with other personal information.”

Theoretically, stores could scan these licenses without foreknowledge of the consumer, then amalgamate all the data broadcast by the RFID tags to form a composite image of the activity, movements, and buying behavior of those carrying such licenses. Then the next time the consumer comes in the store, employees could instantly indentify the person and know how to tailor the consumer’s shopping experience, including the ads that run on the TVs placed throughout Walmart.

While such corporate surveillance may sound far-fetched, Albrecht argues that “there are a lot of corporate marketers who are interested in tracking people as they walk sales floors.” It isn’t just inventory that could be controlled, but access and advertising, as well.

Despite assurances from Walmart executives that the RFID technology will only be used to better manage inventory in order to cut costs and pass along those savings to consumers, those familiar with the immense potential for RFID scanning admit that “they’ll cut down on employee theft because it will be easier to see if something’s gone missing from the back room.”

So, the party line has gone from supply chain management, to cost-cutting for the consumer, to monitoring of employees. Still, advocates contend that there is nothing to worry about — unless you’re a supplier, a consumer, a driver, or an employee of Walmart.

SOURCE:
http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/tech-mainmenu-30/computers/4157-wal-mart-to-embed-rfid-tags-in-clothing-beginning-august-1

Bruno
07-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Does laundering the clothes ruin the tag? Are they easy to locate in the clothing to remove? If so, I anticipate many of us cutting the tags out and either throwing them away, or storing safely under our tin foil hats.

phill4paul
07-28-2010, 02:38 PM
I have no problem as long as it is removed at purchase. Until that point it is their property.

However, disclosure to the buyer is required. Removal at point of purchase is required.

GunnyFreedom
07-28-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm rather familiar with RFID, and they are usually contained on a kind of sticker or plastic device that would come off of the article of clothing prior to wearing it. I find it a little difficult to believe that Walmart would pay the massive extra sum of money required to have them embedded into the fabric itself, but even if they did, all you really have to do is microwave the article of clothing for 30sec (underwear).

Now, jeans generally have metal and it is not a good idea to nuke them, but it is relatively simple to turn a disposable camera into a handheld EMP device and fry any RFID within about 5-10 feet. Granted, that's more of a PITA than it's worth, but again, I just do not see WalMart paying the outrageous cost of fabric embedded RFID when the removable cost something like 1/50th the price of embeds.

Dr.3D
07-28-2010, 02:40 PM
So if I'm reading this correctly. People will go into Wal-Mart, buy underwear and other things with these tags, then later while wearing them go back into the store and since the stores are usually open all night, the people taking inventory will actually have a larger inventory than they expected.

I mean, all of those extra tags being worn will be read and throw off the inventory anyway.

Dr.3D
07-28-2010, 02:42 PM
I have no problem as long as it is removed at purchase. Until that point it is their property.

However, disclosure to the buyer is required. Removal at point of purchase is required.

I saw a news special about these tags on the TV the other day and they claim the tags will not be removed. They said they were placed under the regular tags on the clothing.

GunnyFreedom
07-28-2010, 02:45 PM
I saw a news special about these tags on the TV the other day and they claim the tags will not be removed. They said they were placed under the regular tags on the clothing.

And if you are like me and buy only tagless underwear?

In any case, tags are easy to remove.

Bruno
07-28-2010, 02:45 PM
So if I'm reading this correctly. People will go into Wal-Mart, buy underwear and other things with these tags, then later while wearing them go back into the store and since the stores are usually open all night, the people taking inventory will actually have a larger inventory than they expected.

I mean, all of those extra tags being worn will be read and throw off the inventory anyway.

good point.

Theoretically, stores could scan these licenses without foreknowledge of the consumer, then amalgamate all the data broadcast by the RFID tags to form a composite image of the activity, movements, and buying behavior of those carrying such licenses. Then the next time the consumer comes in the store, employees could instantly indentify the person and know how to tailor the consumer’s shopping experience, including the ads that run on the TVs placed throughout Walmart.

And if this is true, and there are hundreds of people walking around a given walmart with these tags in their jeans, the televisions would be constantly changing to try to market to all those individiuals.

Matt Collins
07-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Nothing a microwave can't fix.

ChaosControl
07-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Yet another reason to avoid shopping at that hell hole of a store.

Anti Federalist
07-28-2010, 03:41 PM

That +1776

squarepusher
07-28-2010, 03:46 PM
will the tags be removed from the clothes once you buy it?

w2992
07-28-2010, 03:50 PM
for the new passport it only takes 1 or 2 seconds in the microwave to see a spark and hear a pop. in the upper left corner of the back cover

angelatc
07-28-2010, 03:55 PM
We bought jeans for my son at Target a few years back that had those tags sewn in by the manufacturer. The hang tag specifically said to cut the tag out before wearing them. We didn't, and for a year or so the alarms would ring whenever we walked in or out of a Target.

JeNNiF00F00
07-28-2010, 03:57 PM
:D

Old Ducker
07-28-2010, 04:01 PM

I've never stepped foot in a WalMart and doubt I ever will.

devil21
07-28-2010, 04:02 PM

That's the million dollar question. If so, then I don't care. But if they expect me to live with their RFID crap in whatever I buy then they can expect to lose what little business of mine they already get.

amonasro
07-28-2010, 04:05 PM

If they're smart they'll use it for direct marketing. Walk past a tv screen, it sees that you're wearing a pair of their crappy jeans, then display an advertisement that it thinks you'll like. It will probably be used as a shrink (shoplifting) reduction tool also.

JustinTime
07-28-2010, 04:07 PM
They can put whatever they want on the merchandise they sell, but unless its removed at the point-of-purchase I wont be buying anything from Wal-Mart.

Oh thats right... I dont buy anything from Wal-Mart now.

Dr.3D
07-28-2010, 04:11 PM

Nope... you will have to remove them yourself.

GunnyFreedom
07-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Or maybe magnetizing?

Not all that effective, you need enough of an energy burst to fry the microcircuits.

I've never stepped foot in a WalMart and doubt I ever will.

I wish I could be so fortunate to avoid Wally World, and when I actually had money I did. As it stands, I have given up almost my entire life since 2007 to the liberty movement, and only taken on just enough jobs to keep myself fed. When you make between $5,000 and $10,000 a year (I was used to $45k to $55k before 2007) then your choices of grocery store becomes a lot more limited. :(

----

As for me, I am waiting until they embed nanostorage into clothing that wirelessly interacts with an MP3 player, so that you can load different MP3 libraries depending on what clothing you are wearing at the time :D

Break out the bellbottoms and have a disco library available. Wear the leather jacked and listen to steppenwlf and outlaw biker music. Pull on your Metallica t-shirt and add the entire Metallica playlist. Wear your Ron Paul button and access your freedom library.

Matt Collins
07-28-2010, 04:33 PM
YouTube - RFID Passport Shield Failure Demo - Flexilis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XXaqraF7pI)
YouTube - silencing the RFID in your passport (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODON91jgTHs)
YouTube - RFID blocking passport sleeve and credit card sleeve (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ6KnlW5M7s)
YouTube - rfid in 10 euro bill? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY3482og_jE)
YouTube - Dont put RFID in microwave (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_5UYcyO3Pg)

Anti Federalist
07-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Not all that effective, you need enough of an energy burst to fry the microcircuits.

I wish I could be so fortunate to avoid Wally World, and when I actually had money I did. As it stands, I have given up almost my entire life since 2007 to the liberty movement, and only taken on just enough jobs to keep myself fed. When you make between $5,000 and $10,000 a year (I was used to $45k to $55k before 2007) then your choices of grocery store becomes a lot more limited. :(

I may be joining your ranks before all this is over.

I'll go to thrift stores before Wal Marx though.

As for me, I am waiting until they embed nanostorage into clothing that wirelessly interacts with an MP3 player, so that you can load different MP3 libraries depending on what clothing you are wearing at the time :D

Break out the bellbottoms and have a disco library available. Wear the leather jacked and listen to steppenwlf and outlaw biker music. Pull on your Metallica t-shirt and add the entire Metallica playlist. Wear your Ron Paul button and access your freedom library.

I'm laughing in spite of myself.

I doubt the system will that beneficent toward those displaying Ron Paul tendencies however.

Freedom library?

More likely a SWAT team take down and "reeducation".

HOLLYWOOD
07-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Does laundering the clothes ruin the tag? Are they easy to locate in the clothing to remove? If so, I anticipate many of us cutting the tags out and either throwing them away, or storing safely under our tin foil hats.

It's a scrimmage game of the Biometric RFID.

Have some fun... take a powerful small magnet to Wallyworld the next time you're looking at RFID clothing.:D

Vessol
07-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Eh. I got all my pants from JR's. God that place has great cheap pants.

GunnyFreedom
07-28-2010, 06:19 PM
YouTube - Dont put RFID in microwave

Well, DUH. You have to hover your finger over the "stop" button or the door open and the INSTANT you see that 1st blue spark you stop it. it's done. After that point, if you do not stop the microwave, it will do what any metal object in a microwave will do: catch fire.

GunnyFreedom
07-28-2010, 06:27 PM
I may be joining your ranks before all this is over.

I'll go to thrift stores before Wal Marx though.

Eh. I got all my pants from JR's. God that place has great cheap pants.

Yeah, I do NOT buy clothes at WallyWorld. Just groceries. And when I can I go to BJ's instead for more bang for my buck.

I'm laughing in spite of myself.

I doubt the system will that beneficent toward those displaying Ron Paul tendencies however.

Freedom library?

More likely a SWAT team take down and "reeducation".

Just music and maybe some data files and PDF's. XD And I'll wear my Ron Paul and Constitutionalist gear until they are falling off of me in shreds. Jackboots be damned. :eek: :cool:

james1906
07-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Walmart's only purpose with me is that I can buy stuff there I can't anywhere else at midnight. I don't like crowds.

Their groceries are overpriced, and the produce is terrible. Probably because an RFID is implanted in the avocado pit.

tpreitzel
07-28-2010, 07:15 PM
Customers should demand proof that the tags are inactive at the checkout counter. If enough customers do, then Wal-Mart will likely have a nightmare on their hands. PROVE TO ME that the tags are now inactive... while other customers wait in line and start to fume. ;)

james1906
07-28-2010, 07:17 PM
Customers should demand proof that the tags are inactive at the checkout counter. If enough customers do, then Wal-Mart will likely have a nightmare on their hands. PROVE TO ME that the tags are now inactive... while other customers wait in line and start to fume. ;)

Have you met a Walmart employee?

tpreitzel
07-28-2010, 07:22 PM

Surely, an employee can summon a "superior" while customers stand in line mesmerized by the flashing light.

james1906
07-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Surely, an employee can summon a "superior" while customers stand in line mesmerized by the flashing light.

Have you met a Walmart supervisor?

tpreitzel
07-28-2010, 07:34 PM

Hmmm. on second thought, you have a point.

YumYum
07-28-2010, 07:34 PM

Isn't that the same thing as a Walmart employee?

GunnyFreedom
07-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Walmart's only purpose with me is that I can buy stuff there I can't anywhere else at midnight. I don't like crowds.

Their groceries are overpriced, and the produce is terrible. Probably because an RFID is implanted in the avocado pit.

Yeah, never ever get WM produce; but I can tell you that the only place around here to get groceries cheaper per volume than WM is from bulk stores like BJ's & CostCo etc.

I can't wait to either get elected or not, so that I can either collect a real paycheck or start taking on clients again -- so I can stop shopping there, but when you are under $10k a year there aren't a whole lot of options, AND I JUST WILL NOT get food stamps and the like, even if they allowed me to (which I am sure they do not: white, single, male, no kids)

GunnyFreedom
07-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Isn't that the same thing as a Walmart employee?

Yeah, but with the extra addition of YEARS of ingrained apathy. :D

noxagol
07-28-2010, 07:44 PM

I'm a walmart employee. No love for me? You think me a simpleton?

/cry no one loves me

james1906
07-28-2010, 07:47 PM

/cry no one loves me

Please post a picture of your mullet and gang tattoos.

tpreitzel
07-28-2010, 07:50 PM

/cry no one loves me

Actually, I've met a few Wal-Mart employees that are very aware of the political situation in the US, i.e. members of a local Ron Paul meet-up. Unfortunately, the current economic and political situation limits choices of employment. Although, you're likely a rarity at Wal-Mart, we need subversives everywhere. ;)

constituent
07-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Holy New World Order Batman, somebody call infowars!

constituent
07-28-2010, 07:52 PM

/cry no one loves me

I got love for you fellow simpleton. I zoned sporting goods much longer than I care to admit. :o

james1906
07-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Can they put RFID tags in their shopping carts? They don't seem to be aware they're scattered about the parking lot.

GunnyFreedom
07-28-2010, 07:55 PM

/cry no one loves me

the only rule to which there are no exceptions, is that there are exceptions to EVERY rule. :D

My roommate and my GF used to work for WalMart, and they both said that WM back when Sam Wall owned it is day and night different compared to WM now. That it used to be a good thing but is now an evil thing.

noxagol
07-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Please post a picture of your mullet and gang tattoos.

I can't cause I don't have either.

freedoms-light
07-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Good ole Wallmart....
Server rooms host dust bunnies that could eat a cat...

RonPaulGetsIt
07-28-2010, 08:44 PM
They are a private company and can rightfully do whatever they want with their property.

This difference between them and government is that they will respond to market pressures to remove these tags or prove to the consumer they are inoperative if that is what the public demands.

Otherwise their competitors will seize upon this and advertise the fact that they are responding to customers demand.

However, Walmart may be able to run their operation even more efficiently than they already do and provide even less expensive products.

Either way the free market wins. Government on the other hand acts with coertion and threat of force. Polar opposites.

WaltM
07-28-2010, 10:26 PM
according to my tin foil hat friends, they've done it since 2005.

Anti Federalist
07-28-2010, 10:32 PM
They are a private company and can rightfully do whatever they want with their property.

This difference between them and government is that they will respond to market pressures to remove these tags or prove to the consumer they are inoperative if that is what the public demands.

Otherwise their competitors will seize upon this and advertise the fact that they are responding to customers demand.

However, Walmart may be able to run their operation even more efficiently than they already do and provide even less expensive products.

Either way the free market wins. Government on the other hand acts with coertion and threat of force. Polar opposites.

Bah, humbug.

I am as suspicious of the "market" as I am of "democracy".

Many economic choices are taken away from me by the flood of Boobus at the store as they are politically squelched by the flood of Boobus at the voting booth.

NewFederalist
07-29-2010, 06:57 AM
Walmart and the DoD are the driving force behind both active and passive RFID. I am familiar with RFID tags and their mostly logistical benefits. Passive tags have now become so small and inexpensive they can be used virtually anywhere. They still require a power source to activate and respond. Surround the tag with lots of metal and it becomes nearly useless because of all the ghost reads. I seriously doubt Walmart is engaging in any sort of conspiracy but as has been pointed out in this thread there are many ways to render the tag inoperative. These are all passive tags, BTW. Active tags require a power source of their own (battery) and are fairly large and quite expensive.

Paleo
07-29-2010, 07:26 AM
I already dont shop at Walmart except for ammo. Just about everything there is junk these days, they have out Walmarted themselves...

The real danger is that this will provide the critical mass necessary for widespread adoption of this practice...

GunnyFreedom
07-29-2010, 07:42 AM
I already dont shop at Walmart except for ammo. Just about everything there is junk these days, they have out Walmarted themselves...

The real danger is that this will provide the critical mass necessary for widespread adoption of this practice...

Actually, THAT (believe it or not) wouldn't be so bad...

what I mean by that is that one of the the best ways to defeat an all-intrusive surveillance system is to overwhelm it with more data than it can possibly handle.

Yeah, I'd still rather this not happen at all, but if it DOES happen, then by all means let EVERYBODY do it. if we can't stop it at the startig block, then overwhelm the system as quickly as possible XD

Still, I'll be frying mine. Do not doubt it!

Paleo
07-29-2010, 07:45 AM
Actually, THAT (believe it or not) wouldn't be so bad...

what I mean by that is that one of the the best ways to defeat an all-intrusive surveillance system is to overwhelm it with more data than it can possibly handle.

Yeah, I'd still rather this not happen at all, but if it DOES happen, then by all means let EVERYBODY do it. if we can't stop it at the startig block, then overwhelm the system as quickly as possible XD

Still, I'll be frying mine. Do not doubt it!

Sadly, I think you are underestimating exactly what the NSA is capable of, and how quickly they are expanding that capability... :(

GunnyFreedom
07-29-2010, 08:02 AM
Sadly, I think you are underestimating exactly what the NSA is capable of, and how quickly they are expanding that capability... :(

The NSA has a LOT of crunching power, but it is all very devoted towards sniffing internet, radio, and telephone conversations for codewords.

The infrastructure required for networking a RFID sensor grid plus monitoring 300 million individuals times 3 tags each (approximately 1 billion) times say 10 sets of clothing (say 9 billion discreet tags) is prohibitive enough to make them either spend another $100 Billion on infrastructure, or give up most of their current efforts to re-purpose the hardware for RFID tracking.

It's not that I am unfamiliar with the NSA's capability, but rather that I am familiar with the limits of current technology. The actual processors required for the task are not really so bad, maybe a couple dozen million dollars -- but the infrastructure required to collect the sensor data is simply NOT in place and would cost just stupid sums of money to put in place.

Obviously this is not something I want by ANY stretch of the imagination, and they are easy enough to defeat if you know what you are doing.

Another possible benefit to us...

Say they do get all of this put into place and they are tracking all these people...

You and I destroy our RFID tags so they are unresponsive...

now we are off the grid in plain sight.

Once they come to rely on a sensor grid network like this one, they will rely less on traditional means, and therefore it will be easier than before for us to drop off the sensor grid simply by frying our cattle tags.