View Full Version : Small town releases Red Light Camera stats

Matt Collins
07-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Fascinating:
http://www.farragutpress.com/articles/2010/07/12811.html

Matt Collins
07-28-2010, 12:01 PM
FROM THE ARTICLE:

At the discretion of Traffic Enforcement Program Manager Ben Harkins, more than 41 percent of the total recorded incidents were rejected. Although most were still violations of state law, they were considered very close calls or were due to such reasons as vehicles stopping a short distance over the stop bar that did not pose a traffic hazard, vehicles moving out of the way of an emergency vehicle, plates that were unidentifiable and weather related issues.

He strongly urges anyone receiving a citation to review the video of the incident online before deciding what course of action they will take. Many citizens who believed they had stopped before turning right on red changed their minds after reviewing their video. The instructions for reviewing a video online are located on the citation.

mnewcomb
07-28-2010, 12:58 PM
They don't break down how many citations were given for 'rolling' right hand turns. These are by far the money maker for these programs. Their refusal to release information about how many of each citation is proof of that.

Matt Collins
07-28-2010, 03:15 PM
I just made SlashDot wooo hoo!

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/07/28/1947231/Tennessee-Town-Releases-Red-Light-Camera-Stats

Anti Federalist
07-28-2010, 04:02 PM
http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2.htm

That's what should happen to every miserable one of these shitting things.

nate895
07-28-2010, 04:25 PM
They don't break down how many citations were given for 'rolling' right hand turns. These are by far the money maker for these programs. Their refusal to release information about how many of each citation is proof of that.

That is why I always fully stop before turning right.

Southron
07-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Wonder how many were tractor trailers?

I can't count how many red lights I've had to blow through due to quick changes from green to red.

fisharmor
07-28-2010, 04:42 PM
That is why I always fully stop before turning right.

Yeah, well speaking from personal experience, if you don't count to 3 you still get a ticket.

Matt Collins
07-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Wonder how many were tractor trailers?

I can't count how many red lights I've had to blow through due to quick changes from green to red.When the yellow lights are shortened more people are likely to run the red.

Vessol
07-28-2010, 04:56 PM
My friend who lives in Tenn. was pissed as hell because a red light was right over a large crested hill and they made it so that the yellow light is extremely short. He got a ticket when he went over the hill and coming down he had no time to push on his brakes. He got a ticket because he went through the light a second after it turned red, otherwise he would've skidded probably into the center with his brakes.

dannno
07-28-2010, 04:59 PM
I was driving in San Diego at night one time, and the car in front of me went like 6 inches over the line.. it was the middle of the night, NO other cars around besides me who was behind him... and BAM the flash goes off.. I was scared, then I saw that I was completely OK and the car in front of me had just barely gone over the line... no cop would have EVER given that guy a ticket in real life, only the damn robot. That's what I've always hated about those things.

dannno
07-28-2010, 05:02 PM
My friend who lives in Tenn. was pissed as hell because a red light was right over a large crested hill and they made it so that the yellow light is extremely short. He got a ticket when he went over the hill and coming down he had no time to push on his brakes. He got a ticket because he went through the light a second after it turned red, otherwise he would've skidded probably into the center with his brakes.

Ya I remember when they first put in some of those cameras in La Jolla near San Diego a few years ago.

The citizens found out that the company installing the cameras had done a study and determined that they were going to lose money on the project. So they shortened the yellow lights, and moved the sensors to catch more people. When everybody found out they tried to get them removed. Not sure if they did, but I do know they fixed the yellow light portion of the problem.

LibForestPaul
07-28-2010, 05:11 PM

Ya I remember when they first put in some of those cameras in La Jolla near San Diego a few years ago.

The citizens found out that the company installing the cameras had done a study and determined that they were going to lose money on the project. So they shortened the yellow lights, and moved the sensors to catch more people. When everybody found out they tried to get them removed. Not sure if they did, but I do know they fixed the yellow light portion of the problem.

And the friendly, sincere government employees and party who put these program into place ... a massive campaign went forth to remove this jokers, correct?