PDA

View Full Version : David Weigel joins Slate [He "paid a price" for his comments on Journolist]

bobbyw24
07-28-2010, 05:41 AM
Journalist David Weigel, who resigned from the Washington Post last month after a leaked-email controversy, is joining Slate as a political reporter.
"I'm thrilled to be joining Slate, thrilled to be working with writers I've read and respected since logging on to read it meant enduring a symphony of dial-up clicks and hisses," Weigel told The Upshot.

"This is the magazine that invented the sort of journalism I want to do," he continued. "And I'm very pleased that I'll get to continue working the beat I developed at the Post, the Independent and Reason."

Slate Editor David Plotz told The Upshot that Weigel will launch a blog covering politics, but not exclusively on the conservative movement, Weigel's area of expertise. Weigel is also expected to write long-form pieces.

"We’re delighted to have him," Plotz said. "He’s a ball of energy and fearlessness and curiosity."

The Slate gig caps off a whirlwind few months for the Washington reporter and blogger.

The Washington Post hired Weigel from the Washington Independent in March to write a blog about the conservative moment, a beat he’d excelled at in recent years. But Weigel’s tenure was cut short after FishbowlDC and the Daily Caller published emails he wrote on Journolist, an off-the-record, left-leaning listserv.
On Journolist, Weigel had harshly criticized a few conservative political and media figures, raising questions about whether he could be perceived as a fair arbiter in covering the movement for the paper. Weigel offered his resignation, and the Post accepted the following day. And that led, predictably enough, to an avalanche of meta-media debate about whether reporters can share personal opinions and still be perceived as reporting fairly.

Plotz said that Weigel "paid a price" for his comments on Journolist.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100727/pl_yblog_upshot/ex-washington-post-blogger-david-weigel-joins-slate

Epic
07-28-2010, 08:25 AM
"This is the magazine that invented the sort of journalism I want to do,"

Slate invented corrupt journalism by liberals posing as conservatives?

IPSecure
07-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Plotz
lol