PDA

View Full Version : Jeb Bush says NO to 2012 run

bobbyw24
07-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Former Florida GOP Gov. Jeb Bush said Tuesday that he is “not running” for president in 2012.

In a wide-open presidential primary field, Bush’s name has been floated as one of the few potential Republicans who might be able to attract voters beyond the typical GOP ranks. Proponents of a Bush run frequently note his moderate stance on immigration as well as his advocacy for education reform as chief selling points.

Bush had provided fuel to the speculation by recently taking a more active role in this fall’s elections, endorsing New York GOP House candidate Chris Cox and attending a fundraiser for Kentucky Republican Senate nominee Rand Paul.

But asked Tuesday by Louisville’s ABC affiliate WHAS following an event with Paul if he was eyeing a challenge to President Barack Obama, Bush responded flatly: “I am not running for president.”

Bush, the son of former President George H.W. Bush and brother of former President George W. Bush, had previously weighed a Senate run in this year's Senate race, but decided against it.

During his appearance with Paul, Bush repeatedly hit on education reform, his pet issue.

“If kids aren't learning, the fault is with the adults not the students,” Bush said, according to WHAS. “All kids can learn. Period.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0710/40276.html#ixzz0uuAMogJo

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0710/40276.html

Matt Collins
07-27-2010, 11:30 AM
"I'm not running for President" isn't the same as "I will not run for President".

Why else would he be kissing up to the Ron Paul segment of the GOP by fund raising for Rand?

low preference guy
07-27-2010, 01:38 PM
"I'm not running for President" isn't the same as "I will not run for President".

Why else would he be kissing up to the Ron Paul segment of the GOP by fund raising for Rand?

a. Rand is the "R" candidate in a general election. Why was Bush the son "kissing up" to Ron Paul after Ron won the primary in 1996?

b. Maybe they agree on education reform, one of Jeb's pet issues.

itshappening
07-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Bump

lx43
07-27-2010, 01:45 PM
The country can't afford another Bush in the White House.

libertybrewcity
07-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Thank god, one down.

WaltM
07-27-2010, 02:16 PM

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-november-15-2006/moment-of-zen---not-running?xrs=share_copy

Matt Collins
07-27-2010, 02:46 PM
a. Rand is the "R" candidate in a general election. Why was Bush the son "kissing up" to Ron Paul after Ron won the primary in 1996?Because Bush (W/H) was from Texas and so was Ron. It made sense then to support the entire TX Congressional caucus for sake of party unity.

Jeb has zero ties to the KY race and hasn't been heard of much since he left office. There was a reason that he chose this time and place to make an appearance.

b. Maybe they agree on education reform, one of Jeb's pet issues.Perhaps, but that is not a huge issue with Rand's campaign, nor is it a huge issue in KY in this election cycle. The logic doesn't add up.

I believe Jeb is considering a run for President and is attempting to build allies within the Party. Since we are on the upswing it makes sense for him to try and build bridges towards us.

low preference guy
07-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Jeb has zero ties to the KY race and hasn't been heard of much since he left office. There was a reason that he chose this time and place to make an appearance.
Perhaps, but that is not a huge issue with Rand's campaign, nor is it a huge issue in KY in this election cycle. The logic doesn't add up.

Cathy Bailey's close relationship with the Bush family guarantees that Jeb doesn't have "zero ties" to the KY race. After Bailey made her first donation to Rand, it was guaranteed that she would hold a fundraiser for Rand, and once that was established, it would've been a surprise that she didn't invite Jeb, considering her close relationship and Jeb's relatively cleaner image, compared to other Bushes.

Matt Collins
07-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Cathy Bailey's close relationship with the Bush family guarantees that Jeb doesn't have "zero ties" to the KY race. After Bailey made her first donation to Rand, it was guaranteed that she would hold a fundraiser for Rand, and once that was established, it would've been a surprise that she didn't invite Jeb, considering her close relationship and Jeb's relatively cleaner image, compared to other Bushes.
You might be right. But now the question to ask is why he hasn't been attending other high profile fundraisers too, or has he?

low preference guy
07-27-2010, 03:02 PM
You might be right. But now the question to ask is why he hasn't been attending other high profile fundraisers too, or has he?

Because he doesn't have as close a relationship with high profile fundraisers in other states as his family has with Bailey?

Because many states haven't had their primaries yet, so it is not known who is the general election candidate?

Matt Collins
07-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Because he doesn't have as close a relationship with high profile fundraisers in other states as his family has with Bailey?

Because many states haven't had their primaries yet, so it is not known who is the general election candidate?
Very possible. We'll know for sure in a year and a half (probably sooner). :)

jkr
07-27-2010, 05:03 PM
w0w, so did i...