PDA

View Full Version : today could be an interesting day :)

heavenlyboy34
07-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Wikileaks will be providing major world news outlets the controversial documents about Afghanistan. :cool:

The WikiLeaks Afghanistan leak (http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/07/25/wikileaks/index.html)

The most consequential news item of the week will obviously be -- or at least should be -- the massive new leak by WikiLeaks of 90,000 pages of classified material chronicling the truth about the war in Afghanistan from 2004 through 2009. Those documents provide what The New York Times calls "an unvarnished, ground-level picture of the war in Afghanistan that is in many respects more grim than the official portrayal." The Guardian describes the documents as "a devastating portrait of the failing war in Afghanistan, revealing how coalition forces have killed hundreds of civilians in unreported incidents, Taliban attacks have soared and Nato commanders fear neighbouring Pakistan and Iran are fueling the insurgency."

In addition to those two newspapers, WikiLeaks also weeks ago provided these materials to Der Spiegel, on the condition that all three wait until today to write about them. These outlets were presumably chosen by WikiLeaks with the intent to ensure maximum exposure among the American and Western European citizenries which continue to pay for this war and whose governments have been less than forthcoming about what is taking place [a CIA document prepared in March, 2010 -- and previously leaked by WikiLeaks -- plotted how to prevent public opinion in Western Europe from turning further against the war and thus forcing their Governments to withdraw; the CIA's conclusion: the most valuable asset in putting a pretty face on the war for Western Europeans is Barack Obama's popularity with those populations].

The White House has swiftly vowed to continue the war and predictably condemned WikiLeaks rather harshly. It will be most interesting to see how many Democrats -- who claim to find Daniel Ellsberg heroic and the Pentagon Papers leak to be unambiguously justified -- follow the White House's lead in that regard. Ellsberg's leak -- though primarily exposing the amoral duplicity of a Democratic administration -- occurred when there was a Republican in the White House. This latest leak, by contrast, indicts a war which a Democratic President has embraced as his own, and documents similar manipulation of public opinion and suppression of the truth well into 2009. It's not difficult to foresee, as Atrios predicted, that media "coverage of [the] latest [leak] will be about whether or not it should have been published," rather than about what these documents reveal about the war effort and the government and military leaders prosecuting it. What position Democratic officials and administration supporters take in the inevitable debate over WikiLeaks remains to be seen (by shrewdly leaking these materials to 3 major newspapers, which themselves then published many of the most incriminating documents, WikiLeaks provided itself with some cover).

Note how obviously lame is the White House's prime tactic thus far for dismissing the importance of the leak: that the documents only go through December, 2009, the month when Obama ordered his "surge," as though that timeline leaves these documents without any current relevance. The Pentagon Papers only went up through 1968 and were not released until 3 years later (in 1971), yet having the public behold the dishonesty about the war had a significant effect on public opinion, as well as the willingness of Americans to trust future government pronouncements. At the very least, it's difficult to imagine this leak not having the same effect. Then again, since -- unlike Vietnam -- only a tiny portion of war supporters actually bears any direct burden from the war (themselves or close family members fighting it), it's possible that the public will remain largely apathetic even knowing what they will now know. It's relatively easy to support and/or acquiesce to a war when neither you nor your loved ones are risking their lives to fight it.

It's hardly a shock that the war in Afghanistan is going far worse than political officials have been publicly claiming. Aside from the fact that lying about war is what war leaders do almost intrinsically -- that's part of what makes war so degrading to democratic values -- there have been numerous official documents that have recently emerged or leaked out that explicitly state that the war is going worse than ever and is all but unwinnable. A French General was formally punished earlier this month for revealing that the NATO war situation "has never been worse," while French officials now openly plot how to set new "intermediate" benchmarks to ensure -- in their words -- that "public opinion doesn't get the impression of a useless effort." Anyone paying even mild attention knows that our war effort there has entailed countless incidents of civilian slaughter followed by official lies about it, "hit lists" compiled with no due process, and feel-good pronouncements from the Government that have little relationship to the realities in that country (other leak highlights are here). This leak is not unlike the Washington Post series from the last week: the broad strokes were already well-known, but the sheer magnitude of the disclosures may force more public attention on these matters than had occurred previously.

Whatever else is true, WikiLeaks has yet again proven itself to be one of the most valuable and important organizations in the world. Just as was true for the video of the Apache helicopter attack in Baghdad, there is no valid justification for having kept most of these documents a secret. But that's what our National Security State does reflexively: it hides itself behind an essentially absolute wall of secrecy to ensure that the citizenry remains largely ignorant of what it is really doing. WikiLeaks is one of the few entities successfully blowing holes in at least parts of that wall, enabling modest glimpses into what The Washington Post spent last week describing as Top Secret America. The war on WikiLeaks -- which was already in full swing, including, strangely, from some who claim a commitment to transparency -- will only intensify now. Anyone who believes that the Government abuses its secrecy powers in order to keep the citizenry in the dark and manipulate public opinion -- and who, at this point, doesn't believe that? -- should be squarely on the side of the greater transparency which Wikileaks and its sources, sometimes single-handedly, are providing.

For the next week, I'll be on vacation, and away from the blog, returning here Monday, August 2. I'll be spending the week (hopefully) completing several long-term writing projects (including my current book and a long-form magazine article). Daily blogging makes it difficult to devote one's full attention to other work, and these blog "vacations" are thus occasionally necessary. It's possible I'll post a couple of podcast interviews I had planned to record last week, and I may weigh in once or twice on what I'm certain will be the twisted media coverage and government claims about this leak. Otherwise, absent some unforeseen cataclysmic news event, I'll be back here next Monday. Feel free, as always, to use the comment section for any reasonable discussions.

UPDATE: NYU Journalism Professor Jay Rosen has some extremely insightful observations about WikiLeaks and why it frightens so many officials and their media spokespeople.

UPDATE II: The New Yorker's Amy Davidson has a very perceptive analysis explaining the significance of these documents, along with how and why they reveal clear official deception about the war.

In terms of what we're "accomplishing" there, compare this recently released study documenting that our killing of civilians is what causes Afghans to take up arms against the U.S. with this morning's report that a NATO airstrike in Southern Afghanistan last week killed 45 innocent civilians, many of them women and children.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
07-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Wikileaks will be providing major world news outlets the controversial documents about Afghanistan. :cool:

The WikiLeaks Afghanistan leak (http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/07/25/wikileaks/index.html)

The most consequential news item of the week will obviously be -- or at least should be -- the massive new leak by WikiLeaks of 90,000 pages of classified material chronicling the truth about the war in Afghanistan from 2004 through 2009. Those documents provide what The New York Times calls "an unvarnished, ground-level picture of the war in Afghanistan that is in many respects more grim than the official portrayal." The Guardian describes the documents as "a devastating portrait of the failing war in Afghanistan, revealing how coalition forces have killed hundreds of civilians in unreported incidents, Taliban attacks have soared and Nato commanders fear neighbouring Pakistan and Iran are fueling the insurgency."

In addition to those two newspapers, WikiLeaks also weeks ago provided these materials to Der Spiegel, on the condition that all three wait until today to write about them. These outlets were presumably chosen by WikiLeaks with the intent to ensure maximum exposure among the American and Western European citizenries which continue to pay for this war and whose governments have been less than forthcoming about what is taking place [a CIA document prepared in March, 2010 -- and previously leaked by WikiLeaks -- plotted how to prevent public opinion in Western Europe from turning further against the war and thus forcing their Governments to withdraw; the CIA's conclusion: the most valuable asset in putting a pretty face on the war for Western Europeans is Barack Obama's popularity with those populations].

The White House has swiftly vowed to continue the war and predictably condemned WikiLeaks rather harshly. It will be most interesting to see how many Democrats -- who claim to find Daniel Ellsberg heroic and the Pentagon Papers leak to be unambiguously justified -- follow the White House's lead in that regard. Ellsberg's leak -- though primarily exposing the amoral duplicity of a Democratic administration -- occurred when there was a Republican in the White House. This latest leak, by contrast, indicts a war which a Democratic President has embraced as his own, and documents similar manipulation of public opinion and suppression of the truth well into 2009. It's not difficult to foresee, as Atrios predicted, that media "coverage of [the] latest [leak] will be about whether or not it should have been published," rather than about what these documents reveal about the war effort and the government and military leaders prosecuting it. What position Democratic officials and administration supporters take in the inevitable debate over WikiLeaks remains to be seen (by shrewdly leaking these materials to 3 major newspapers, which themselves then published many of the most incriminating documents, WikiLeaks provided itself with some cover).

Note how obviously lame is the White House's prime tactic thus far for dismissing the importance of the leak: that the documents only go through December, 2009, the month when Obama ordered his "surge," as though that timeline leaves these documents without any current relevance. The Pentagon Papers only went up through 1968 and were not released until 3 years later (in 1971), yet having the public behold the dishonesty about the war had a significant effect on public opinion, as well as the willingness of Americans to trust future government pronouncements. At the very least, it's difficult to imagine this leak not having the same effect. Then again, since -- unlike Vietnam -- only a tiny portion of war supporters actually bears any direct burden from the war (themselves or close family members fighting it), it's possible that the public will remain largely apathetic even knowing what they will now know. It's relatively easy to support and/or acquiesce to a war when neither you nor your loved ones are risking their lives to fight it.

It's hardly a shock that the war in Afghanistan is going far worse than political officials have been publicly claiming. Aside from the fact that lying about war is what war leaders do almost intrinsically -- that's part of what makes war so degrading to democratic values -- there have been numerous official documents that have recently emerged or leaked out that explicitly state that the war is going worse than ever and is all but unwinnable. A French General was formally punished earlier this month for revealing that the NATO war situation "has never been worse," while French officials now openly plot how to set new "intermediate" benchmarks to ensure -- in their words -- that "public opinion doesn't get the impression of a useless effort." Anyone paying even mild attention knows that our war effort there has entailed countless incidents of civilian slaughter followed by official lies about it, "hit lists" compiled with no due process, and feel-good pronouncements from the Government that have little relationship to the realities in that country (other leak highlights are here). This leak is not unlike the Washington Post series from the last week: the broad strokes were already well-known, but the sheer magnitude of the disclosures may force more public attention on these matters than had occurred previously.

Whatever else is true, WikiLeaks has yet again proven itself to be one of the most valuable and important organizations in the world. Just as was true for the video of the Apache helicopter attack in Baghdad, there is no valid justification for having kept most of these documents a secret. But that's what our National Security State does reflexively: it hides itself behind an essentially absolute wall of secrecy to ensure that the citizenry remains largely ignorant of what it is really doing. WikiLeaks is one of the few entities successfully blowing holes in at least parts of that wall, enabling modest glimpses into what The Washington Post spent last week describing as Top Secret America. The war on WikiLeaks -- which was already in full swing, including, strangely, from some who claim a commitment to transparency -- will only intensify now. Anyone who believes that the Government abuses its secrecy powers in order to keep the citizenry in the dark and manipulate public opinion -- and who, at this point, doesn't believe that? -- should be squarely on the side of the greater transparency which Wikileaks and its sources, sometimes single-handedly, are providing.

For the next week, I'll be on vacation, and away from the blog, returning here Monday, August 2. I'll be spending the week (hopefully) completing several long-term writing projects (including my current book and a long-form magazine article). Daily blogging makes it difficult to devote one's full attention to other work, and these blog "vacations" are thus occasionally necessary. It's possible I'll post a couple of podcast interviews I had planned to record last week, and I may weigh in once or twice on what I'm certain will be the twisted media coverage and government claims about this leak. Otherwise, absent some unforeseen cataclysmic news event, I'll be back here next Monday. Feel free, as always, to use the comment section for any reasonable discussions.

UPDATE: NYU Journalism Professor Jay Rosen has some extremely insightful observations about WikiLeaks and why it frightens so many officials and their media spokespeople.

UPDATE II: The New Yorker's Amy Davidson has a very perceptive analysis explaining the significance of these documents, along with how and why they reveal clear official deception about the war.

In terms of what we're "accomplishing" there, compare this recently released study documenting that our killing of civilians is what causes Afghans to take up arms against the U.S. with this morning's report that a NATO airstrike in Southern Afghanistan last week killed 45 innocent civilians, many of them women and children.

And to think that some people have read and absorbed these 90,000 pages while I have yet to understand a single paragraph written by Noam Chomsky. I do appreciate your writing though as it does help me put things in perspective in regards to the little one trespassing on the street. Thank you. Enjoy your vacation. Remember, don't take more than a week. When you do, try to enjoy yourself as much as possible so that you can remember how to feel at your work when you come back. That way, you never come back from vacation.

puppetmaster
07-27-2010, 11:04 AM
nope, turns out it is all Irans fault......yep nuke em....LOL

heavenlyboy34
07-27-2010, 11:25 AM
nope, turns out it is all irans fault......yep nuke em....lol

lmao!!;)

awake
07-27-2010, 11:32 AM
This is the "cyber warfare" that the Pentagon has been propagandizing about for some time. The greatest ironical aspect about all of this is that the greatest enemy of the state, is and always will be the truth. Those who tell it will be prosecuted.

The Pentagon is most certainly viewing Wikilinks as the enemy... I really like the the downplaying of the information as not processed or interpreted the right way... lol.

specsaregood
07-27-2010, 11:36 AM
This is the "cyber warfare" that the Pentagon has been propagandizing about for some time. The greatest ironical aspect about all of this is that the greatest enemy of the state, is and always will be the truth. Those who tell it will be prosecuted.

The Pentagon is most certainly viewing Wikilinks as the enemy...

Actually from the bit I saw on foxnews, it appears to me that the pentagon has used wikileaks, not to "leak" information, but rather to push propaganda. This "leaked" info will be used as the reason to take the war to Iran. It was no accident, it wasn't "leaked". It was spoonfed.

awake
07-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Actually from the bit I saw on foxnews, it appears to me that the pentagon has used wikileaks, not to "leak" information, but rather to push propaganda. This "leaked" info will be used as the reason to take the war to Iran. It was no accident, it wasn't "leaked". It was spoonfed.

Could very well be...

Slutter McGee
07-27-2010, 11:41 AM

Somebody just came up with a bit of a conspiracy theory that I believe could be very plausible. Wonders never cease.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

TigerPrwn
07-27-2010, 11:50 AM

I am with you specsaregood.
For another perspective, check this out:

Alex talks with John Young of Cryptome, a website that acts as a repository for information about freedom of speech, cryptography, spying, surveillance, and documents for publication that are prohibited by governments worldwide. John and Alex discuss the recent release of 92,000 classified documents on the war in Afghanistan by the renegade website WikiLeaks.
http://www.prisonplanet.com/the-alex-jones-show-–-july-26th-with-john-young.html

I have noticed the infighting between Cryptome and Wikileaks. John Young is extremely skeptical of Assange (to put it lightly). I think the interview is well worth the listen. Cryptome has some good documentation on wikkileaks as well.
http://cryptome.org/

awake
07-27-2010, 11:53 AM
I am tended to believe that this was legit, as the U.S. popular support of these wars are a sacred cow. A propagandist would would never purposely attack it. Public opinion is everything and these reports shed a bad light on the American war machine.

TigerPrwn
07-27-2010, 12:16 PM
I am tended to believe that this was legit, as the U.S. popular support of these wars are a sacred cow. A propagandist would would never purposely attack it. Public opinion is everything and these reports shed a bad light on the American war machine.

Normally I would agree with you, but I fear that the reason even the neocons are going on about how we cannot win in Afghanistan- is so that we can move our troops from Afghanistan to Pakistan. The timing of Ron Paul and Kucinich's bill is also interesting, They seem to be beating the Pakistan war drums louder and louder.

Also if you listen to that interview that I posted, it was mentioned that this "leak" will be used as an excuse to regulate blogs and places like Wikileaks and Cryptome. I have heard several in the MSM call for more control: Never let a good "crisis" go to waste...

A sends via PGPboard, 25 July 2010:
Wikileaks Spin Manning's Legal Representation

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-06-18/wikileaks-/

Quote:

Birgitta Jonsdottir, a parliamentarian in Iceland who acts as a spokeswoman for the website, said in a telephone interview from Reykjavik that the Pentagon had refused this week to allow the lawyers to meet the Army intel analyst, Bradley Manning. Jonsdottir said Assange had hired private lawyers several days ago because of growing alarm that the accused whistleblower is being mistreated by the Defense Department.

Unquote

The above statement goes beyond the realms of spin. Birgitta Jonsdottir; a left wing Icelandic politician is being very economical with the truth; and is behaving true to her stereotype as a persistent and predicable anti American loud mouth. Many WIKILEAKS activists consider Birgitta Jonsdottir a liability to WIKILEAKS; responsible for introducing excessive political bias into our output. This was evident with her naming, editing, and commentary of the gunship video.

Assange has not hired any private attorneys to represent Assange. This revealed in our last message to CRYPTOME.

http://cryptome.org/0001/wikileaks-legal.htm

If this is not the case; then we challenge Assange and Jonsdottir to name the law firm they have hired; and for the law firm to provide us all with an update concerning this issue.

We would be looking for the formal notice of representation with to the JAG office in Kuwait from an experienced law firm specialising in military justice. This should then be followed up with an official request for discovery.

In the meantime, Manning remains in detention; with no help from WIKILEAKS, whilst Assange tries to milk donors for $200,000 in order to hire a non existent team of attorneys.

Birgitta Jonsdittir uses the occasion to continue her anti American agenda, and compromise WIKILEAKS credibility.

Wikileaks Insiders

Added On July 26, 2010
A co-founder of WikiLeaks tells CNN's Jim Clancy people should be cautious of Wikileaks document dump.
http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2010/07/26/intv.wikileaks.founder.caution.cnn?hpt=T1

John Young: ...They revealed that they were continuing to raise $5,000,000 in the first year, and I had a problem with that scale of money-raising. So I criticized it and said that the only way you can raise that kind of money that fast would be for some corrupt source of money or a government agency, so they booted me off the list.

CNN: ... what is the risk that some of the leaks ...could be coming from intelligence agencies that really, you know, want to see the information leaked?

John Young: That's right... leaks are typically manipulated. There are no clean leaks. Every leak is a form of manipulated information. That's the nature of leaks. That's why they're out there. So that whoever 'leaks' something, and that's a term I don't like very much, but whoever leaks something leaks it with an agenda.

CNN:...when they leak it with an agenda it draws into question why ...

John Young: ..."the main thing you need to check on is whether documents are genuine or not. And I should point out, and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else, this is the first leak of digital documents. There are no paper records here. I can't find any paper records; it's all digital. I've looked at the Guardian site, the New York Times site, the Wikileaks sites - as far as I can see - everything is digital. And digital material is notoriously forgeable, manipulable and corruptable. There is no provenance for this information.

specsaregood
07-27-2010, 12:29 PM

At the same time, they leaked it to the New York Times first who went to the Obama admin for the "ok" to publish.

freshjiva
07-27-2010, 12:37 PM
:)

Man, I love the internet...

heavenlyboy34
07-27-2010, 12:40 PM
At the same time, they leaked it to the New York Times first who went to the Obama admin for the "ok" to publish.

That's how I understand it. Strange how the "right" is still having a fit, even though it's "approved" info, isn't it? ;) I doubt the regime is pleased with how this turned out. They usually don't take such risks.

libertybrewcity
07-27-2010, 02:18 PM

probably more important than the wikileaks news. more innocent people dying. let's end this thing.

libertybrewcity
07-27-2010, 02:19 PM
wikileaks is down right now. anyone else have the same problem?

specsaregood
07-27-2010, 02:43 PM
probably more important than the wikileaks news. more innocent people dying. let's end this thing.

Let's end it by bringing the troops home, let's not "end it" by moving them to another foreign country. Just expounding because it seems that is the last thing they have in mind.

libertybrewcity
07-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Let's end it by bringing the troops home, let's not "end it" by moving them to another foreign country. Just expounding because it seems that is the last thing they have in mind.

yea, bring em home.

heavenlyboy34
07-27-2010, 02:49 PM
wikileaks is down right now. anyone else have the same problem?
It works fine for me. :cool:

libertybrewcity
07-27-2010, 02:50 PM
It works fine for me. :cool:

back on now, NVM!