PDA

View Full Version : Support the The American Conservative magazine

Badger Paul
07-27-2010, 08:33 AM
TAC is kicking off a two-week online fundraising blitz today. We have a
progress bar and a text block on the front page with a quote explaining why TAC is important to stimulate the flow of ideas and debate within conservative circles and in opinion journalism as a whole. At a time when many are saying the conservative mind is closing, TAC is needed now more than ever.

If your own fortunes are not flagging too badly in
these troubled times, we ask if you can please donate whatever you can.
We have to raise about $100,000 to get TAC back into print this fall.
The response to our appeal in the current issue has been greatly
encouraging, and so are the early returns from a mailing we sent to
past donors. Those efforts and a few more that are underway take us
reasonably close to our goal; but to reach it, we need the webathon to
meet its $25,000 target as well.

You can donate at www.amconmag.com

Thank You

WaltM
07-27-2010, 08:36 AM
We? You work for AmCon?

Cowlesy
07-27-2010, 08:38 AM
Love The American Conservative --- will do what I can.

WaltM
07-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Love The American Conservative --- will do what I can.

are you a subscriber?

I'd subscribe before donating, or gift subscribe, better to get something back for something :)

angelatc
07-27-2010, 08:51 AM
are you a subscriber?

I'd subscribe before donating, or gift subscribe, better to get something back for something :)

I subscribe and I also donated again. It's the most important conservative magazine beung published today IMHO.

They might not be legally allowed to sell subscriptions if they're not sure they're going to be able to get back into print though.

Matt Collins
07-27-2010, 09:12 AM
They give Ron a ton of press and are the true anti-war conservatives.

Cowlesy
07-27-2010, 09:29 AM
are you a subscriber?

At least for the next two years I am according to my records as of this past spring.

Not only do many people write favorably of Ron Paul in the magazine, but they have lots of great book reviews, articles on society. Sometimes magazines get a little too current-event'y for me. The American Conservative has a good balance of a variety of commentary and opinion. For all the vitriole people have toward Pat Buchanan and Taki Theodoracopulos, I never find their magazine becoming an echo-chamber.

Cowlesy
07-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Oh yeah, and if you can't stand Neoconservatives, you'll love The American Conservative.

Not to mention TAC TV features Jack Hunter of Southern Avenger fame.

wehrwd
07-27-2010, 08:07 PM
I'm a longtime subscriber to TAC and I can vouch for the magazine. It's a publication absolutely worth donating to. The editors endorsed Ron Paul in the 2008 Republican presidential primary and its one of the few genuinely conservative publications out there that has a correct view on foreign and monetary policy. I was disappointed when the magazine was forced to switch from bi-weekly to monthly last year and I hope it will at least be able to keep going.

Cowlesy
07-28-2010, 08:50 AM
Thank you for your generous donation to The American Conservative.

Here is your donation confirmation information. Please keep a copy for your records.

Authorization Code: 02889C
Transaction ID: 3105265055
Donation Amount: $500.00

Keep this great publication alive!

WaltM
07-28-2010, 10:45 AM
I subscribe and I also donated again. It's the most important conservative magazine beung published today IMHO.

They might not be legally allowed to sell subscriptions if they're not sure they're going to be able to get back into print though.

fair enough, but in that case, they already owe a portion of their subscribers their future subscriptions.

WaltM
07-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Keep this great publication alive!

WOW

I wish I knew more of their readership & advertising rates.

angelatc
07-28-2010, 12:16 PM
WOW

I wish I knew more of their readership & advertising rates.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/daniel.mccarthy?ref=ts - Daniel McCarthy is their editor. He's friendly enough - ask him.

angelatc
07-28-2010, 12:19 PM
fair enough, but in that case, they already owe a portion of their subscribers their future subscriptions.

I'm sure they do, but hopefully most of them are willing to sacrifice for the greater good. I prefer that they remain a print format, but if they don't, then I'll subscribe to their web content.

I can't believe you've never read this magazine. :)

ChaosControl
07-30-2010, 02:06 PM
I should subscribe.

I remember getting a trial a while back and it was a good magazine.

lx43
07-30-2010, 10:24 PM
I'll have to read some of their articles, this is the first I've heard of this magazine.

Cowlesy
08-17-2010, 12:11 PM
I'll have to read some of their articles, this is the first I've heard of this magazine.

Well worth it in my opinion. They're getting very near their fundraising goal.

https://www.amconmag.com/donate.html

http://www.amconmag.com/

http://www2.starrcorp.com/acm/

Cowlesy
09-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Got to enjoy a nice evening of dinner and conversation with Daniel McCarthy and Lewis McCrary of The American Conservative tonight.

They hope to be back in print very very soon as they raise funds.

For the conservatives on the forum (and there are some), and even libertarians, TAC is an amazing magazine that covers not just politics, but also culture, art and philosophy. They are the one conservative magazine that is unafraid to lock horns and tangle with the neoconservatives.

I was extremely impressed by Messrs. McCarthy and McCrary, and hope that you will visit their website www.amconmag.com and even if not subscribe, consider supporting them by reading and sharing links to their work. I hope that conservatives here will consider supporting TAC, as we really need a print magazine like it on shelves and on coffee tables everywhere.

www.amconmag.com

RonPaulIsGreat
09-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Never Heard of the Magazine before, looking at some of the cover stories it looks like it might be worth subscribing.

They could redo the advertising on their site to make more money from the ads, the ad placement is not ideal to say the least. They should put a the large box ad unit, inside the article with the text wrapped around it, and scrap that whole side bar ad. I'd nearly guarantee they'd double or triple their ad revenue.

Anyway, going to read some up there, might subscribe.

BuddyRey
09-28-2010, 12:50 AM
I've never read TAC either. What's its general editorial line?

Cowlesy
09-28-2010, 06:52 AM
Never Heard of the Magazine before, looking at some of the cover stories it looks like it might be worth subscribing.

They could redo the advertising on their site to make more money from the ads, the ad placement is not ideal to say the least. They should put a the large box ad unit, inside the article with the text wrapped around it, and scrap that whole side bar ad. I'd nearly guarantee they'd double or triple their ad revenue.

Anyway, going to read some up there, might subscribe.

Taki Thedoracopulos, Pat Buchanan and Scott McConnell, I believe, started it because during the drumbeat for the Iraq War in 2002, there were no conservative voices espousing the true conservative opinion (of being anti-war), because the neoconservatives would seek to ruin you for doing so.

Like you, I hadn't heard of the magazine until recently (2010) for me. Best subscription I've bought this year. The nice thing is, even though it'll probably be a month or so until I get my next issue as they gear back up, all their issues are saved in PDF online for subscribers, and many of the articles are timeless.

I've never read TAC either. What's its general editorial line?

There is a traditional american conservative line, but also libertarian items, and very much anti-war. Jon Basil Utley, who is associate publisher, also writes for antiwar.com.

The Managing Editor's blog is called the "Tory Anarchist," to give you some idea.

http://www.amconmag.com/mccarthy/

angelatc
09-28-2010, 07:03 AM
Got to enjoy a nice evening of dinner and conversation with Daniel McCarthy and Lewis McCrary of The American Conservative tonight.

Ok, I don't say these words often, but I am totally jealous.

ETA - I am so surprised that so many of us haven't read this magazine. It is the only print publication that I get any more. And while I'm not a packrat, I save every issue.

Cowlesy
09-28-2010, 07:05 AM
Ok, I don't say these words often, but I am totally jealous.

Yeah you would have enjoyed it! John Derbyshire, Jon Basil Utley and Taki were there, too, along with a lot of other very nice folks. It's always nice to meet some likeminded individuals in your area (albeit some came up from DC).

angelatc
09-28-2010, 07:16 AM
Yeah you would have enjoyed it! John Derbyshire, Jon Basil Utley and Taki were there, too, along with a lot of other very nice folks. It's always nice to meet some likeminded individuals in your area (albeit some came up from DC).

OMG! Taki too? You are too cool! :D

It's awesome that you're able to get out there, putting a great face on the movement.

Cowlesy
09-28-2010, 08:22 AM
OMG! Taki too?

That dude is one of a kind, that's for sure haha

Cowlesy
09-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Great article by Daniel McCarthy, Managing Editor, on Irving Kristol and the neoconservatives.

http://www.amconmag.com/article/2009/dec/01/00014/

Cowlesy
09-30-2010, 08:49 PM
PJB has an article up thinking about whether the War Party will take over the Tea Party once the election is finalized.

http://www.amconmag.com/blog/2010/09/30/tea-party-vs-war-party/

Tea Party vs. War Party
Posted on September 30th, 2010 by Patrick J. Buchanan

“We’re all on the same page until the polls close Nov. 2,” Richard Viguerie, the longtime conservative strategist who has allied with the Tea Party, told The New York Times. After that, “a massive, almost historic battle for the heart and soul of the Republican Party begins.”

Indeed, such a battle seems unavoidable. Consider.

The great issue uniting and motivating the Republican Party and Tea Party is the deficit-debt crisis, a national debt nearing 100 percent of gross domestic product and a deficit of 10 percent of GDP.

As to the cause of the deficit that could precipitate a run on the dollar, double-digit inflation, even a default, the Tea Party and GOP also agree — federal spending that consumes 25 percent of GDP.

You can read the rest at the link here... (http://www.amconmag.com/blog/2010/09/30/tea-party-vs-war-party/)

Anti Federalist
09-30-2010, 10:58 PM
I kicked in a few dollars.

It's worth it.

Cowlesy
10-17-2010, 07:29 AM
A very good read about the publishing world in relation to the wars.

http://www.amconmag.com/blog/military-publishing-complex/

Via our friends at TomDispatch.com, a report on how authors of pro-war tracts have become contractors for the Defense Department.

By Nick Turse

Quick — name the five most important, influential, and best known books on the Afghan War. Okay, name three. Okay, I’ll settle for two. How about one?

While the American war in Vietnam raged, publishers churned out books whose titles still resonate. In 1967 alone, classics like Mary McCarthy’s Vietnam, Howard Zinn’s Vietnam: The Logic of Withdrawal, Thich Nhat Hanh’s Vietnam: Lotus in a Sea of Fire, not to mention Norman Mailer’s Why Are We in Vietnam: A Novel all hit the shelves.

In fact, between 1962 and 1970, as American involvement in the conflict accelerated and peaked, some 9,430 books were written about the Vietnam War. From 2002 to 2010, less than half as many — 4,221 texts of all types — have been written about the Afghan War.

Of course, it didn’t help that, from 2003-2008, the Iraq War sucked up all the attention and left Afghanistan largely “forgotten,” analytically and otherwise, nor did it help that the Afghan War never had a significant antiwar movement. The vibrant, large-scale movement of the Vietnam years, filled with people eager to learn more about just what they were protesting, proved an engine that drove publishers. Significant numbers of books produced by and for members of that movement investigated aspects of the civilian suffering the American war brought to Indochina. Not surprisingly, the Afghan War has produced many fewer works on the conflict’s human fallout, and books like Zinn’s, calling for withdrawal, have been few and far between.

Four decades ago, a stream of books was being produced for popular audiences that exposed the nature of war-making and focused readers’ attention on the misery caused by U.S. military actions abroad. Today, a startling percentage of the authors who bother to focus on the current conflict are producing works dedicated to waging the seemingly endless American war in Afghanistan better.

Much more can be read at the link here... (http://www.amconmag.com/blog/military-publishing-complex/)

Cowlesy
10-17-2010, 07:40 PM
I kicked in a few dollars.

It's worth it.

How did I miss this post?

Thanks so much, AF. I believe the printing presses will be fired up this month and a new magazine should be on the way to subscribers in the next month or so *woohoo*.

Cowlesy
11-21-2010, 01:55 PM
Christmas is coming up --- give your favorite conservative a dose of the traditional conservative view with a discounted subscription purchase!!

http://ezsub.net/isapi/foxisapi.dll/main.sv.run?jt=starr_wc&PUBID=ACM&SOURCE=INET&RDRID=&SBTYPE=QN&PGTP=S

(It's a weird link, because I think they have a third party manage their subscription).

Linke I posted can also be found at www.amconmag.com

Cowlesy
03-29-2011, 09:23 PM
I have to say, you all really need to read the current issue of The American Conservative. Maybe find it on a newsstand. There are some outstanding non-intervention articles, a big article about Rand, a profile of Mike Church....and all sorts of great articles on topics.

Personally, you should consider subscribing at www.amconmag.com --- or at least visit and read some of the articles they've posted. This magazine really should have a lot more exposure compared to Weekly Standard and National Review.

Matt Collins
03-29-2011, 09:35 PM
I have to say, you all really need to read the current issue of The American Conservative. Maybe find it on a newsstand. There are some outstanding non-intervention articles, a big article about Rand, a profile of Mike Church....and all sorts of great articles on topics.

Personally, you should consider subscribing at www.amconmag.com --- or at least visit and read some of the articles they've posted. This magazine really should have a lot more exposure compared to Weekly Standard and National Review.
If I could afford it, I would.

heavenlyboy34
03-29-2011, 09:38 PM
I've never read it. Is it a partisan rag?

Sola_Fide
03-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks Cowlesy.

My Dad is a GOP county coordinator here in Kentucky and I really need to stop putting it off and send him a subscription.

Matt Collins
03-29-2011, 10:06 PM
I've never read it. Is it a partisan rag?No it's not. It's a paleoconservative / Constitutionalist type of magazine. I think Pat Buchanan ownes it or has a large stake in it.

Napoleon's Shadow
09-08-2011, 12:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDe8cxCPobw