PDA

View Full Version : State Trooper Kills grandmother and child trying to catch a speeder

Rael
07-27-2010, 01:17 AM
Trooper going 120 mph before crash
Thursday, May 27, 2010

GUILFORD COUNTY (WTVD) -- A preliminary accident report shows a North Carolina Highway Patrol officer was traveling at 120 miles per hour before a crash that killed a grandmother and an 11-year-old child.

Investigators say Trooper J.D. Goodnight slowed to 95 mph before he hit a car driven by 55-year-old Sandra Allmond.

Allmond and 11-year-old Taylor Strange were killed by the force of the impact that split their car in half - leaving the engine and front wheels on the other side of the highway. Two other children in the back seat survived the crash and were treated and released from a local hospital.

According to the Highway Patrol, Goodnight was traveling southbound on the Interstate 85 Business Loop just before noon Sunday in Jamestown when he clocked a Buick Skylark traveling northbound at 80 mph in a 55 mph zone. He activated his blue lights and turned around headed north. He slammed into Allmond as she was turning left at a green light at the River Road intersection.

It's not clear if Goodnight was using his siren. The accident report released Thursday says witnesses did not hear one.

It also says Allmond "failed to yield" and witnesses reported that Goodnight steered to the right to try and avoid the crash but was unable to.

Click here to read the report (.pdf)

At a morning news conference, Highway Patrol Commander Colonel Randy Glover told reporters he has agreed for the Attorney General's Office to do an independent investigation into the crash.

"Our hearts go out to the families," said Glover. "I am a family man myself and I have an 10-year-old girl. It rips at my heart."

But Glover said troopers have a job to do.

"They try their best to keep everyone safe, but sometimes things happen," he said.

Glover pledged to get to the bottom of what happened.

"We will answer the questions that arise in this investigation," said Glover.

A final internal report on the crash is expected in 6-8 weeks. In the meantime, Goodnight is on paid leave.

Officials said they were looking at their policies as a result of the crash. They said there was no internal policy that sets a maximum speed allowed in pursuits. Officers are expected to rely on their training to determine what is safe.

Family reaction

Strange's mother Michele Casler blamed speed for the crash in comments to reporters Wednesday.
Related Content

"Speed was a cause of this tragedy. I believe that if it was not for speed this would not have happened," she said.

Casler said her daughter was about to graduate from the fifth grade.

"She was my only child and was my whole world," she said.

The First Pentecostal Church is accepting donations for the Allmond family. For more information, contact the church at (336) 884-5661 or Pastor Lark Lewis at (336) 561-7811.

Rael
07-27-2010, 01:26 AM
EXCLUSIVE: Witness says
‘There was no high-speed chase'

July 14, 2010

by Ogi Overman

An eyewitness and first responder to the May 23 fatal accident at River Road disputes reported claims that Trooper J.D. Goodnight was in hot pursuit at the time.

Terry Johnson knows the smell of death. He knows the look, the feel, the taste, the specter all too well. As a combat Ranger in the U.S. Army Special Forces during the Vietnam War, he is better acquainted with death than he'd like to be. He has taken lives and he has saved lives; he has cradled comrades in his arms as they drew their final breath.
Forty-three years removed from the horrors of war, Johnson thought he had experienced the worst imaginable. He thought his days of seeing carnage and bloodshed up close and personal were long relegated to the dim past. More fortunate than many of his combat brethren, the ravages of post-traumatic stress disorder had eluded him, and he had gone on to live a productive, successful life, normal in every measurable way.
But that aura of normalcy was shattered the morning of May 23, 2010. In the blink of an eye, a pleasant Sunday morning drive down Business I-85 turned into a nightmare rivaling anything he had seen in Vietnam, Laos or Cambodia. It fell to Terry Johnson to hold the hand and stroke the forehead of another human being as she lay dying.
Yet, in the process, the 63-year-old combat vet has drawn a metaphorical target on his back that seems destined to put him in the crosshairs of public and media scrutiny as surely as if he were a sniper's prey.
Most central North Carolina residents are aware of the tragic events of that morning. Sandra Allmond, a 55-year-old Thomasville grandmother, and Taylor Strange, an 11-year-old sixth-grader at Jamestown Elementary School, lost their lives when Allmond turned into the path of the Dodge Charger being driven by N.C. State Highway Patrol trooper J.D. Goodnight. Two of Strange's classmates at Jamestown Elementary, Elijah Allmond and Steven Strange, were seriously injured but survived, while Goodnight was treated and released.
XXAllmond, taking the kids home after attending church at First Pentecostal Church in High Point, was making a left turn from the northbound lane of Business I-85 at the light at River Road. Goodnight, a 10-year veteran of the patrol, according to all published reports, was involved in a high-speed chase pursuing a blue Buick Skylark that he had clocked doing 80 mph in the 55 mph zone. His vehicle was said to have reached a top speed of 125 mph before slowing to 95 at the point of impact. The two vehicles collided in the intersection, severing Allmond's Honda Accord in two, with the front end landing, according to an accident reconstruction team, 137 feet away and Goodnight's vehicle coming to rest in the woods 225 feet after the crash.
XXBut while the two vehicles wound up a couple of hundred feet apart, the two versions of events leading up to the fatal crash are miles and miles apart. The official version has maintained from the outset that the trooper was in hot pursuit, initially chasing a Pontiac Grand Am but later changed to a Buick Skylark. Reports the following day added that the vehicle was occupied by four black males.
Eyewitness and first responder Terry Johnson tells a radically different story. In an exclusive interview with the Jamestown News July 6, Johnson claimed that there was no high-speed chase, no Buick Skylark, no four passengers.
“The only four passengers he saw were in that Honda,” said Johnson, “and two of them died.”
XXJohnson, who lives with his wife in an upscale neighborhood near Jamestown, related a detailed, explicit, moment-by-moment sequence of events leading up to the crash, which included two trips through the area in question with a reporter, that, at best, calls into question Trooper Goodnight's explanation and, at worst, completely contradicts it.

XXJohnson's version is as follows:
XXHe pulled onto Business I-85 at the Vickrey Chapel Road interchange, heading south toward High Point at approximately 11:40 a.m. that Sunday. Just as the acceleration lane ends there is a paved crossover in the median, where he spotted a highway patrol vehicle. Shortly thereafter there is a sign warning that an intersection is one-half mile ahead. The patrolman had pulled in behind him by the time he passed that sign, and both proceeded at 55 mph.
XX“I figured he was running my license tags,” said Johnson, “because he pulled right in behind me and stayed there.”
XXThere is another sign a quarter mile from the intersection, this one with two flags and a flashing yellow light. There are also large white letters on the pavement saying the intersection is 1,000 feet away. This is where Johnson claimed that the patrolman pulled out from behind him into the left lane and immediately accelerated. Approximately four car-lengths in front of him, he turned on his blue lights.
XX“From the time he pulled out, he probably had three to four seconds before impact,” estimated Johnson. “He did try to slow down, but by then it was way too late. The Honda was already out in the middle of the intersection. She never knew what hit her.
XX“Ironically, the color scheme on my truck is gray over silver, the same as a state patrol car. She looked up and saw my truck doing 55 down the hill and figured she had plenty of time to make the turn. And in that split-second he pulled out.”
XXObviously, this version does not comport with a high-speed chase.
“The one thing that's been consistent with every report is that Goodnight was on a high-speed chase,” said Johnson, “and I'm telling you that is absolutely impossible. I had a clear line of vision both ways and there was no speeding vehicle going either way. The left lane was clear and there was no one behind me except Goodnight after he pulled out. If he was on a chase, all he had to do was pull out in the left lane and get it. So why would he take the time to follow me at 55 for almost a quarter mile?”
XXJohnson arrived at the scene almost simultaneously with two other witnesses, Donald Ross and Michael Perry, who were traveling northbound behind Allmond and witnessed the crash from that vantage point.
XX“We were right behind the car as it turned at the light,” said Ross July 10. “We saw every bit of it.” But while he witnessed the impact, Ross could not recall the moments leading up to it and could not confirm or deny whether the patrol vehicle was already in hot pursuit or pulled out from behind Johnson mere moments before.
XXHis recollections of the moments after the crash did confirm Johnson's statements. “I cut the seat belt loose from around the little girl,” Ross said.
XX“I was running around triaging everyone before the EMTs got there,” said Johnson, “and I remember asking one of the other two guys who stopped if they had a knife to cut that seat belt.”
XXPerry could not be reached for comment. Ross and Johnson both said they filled out an eyewitness report and, presumably, so did Perry.
XX“I was interviewed by three state troopers at the scene prior to me starting my witness statement,” said Johnson. “They were primarily interested in whether he had his blue lights on and whether he had the green or red light (at the intersection). And, of course, I told them it was green and that he hit his blue lights about four car-lengths in front of me after he pulled out.”
XXBoth were also interviewed by a member of the accident reconstruction team. Ross did not recall who conducted the interview with him, but Johnson did.
XX“Sgt. (Mark) Davidson is the guy who interviewed me,” said Johnson, “He and his partner came to my house the following day, Monday, and interviewed me on tape for about an hour and a half. He asked me specifically did I ever get the sense that Officer Goodnight had any urgency to do anything, and I said no. He pulled in behind me and we trundled down the road for a quarter mile at 55, and then he kicked his car in the butt and took off and killed two people. That's the bottom line.
XX“That interview is out there. I told them everything I'm telling you. Both my written statement and a taped interview will totally refute the information their office is putting out there.”
XXWhile Sgt. Davidson is not allowed by policy to comment on an ongoing investigation, the patrol's public information officer, Sgt. Jeff Gordon, did shed some light on the situation.
XX“I spoke with Sgt. Davidson and he said he interviewed three people traveling in the southbound lane, one of them being Trooper Goodnight, and one in the northbound,” he said Monday, July 12. “All were recorded and will be summarized as part of the final report. He said that Mr. Johnson's version of events as you described them to me, were essentially what he told him. The discrepancy comes in where he fell in behind him and gunned it.
XX“Obviously I can't comment on the report, but what I can tell you is that sometimes what people perceive as correct may be interpreted differently by someone else. I don't know if this is the case as far as Mr, Johnson's recollection. I don't think it's fiction, he just may have a different perception in his eye as to what transpired leading up to the accident. But I wasn't there so it's hard for me to say.”
XXA source within the Highway Patrol who spoke only on condition of anonymity said that the final report would be completed “soon,” but would not elaborate on exactly how soon.
XXBut why did Johnson wait six weeks before going public with his story?
XX“I waited awhile because there are two investigations going on (one by the accident reconstruction team that shut down Business I-85 four hours May 26 to take measurements and record other pertinent data for a 3-D movie, and another by the N.C. Attorney General's Office),” he said. “I was obviously involved in the first one but find it remarkable that in the second one no one has bothered to call an eyewitness and the first guy on the scene. I've cooperated every way possible but it appears they don't want my help.”
XXThere appears to be an explanation why he has not been contacted by the Attorney General's office. According to Noelle Talley, Public Information Officer for the N.C. Attorney General's Office, their involvement is limited to liability issues.
XX“Our office represents state government agencies whenever they get sued,” she said, “and in anticipation of a lawsuit being filed against the Highway Patrol related to this accident, our office along with the state's insurance carrier, which is Traveler's Insurance, hired an outside engineering firm to review the accident. So that's what's been going on; there's not any kind of investigation by investigators within our office.
“I think the Highway Patrol was also doing their own thing (during the accident reconstruction), but from what I know of who was hired by the state's insurance carrier, ours was an engineering firm.”
Still, Johnson said he felt the time was right to come forward.
“I can't carry this around anymore,” he said. “I feel like it's my duty to two families who are still grieving and are not getting any answers. They're willing to put out erroneous information to protect one of their own, which is what it looks like to me. They've had this long to straighten it out and haven't done it, and it's not right. It stinks.”
Just like the smell of death.

Mini-Me
07-27-2010, 01:36 AM
I think I'm done for the night...Jesus. :(

SWATH
07-27-2010, 06:53 AM
So while trying to punish a speeder in the unlikely event that they hurt someone, a cop can speed and actually kill people. Yes sir I believe that is how it works.

Krugerrand
07-27-2010, 07:29 AM
So while trying to punish a speeder in the unlikely event that they hurt someone, a cop can speed and actually kill people. Yes sir I believe that is how it works.

Or, as it appears to be in this case ... kill two people and claim that you were chasing a speeder so that it's all okay.

roho76
07-27-2010, 08:02 AM
How do you yield to a cop car going 120mph?

SWATH
07-27-2010, 08:27 AM
"So I had to take some pants back because they didn't fit but when I was getting on the subway I slipped and fell in some mud, RUINING the very pants I was returning."

"Wait I don't understand, you were wearing the pants you were returning? What were you going to wear after you took them back?"

"Elaine...are you listening...I didn't even make it there"

"?????"

WaltM
07-27-2010, 08:35 AM
this could've been avoided if there were more police around waiting, not chasing after the speeder, speeding is very dangerous.

Krugerrand
07-27-2010, 08:42 AM
this could've been avoided if there were more police around waiting, not chasing after the speeder, speeding is very dangerous.

So, are you assuming there was a speeder other than the cop?

Stary Hickory
07-27-2010, 08:54 AM
That will teach that guy to speed anymore.

"If you dont stop speeding I will kill old people"

It should be a new police campaign. Stop or I will kill Grandma.

SWATH
07-27-2010, 09:01 AM
It reminds me of those sting operations where the police sells cocaine then arrests people for buying it. Well is it illegal to sell cocaine or not? Yes. Then they should arrest themselves. Oh but they don't profit from it...yeah right. Can I sell cocaine to a hooker, then detain her in a cage when she springs the trap as long as I only use the money to catch more hookers?

puppetmaster
07-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Cops Lie...fact. My sisters EX husband who was a cop used to call in false pursuits on the radio to have fun...he did get caught and eventually fired...only to be rehired by another dept.
They take the bad stuff out of your records so you can get rehired.

Philhelm
07-27-2010, 11:11 AM
But Glover said troopers have a job to do.

"They try their best to keep everyone safe, but sometimes things happen," he said.

That sums everything up; sometimes things just happen...

JK/SEA
07-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Collateral damage in that ongoing war for Public Safety.....

I wonder if the State will hold a Public, taxpayer funded memorial service, with Police and family together in a funeral procession down main street with the bag pipes, motorcycles, and media coverage for a couple weeks..?...

Rael
07-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Lawsuits expected in May 23 fatal crash

July 28, 2010

by Ogi Overman

Last Thursday, July 22, the North Carolina Attorney General's Office released a statement saying the report it commissioned to investigate the May 23 accident that claimed two lives in Jamestown would not be released to the public. Their investigation was one of two that was conducted three days after the crash at the intersection of Business 85 and River Road involving N.C. State Highway Patrolman J.D. Goodnight that killed Sandra Allmond, 55, and Taylor Strange, 11, and injured two passengers in the back seat, Steven Strange and Elijah Allmond. The highway patrol held its own concurrent investigation, using an accident reconstruction team, and that report is expected to be released soon.
XXThe Attorney General's statement read: “Our office is charged with defending the state whenever it gets sued. Since this accident is likely to result in a lawsuit or tort claim being filed against the state, the tort claims section of the state's insurance company asked a private engineering firm to gather data and information that would be needed to evaluate any lawsuit or tort claim that may be filed.
XX“We can't share that kind of information because it would prohibit the state's ability to defend the state from a lawsuit.”
XXThe office assumed correctly that lawsuits will likely be filed. The families of Sandra Allmond and Elijah Allmond, Sandra's grandson, have retained attorney Brian Davis of the Davis Law Group, based in Asheville, while the families of Taylor Strange and her cousin Steven have retained Laurie Stegall of the Greensboro firm Oxner, Thomas and Permar, PLLC.
XX“We certainly expect that information (in the Attorney General's Office report) to be made available to us,” said attorney Davis Monday, July 26. “Right now we're waiting on the highway patrol's report before we decide on how to proceed. It's still very early in the process.”
XXMeanwhile, in the wake of the forced resignation of highway patrol commander Col. Randy Glover, Gov. Bev Perdue has appointed a panel of distinguished North Carolinians to prepare a report on restructuring the patrol and naming a new commander.
XXThe advisory panel consists of:
XX- former chief justice of the N.C. Supreme Court, Burley Mitchell
XX- director of the UNC Center for Civil Rights, Julius Chambers
XX- board member of the Council for State Governments Justice Center, Peter Gilchrist
XX- former N.C. Court of Appeals judge, Ralph Walker
XX- UNC School of Government faculty member, Norma Houston
XX and former assistant director of the criminal division of the FBI, Chris Swecker.
XXTheir report is due on the desk of N.C. Secretary of Transportation Reuben Young by Sept. 1.