PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Colbert implies Rand Paul is a racist

Knightskye
07-26-2010, 09:38 PM
It was at the end of a sentence, and four or five people laughed. Apparently, most didn't get the reference.

He was talking about Shirley Sherrod resigning, and said, "People who support racial discrimination have no place in government... until Rand Paul is elected.

But Rand Paul supported 90% of the Civil Rights Act, the parts which banned racial discrimination in public institutions -- like the government agencies he would like to abolish.

Meh.

Video:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/341469/july-26-2010/racial-pro-firing

Anti Federalist
07-26-2010, 09:45 PM
MSM is not, and will not ever be, our "friend".

BamaFanNKy
07-26-2010, 10:09 PM
It was at the end of a sentence, and nobody laughed. Apparently, no one in the studio audience got the reference.

He was talking about Shirley Sherrod resigning, and said something like "racists have no place in government until Rand Paul takes office."

But Rand Paul supported 90% of the Civil Rights Act, the parts which banned racial discrimination in public institutions -- like the government agencies he would like to abolish.

Meh.

If I see Colbert:
YouTube - Jay-Z - Threat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxQIKmtX5k8)

micahnelson
07-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Steven colbert is a comedian. The media is there, for the most part, to sell advertising to people. They hold your attention by reflecting back at the viewers what they already believe to be true.

If nobody laughed, then it didn't resonate well. Don't chalk up to media conspiracy what can more easily be ascribed to a lack of fertile comedic soil.

Vessol
07-26-2010, 10:30 PM
Steven colbert is a comedian.

^^

BenIsForRon
07-26-2010, 10:32 PM
That's unfortunate Colbert said that, I still love him though. He'll come around on Rand when he sees what Rand does in the senate.

eOs
07-26-2010, 10:40 PM
If I see Colbert:

YouTube - wu-tang clan - method man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mi88gydfYI)

BamaFanNKy
07-26-2010, 10:41 PM
Dolla dolla bill y'all!

Spider-Man
07-26-2010, 10:47 PM
Meh, it's a joke, guys. Lighten up.

low preference guy
07-26-2010, 10:50 PM
That's unfortunate Colbert said that, I still love him though. He'll come around on Rand when he sees what Rand does in the senate.

Doubt it. On the other hand, although Jon Stewart mental capacities are quite limited, he hasn't taken cheap shots at Rand. I consider him more likely to respect Rand when he proves to be a good Senator.

Matt Collins
07-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Meh, it's a joke, guys. Lighten up.I like jokes. I like humor. I even don't mind people poking fun at me or people who are like minded. I do however have a problem with people perpetuating a lie; a thinly veiled bit of propaganda with an agenda posing as a comedy routine. That is the difference here.

low preference guy
07-26-2010, 11:11 PM
I like jokes. I like humor. I even don't mind people poking fun at me or people who are like minded. I do however have a problem with people perpetuating a lie; a thinly veiled bit of propaganda with an agenda posing as a comedy routine. That is the difference here.

Agree with the Collins. Wow! What he said is exactly right, especially when Colbert is acting like it is a well-known fact that Rand Paul is a racist, when it is a blatant political smear.

Depressed Liberator
07-26-2010, 11:16 PM
I don't care. The polka segment after was a fucking classic.

low preference guy
07-26-2010, 11:20 PM
I don't care.

i'm not not surprised.

Depressed Liberator
07-26-2010, 11:26 PM
i'm not not surprised.

I don't like Rand much as it is. If he gets in there and acts like how his father does, then I will be happy, and I am sure Colbert will see him differently.

Matt Collins
07-26-2010, 11:28 PM
What he said is exactly rightIt always is :cool:

low preference guy
07-26-2010, 11:29 PM
It always is :cool:

now he is back to his lying mode.

BenIsForRon
07-27-2010, 12:39 AM
I like jokes. I like humor. I even don't mind people poking fun at me or people who are like minded. I do however have a problem with people perpetuating a lie; a thinly veiled bit of propaganda with an agenda posing as a comedy routine. That is the difference here.

So you think Colbert gives a fuck about the Kentucky election? Give me a break.

Colbert was just making a joke based on what he knows about Rand, which happens to be very little, and incorrect information at that.

cindy25
07-27-2010, 12:46 AM
anyone against affirmative actions, racial quotas and food stamps is a racist in the eyes of MSM and NAACP

and they do care about KY and NV senate races, it could start a tidal wave.

BenIsForRon
07-27-2010, 12:56 AM
anyone against affirmative actions, racial quotas and food stamps is a racist in the eyes of MSM and NAACP

and they do care about KY and NV senate races, it could start a tidal wave.

Stephen Colbert isn't part of the MSM, he is a comedic actor. All he does is make fun of the MSM.

People on this site just call him MSM when they don't like something he says.

low preference guy
07-27-2010, 12:59 AM
Stephen Colbert isn't part of the MSM, he is a comedic actor. All he does is make fun of the MSM.

he is good at solidifying wrong perceptions fueled by the liberal MSM. this is the second time he gives an idiotic/ignorant/false impression about Rand.

Golding
07-27-2010, 01:05 AM
Meh, it's a joke, guys. Lighten up.Falsely painting people as racist is not a joke. It's why no one laughed. It wasn't funny.

Noob
07-27-2010, 01:07 AM
people really watch Comedy Central for other shows besies South Park?

Matt Collins
07-27-2010, 01:10 AM

Colbert was just making a joke based on what he knows about Rand, which happens to be very little, and incorrect information at that.I think Colbert cares about entertaining people in a way that furthers his (progressive) world view.

KAYA
07-27-2010, 07:17 AM
people really watch Comedy Central for other shows besies South Park?

Jon Steward is the most effective media voice for the left.

Spider-Man
07-27-2010, 07:24 AM

Suit yourself, bro.

Sentient Void
07-27-2010, 09:04 AM
Colbert is a comedian (and usually a funny one IMO). And he is not conservative - and he certainly isn't a libertarian. His show is essentially a mocking of conservatives.

I actually find Jon Stewart more humorous, though.

00_Pete
07-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Its Viacom - Communist Central what do you expect?

My old self, before i was sent to a Siberian prison camp by the RPF politburo, stated that "they" only "like" the likes of Ron Paul when he is the "cute" candidate...i stated that if Ron Paul ever becomes a threat your media "heroes" (South Park, Penn Teller, etc) or your "he is cool too bad he is a liberal" (Maher, Jon Stewart, Colbert, etc) would give you a rude awakening. With Rand Paul you got to see just a tiny bit of what i was saying...

Bankers, high-finances and media...this is the fantastic trio, and in todays World, media is just as important as banks and high-finances if not more. And "they" have complete and total control over news media and intertainment industry...total control.

My old self also mentioned several times about "strange" things with show business and particularly the likes of Jon Stewart, Colbert, Letterman, etc...i provided several videos that clearly show how corrupted and evil show business really is...

YouTube - Natassia Kinski & John Candy -Late Night Dave -Dec29 1982 - (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEEue80pNvM)

Anyone that cant see that there is something really really really strange going on in the video above is someone that has its perception of Reality distorted by the "Intertainment Age"

YouTube - Dave Chappelle-What's Wrong With Hollywood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHpsiSSNapQ)

Andrew-Austin
07-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Its Viacom - Communist Central what do you expect?

My old self, before i was sent to a Siberian prison camp by the RPF politburo, stated that "they" only "like" the likes of Ron Paul when he is the "cute" candidate...i stated that if Ron Paul ever becomes a threat your media "heroes" (South Park, Penn Teller, etc) or your "he is cool too bad he is a liberal" (Maher, Jon Stewart, Colbert, etc) would give you a rude awakening. With Rand Paul you got to see just a tiny bit of what i was saying...

Bankers, high-finances and media...this is the fantastic trio, and in todays World, media is just as important as banks and high-finances if not more. And "they" have complete and total control over news media and intertainment industry...total control.

My old self also mentioned several times about "strange" things with show business and particularly the likes of Jon Stewart, Colbert, Letterman, etc...i provided several videos that clearly show how corrupted and evil show business really is...

^^
=

http://www.spurgeon.org/images/Suge/uglymut.jpg

Brian4Liberty
07-27-2010, 10:31 AM

Yes. You think he is apolitical, a guy that does a political comedy show?

Seraphim
07-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Colbert is a comedian (and usually a funny one IMO). And he is not conservative - and he certainly isn't a libertarian. His show is essentially a mocking of conservatives.

I'm not sure. I think he may be conservative but mocks REPUBLICANISM.

Light
07-27-2010, 10:42 AM
I wonder what it is going to take for the Stewart/Colbert apologists to realize that they are both shill propagandists for leftism?

Also, Colbert is definitely not a conservative. Colbert describes himself in real life as being a "progressive democrat".

BenIsForRon
07-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Yes. You think he is apolitical, a guy that does a political comedy show?

I don't think he is following the race closely, and he's not trying to sway the state for Conway or raise funds for him. So he's pretty apolitical about Kentucky.

Rancher
07-27-2010, 10:52 AM
If you think it was a joke, I think you are brainwashed.

angelatc
07-27-2010, 10:56 AM

Craig Kilborn has a show again. He still rules.

puppetmaster
07-27-2010, 10:56 AM
its propaganda for the masses. tell them a lie over and over again and eventually it becomes the truth.....one time by colbert one tme by so and so.....then the lie slowly evolves....yea he and his writers are scum

MelissaWV
07-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Oh no. Someone said something. Someone might even, just before they said it, have thought something. Even more disturbing, that someone probably didn't think it originally, but had a writer think of the something that was thought of before it was said.

At what point did the board start booing and hissing at someone for thought and speech? Ah, that's right; when people we don't agree with are doing the thinking and speaking.

It's a comedian on television who made a bad joke. If he sucks so much, I wonder why you don't change the channel, or just avoid clicking links to images/video of him.

constituent
07-27-2010, 11:02 AM
I just wanted to say that Medina shot herself.

Thanks.

Matt Collins
07-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Craig Kilborn has a show again. He still rules.I liked him much better than Stewart.

Matt Collins
07-27-2010, 11:21 AM
its propaganda for the masses. tell them a lie over and over again and eventually it becomes the truth.....one time by colbert one tme by so and so.....then the lie slowly evolves....yea he and his writers are scumExactly my point!

I just wanted to say that Medina shot herself.A more accurate statement is that Glenn Beck set the trap and she sprung it.

haaaylee
07-27-2010, 12:07 PM
the link is up:

http://www.comedycentral.com/

low preference guy
07-27-2010, 01:48 PM
I don't think he is following the race closely, and he's not trying to sway the state for Conway or raise funds for him. So he's pretty apolitical about Kentucky.

Yep. He just wants to paint Rand Paul as a racist. Not that he wants to help Conway, of course.

Knightskye
07-27-2010, 01:59 PM
At what point did the board start booing and hissing at someone for thought and speech? Ah, that's right; when people we don't agree with are doing the thinking and speaking.

Criticism of speech is not a restriction on speech.

Criticizing someone for making a false statement to an audience of about a million or so people -- is that a good idea or a bad idea?

low preference guy
07-27-2010, 02:07 PM
At what point did the board start booing and hissing at someone for thought and speech?

At what point did falsely painting people as racist become something you don't want us to criticize?

:absolutely confused:

MelissaWV
07-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Criticism of speech is not a restriction on speech.

Criticizing someone for making a false statement to an audience of about a million or so people -- is that a good idea or a bad idea?

At what point did falsely painting people as racist become something you don't want us to criticize?

:absolutely confused:

Make it an audience of 999,999. I don't watch the guy in general, though some family members do. It's a "comedy" show. He has said plenty of bad things about most people. I haven't heard a peep when he mischaracterizes something Obama said, or someone the boards don't like. It pops up elsewhere, instead, and it's silly. Television shows are the very easiest thing to show your dislike for. Don't watch them. The entirety of the show is based on taking things that are generally in the news, or were recently, and going to the extreme with them.

Frankly, to me it sounds like he could just as easily be poking fun at the people who've made the "Rand is a racist" thing such a big deal to begin with. The joke flopped; people were unamused and unconvinced.

What I do or don't want criticized is entirely irrelevant. I just feel that there are such bigger fish to fry, and you have a vote with your remote or mouse/keyboard. Rand got a mention on the Colbert Report via a very obscure joke. Maybe a dozen people Googled Rand and figured out what all the to-do was about, and maybe one now knows who Rand is and thinks of him favorably? Do you really think there were a lot of people who love Rand, but watched Colbert and changed their minds based on that joke?

It's a waste of time, but it's your time to waste.

low preference guy
07-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Make it an audience of 999,999. I don't watch the guy in general, though some family members do. It's a "comedy" show. He has said plenty of bad things about most people. I haven't heard a peep when he mischaracterizes something Obama said, or someone the boards don't like. It pops up elsewhere, instead, and it's silly. Television shows are the very easiest thing to show your dislike for. Don't watch them. The entirety of the show is based on taking things that are generally in the news, or were recently, and going to the extreme with them.

Frankly, to me it sounds like he could just as easily be poking fun at the people who've made the "Rand is a racist" thing such a big deal to begin with. The joke flopped; people were unamused and unconvinced.

What I do or don't want criticized is entirely irrelevant. I just feel that there are such bigger fish to fry, and you have a vote with your remote or mouse/keyboard. Rand got a mention on the Colbert Report via a very obscure joke. Maybe a dozen people Googled Rand and figured out what all the to-do was about, and maybe one now knows who Rand is and thinks of him favorably? Do you really think there were a lot of people who love Rand, but watched Colbert and changed their minds based on that joke?

It's a waste of time, but it's your time to waste.

That's quite different from

At what point did the board start booing and hissing at someone for thought and speech

Saying people are wasting their time is quite different from saying people are "booing and hissing at someone for thought and speech". The latter is outright false.

No one is criticizing Colbert for "thought and speech". People are criticizing him for falsely painting Rand as racist. At least that's my impression, being someone who watched Colbert a lot. And even if we're wrong at this impression, it doesn't mean people are criticizing for "thought and speech".

"thought and speech" =/= "thought and speech that falsely paints a person as a racist"

Knightskye
07-31-2010, 01:00 AM
That's quite different from

Saying people are wasting their time is quite different from saying people are "booing and hissing at someone for thought and speech". The latter is outright false.

This.

MelissaWV
07-31-2010, 10:30 AM

No one is criticizing Colbert for "thought and speech". People are criticizing him for falsely painting Rand as racist. At least that's my impression, being someone who watched Colbert a lot. And even if we're wrong at this impression, it doesn't mean people are criticizing for "thought and speech".

"thought and speech" =/= "thought and speech that falsely paints a person as a racist"

Colbert didn't actually say Rand is a racist. He said that a racist wouldn't be tolerated in an administration until Rand was President.

"People who support racial discrimination have no place in government... until Rand Paul is elected."

Does that say Rand's a racist, or does it say that Rand would put policy decisions over someone's personal views (or perceived personal views) on race?

Before you say "well, it's OBVIOUS what he meant" consider what that would imply: you are criticizing what you think he meant when he said the above.

Personally, the statement itself looks pretty true on its face to me. Someone can support racial discrimination, or be a misogynist, or hate whatever-group-is-fashionable-to-hate-right-now... and make sound policy decisions. That hasn't been the view in recent administrations. Just the whisper from the right places that you're a racist can get you drummed out of DC (though if you were in the KKK, that is considered a youthful indiscretion).

low preference guy
07-31-2010, 12:13 PM
There are interesting discussions on your last post, but I don't think they argue for the claim that forum members are "booing and hissing at someone for thought and speech", which is the point I wanted to dispute. Even if they're wrong in their assessment on what Colbert meant, that means they have a misunderstanding, not that the forum now decided to boo and hiss for "thought and speech". People are criticizing thought and speech that they believe falsely paint Rand as a racist.

MelissaWV
07-31-2010, 12:17 PM
There are interesting discussions on your last post, but I don't think they argue for the claim that forum members are "booing and hissing at someone for thought and speech", which is the point I wanted to dispute. Even if they're wrong in their assessment on what Colbert meant, that means they have a misunderstanding, not that the forum now decided to boo and hiss for "thought and speech". People are criticizing thought and speech that they believe falsely paint Rand as a racist.

So people aren't criticizing him for what he thought and said, but they're criticizing what he thought and said about Rand because of what they think it means. Obviously that's not the same thing.

Obviously.