PDA

View Full Version : Glen Beck did OK today.

osan
07-26-2010, 08:04 PM
I've mentioned more than once that I do not trust Glen Beck very far. I have also mentioned that he does posit many opinions and positions with which I am in agreement. Today he did well - he delineated the difference between "divine providence" and "manifest destiny", basically calling the latter a gross perversion of the former. He mentioned that divine providence is the recognition that somehow, a ragtag bunch of liberty minded yahoos managed to kick England's ass out of the New World and that they could not have done it on their own - they had help. Manifest destiny, he said, was a juggernaut steamrolling its way through the countryside yelling "get out of my way, I'm on a mission from God" and flattening anyone not moving fast enough to satisfy them.

I thought he did well on this. Credit where due.

AmericaFyeah92
07-26-2010, 09:15 PM
I have a feeling that has to do with his Mormonism (the Mormons mostly fled West, so I imagine they didn't appreciate being moved in on by the WASP establishment at the time)

nate895
07-26-2010, 09:21 PM
I have a feeling that has to do with his Mormonism (the Mormons mostly fled West, so I imagine they didn't appreciate being moved in on by the WASP establishment at the time)

They fought a war over it and massacred settlers that passed through Utah. They also sided with Mexico in the Mexican-American War. You will never get a Mormon to admit to these widely documented events, but we are talking about a group of people who believe that God was a man on another planet until the God of that planet exalted him to Him, and that God was in turn a man on another planet until exalted from him to Him, ad infinitum.

BamaFanNKy
07-26-2010, 10:10 PM
One of the blackest white men in America.

specsaregood
07-26-2010, 10:15 PM
They fought a war over it and massacred settlers that passed through Utah. They also sided with Mexico in the Mexican-American War. You will never get a Mormon to admit to these widely documented events, but we are talking about a group of people who believe that God was a man on another planet until the God of that planet exalted him to Him, and that God was in turn a man on another planet until exalted from him to Him, ad infinitum.
Sounds about as reasonable as any other major religions beliefs. Just saying... At least the mormons believe in family and prepping themselves for hard times.

Vessol
07-26-2010, 10:21 PM

no offense, but when it comes down to it if you explain a religion to anyone who isn't very familiar to it, it's going to sound weird as hell.

I mean, say you are a Catholic. Try explaining to someone whom has never heard of Catholicism or knows very little, why you commune.

"This wine represents the blood of the son of the diety we worship, and this bread represents his flesh."

"And you eat his flesh and drink his blood?"

"Yes. Yes we do."

When taken out of context, that sounds pretty farking weird too.

Kludge
07-26-2010, 10:23 PM
no offense, but when it comes down to it if you explain a religion to anyone who isn't very familiar to it, it's going to sound weird as hell.

I mean, say you are a Catholic. Try explaining to someone whom has never heard of Catholicism or knows very little, why you commune.

"This wine represents the blood of the son of the diety we worship, and this bread represents his flesh."

When taken out of context, that sounds pretty farking weird too.

Thatīs excluding the transubstantiation bit.

specsaregood
07-26-2010, 10:30 PM
//

libertybrewcity
07-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Glenn Beck is a nut. To think that God wanted Americans to have the land called America today is just as bad as Israelis thinking they are entitled to the land called Israel today.

Spider-Man
07-26-2010, 10:52 PM
I don't really see the difference.