PDA

View Full Version : Jeb Bush at Rand Paul Fundraiser describes himself as a..........

BamaFanNKy
07-26-2010, 05:38 PM
LIBERTARIAN!?!?!

His words, not mine. He did this in a room full of Establishment Republicans.

He talked about Liberty and getting back to the foundations of the Constitution. My people in the Room said he was a great speaker and really promoted Rand as the Principled individual we need in the Senate.

tjeffersonsghost
07-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Yup, this is what the neo cons are trying to do....

Carole
07-26-2010, 05:42 PM
And he did this with a straight face, of course. :D

unklejman
07-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Dubya said he wasn't into nation building before he won the presidency....

BamaFanNKy
07-26-2010, 05:45 PM
Hey, he's promoting a Liberty Candidate and raised $100k for him in a couple hours. Not bad.

Anti Federalist
07-26-2010, 05:47 PM
tube, mp3, wav or it didn't happen.

johnrocks
07-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Libertarianism...the new "pet rock" of the GOP

Anti Federalist
07-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Libertarianism...the new "pet rock" of the GOP

That right there is funny.

:D:D:D

Agorism
Should not have allowed him to come.

nate895
I don't trust him as far as I can throw him.

South Park Fan
07-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Glad to know that we lived under the brother of a libertarian administration for the last eight years. :rolleyes:

djdellisanti4
07-26-2010, 05:53 PM

I was just about to bring this up. Dubya might have been sincere about it at one point, but in his eyes "9/11 changed everything." I highly doubt Jeb is though.

BamaFanNKy
07-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Should not have allowed him to come.

You are right. We should not try to have GOP leaders supporting GOP candidates or taking $100,000. :eek:

johnrocks
07-26-2010, 06:03 PM
That right there is funny.

:D:D:D

lol, I try:p Notice how those bastards yap about things like freedom or liberty and love to quote Founders all of a sudden, I don't trust em as far as I could throw a cement truck.

Depressed Liberator
07-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Hey, he's promoting a Liberty Candidate and raised $100k for him in a couple hours. Not bad.

Stop defending assholes like this. You do this all the time.

low preference guy
07-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Reminds me of his brother George Bush. Why would that be?

YouTube - The George Bush You Forgot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9SOVzMV2bc)

BamaFanNKy
07-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Stop defending assholes like this. You do this all the time.

I defend getting their money and using it for good. Ron has taken money from Kay Bailey and the Bush's before and people on here act like they wouldn't take their money. It's insane and FOS thinking they wouldn't do the same, if they were trying to win.

james1906
07-26-2010, 06:09 PM
So Jeb is now Ed Fucking Thompson. That's news to me!

haaaylee
07-26-2010, 06:13 PM
is there footage of this or what?

RforRevolution
07-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Jeb is to Libertarianism what George is to Conservatism.

Philmanoman
07-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Has to be some kind of cruel joke :D

lx43
07-26-2010, 06:29 PM
I want to see youtube.

He is not a libertarian because his policies in Florida proved that.

ravedown
07-26-2010, 06:29 PM
had i paid to be in that room...and had a couple cocktails, i am almost certain i would have involuntarily yelled "bullshit!" at the top of my lungs.

sailingaway
07-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Glen Beck calls himself libertarian as well.

It is a fashion.

However, you had to KNOW they were trying to get Rand's cache in some way. Those who would be fooled don't know a statist when they see one, however.

Funny how JEB BUSH calls himself a libertarian, while Rand points out that he himself is a libertarian LEANING conservative..... next you know they'll be telling us that that means Jeb is more libertarian than Rand....

lynnf
07-26-2010, 06:39 PM
nevermind, see later post

lynn

MRoCkEd
07-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Libertarianism is catching on, I'm telling ya'.

We know Jeb is full of shit, but it's a good sign he is latching on to the label.

johnrocks
07-26-2010, 06:43 PM
The day when he gets on a podium as renounces his Brother George " Hey Ben, turn the printing presses to warp speed" Bush's Presidency will be the day I think "ya know; that bastard may have finally woke up".

lynnf
07-26-2010, 06:44 PM

he also said he was a uniter, not a divider. Ha, pants on fire!

another goodie:
in 1999 (one year before election) W had an author following him around in the campaign for inside access. he told the author that "if elected, I'm going to invade Iraq". of course, he wasn't saying this in the campaign! do you suppose Jeb might be doing the same kind of thing?

http://rawstory.com/08/news/2009/06/03/journalist-bush-iraq-1999/

now, you members from Florida-- what did Jeb do as governor that shows he's a libertarian?

lynn

BamaFanNKy
07-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Some of you are funny. I told my guy I'd post this (because it is what he said) and that this board would look like a group of caged gorillas throwing shit at the wall.

Brian4Liberty
07-26-2010, 06:50 PM
The PNAC Statement of Principles. Jeb Bush is one of the signers. How much more neo-conservative can he get?:

http://www.newamericancentury.org/statementofprinciples.htm

Old Ducker
07-26-2010, 06:56 PM
“The truth is useless. You have to understand this right now. You can't deposit the truth in a bank. You can't buy groceries with the truth. You can't pay rent with the truth. The truth is a useless commodity that will hang around your neck like an albatross all the way to the homeless shelter. And if you think that the million or so people in this country that are really interested in the truth about their government can support people who would tell them the truth, you got another thing coming. Because the million or so people in this country that are truly interested in the truth don't have any money.”

Jeb Bush

constituent
07-26-2010, 07:10 PM
a "coke and whores" (l)ibertarian maybe.

Mach
07-26-2010, 07:14 PM
The PNAC Statement of Principles. Jeb Bush is one of the signers. How much more neo-conservative can he get?:

Chaaa-ching! Now that's a winner!

Everyone around here knows where the Tea Party started.

Brian4Liberty
07-26-2010, 07:23 PM

Chaaa-ching! Now that's a winner!

Doesn't hurt to bring the PNAC connection up. Can't assume people know or remember that, even around here.

Kotin
07-26-2010, 07:57 PM
a "coke and whores" (l)ibertarian maybe.

Indeed..

lynnf
07-26-2010, 08:03 PM
“The truth is useless. You have to understand this right now. You can't deposit the truth in a bank. You can't buy groceries with the truth. You can't pay rent with the truth. The truth is a useless commodity that will hang around your neck like an albatross all the way to the homeless shelter. And if you think that the million or so people in this country that are really interested in the truth about their government can support people who would tell them the truth, you got another thing coming. Because the million or so people in this country that are truly interested in the truth don't have any money.”

Jeb Bush

sounds like Jeb thinks that the only ones that deserve justice are the ones with money. he's no Ron Paul, that's for sure.

lynn

dr. hfn
07-26-2010, 08:03 PM

bunklocoempire
07-26-2010, 08:32 PM

Jeb Bush

Source?

Was this before or after:

Thu Aug 30, 2007 "Lehman hires Jeb Bush as private equity advisor" http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN3046902620070830

Not that it makes a heck of alot of difference, just making conversation.:D

Bunkloco

Ricky201
07-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Whoever said Ron Paul wasn't influencing the Republican Party needs their head examined. I have never seen so many Republicans talk about libertarianism and/or the constitution. Not that I believe they are actually constitutionalist or libertarians, but they hardly ever said those words before hand.

libertybrewcity
07-26-2010, 09:00 PM
At least Rand is not the one holding a fundraiser for Jeb. Rand doesn't owe anything to him. Jeb simply got him some money and that's that. I don't see how this is a bad. Better getting money from a loser than getting no money at all, right?

Fredom101
07-26-2010, 09:09 PM
A lot of people thought reagan was a small government libertarian, and he proceeded to triple the size of government. Jeb will say whatever it takes to gain power and follow in the bush dynasty.

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-26-2010, 09:20 PM
Well pretty sure the Good ol' Boys, won't be co-opting Voluntaryist anytime soon :p

low preference guy
07-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Well pretty sure the Good ol' Boys, won't be co-opting Voluntaryist anytime soon :p

I'm pretty the neocons won't even find out they exist.

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-26-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm pretty the neocons won't even find out they exist.

You are one of the most antagonistic persons on this forum. Go back to the rock you came out of under.

Imaginos
07-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Sure, Jeb Bush is a libertarian.
And I am the emperor of Japan.
:rolleyes:

cindy25
07-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Jeb is running in 2012

but who is the real Jeb? Libertarian or neo-con

I just wonder if he will call for end to the war

TC95
07-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Everybody's a libertarian now. Cool. :rolleyes:

TC95
07-26-2010, 09:30 PM
I just wonder if he will call for end to the war

When pigs fly.

sailingaway
07-26-2010, 09:33 PM
At least Rand is not the one holding a fundraiser for Jeb. Rand doesn't owe anything to him. Jeb simply got him some money and that's that. I don't see how this is a bad. Better getting money from a loser than getting no money at all, right?

There's a mega GOP fundraiser named Cathy Bailey or something who is longtime part of the KY GOP power structure. She endorsed Rand RIGHT before the primary when it was pretty obvious he'd win, but brought 'establishment credentials' to the table. It is her party tonight, and I'm sure she invited the biggest draws in the GOP she could think of. Rand is the guest of honor, not the host, but neither is Jeb the host, and Rand had this on his schedule long before Jeb decided to come. However, GW endorsed Ron in the general after supporting his opponent in the primary, as well. When it comes to the general election, the GOP has reasons for wanting as many GOP as they can get, up to and including to get a majority in the Senate and control of the legislative calendar. Whether they personally would have selected every candidate up for election, is besides the point.

anaconda
07-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Jeb Bush would be a useless centrist Wall Street/Military Industrial Complex yes man just like W or Obama. But we'll take his money as long as their are no strings attached!

Kregisen
07-26-2010, 09:47 PM
We still haven't gotten a source for this......I'm not believing it.

Though really it doesn't surprise me at all if it were true....there WILL be many presidential candidates who claim to be libertarian or against the wars or something along those lines....it's gonna happen and it's gonna partially steal Ron's thunder.

Anti Federalist
07-26-2010, 09:54 PM
lol, I try:p Notice how those bastards yap about things like freedom or liberty and love to quote Founders all of a sudden, I don't trust em as far as I could throw a cement truck.

The transformation is amazing, isn't it? :D

How's the waters over at Hannity's forums these days?

Has there been any evidence of an "awakening"?

rich34
07-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Some of you are funny. I told my guy I'd post this (because it is what he said) and that this board would look like a group of caged gorillas throwing shit at the wall.

Man, most of the people on this board know damn well where the Bush's stand on just about every issue period! They don't buy their bullshit and can't stomach neoconservatism. Just as George Bush campaigned on a non interventionist foreign policy calling out Clinton for nation building, yet when he got in there he made Clinton's nation building look like childs play. Most of the Ron Paul folks are not as easily duped as the "mainstream" GOP or mainstream America. These people are corportist to the bone and Paul's supporters are fed of with the same ole shit and that is what Jeb Bush is like it or not.

However, with that said, I do agree with you that Rand should damn well take whatever money these pseudo-cons can raise for him and put it to good use. Just as Ron explained how he took money from the founder of stormfront and used it for good purposes. As long as Rand don't bend to their big government ways all is fine.

BamaFanNKy
07-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Man, most of the people on this board know damn well where the Bush's stand on just about every issue period! They don't buy their bullshit and can't stomach neoconservatism. Just as George Bush campaigned on a non interventionist foreign policy calling out Clinton for nation building, yet when he got in there he made Clinton's nation building look like childs play. Most of the Ron Paul folks are not as easily duped as the "mainstream" GOP or mainstream America. These people are corportist to the bone and Paul's supporters are fed of with the same ole shit and that is what Jeb Bush is like it or not.

However, with that said, I do agree with you that Rand should damn well take whatever money these pseudo-cons can raise for him and put it to good use. Just as Ron explained how he took money from the founder of stormfront and used it for good purposes. As long as Rand don't bend to their big government ways all is fine.

EXACTLY!

YouTube - Deion Sanders-Must be the Money (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJWSm13LBh8)

BamaFanNKy
07-26-2010, 10:07 PM

Rand won and now the GOP are singing to Rand "Dirty" Paul:
YouTube - ODB - Baby, I got your money [*original uncencored video*] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKw5mBh4rYs)

Old Ducker
07-26-2010, 10:09 PM
And I am the emperor of Japan.

As I suspected.

UtahApocalypse
07-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Rand should have said "I rather LOSE this election, then to be co-opted by bullshit" It's about the PRINCIPLES, it's always been the PRINCIPLES. You have them or you don't. Rand just trashed his and lost my support.

BamaFanNKy
07-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Rand should have said "I rather LOSE this election, then to be co-opted by bullshit" It's about the PRINCIPLES, it's always been the PRINCIPLES. You have them or you don't. Rand just trashed his and lost my support.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TABk_EO5eZU/SW6mCwNNLnI/AAAAAAAAAfI/j31rF4IBIn8/s400/Monkey_Poo_for_you_pt1_by_Jays_Dood+(1).jpg

Yawn. If you support Ron after Kay Bailey and Stormfront donate then you have zero principles. Again, this board often becomes gorilla's throwing shit at each other. CALM DOWN!

low preference guy
07-26-2010, 10:42 PM

Translation: I, UtahApocalypse, LOVE them losers.

BamaFanNKy
07-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Sorry if I offended:
YouTube - Method Man - Bring The Pain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8inztO0Xx8&feature=related)

low preference guy
07-26-2010, 10:45 PM
You are one of the most antagonistic persons on this forum. Go back to the rock you came out of under.

For pointing out the obvious?

Imaginos
07-26-2010, 10:47 PM
As I suspected.
Ok, you got me.
:D

specsaregood
07-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Translation: I, UtahApocalypse, LOVE them losers.

Too bad you or bamafan weren't around for this bit of dramatica:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=59518

BamaFanNKy
07-26-2010, 10:57 PM

Sounds like I should buy him this CD:
YouTube - Mary J. Blige - No More Drama (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em328ua_Lo8&feature=avmsc2)

libertybrewcity
07-26-2010, 10:59 PM

how is raising money being "co-opted" or losing principles. He didn't sign his votes to the establishment. He didn't sign over his soul to Jeb Bush. He simply took advantage of an excellent situation to raise money. Who knows, may this money draw could give Rand the win in November? Maybe the media buy he likely buys with this money will put him over the top and convince those late few thousand voters to vote for rand. Rand is Rand.

low preference guy
07-26-2010, 10:59 PM

You made no post in that thread. Anyway, it has many hilarious posts. But this one was the winner, hands down:

UtahApocalypse was doing the forum dramatica on leaving the forums. The "professionals" read it as a cry for help, ie suicide note. The brain virus caused them to immediately look to the local government for help, ie cops. Herd mentality took over.

lol!

Brian4Liberty
07-26-2010, 11:04 PM
he said "I'm a libertarian...and a neocon. But I'm not a paleocon."

Source? YouTube?

Matt Collins
07-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Everybody's a libertarian now. Cool. :rolleyes:

Whoever said Ron Paul wasn't influencing the Republican Party needs their head examined. I have never seen so many Republicans talk about libertarianism and/or the constitution. Not that I believe they are actually constitutionalist or libertarians, but they hardly ever said those words before hand.

THREAD WINNER!!!

The very fact that the "l-word" is being mentioned in mainstream circles means we are doing something right. The fact that they are trying to co-opt it means that we have something that is valuable and attractive. Because libertarianism is en vogue right now that means we have a tremendous opportunity to explain and educate others what libertarianism actually means. One way to do that is to point out instances when people claim they are libertarian but still advocate principals to the contrary; it helps differentiate faux-libertarians from those who genuinely want less government.

Matt Collins
07-26-2010, 11:18 PM
At least Rand is not the one holding a fundraiser for Jeb. Rand doesn't owe anything to him. Jeb simply got him some money and that's that. I don't see how this is a bad. Better getting money from a loser than getting no money at all, right?Exactly.

Ron and Rand wouldn't be able to hold a fund raiser for these guys in reverse anyways. Could you imagine Ron holding a fund raiser for Romney?!?! HA! Not only do I doubt he would do it, but if he did, none of Ron's people (that's us) would turn out for it.

So not only does the liberty movement owe these guys nothing, the leaders of the liberty movement would be completely impotent in assisting the establishment because the base will not be led in any direction other than towards liberty.

Distinguished Gentleman
07-26-2010, 11:18 PM
http://dennisloo.blogspot.com/2007/01/truth-is-useless-commodity-that-will.html

Source for the supposed quote. I don't think his statement clashes with reality, but it's not a reality a decent man should strive to champion.

Edit: As Matt was indicating, We have a historic amount of leverage in the republican party, with neocons feeling like they need us more than we need them. Rand plans to actually win and doesn't flinch about taking advantage of that leverage.

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-26-2010, 11:55 PM
For pointing out the obvious?

Seems to me Free Talk Live has a bigger audience, than...the Southern Avenger. The only obvious thing here, is you are full of shit.

Bman
07-26-2010, 11:57 PM
I think it's quite simple. Some of the people in the Republican party are assholes who have a lot to answer for in our eyes. Turn the page...

Now that on some level they are actually talking to some of our guys and showing up places with them isn't a reason to flip. Of course we see wrong intent in their eyes, but it's our job to make sure our people have principles and are not using us as a meal ticket.

And another thing...

We may get fooled from time to time. We may think that someone is one of us and turns against us. It takes a voting record to really prove anything so unfortunately we can only discover in hindsight.

Get use to it, or just admit your a miserable person who will never be happy about anything, ever.

Bman
07-27-2010, 12:01 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TABk_EO5eZU/SW6mCwNNLnI/AAAAAAAAAfI/j31rF4IBIn8/s400/Monkey_Poo_for_you_pt1_by_Jays_Dood+(1).jpg

Yawn. If you support Ron after Kay Bailey and Stormfront donate then you have zero principles. Again, this board often becomes gorilla's throwing shit at each other. CALM DOWN!

Way to drive the nail all the way through on one hit.

BAM!

Brian4Liberty
07-27-2010, 09:50 AM
tube, mp3, wav or it didn't happen.

Anyone?

puppetmaster
07-27-2010, 11:02 AM
this is like the MTV, RPF thread.....

puppetmaster
07-27-2010, 11:02 AM
or BET.....

Kludge
07-27-2010, 11:11 AM
or bet.....

w.e.t.

angelatc
07-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Me, reading out loud :"Oh look! Apparently Jeb Bush described himself as a libertarian."

DH: "Why not? Heck, his brother described himself as a conservative."

unklejman
07-27-2010, 11:24 AM

Hmm, sentiments seemed to have changed since the time when the media called out Ron Paul for accepting donations from white supremacists.

Slutter McGee
07-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Does anything make you guys happy.
The Media ignores libertarian ideas "The MSN is trying to silence liberty."
The Media actively talks about libertarian ideas "They aren't true libertarians and are trying to co-opt the movement."
Ron Paul doesn't get elected President. "We need to spread our message of Liberty"
The message of liberty spreads "They are all hypocrits for not believing in Liberty before"

They may all be sheep. But we aren't the shepherd. Nope, we are the wolf, when being a wolf is becoming more popular. And instead of leading, we eat the poor little sheep when they come to us....because they aren't real wolves.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Mach
07-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Doesn't hurt to bring the PNAC connection up. Can't assume people know or remember that, even around here.

I was serious, it was a great point. When I said everyone around here knows where the Tea Party started, it wasn't directed toward you, just a general statement.

Aratus
07-27-2010, 12:58 PM
LIBERTARIAN!?!?!

His words, not mine. He did this in a room full of Establishment Republicans.

He talked about Liberty and getting back to the foundations of the Constitution.
My people in the Room said he was a great speaker and really promoted
Rand as the Principled individual we need in the Senate.

he MIGHT be sincere... methinks ms. sarah palin may have been talkative...

heavenlyboy34
07-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Does anything make you guys happy.
The Media ignores libertarian ideas "The MSN is trying to silence liberty."
The Media actively talks about libertarian ideas "They aren't true libertarians and are trying to co-opt the movement."
Ron Paul doesn't get elected President. "We need to spread our message of Liberty"
The message of liberty spreads "They are all hypocrits for not believing in Liberty before"

They may all be sheep. But we aren't the shepherd. Nope, we are the wolf, when being a wolf is becoming more popular. And instead of leading, we eat the poor little sheep when they come to us....because they aren't real wolves.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

The MSM isn't talking about libertarian ideas, except to trash them.

Stary Hickory
07-27-2010, 01:15 PM

Fair enough this much is fine, if he is a real libertarian....we will see after much time and after he has proved himself. His record thus far leaves plenty of room for healthy skepticism. I am wary of anyone with the last name Bush. Libertarianism is on the rise so the last thing anyone needs are political opportunists taking advantage of it.

However if he can help get liberty candidates elected, then by all means go right ahead. But there is no way I want to see him anywhere near POTUS. He has years and years of proving himself to do.

I give anyone a chance, if somehow former neocons and social conservatives will come aboard that is fine, if a Democrat said they were libertarian and proved it they are welcome too. The only way to grow the liberty cause is to get former neocons/social conservatives and Democrats to change their tune. However there can be no compromise, if you say you are a libertarian then you better be consistent.

awake
07-27-2010, 01:19 PM
All trust aside , I would like to see a very large man midget toss him.

Aratus
07-27-2010, 01:21 PM
lets face it, sharron angle is totally sincere.
sarah palin is trying to encourage people to
go Tea Party. is jeb bush now part of this all?

Slutter McGee
07-27-2010, 01:24 PM
The MSM isn't talking about libertarian ideas, except to trash them.

Beck, Stossel, the Judge, Carlson, Scarborough. Larry King has opened the door for Dr. Paul many times. Usually it is focused on ecocomic freedom, but personal freedom and respect for the consitution is also on the airwaves.

There is more talk about libertarian ideas...both good and bad, than there has every been in my lifetime.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Stary Hickory
07-27-2010, 01:26 PM
lets face it, sharron angle is totally sincere.
sarah palin is trying to encourage people to
go Tea Party. is jeb bush now part of this all?

Oh I don't know it's not all bad really. Just have to be careful we don't get wackos who are nothing near a libertarian calling themselves that. Palin and Jeb Bush bringing people to ANTI GOVERNMENT rallies is a good thing. Getting people to see the government as the threat is a good thing. It goes in the right direction overall. So I do like the tea parties and the entire theme of them.

However I certainly hope it does not turn in the wrong direction. Drastic cuts to goverment...great....more freedom..great.....support for crazy wars...bad....and so on. Anyways any kind of movement against government authority right now is a good thing.

The government after all is breaking our laws and acting illegally. That should be pointed out over and over until it either straightens up or gets straightened out by the people.

low preference guy
07-27-2010, 01:57 PM
does anything make you guys happy.
The media ignores libertarian ideas "the msn is trying to silence liberty."
the media actively talks about libertarian ideas "they aren't true libertarians and are trying to co-opt the movement."
ron paul doesn't get elected president. "we need to spread our message of liberty"
the message of liberty spreads "they are all hypocrits for not believing in liberty before"

they may all be sheep. But we aren't the shepherd. Nope, we are the wolf, when being a wolf is becoming more popular. And instead of leading, we eat the poor little sheep when they come to us....because they aren't real wolves.

Sincerely,

slutter mcgee

+1000

Anti Federalist
07-27-2010, 02:18 PM
There is more talk about libertarian ideas...both good and bad, than there has every been in my lifetime.

Hard to quantify that, maybe so, maybe not.

To me this, all this "chatter" is very similar to what was going in 1994.

I recall that, and I also recall what the final outcome was.

low preference guy
07-27-2010, 02:27 PM

I think it's not exactly the same as 1994. I could give many reasons...

the anti-establishment atmosphere is a bit stronger. e.g. contract with america in 1994 was announced in Washington. that's not going to happen today.

but the most important reason is this: Rand Paul is no Newt Gingrich.

If many Tea Party candidates are elected, they will be picking the future "establishment candidates". so the NRSC will be more likely to pick a Rand Paul over a Trey Grayson, or there will be internal conflict and the NRSC won't endorse at all.

and i'm sure Rand will out anyone who just talks the talk but doesn't want to do anything by forcing votes on issues. again there is one single single reason to expect more, if Rand is elected: Rand Paul is no Newt Gingrich.

low preference guy
07-27-2010, 02:30 PM

How much anti Federal Reserve talk was there around in 1994?

Slutter McGee
07-28-2010, 08:41 AM

I believe that there are a few subtle differences between then and now. In 1994 it was a Republican Revolution. This time it seems to be a fiscal conservative revolution with Republicans as the vehicle. Now there is no question in my mind that many Republicans that might be elected will support a pro-interventionist foreign policy. But that is no change from the current democrats. But I think the tea-party movement will hold them accountable for their votes concerning spending.

Either way, it is a beginning, not an end. The tea-part movement might assist at getting the government out of our wallets, but it won't help with getting the government out of our telephones, computers, bedrooms, email, and a host of other issues.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee