PDA

View Full Version : Penn & Teller on gun control

AlterEgo
07-25-2010, 11:54 PM
YouTube - BULLSH#T! On Gun Laws Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCXtfR0_roE)

dannno
07-26-2010, 01:01 AM
YouTube - BULLSHI#! On Gun Laws Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtqufzEFCzw)

YouTube - BULLSH#T! On Gun Laws Part 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoIKlO20RqM&feature=related)

torchbearer
07-26-2010, 08:03 AM
that was fucking awesome.

ClayTrainor
07-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Yea, that was a really good episode. One of their better ones for sure.

They just aired a new episode last week tackling the topic of "Criminal Justice". It's a pretty dam good episode as well, but it's not up on youtube yet. Here's a clip.

YouTube - Penn Jillette - innocence statistic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdNwhKZINKU)

Danke
07-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Want to watch on Netflix, what season is that?

CCTelander
07-26-2010, 08:09 PM
I like Penn & Teller, I really do. Their show is fun to watch, but it's pretty clear to me that factual accuracy isn't its strong point.

This episode, for example, is loaded with innaccurate or outright false statements. Here's a small sampling from just the first 5 minutes or so:

"The guys who founded our country gave us the right to have guns..." Not true. The right to self-defense is a natural, inherent right. The 2nd Amendment merely purports to protect an already existing right.

"Nine American kids die every day as a result of gunfire." True only if you count people up to the age of 24 as "kids." And many of those are gang bangers who are involved in criminal activity.

"Firearms kill 3 people every hour in this country." Absolutely false. That's almost 3 times the actual number.

The New England Journal of Medicine "study" cited, that claims a gun in the home is 43 times more likely to kill a loved one than an intruder, is nothing more than a CDC funded propaganda piece. It's been debunked so thoroughly, by reputable criminologists and other relevant professionals, that it's almost surprising that anyone would still be citing it.

Certainly Penn & Teller come to the right conclusion regarding gun control. But this kind of sloppy research and fact checking is unpardonable. It further re-enforces some of the most often used victim disarmament rhetoric, which can be very dangerous.

QueenB4Liberty
07-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Oh, good show! :)

ClayTrainor
07-26-2010, 09:00 PM
I like Penn & Teller, I really do. Their show is fun to watch, but it's pretty clear to me that factual accuracy isn't its strong point.

This episode, for example, is loaded with innaccurate or outright false statements. Here's a small sampling from just the first 5 minutes or so:

"The guys who founded our country gave us the right to have guns..." Not true. The right to self-defense is a natural, inherent right. The 2nd Amendment merely purports to protect an already existing right.

"Nine American kids die every day as a result of gunfire." True only if you count people up to the age of 24 as "kids." And many of those are gang bangers who are involved in criminal activity.

"Firearms kill 3 people every hour in this country." Absolutely false. That's almost 3 times the actual number.

The New England Journal of Medicine "study" cited, that claims a gun in the home is 43 times more likely to kill a loved one than an intruder, is nothing more than a CDC funded propaganda piece. It's been debunked so thoroughly, by reputable criminologists and other relevant professionals, that it's almost surprising that anyone would still be citing it.

Certainly Penn & Teller come to the right conclusion regarding gun control. But this kind of sloppy research and fact checking is unpardonable. It further re-enforces some of the most often used victim disarmament rhetoric, which can be very dangerous.

Dammit CC, don't ruin the show for me!!! :p

Thanks fro that info though, I'll have to be more skeptical towards them from now on.

CCTelander
07-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Dammit CC, don't ruin the show for me!!! :p

Thanks fro that info though, I'll have to be more skeptical towards them from now on.

Hey, I LOVE Penn & Teller. I get a real kick out of their magic, and i dig their show too. But they're NOT the people I look to for factual information on much of anything. People should just be aware that their "facts" aren't always facts, but they're VERY entertaining.

Anti Federalist
07-26-2010, 09:42 PM
I can't watch the tubes, but is that Jackie Mason?

On guns?

Lolz.

Sentient Void
07-26-2010, 10:12 PM
Fucking awesome. How many times on this forum do I have to say how much ass this show, and Penn Jillette, kicks.

Oh yeah, teller is a libertarian too - he's just very quiet about everything. Teller is the hardcore anarcho-capitalist, though. Saweet.

Loved how he proudly proclaimed his anarcho-capitalist-ness on the Glenn Beck show - bwaaahahahah! GB looked/sounded like he was gonna gonna shit himself.

South Park Fan
07-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Fucking awesome. How many times on this forum do I have to say how much ass this show, and Penn Jillette, kicks.

Oh yeah, teller is a libertarian too - he's just very quiet about everything. Teller is the hardcore anarcho-capitalist, though. Saweet.

Loved how he proudly proclaimed his anarcho-capitalist-ness on the Glenn Beck show - bwaaahahahah! GB looked/sounded like he was gonna gonna shit himself.

What's the youtube URL? I'd love to see this.

Vessol
07-26-2010, 10:56 PM
God it's refreshing to see somebody say why we as individuals have firearms.

Yes, they help with protecting yourself from crime, feeding yourself, etc.

But the primary reason is to keep the government in check. Why the hell do mainstream gun advocates not talk about this? Too afraid that it would sound treasonous?

I guess because it labels them as "extremists".

Matt Collins
07-26-2010, 11:13 PM
Certainly Penn & Teller come to the right conclusion regarding gun control. But this kind of sloppy research and fact checking is unpardonable. It further re-enforces some of the most often used victim disarmament rhetoric, which can be very dangerous.Very true. And Penn is indeed a solid libertarian. But their budget is limited, and remember they are in the business of entertainment, not education.

WaltM
07-26-2010, 11:18 PM

Semantics, you're saying that we can get rid of the 2nd Amendment and we'd still have the right. Forget that there's many ways to defend yourself without a gun.

Statistics like these are confusing and useless without context. I agree.

If true, that's 72 per day, making "9 kids" irrelevant.

The New England Journal of Medicine "study" cited, that claims a gun in the home is 43 times more likely to kill a loved one than an intruder, is nothing more than a CDC funded propaganda piece.

weird.

maybe they forgot that it's not a fair comparison when a gun is MEANT to kill, vs an intruder isn't.

It's been debunked so thoroughly, by reputable criminologists and other relevant professionals, that it's almost surprising that anyone would still be citing it.

they're speaking to plain folk, so they want it dumbed down and emotionally charged.

Catatonic
07-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Their shows on gun control and PETA are my favorites

mikey
07-27-2010, 05:52 AM
You can watch the new episode here.
penn.and.teller.bullshit.807.hdtv.xvid-sys.flv - 156.7 Mb (http://www.divxden.com/wgu1rqybwbdo/penn.and.teller.bullshit.807.hdtv.xvid-sys.flv.html)

Sentient Void
07-27-2010, 08:12 AM
YouTube - Glenn Beck: Penn Jillette on Ron Paul (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y1AAOZh9wc)

He says it right at the end, but the whole bid is great. They talk about Ron Paul, etc.