PDA

View Full Version : Becoming disillusioned

coastie
07-25-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm about at my wits end, people. After an 8 1/2 year "career":rolleyes: in the USCG, and spending about 3 of it trying to "educate" people from the inside of the armed forces as well as the outside-I'm inclined to give up on it. It seems not even worth the effort anymore, as I come to realize more and more everyday that people are just plain too brainwashed to be "changed".

I've even lost several (i thought) good friends over this issue. Family is next I fear. And, no, i by no means "obsess' over this, or make it the only conversation when I associate with people. I have always remained calm and presented our "side" with easy to understand dumbed-down "omg-did-u-watch-american-idol-last-night" type terms-to no avail.

Yesterday, I had this 50-60 yr old moron in a Chevy 1500 pickup with the obligatory "McCain/Palin" sticker on his back driver window tell me I should be sent to prison and/or EXECUTED for having a Ron Paul sticker on my car. At a stop light, in the middle of the day WITH my kids in the car. He then intentionally kept getting in front of me and slamming on his brakes, trying to provoke a response. I pulled into a gas station, thinking he'd just keep going...well, he did, only to have turned around and come back. When we exited the store, there he was with his with his buddy in the passenger seat yelling obscenities at me and the like.

I told them to move the truck so I could be on my way, and that THEY didn't want trouble. Then this guy says he's gonna kick my ass right there and "set me straight". I said "I'd be happy to oblige you, believe me-however, I have 2 small children here, and if you'd like, we can meet somewhere later-be sure you have a couple friends with you to at least make it a challenge for me...All this generated was more "Paultard" type insults, and they sped off(TBH, the "inner me" was wishing my kids weren't there, as these 2 were now threatening me with physical violence-and I wanted to show them that I'd tie both their skinny old asses into a fucking knot right there in that parking lot...)

Point being, there's a million of these types in the south land. We've all seen the same trucks I'm talking about-I see no less than 5 a day in my area when I'm driving around. After yesterday, I'm feeling I may be better of by "getting off the radar" from these types, which, as I said-are EVERYWHERE down here. Not usually being one to back down in any stretch of the definition of backing down, I have removed the sticker, as I dont need this type of shit going on with my kids in the car, especially considering I'm always armed and dont want to have to shoot someone in front of the kiddos...:(:(.

I dunno, I'm just bummed, Thanks for listening to my rant.

GunnyFreedom
07-25-2010, 12:14 PM
We've made amazing progress since 2007, but even if we had 99%, there would still be the 1% of total morons. We will NEVER be shut of morons like the sort you describe above, but they are becoming more vocal because they are feeling endangered -- with good cause.

Each and every one of us gets to the point of burnout. Restoring the Constitutional Republic of the United States is hard work, it's thankless work, and it will take literally years if not decades.

Keep the long view, when you get to this point, take a 2 week vacation from politics and you will come back more refreshed and motivated than you know.

But if you do NOT take these little vacations, you run the risk of becoming completely burned out and returning to apathy forever.

We have made too much progress and are making too much progress for our freedom warriors to all get permanently burned out.

Take a vacation from politics and refresh. You will be way, way happier for it, and more sane also.

Kotin
07-25-2010, 12:15 PM
I know how you feel..

BLS
07-25-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm about at my wits end, people. After an 8 1/2 year "career":rolleyes: in the USCG, and spending about 3 of it trying to "educate" people from the inside of the armed forces as well as the outside-I'm inclined to give up on it. It seems not even worth the effort anymore, as I come to realize more and more everyday that people are just plain too brainwashed to be "changed".

I've even lost several (i thought) good friends over this issue. Family is next I fear. And, no, i by no means "obsess' over this, or make it the only conversation when I associate with people. I have always remained calm and presented our "side" with easy to understand dumbed-down "omg-did-u-watch-american-idol-last-night" type terms-to no avail.

Yesterday, I had this 50-60 yr old moron in a Chevy 1500 pickup with the obligatory "McCain/Palin" sticker on his back driver window tell me I should be sent to prison and/or EXECUTED for having a Ron Paul sticker on my car. At a stop light, in the middle of the day WITH my kids in the car. He then intentionally kept getting in front of me and slamming on his brakes, trying to provoke a response. I pulled into a gas station, thinking he'd just keep going...well, he did, only to have turned around and come back. When we exited the store, there he was with his with his buddy in the passenger seat yelling obscenities at me and the like.

I told them to move the truck so I could be on my way, and that THEY didn't want trouble. Then this guy says he's gonna kick my ass right there and "set me straight". I said "I'd be happy to oblige you, believe me-however, I have 2 small children here, and if you'd like, we can meet somewhere later-be sure you have a couple friends with you to at least make it a challenge for me...All this generated was more "Paultard" type insults, and they sped off(TBH, the "inner me" was wishing my kids weren't there, as these 2 were now threatening me with physical violence-and I wanted to show them that I'd tie both their skinny old asses into a fucking knot right there in that parking lot...)

Point being, there's a million of these types in the south land. We've all seen the same trucks I'm talking about-I see no less than 5 a day in my area when I'm driving around. After yesterday, I'm feeling I may be better of by "getting off the radar" from these types, which, as I said-are EVERYWHERE down here. Not usually being one to back down in any stretch of the definition of backing down, I have removed the sticker, as I dont need this type of shit going on with my kids in the car, especially considering I'm always armed and dont want to have to shoot someone in front of the kiddos...:(:(.

Brother....I feel your pain.
For a year and a half I told my friends, coworkers and family about Libertarianism and Ron Paul. The economy was going to crash, the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq would NOT end, regardless of who was elected and what they promised. 1 person.....my best friend....agreed and started educating himself. (although he still thinks if we leave Iraq it'll be a mess).

Two days ago I'm having a beer with my Dad and we're talking about all of these things I had 'prognosticated' and how his business (that I work for) needs to be fiscally constrained because bad times are coming ahead.

He tosses out "You know, I can't believe I voted for that stupid son of a *****."

I said "who?" (because he told me he was going to vote for Ron Paul).

He said "Obama. That guy doesn't have a clue."

I was :(.

I said "Well, then you're part of the problem. Everything Ron Paul said would happen is happening and you didn't listen, and THAT is why I'm CONVINCED we're screwed in this country. There is too much corruption within the power-elite and they'll never give it up until they are all lynched".

He said "You what this country needs? Another revolution. Because if we don't do that, nothing will ever change. Ron Paul won't ever get elected because he doesn't promise anyone anything. He won't give you free stuff. He wants to take it away. He wants to stop spending (and taxing) and nobody will elect him for that. And if somehow he does get elected...they'll kill him."

I agreed.

At this point, if Ron Paul runs, I will do everything in my power to help him get elected.

However, in the mean time I'm buying brass and primers because there's only 2 way this country can go and I'm not betting my life on Ron winnning in 2012.

As far as the guys in the truck, you showed a lot of restraint for not kicking the dogshit out of both of em. Some people are just stupid dude. Carry your concealed weapon, mind your own business and defend yourself when necessary.

Thanks for your service.

payme_rick
07-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Yah, taking a break is a must... even if you do not get away from it completely, just make something else the bigger item for a little bit...

hell football season needs to hurry the hell up, It'll help me ...

Fishing helps most of the time, but with my main fishing buddy being a deputy, I sometimes spend a lot of the day/weekend trying to get through to him on the drug-war etc...

coastie
07-25-2010, 12:31 PM
We've made amazing progress since 2007, but even if we had 99%, there would still be the 1% of total morons. We will NEVER be shut of morons like the sort you describe above, but they are becoming more vocal because they are feeling endangered -- with good cause.

Each and every one of us gets to the point of burnout. Restoring the Constitutional Republic of the United States is hard work, it's thankless work, and it will take literally years if not decades.

Keep the long view, when you get to this point, take a 2 week vacation from politics and you will come back more refreshed and motivated than you know.

But if you do NOT take these little vacations, you run the risk of becoming completely burned out and returning to apathy forever.

We have made too much progress and are making too much progress for our freedom warriors to all get permanently burned out.

Take a vacation from politics and refresh. You will be way, way happier for it, and more sane also.

Thanks for the encouragement, Gunny.:)Shit, I took a LONG time off from it, hence my absence here on the forums the past year or so. But i hear you, I'm not giving up in the sense of being a "warrior"- I got your six if it comes to that, you can bet your life on it;)

As far as the guys in the truck, you showed a lot of restraint for not kicking the dogshit out of both of em. Some people are just stupid dude. Carry your concealed weapon, mind your own business and defend yourself when necessary.

Thanks for your service.

The only restraint I had was because my kids were there. I wouldn't have done anything until they advanced on me, and I can assure you the outcome wouldn't have been what they expected.;)

You're welcome, I suppose, for my "service"...but unless I was directly involved in a search and rescue case that saved you, I wasn't much of any service to you.:(

Thanks for the encouragement guys, but I feel we're losing this battle more and more everyday, even with the progress we've made:mad:

phill4paul
07-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, Gunny.:)Shit, I took a LONG time off from it, hence my absence here on the forums the past year or so. But i hear you, I'm not giving up in the sense of being a "warrior"- I got your six if it comes to that, you can bet your life on it;)

The only restraint I had was because my kids were there. I wouldn't have done anything until they advanced on me, and I can assure you the outcome wouldn't have been what they expected.;)

You're welcome, I suppose, for my "service"...but unless I was directly involved in a search and rescue case that saved you, I wasn't much of any service to you.:(

Thanks for the encouragement guys, but I feel we're losing this battle more and more everyday, even with the progress we've made:mad:

Hey coastie don't sweat it. Reevaluate.

Family, friends, neighbors, community, town, county, state then federal. In that order. If you have the love, support and understanding of the first then proceed to the second. Once you have that proceed to the next. Then you will always have those that support you if you have a bad day on any other level.

When it comes down to it we have no choice. We live our lives and make ourselves known to those around us because we care. Nothing wrong with caring.

To those of us that have sailed there is the saying when parting.."Fair winds and following seas." Perhaps a new fair-thee-well might read " Red skies at night be damned...a tempest, to every sailor, so that he may find the measure of his worth."

Anti Federalist
07-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Move out of the Dirty South.

Seriously.

libertarian4321
07-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Three years ago, no one outside of Texas and a few libertarians knew who Ron Paul was, now just about everyone knows about him and his ideas. That seems like progress to me. You can't change the world overnight.

coastie
07-25-2010, 01:14 PM

Seriously.

A financial impossibility, unfortunately:(

I'm from New England, and then was stationed in the town i was born in( Portsmouth, NH) for 3 yrs. So, no thanks,I HATE the cold weather.:D

Out west-double triple no thanks, I can deal with the assholes down here, the liberals out west would just flat out enrage me.

phill4paul
07-25-2010, 01:18 PM

Seriously.

It is not like that everywhere here. Nor is it better in some places in the north. It just sucks all the way around.

November will be a determination for where I want to position myself. Because that time is coming.

Seriously.

Stary Hickory
07-25-2010, 02:38 PM
There is a hard core moron element to GOP types. They are the ones who view politics like a sports game. I mean maye 20% of GOPers are hardocore idiots who will not change their minds no matter what logic you use.

The others are accessible. And I always include independents in the GOP type category. For what it's worth it's worse on the left. The same element can be found there...the hate the rich crowd who has no idea how an economy works. So it goes both ways.

What you need to realize is these morons don't matter, the people that engage in intellectual discovery and apply themselves make the world go around. Look at how the founding fathers started out.

LibertyMage
07-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Having like minded people around helps. Find your local Campaign for Liberty.

Travlyr
07-25-2010, 03:18 PM
We are up against a very strong anti-liberty propaganda campaign. TV (CSI, COPS, NCIS, Law & Order, Criminal Minds, Rookie Blue, Castle, News shows, PBS, etc. & even beat-em-up blow-em-up movies), Talk Radio (NPR, Progressive, Conservative, News, etc.), Internet (Google News, Yahoo, AOL and all the corporate monsters), Newspapers & Magazines. Few if any of these have individual liberty as a priority. Indeed they mostly have an agenda to propagate corporatism. :(

Many people, or most, still believe in the divisive left/right, liberal/conservative, Democrat/Republican paradigm. Divide and conquer.

We've got a lot of work to do... I just wish there was some silver reward attached. ;)

Vessol
07-25-2010, 03:26 PM
I've had mixed results. Oftentimes I try to find common ground, the economy is a great issue to bring up lately.

I had my English teacher pretty sold on Ron Paul until I mentioned my aversion towards the Welfare State. We got in a big debate in the classroom where he accused me of being a rich kid who doesn't understand the plight of the poor, such as those in the ghettos of Chicago like him. I explained to him that I grew up in poverty and that when I moved out to NC, I was living out of a van for around 2 months. That surprised him and we shook hands and agreed to disagree. Good fellow, former marine, and like all marines was stubborn. However I was able to get him curious about the Fed and let him borrow my copy of 'End the Fed'. Yet to hear back from him, but he's pretty busy my friend tells me teaching a lot over the summer.

Finding common ground is definitely the best route to go. Whether it be the economy with conservatives. The foreign policy used to be a great way to connect with liberals, but not much anymore amoungst the hardcore Obama-ites.

Probably my greatest antagonist is complete apathy, like my roommate for example and my father too. Good people, but does not care whatsoever about politics or economics. I try explaining to them that the economic situation and even the foreign policy and limits of individual freedoms threaten us all individually, but it usually falls on deaf ears.

JustinTime
07-25-2010, 03:27 PM
I get a lot of agreement when I "preach", but then people just go on with their lives and its like they never heard me. That disillusions me more than the few who react with hostility.

Its odd that someone from the right acted this way. Honestly, although Ive had disgreement from people of all stripes, conservatives generally seem much more willing to listen than liberals.

The only time Ive ever had one who could be regarded as a traditional right-winger get really angry was my old barber, who was a John Hagee disciple, and went berserk when I said it wasnt our responsibility to defend Israel.

michaelwise
07-25-2010, 03:30 PM
I just thank God every day the complete and total economic collapse of the US will take care of people like that.

Uriel999
07-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Dude really? That is nuts, I still to this day get pro Ron Paul reactions when driving down the road. I still see vehicles with Ron Paul 2008 stickers. I wish that guy would have tried that with me. :D

Dr.3D
07-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Perhaps those people who are acting like that are just upset, knowing all is going to change come November. :D

speciallyblend
07-25-2010, 04:02 PM
I feel your pain, WOLVERINES CO MTNS:) not as cold as you think;) get you out of that country;) ROCKY MTN HIGH John Denver . If someone did that crap to me i would have taken my beat up car and just start ramming their vehicle;) sob's

speciallyblend
07-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Dude really? That is nuts, I still to this day get pro Ron Paul reactions when driving down the road. I still see vehicles with Ron Paul 2008 stickers. I wish that guy would have tried that with me. :D

Yeah, i get 100% Great Feedback everywhere i go. If anyone tried that crap with me as op said. I would call the police and let them know to come get me about to ram someones vehicle;) i would give them directions;) kid is 22 , i will tell her to take pics!! you have some cool op;) i would of lost it!!!

randolphfuller
07-25-2010, 04:10 PM
And he still polls at 7%.

speciallyblend
07-25-2010, 04:13 PM

the gop better make that change real soon or the gop will be screwed;)

heavenlyboy34
07-25-2010, 04:17 PM
OP, since you have a unique perspective, you should blog about your experiences. Help me "flood the zone" with anti-state/anti-war writing, and we'll have a better chance against TPTB. :cool:

lynnf
07-25-2010, 04:47 PM
remember,the price of liberty is eternal vigilance.

before you feel sorry for yourself, consider what these patriots went through:

(I haven't verified the accuracy of this website, but it jibes with other accounts that I have read)

http://www.davidstuff.com/opinion/founding.htm

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died. Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons in the Revolutionary Army, another had two sons captured. Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they? Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated. But they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. A few weeks later he died from exhaustion and a broken heart. Norris and Livingston suffered similar fates.

Such were the stories and sacrifices of the American Revolution. These were not wild eyed, rabble-rousing ruffians. They were soft-spoken men of means and education. They had security, but they valued liberty more. Standing tall, straight, and unwavering, they pledged: "For the support of this declaration, with firm reliance on the protection of the divine providence, we mutually pledge to each other, our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor."

They gave you and me a free and independent America. The history books never told you a lot of what happened in the Revolutionary War. We didn't just fight the British. We were British subjects at that time and we fought our own government! Perhaps you can now see why our founding fathers had a hatred for standing armies, and allowed through the Second Amendment for everyone to be armed.

Anti Federalist
07-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Some here would say they were idiots for doing that.

(I haven't verified the accuracy of this website, but it jibes with other accounts that I have read)

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died. Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons in the Revolutionary Army, another had two sons captured. Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they? Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated. But they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. A few weeks later he died from exhaustion and a broken heart. Norris and Livingston suffered similar fates.

Such were the stories and sacrifices of the American Revolution. These were not wild eyed, rabble-rousing ruffians. They were soft-spoken men of means and education. They had security, but they valued liberty more. Standing tall, straight, and unwavering, they pledged: "For the support of this declaration, with firm reliance on the protection of the divine providence, we mutually pledge to each other, our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor."

They gave you and me a free and independent America. The history books never told you a lot of what happened in the Revolutionary War. We didn't just fight the British. We were British subjects at that time and we fought our own government! Perhaps you can now see why our founding fathers had a hatred for standing armies, and allowed through the Second Amendment for everyone to be armed.

heavenlyboy34
07-25-2010, 05:30 PM
They made all those sacrifices, only to be sold out by the Federalists.:(:p:mad:

Anti Federalist
07-25-2010, 05:35 PM
They made all those sacrifices, only to be sold out by the Federalists.:(:p:mad:

Quite right.

Which is why I am who I am. ;)

heavenlyboy34
07-25-2010, 05:36 PM
http://blog.mises.org/10218/happy-we-should-restore-the-monarchy-and-rejoin-britain-day/

The celebration of the 4th of July as if it’s a libertarian holiday is a bit much to bear. Secession from Britain was a mistake. It’s easy enough to realize that the Constitution was not some libertarian achievement as conservatives and libertarians delude themselves into thinking. The Declaration of Independence in 1776 led to all the standard evils of war and raising an army–in the words of Jeff Hummel, “unfunded government debt, paper money, skyrocketing inflation, price controls, legal tender laws, direct impressment of supplies and wide-spread conscription.” Hmm, doesn’t sound very libertarian to me. (See also below on the language of the Declaration.) Stealing, conscripting, enslaving, murdering. The glorification of democracy. The expansion of empire. The entrenching of corporatist interests with the state. The substitution of traditional order with worship of the democratic state.

Monarchy isn’t perfect, as Hoppe argues, but the move from monarchy to democracy was not “progress” as even some libertarians have mistakenly believed (as Hoppe notes, “although aware of the economic and ethical deficiencies of democracy, both Mises and Rothbard had a soft spot for democracy and tended to view the transition from monarchy to democracy as progress”). When I suggest it was a mistake to secede from Britain, libertarians–brainwashed by both Saturday morning Schoolhouse Rock propaganda (No More Kings; Fireworks; Three-Ring Government; The Preamble) and Randian pro-America mythology–freak out. “You want us to have a king? How terrible?!” or “But Britain is more socialist than we are!” Well, first, I don’t want us to have a king. I’d prefer we have no state: no kings or congresscritters or revenuers. But we have a king now, under another name; he can tax and murder us, just like the dreaded monarchian boogey-man; the state is overlord of all our property, as in feudalism. And rejoining socialist Britain now would be terrible–but would the European monarchies have become democratic socialist states if America had never left Britain?

America’s secession led to a constructivist new utopian order based on a “rational, scientific” paper document and the rejection of traditional, unwritten limits on state power, thus setting the world on the path of democracy and democratic tyranny, and all the evils of the 20th Century-WWI, WWII, the Holocaust, the Cold War, Communism, Naziism, Fascism, Great Depressions I and II (see Goodbye 1776, 1789, Tom for links). America’s reckless utopianism corrupted its mother state, rendering it unfit to rejoin. But had we never left? One percent tax paid to a distant King over the ocean sound appealing, anyone? (See Would YOU sign the Declaration of Independence?)

If I didn’t hate states and flags so much I might just fly the ole Union Jack this Saturday!

What about the Declaration itself? How libertarian is it? Well, let’s just take a few choice parts:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,

–Well, yes, except for Africans and women, and young men who don’t want to be drafted or executed for desertion, and probably atheists and witches.

that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness — that to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,

This is not the reason governments form–to secure our rights. This is just a sales job for the criminal state.

deriving their just powers

This falsely implies the state can have just powers. It cannot.

from the consent of the governed, that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends,

This implies government does not necessarily become destructive–that good goverment is possible. It’s not.

it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government,

But not to have no government, right? Why does it deny us the right to get rid of the state altogether?

laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.

In other words, they should be free to try one utopian experiment after another.

Update: Some friends sent me some other useful links debunking the “libertarian” aspects of the American Revolution: First, regarding US independence, see A gentle introduction to Unqualified Reservations (part 2), by Mencius Moldbug (“So: let’s put it as bluntly as possible. At present you believe that, in the American Revolution, good triumphed over evil. This is the aforementioned aggregate. We’re going to just scoop that right out with the #6 brain spoon. As we operate, we’ll replace it with the actual story of the American Rebellion – in which evil triumphed over good”). According to Moldbug everything people know about the American Revolution is BS. He recommends this wonderful piece: Strictures upon the Declaration of the Congress at Philadelphia, a devastating attack on the Declaration of Independence and American Revolution written by one of its contemporaries, Thomas Hutchinson, the former Governor of Massachusetts.

And let’s not forget Mencken’s classic The Declaration of Independence in American — an excerpt:

That any goverment that don’t give a man these rights ain’t worth a damn; also, people ought to choose the kind of goverment they want themselves, and nobody else ought to have no say in the matter. That whenever any goverment don’t do this, then the people have got a right to can it and put in one that will take care of their interests. Of course, that don’t mean having a revolution every day like them South American coons and yellow-bellies and Bolsheviki, or every time some job-holder does something he ain’t got no business to do. It is better to stand a little graft, etc., than to have revolutions all the time, like them coons and Bolsheviki, and any man that wasn’t a anarchist or one of them I. W. W.’s would say the same. But when things get so bad that a man ain’t hardly got no rights at all no more, but you might almost call him a slave, then everybody ought to get together and throw the grafters out, and put in new ones who won’t carry on so high and steal so much, and then watch them. This is the proposition the people of these Colonies is up against, and they have got tired of it, and won’t stand it no more. The administration of the present King, George III, has been rotten from the start, and when anybody kicked about it he always tried to get away with it by strong-arm work. Here is some of the rough stuff he has pulled: …

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-25-2010, 05:40 PM

I guess I am lucky because in my shop we had 3 to 4 staunch libertarians pro-Paulians. They call me Mr. Libertarian in my shop haha. I've had countless late night debates, and I think I have won over a few guys (at least superficially!). But, yeah I agree a lot of people in the forces are die hard Neo-Cons. I have one guy who I....let's say dislike here, where the feeling is mutual, and he is the biggest Neo-Con EVER. I was talking to him the other day and he was boasting how he is going to AIPAC's conference this fall...::::vomit::::: That said, find people that share your view. FSP FSP FSP FSP :D

heavenlyboy34
07-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Quite right.

Which is why I am who I am. ;)

hoo-ray for thee! :D:cool:

RM918
07-25-2010, 05:55 PM
That is incredibly severe. I usually don't hear the 'Paultard' slur outside of extremely liberal areas (the term appeals to them because they consider themselves smarter than everybody and using it lets them bypass actually having to prove it). The neocons just tend to settle for 'liberal'. I really wish your kids weren't there, too. Hearing they got away scot free and made you take your sticker off ticks me off to no end. Didn't you get their plate number? That's some pretty severe harassment right there, maybe you should sic their beloved police state on them.

Meatwasp
07-25-2010, 06:25 PM

That is because he has the Libertarian label pasted on him.
He is pro life,a Christian conservative republican.

coastie
07-25-2010, 06:52 PM

I do, too. This was definitely the worst "reaction" I've ever had around here. Totally unexpected.

Looking back, I think they may have seen the XD .45 poke out my waistband when I pointed at them while this was going on, probably why they sped off. The guys also seemed to be on some "liquid courage", too, which explains why their old asses tried me...5' 10" 220lbs, and I'm not "fat" by any means.:D

CCTelander
07-25-2010, 06:56 PM
IMO, one good hard-core, principles Voluntaryist is worth a thousand, even ten thousand who refuse to listen right now anyway. Besides, the masses are largely irrelevant.

heavenlyboy34
07-25-2010, 07:01 PM
IMO, one good hard-core, principles Voluntaryist is worth a thousand, even ten thousand who refuse to listen right now anyway. Besides, the masses are largely irrelevant.

w00t! :D:cool:

coastie
07-25-2010, 07:02 PM

I disagree...the "masses" are the ones who are gonna turn on "us"...they're gonna rat as all out when it comes time-my reasoning for getting "off the radar";)

Dr.3D
07-25-2010, 07:12 PM
That is because he has the Libertarian label pasted on him.
He is pro life,a Christian conservative republican.

And the media took particular pleasure in making that distinction every time they mentioned him.

Captain Bryan
07-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Three years ago, no one outside of Texas and a few libertarians knew who Ron Paul was, now just about everyone knows about him and his ideas. That seems like progress to me. You can't change the world overnight.

This.

CCTelander
07-25-2010, 07:21 PM
I disagree...the "masses" are the ones who are gonna turn on "us"...they're gonna rat as all out when it comes time-my reasoning for getting "off the radar";)

Nothing wrong with getting "off the radar" at all. In fact, I fully support withdrawing as much as is humanly possible from the system. The more self-sufficient we become, and help others to become, the better.

malkusm
07-25-2010, 08:34 PM
I've had mixed results. Oftentimes I try to find common ground, the economy is a great issue to bring up lately.

I had my English teacher pretty sold on Ron Paul until I mentioned my aversion towards the Welfare State. We got in a big debate in the classroom where he accused me of being a rich kid who doesn't understand the plight of the poor, such as those in the ghettos of Chicago like him. I explained to him that I grew up in poverty and that when I moved out to NC, I was living out of a van for around 2 months. That surprised him and we shook hands and agreed to disagree. Good fellow, former marine, and like all marines was stubborn. However I was able to get him curious about the Fed and let him borrow my copy of 'End the Fed'. Yet to hear back from him, but he's pretty busy my friend tells me teaching a lot over the summer.

Finding common ground is definitely the best route to go. Whether it be the economy with conservatives. The foreign policy used to be a great way to connect with liberals, but not much anymore amoungst the hardcore Obama-ites.

Probably my greatest antagonist is complete apathy, like my roommate for example and my father too. Good people, but does not care whatsoever about politics or economics. I try explaining to them that the economic situation and even the foreign policy and limits of individual freedoms threaten us all individually, but it usually falls on deaf ears.

The bold statement is the most critical thing to me. Build bridges wherever you go, and you'll have more people crossing the divides from every direction.

As far as liberals - I talked with environmentalists last week about the importance of keeping the laws and regulations local in order to achieve things like sustainability, farmers' markets, and locally grown organic food. You just have to take the issues that are more important to THEM (civil liberties, environment, etc.) and show them that government gets in the way of what they want.

I agree with you that the apathetic block is the hardest to reach....they are almost impossible to engage in any meaningful way.

speciallyblend
07-25-2010, 08:57 PM
The bold statement is the most critical thing to me. Build bridges wherever you go, and you'll have more people crossing the divides from every direction.

As far as liberals - I talked with environmentalists last week about the importance of keeping the laws and regulations local in order to achieve things like sustainability, farmers' markets, and locally grown organic food. You just have to take the issues that are more important to THEM (civil liberties, environment, etc.) and show them that government gets in the way of what they want.

I agree with you that the apathetic block is the hardest to reach....they are almost impossible to engage in any meaningful way.

great points malkusm! that is exactly the approach we are using in leadville co, self-sustainability(countywide) and farmer's markets and locally grown food and getting government out of it asap!!! we have ron paul democrats and ron paul republicans that get it and the people are supporting them:) Liberty Has No Party!!!! Liberty Candidates 2010, Ron Paul 2012

Vessol
07-25-2010, 08:59 PM
I don't think I'm alone in saying that I'm glad that not everyone shares my views. The world would be a boring place if there was no one to debate.

I did find an unlikely libertarian at work though. I work at a restaurant and I found that one of my co-workers is a big Ron Paul support. The guy is awesome. He made a life of being a tour manager for rock bands like ACDC and ZZ Top. And now he's retired and home schools his kids, while working part time at the restaurant I work at. We get in trouble a lot for talking too much about politics. It's been rare for me to talk to someone who is well..so old, that has these ideas.

silus
07-25-2010, 09:10 PM

Your problem may not be in what you communicate but how you are communicating it. That may be something to think about.

The encounter you had is an anomaly, and I highly disagree that there are a lot, let alone "millions" of people who would react the same.

You may be disillusioned, but you've been at it for 8.5 years. Now think about Ron Paul. He has been at this full tilt for god knows how long and had just received nationwide recognition in his 70s. Honestly, your disillusionment seems kind of out of touch with the reality of how these ideas are spreading.

Jace
07-25-2010, 09:21 PM

I know where you're coming from.

Have you read Benjamin Franklin's autobiography? He writes about how to speak to people about politics. Even about how to change minds without your opponent knowing it.

I recently read it during a period of disillusionment and enjoyed it thoroughly. Of course, the anarchists won't enjoy it, but if you are a patriot and admirer of the Constitution and want to learn a little about one of America's greatest citizens, then you might find it a good read.

Vessol
07-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Why wouldn't the anarchists enjoy it, what does that even have to do with this topic?

heavenlyboy34
07-25-2010, 09:43 PM
I know where you're coming from.

Have you read Benjamin Franklin's autobiography? He writes about how to speak to people about politics. Even about how to change minds without your opponent knowing it.

I recently read it during a period of disillusionment and enjoyed it thoroughly. Of course, the anarchists won't enjoy it, but if you are a patriot and admirer of the Constitution and want to learn a little about one of America's greatest citizens, then you might find it a good read.

What makes you think that? Ben Franklin had plenty of good ideas outside of his statist tendencies.

Jace
07-25-2010, 09:56 PM
What makes you think that? Ben Franklin had plenty of good ideas outside of his statist tendencies.

Read his book, if you haven't already. I was suprised to read in his own words how heavily involved he was in government. He worked so hard in business that he became financially independent while still a young man, and then turned himself over to public life. He was very enlightened about government, but was not opposed to it, and played a hand in setting up some of the public institutions that are part of our present-day life in America. He also had some views on paper money that I don't think many people on this board would approve of.

I understand Ron Paul's attraction to the gold standard but I'm kind of luke-warm on it, and like Ron's competing currencies views better. I plan to read up on colonial scrip, because I know little about it.

Anyway, I like Ben Franklin's pragmatism about life, business and government very much.

Sentient Void
07-25-2010, 11:08 PM
Jace, I dont know your position on money, but you might be interested in'Free Banking' under an FRB system. That's the truest and most successful and stable forms of banking and monetary systems under a legit free market to date, I'd say. Example - Canada had no bank failures during the great depression (well, one bank failure but it was for other reasons), and had such a system.

cswake
07-25-2010, 11:49 PM

Thank you for your service.

I've even lost several (i thought) good friends over this issue. Family is next I fear.

Yesterday, I had this 50-60 yr old moron in a Chevy 1500 pickup with the obligatory "McCain/Palin" sticker on his back driver window tell me I should be sent to prison and/or EXECUTED for having a Ron Paul sticker on my car. At a stop light, in the middle of the day WITH my kids in the car. He then intentionally kept getting in front of me and slamming on his brakes, trying to provoke a response.

Not usually being one to back down in any stretch of the definition of backing down, I have removed the sticker, as I dont need this type of shit going on with my kids in the car, especially considering I'm always armed and dont want to have to shoot someone in front of the kiddos...:(:(.

You did the right thing - family, friends, and your own life should not be jeopardized in the cause of liberty. It seems like you're frustrated with your approach and others have made some good suggestions on trying something different.

Helping someone to understand a Constitutional perspective on foreign engagements is particularly tough due to the pre-established mental biases. Liberals generally like the nation-building wars since they have the opportunity to "create" a perfect society. A lot of proud Republicans are instantly negative once they see or hear or Ron Paul's name since they believe him to be weak on National Defense.

Beyond what's been recommended, I'd suggest a non-confrontational approach that allows a lot of people to comfortably approach you to talk about politics. Instead of the Ron Paul sticker, put a USCG or a Constitutional-type sticker of your choosing. Plant seeds and ideas, ask questions, and politely lead people to question their beliefs when you have chance - otherwise just shoot the shit and make friends. Remember, he or she has to like you *first*, before they'll consider what you say.

Tonewah
07-26-2010, 09:35 AM

Don't let it get you down!

I live in the dead-center of Alabama. In July of '07, we put up a full sheet of plywood 'Ron Paul r3V0Lution' sign in my yard. I've had people accuse me of being everything from a far-right, militia-type to a "Ru Paul". Now, some of those same people, after watching the 'For Liberty' movie, and with all the Tea Party publicity, are offering financial and actual show-up-and-participate support to our liberty campaign. Folks are waking up.

The idiots that harassed you were the kind of toothless wonders that would've harassed you for anything, just because they're that kind of trash. If they're too dumb to know that their candidate, Palin, endorsed a Paul, then they're too dumb to reason with. Casting pearls before swine, and all that. They're the kind of Beavis and Buttheads that kill each other over an argument about whether Metallica or AC/DC is the best band. They're probably drug informants that stay out of jail by ratting out their friends. I wouldn't worry about them, but you should probably contact the police or sheriff about them, if they are really menacing you that much.

Todd
07-26-2010, 09:43 AM
There is a hard core moron element to GOP types. They are the ones who view politics like a sports game. I mean maye 20% of GOPers are hardocore idiots who will not change their minds no matter what logic you use.

Speaking of sports analogies and the frustration with the general electorate.

I'm thoroughly convinced that if Peyton and Eli Manning were to run against each other as the Democratic and Republican nominees for President, the overwhelming majority of voters would support them as much as they did for Obama or McCain.

Wouldn't the inevitable MSM line of BS about how much "experience" and "leadership" on the field they bring to the political table, be a hoot? :D

Anti Federalist
07-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Welcome aboard.

Your first post made me crack up, especially the Beavis and Butthead remarks.

LOLz.

I live in the dead-center of Alabama. In July of '07, we put up a full sheet of plywood 'Ron Paul r3V0Lution' sign in my yard. I've had people accuse me of being everything from a far-right, militia-type to a "Ru Paul". Now, some of those same people, after watching the 'For Liberty' movie, and with all the Tea Party publicity, are offering financial and actual show-up-and-participate support to our liberty campaign. Folks are waking up.

The idiots that harassed you were the kind of toothless wonders that would've harassed you for anything, just because they're that kind of trash. If they're too dumb to know that their candidate, Palin, endorsed a Paul, then they're too dumb to reason with. Casting pearls before swine, and all that. They're the kind of Beavis and Buttheads that kill each other over an argument about whether Metallica or AC/DC is the best band. They're probably drug informants that stay out of jail by ratting out their friends. I wouldn't worry about them, but you should probably contact the police or sheriff about them, if they are really menacing you that much.

coastie
07-26-2010, 03:22 PM

Actually, you're wrong...

The types that drive these newer type Chevy pickups with the McCain stickers are almost unanimously Big (R) retired military types, the type that think the younger generations (I'm 33)are "ungrateful" for their "service" in 'Nam, die hard party over principle types:rolleyes:

This was not the typical "toothless" wonder around here, as their too fucking stupid to even care about elections...