PDA

View Full Version : the signs definitely work! (update on our booth from this weekend)

McDermit
10-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Ok, long-winded and wordy... but interesting, I think. Part of it I wrote, and part of it is copy/pasted/edited from an email our organizer sent me about the fair. It should all make sense though. Haha. Bare with me!

We recently started branching out to towns in NEPA where we didn't previously have meetup activity. During the Paint the Town weekend, the organizer and her mom ventured out on their own one night and placed appx 80 signs in the town where my ex grew up (she hadn't so much as driven through in over 5 years.) Small town of about 6 or 7000 residents, mostly older folks. Very political area, GOP majority. They got signs on every major road through the town, all the roads entering and leaving, outside of the stores and restaurants, and every decent sized intersection. Yard signs, banners, pole signs. Saturation at it's finest.

Then this Sunday, we headed down to that same town for their annual Octoberfest street fair. Amy got the group an awesome booth location at one of the intersections... there was no way anyone could have missed it. I was only able to stay for about an hour, but they were there all day. And throughout the day, people stopped in and said "Oh, Ron Paul! I've seen his signs all over town!" or asked "Who's this Ron Paul guy? His signs are down near..."

We had maybe 6 people say they've never heard of him. Far more had seen the signs and just weren't sure who he was. A few people had heard of him on talk radio recently, and a couple of folks had been following his career for years.

There was a young woman who stopped in and asked for a yard sign early in the day. She asked how much they were, and we told her that they were free so long as she promised to display it. She seemed thrilled, and asked if she could have two. No problem. Then one of the big 2x4 signs that were propped against the table caught her attention, and her eyes lit up as she asked, "Could I have a big one?!" Her mom looks at her and goes "You are NOT putting that thing in your yard!" She smiled and nodded, and exclaimed that she most certainly was! She lives on a busy street where plenty of people will see it. She went on to explain that she'd worked in DC for a while... and Ron Paul was her favorite congressman while she was there. :D We gladly gave her the giant sign, along with some bumper stickers and literature to share with her friends.

We had a couple people ask why there were signs all over this town, but none or hardly any in the neighboring towns. (We still have work to do!)

We had one couple stop in to tell us that they'd just gotten back from Las Vegas and had seen his signs everywhere and couldn't figure out who he was. They asked if he was being plugged by the unions or something. lol. Nope, just average folks. They loaded up on literature and then headed down to the next booth. A couple hours later, the same couple popped back in the booth and asked if they could have some bumper stickers and pens. Certainly! They ended up taking some Constitution Mosaic flyers and 2 yard signs as well.

We had at least a dozen people stop in and say something to the effect of "I just hope he makes it to the primaries!" or "It's really a shame they're saying he's second tier!" Even more people who were newly introduced to him said they liked what he stood for. One woman asked if she could make a donation on the spot... we gave her a donation form, and then she came back later and asked how much we wanted for a copy of RP's book. I told her that if she promised to pass it along to a friend or family member when she was finished, then it was free. She smiled, put the book in her bag, and said that she'd pass it on AND donate an extra $25 to Ron Paul for it. (We gave away 6 books throughout the day. All to people who inquired about them, and ALL promised to share them when they finished reading.)

A good number of middle aged and older folks wanted to make it known that they always get out and vote. Lots of people added "...and I vote!" after whatever positive comment they had. A few remarked, "I'll look for his name on the ballot!" A handful said they'd watch for him in the debates before making a decision. And hatred of Hillary seemed to be the most common sentiment amongst the people we spoke to. A few anti-Obama folks as well. We had one older gentleman perch himself outside our booth for over an hour, telling everyone who passed that Obama refused to wear a flag pin and that he'd never support such a person. (He wasn't an RP supporter, just a vet who took offense to something that I personally don't see as being a big deal. Most people seemed to laugh him off, but nearly all stopped in our booth after talking to him.)

The best surprise of the day were the three young gentlemen and the cute little girl who showed up at the booth wearing Ron Paul t-shirts and asking, "OK, so now who is this Ron Paul guy?" :D They weren't meetup members, and weren't even from the area. They drove quite a ways to be there though! I'm not sure if they even knew we were going to have a booth... but their sole purpose for being there was to walk around downtown, telling people about Ron Paul. And boy, did they do an awesome job! They gave every vendor a slim jim, they got the county's GOP booth to put out a stack of RP literature, and they walked the street making sure that everyone saw Ron Paul's name a few more times throughout the day. They also managed to give out a few handfuls of Ron Paul buttons, making sure that everyone who got one put it on their shirt or hat immediately.

Towards the end of the afternoon, the county GOP chairman stopped by the booth. He introduced himself, and then immediately proclaimed, "So it's not a joke!" :confused: Haha. He said he'd seen all the Ron Paul signs around town and in peoples yards... but he had no idea who Ron Paul was or where the signs were coming from, and he and his fellow county GOP members had initially assumed that someone was putting them out as a joke! :eek: Well, by the end of the conversation, he was quite interested in learning even more about Ron Paul. He was very impressed with our visible local support, and he invited all RP supporters in the county (and those from surrounding counties) to attend the county's GOP functions. It's a very active county politically, and the GOP has a huge presence there. They have rallies, dinners, booths, and other events nearly every week. The chairman is going to be keeping in touch and will keep us updated on all the local events. This could really give us a huge boost locally. And if we can get one pro-RP county, our neighbors will likely take notice.

Then today, Amy got 2 phone calls from local Ron Paul supporters who had found her number online and wanted to know what was going on. :confused: They googled Ron Paul and the town's name and landed on the meetup page where her number is posted. One guy was a Libertarian who voted for RP in 1988 and just saw the signs popping up in the area locally and wanted to know who was behind it and whether it was a GOP effort or the campaign was sponsoring it, and wanted to know how he could get some signs and help out. Another was a woman asking if we knew how she could get some bumper stickers and literature. She'd been at the booth on Sunday, and just found out about RP for the first time. She's hooked and wants to spread the word, but doesn't use the internet. (Her son found the number for her.)

It's been a really great couple of days for us locally. I'm stoked. And now I can't wait to get out and put up more signs! Now we know for sure that they work, so it seems imperative that we get some up ASAP in the areas that haven't been hit yet. I'd like to find a way to coordinate it so that we can hit them via another avenue after they see the signs though... the one-two effect really does seem to have a great impact. Seeing signs isn't enough. People still don't know who Ron Paul REALLY is, aside from some dude running for president. We need to get the info into their hands so they have that "Oh, the guy with the signs!" reaction and realize that not only does he have loal support, but he has a great message as well!

TechnoGuyRob
10-15-2007, 04:42 PM
...That. Was. Awesome.

steph3n
10-15-2007, 04:44 PM
nice, great writeup!

katao
10-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Great work - y'all continue to inspire me.

yoshimaroka
10-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Thank you for the detailed report.

I've noticed a few people reporting sightings on non-RP forums. One example:

Hey, so I was driving through town 30 minutes ago and passed through Little Five Points, Atlanta's minuscule version of 'The Village' (except it's not) and there was a rally going on at the corner park there.... something I haven't seen lately... what was especially confusing was when my eyes focused on the sign.... it was for Ron Paul 2008.... what the????

McDermit
10-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Pictures! With the captains as written by our organizer:

http://www.weickers.com/RP/TamaquaHeritageFestival/iphone-548.jpg
http://www.weickers.com/RP/TamaquaHeritageFestival/iphone-456.jpg
This is the booth after the wind ripped through a few times. We had to use boxes to hold the bumper stickers down, but everything else pretty much stayed put. Well, everything but the tent! (Three of the five canopies on that street actually lifted up at one point. We were fighting the wind the entire day!)

http://www.weickers.com/RP/TamaquaHeritageFestival/dino.jpg
That dude on the right came back as we were packing up for the day and asked for more literature and pens. His buddies (he's in the Elk's club, mostly old guys, tons of vets, all into local politics) saw him with the stuff he got from us and told him to get more for them. He said he didn't want to be a pest, but obliged anyway. I'm certainly glad he did! He took about 20 pens and a huge stack of slimjims back to the guys!

http://www.weickers.com/RP/TamaquaHeritageFestival/guys2.jpg
Two of the guys who had stopped to help out. The little one was picking out a button that she wanted on her shirt. Too cute!

http://www.weickers.com/RP/TamaquaHeritageFestival/iphone-448.jpg
Even the Clydesdales wanted to know who Ron Paul was!

http://www.weickers.com/RP/TamaquaHeritageFestival/iphone-462.jpg

http://www.weickers.com/RP/TamaquaHeritageFestival/iphone-483.jpg
One of the guys patiently waiting for the horses to cross so he could go give Liberty Cards to more people.

http://www.weickers.com/RP/TamaquaHeritageFestival/iphone-524.jpg
We initially had the big blue RP for Pres sign hanging there, but someone wanted it.

McDermit
10-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Thank you for the detailed report.

I've noticed a few people reporting sightings on non-RP forums. One example:

Hey, so I was driving through town 30 minutes ago and passed through Little Five Points, Atlanta's minuscule version of 'The Village' (except it's not) and there was a rally going on at the corner park there.... something I haven't seen lately... what was especially confusing was when my eyes focused on the sign.... it was for Ron Paul 2008.... what the????

Haha. It's great that people are noticing! We really ARE everywhere.

jm1776
10-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Awesome! Great job!

Looks like you guys did just fine without panels! :)

McDermit
10-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Awesome! Great job!

Looks like you guys did just fine without panels! :)

Thanks. :D I was worried about it, but then again, I didn't have much of an idea as to what Amy had up her sleeves. She came up with the canopy, displayware, and the giant signs and hadn't really told us about any of it.

And go figure, I printed out 500 issues flyers, 100 straw poll flyers, and 50 each of the statement of faith and the pro-peace flyer. And then FORGOT ALL OF THEM AT HOME. Didn't even realize I didn't have them until I got down there and started helping Amy unpack her car. Doh.

McDermit
10-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Oh, and the pens were a great draw. People who would have otherwise not even looked twice at the booth came over and took them. Gave us a chance to make sure they also took literature of some sort.

And at one point, she said the guys were walking around town with pens clipped to slimjims, and handing them out to people.

The pens really are great. How many times do you "lose" your pens? How many times do you end up with someone else's? I know my pops used to come home with about 15 different pens every week. And once a month, mom would gather them all up and send them back to work with him to put back in the office. And on top of that, any time someone picks up their own RP pen, they see his name again. It's a constant reminder that there's a candidate out there who isn't like the rest.

Rivington Essex
10-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Here is an idea we do in NY now:

1. Clipboard that says, I want to learn more about ron paul.
2. Get there email addresses.
3. Sign them up at the official site.

That way they see the sign, they ask about him, and they get an e-mail. We call this "making an event a campaign."

jonahtrainer
10-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Haha. It's great that people are noticing! We really ARE everywhere.

Yep. Great work everyone. I just drove across the country from FL to CA and saw Ron Paul signs everywhere. This is amazing. Just keep it up. We are growing and the Freedom Fire is burning across America.

McDermit
10-15-2007, 06:42 PM
Here is an idea we do in NY now:

1. Clipboard that says, I want to learn more about ron paul.
2. Get there email addresses.
3. Sign them up at the official site.

That way they see the sign, they ask about him, and they get an e-mail. We call this "making an event a campaign."

That's a really good idea. Thanks for sharing!

american.swan
10-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Absolutely marvelous work, absolutely marvelous results...Very inspiring...I sure hope every nook and cranny of the USA can be reached before it's too late.

manny
10-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Absolutely marvelous work, absolutely marvelous results...Very inspiring...I sure hope every nook and cranny of the USA can be reached before it's too late.

+1 :) :)

NewEnd
10-15-2007, 07:58 PM
thanks for the update

pennycat
10-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Orlando is much the same. We put up a lot of signs. On telephone poles (post high for long lasting results;-), in the median, etc. Now when someone hands a slim jim to a waiter or someone in a grocery store, they say, 'Oh this is the guy with all the signs, sure I'll take that.'

Wish the campaign would kick in and help us with cheaper sign and literature prices.

McDermit
10-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Orlando is much the same. We put up a lot of signs. On telephone poles (post high for long lasting results;-), in the median, etc. Now when someone hands a slim jim to a waiter or someone in a grocery store, they say, 'Oh this is the guy with all the signs, sure I'll take that.'

Wish the campaign would kick in and help us with cheaper sign and literature prices.

We don't have issues getting supplies since we have people with money helping out, but if you or someone else in your group is maxed out, have them contact the campaign. They'll hook them up.

Or if the group organizer calls, they *might* send you materials.